• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the 3 biggest Hollywood movies released this year so far, 2 of them are videogame adaptations

Uncharted is currently less than $4M from becoming the most successful videogame to movie adaptation ever at the domestic box office, surpassing the first Sonic.
Sonic 2 is also coming and fast which means in a few weeks, both Uncharted and Sonic 2 will be the 2 biggest videogame to movie adaptations ever at the domestic BO. Both movies released less than 2 months apart from each other.

There's also some other bigger news in my opinion, which is the fact both Uncharted and Sonic 2 are now the 2 biggest hollywood movies of the year so far, only bested by The Batman.

The results for Uncharted specially are nothing short of phenomenal. The movie doing over 3x its opening weekend at the domestic BO is something no one expected, specially with The Batman debuting 2 weeks after...

I think we're not talking about this nearly enough but there's definitely a shift happening in how Hollywood looks at videogame franchises...at least everyone seems to be on the lookout for IPs to adapt right now. Every other week we hear about something new in the works.

With Halo doing great at Paramount +, The Witcher renewed for a season 3, The Last of Us TV show coming to HBO (and with a huge budget apparently), Ghost of Tsushima movie being written as we speak, a Twisted Metal TV show, a God of War show coming to Amazon Prime, Jak & Daxter movie in talks, Mario movie coming, etc...is Hollywood turning to videogames and betting in them more than ever?

Is there a videogame IP you'd like to see as a movie or TV show?

Cyborg

Saw Uncharted yesterday, it was pretty fun to watch! Nothing special but I understand why its a succes.

Who gives a shit if they were high earners if they sucked ass. Sequels will have far lower viewers or wont even get greenlit due to that risk since the first one sucked. Sonic and Detective Pikachu are the only good ones that deserve more movies. I havent seen Uncharted yet but I doubt it's better than Tomb Raider which was also kidna average(surprised its getting a sequel tho after so many years).

Zeroing

Banned
Well, the more they try to make a videogame to movie adaptations more are the chances we get a really good movie, not saying it will be a masterpiece but closer...

Who gives a shit if they were high earners if they sucked ass. Sequels will have far lower viewers or wont even get greenlit due to that risk since the first one sucked. Sonic and Detective Pikachu are the only good ones that deserve more movies. I havent seen Uncharted yet but I doubt it's better than Tomb Raider which was also kidna average(surprised its getting a sequel tho after so many years).
Your entire post is a contradiction, my god.

Basically everything you mention in your post (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc) are getting sequels, lmao.

Your entire post is a contradiction, my god.

Basically everything you mention in your post (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, etc) are getting sequels, lmao.

Then you should learn to read better I guess. What or where exactly did I contradict myself? Uncharted has not been confirmed to be getting a sequel and the Tomb Raider one is the only surprise which is also still up in the air as of now.

Mr Moose

Then you should learn to read better I guess. What or where exactly did I contradict myself? Uncharted has not been confirmed to be getting a sequel and the Tomb Raider one is the only surprise which is also still up in the air as of now.
Uncharted is a new hit movie franchise for the company

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Is uncharted really good or is it just because Tom holland is in it? I haven’t seen it yet.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Is uncharted really good or is it just because Tom holland is in it? I haven’t seen it yet.

I'm guessing the movie is not bad (though not great), which helps a lot.

But yeah, it's Holland at the end of the day. He's pretty much the biggest teenage heart throb since Steve Buscemi entered his late 40's.

That doesnt mean they'll make a new one. I already explained this in my previous post, a lot of first movies get tons of ticket sales/viewers because of hype and whatnot, if it sucks, it is unlikely they'll risk making a new one seeing as a most people who went to the first one are prone to just wait or not go at all to the second one if it the first was average or worse. I mentioned Tomb Raider as a surprise but even that is only a getting a sequel as a huge risk as it wasnt really a hit. It will most likely not pay off.

Hollywood found something even more boring than comics to adapt.

I'm yet to see a good movie or series based on a game. It seem like as long as it is mediocre and not completely garbage it's already seen as a big success, the bar is set really low.

Last edited:
That doesnt mean they'll make a new one. I already explained this in my previous post, a lot of first movies get tons of ticket sales/viewers because of hype and whatnot, if it sucks, it is unlikely they'll risk making a new one seeing as a most people who went to the first one are prone to just wait or not go at all to the second one if it the first was average or worse. I mentioned Tomb Raider as a surprise but even that is only a getting a sequel as a huge risk as it wasnt really a hit. It will most likely not pay off.

They made a sequel to fucking Venom. Of course they're going to make a sequel to Uncharted

Imagine thinking the film industry actually gives a shit if their movies suck ass. If the box office is huge they will always try to capitalise on that

Last edited:
Yeah and Halo is the biggest paramount+ release - doesn’t make it good sadly
I mean...Paramount + doesn't have a lot of tv shows made for it yet. Saying Halo is the biggest show in a streaming service that has yet to have its big tv show could mean anything without actual numbers.

If Halo had released in HBO who knows where it would place...

But i haven't seen it so i can't speak for its quality yet.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Here is your preview of the next 2 decades of Hollywood entertainment:

- Every mildly successful video game will be made into a movie.

- Most of them will be attempts to launch a new “cinematic universe” with multiple movies, TV shows, video games, etc

- we will get hyped whenever a game we like is getting a movie adaptation, even though deep down we know it’s going to be a turd

- we will bitch endlessly when a game we like gets an unfaithful adaptation that doesn’t do it justice (I have my “I can’t believe they chose Jaden Smith to play Bionic Commando” manifesto all ready to go)

- 95% will be garbage, but even a lot of the mediocre ones will be very profitable.

- when a movie is both a commercial and critical flop, we will get endless pleasure by making fun of it

- during decade 2, most of the failed adaptations from decade 1 will be rebooted

Last edited:

ssringo

"There's also some other bigger news in my opinion, which is the fact both Uncharted and Sonic 2 are now the 2 biggest hollywood movies of the year so far, only bested by The Batman."

Another way of phrasing it is that The Batman is bigger than the other 2 movies combined.

Not sure if that speaks to The Batman's success or that there's nothing else of note for the year.

Last edited:
Not shocking. Hollywood IMO is out of ideas and are creatively bankrupt. Once in awhile, you might get something unique and original, but that seems to rarely be the case as time goes on. Well, at least it’s not another superhero/comic book movie I suppose.

Last edited:

Fbh

I'm surprised Detective Pikachu didn't do bigger numbers given how Nintendo can usually put the Pokemon name on basically anything and make a billion.

Good for gaming IPs I guess.
Personally the only one I really liked from all these recent adaptations was Arcane

BouncyFrag

I’d watch a Solaire/Onionbros movie that shows how their world degenerates into the nightmare that we faced in first Dark Souls.
a0f26442564199.57d04e0f2fe6a.jpg

Last edited:
"There's also some other bigger news in my opinion, which is the fact both Uncharted and Sonic 2 are now the 2 biggest hollywood movies of the year so far, only bested by The Batman."

Another way of phrasing it is that The Batman is bigger than the other 2 movies combined.

Not sure if that speaks to The Batman's success or that there's nothing else of note for the year.
Sonic 2 literally came out last weekend. That won't stay true for a long time.

Also...no one expected a comic book movie with the biggest DC character ever to do worse than the first Uncharted movie ever, come on now.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Nerd culture wins again!

1. Comicbook movie
  2. Videogame movie
  3. Videogame movie

The only thing missing from this is if JJK0 was mass released in the US and it made number 4.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Seems a bit odd to try and link them as the films do have video games in name but not linked to any of the films at all.

sainraja

Uncharted was a good movie. I am not sure what people's expectations were but I thought it was great.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't want to be a hater but it's just so incredibly underwhelming. It's everything you've seen before in things like Indiana Jones, National Treasure, Romancing the Stone, etc. I went with the wife a few weeks back cause we figured it'd be fun. Even she didn't like it and she tends to like most things. I'm not a film snob but I also don't give a pass to everything, I mostly just want to be entertained when I go to the theater.

No chemistry between the characters, action scenes are just kinda there from time to time. It's not a terrible movie in itself, it's just kind of a waste of time. Watch it with popcorn on a streaming service and forget about it 10 minutes later.

Tom Holland sucks as Drake too. His performance was fine but just doesn't capture the vibe of Nathan and the script was just there. Nothing about the movie was memorable. Mark Wahlberg as Sully felt more like Nathan.

They made a sequel to fucking Venom. Of course they're going to make a sequel to Uncharted

Imagine thinking the film industry actually gives a shit if their movies suck ass. If the box office is huge they will always try to capitalise on that

Nah, depends. Venom is riding the superhero/villain train. Risk is minimal. Uncharted is just an action flick most ppl dont care.

The Alien

Banned
Sonic was decent. Not amazing, but good.
Haven't seen Uncharted (though $140M on a $120M budget isn't a runaway success).
Just watch RE Welcome to Raccoon City (LOL).
I enjoyed the recent MK movie - though will admit it ain't amazing.

Did see an interview with Pedro Pacsl about TLOU TV show. He hasn't played the games or bothered to watch them. He wants to keep a "healthy distance" between the game & show. Needless to say, I'm not confident on the quality here.

I'm looking for high quality adaptations. So far haven't gotten one.

Doom85

Go see "Everything, everywhere, all at once" and say that with a straight face...plus the northman comes out next week. Film is in a great place.

Exactly (also the Nicholas Cage movie which I’ve heard good buzz about so far). A24 may not be for everyone, but their mere existence destroys the arguments that no modern movies are original.

Besides, so many classic movies weren’t original either. Jon Carpenter’s The Thing was a remake/re-adaptation of a book, The Godfather was based off a book, Blade Runner was based off a book, hell, the Star Wars OT took stuff from the Lord of the Rings books, Flash Gordon, Kurosawa films etc. So much of older media that people push as “original” really wasn’t. Not saying they weren’t great films, but people are deluding themselves in thinking they were groundbreaking films made entirely on their own as opposed to being heavily or entirely adapted from an existing work.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes. No effort, no creativity, no riscs. Just quick cash grabs, remakes, prequels, sequels of already known stuff.

But this isn't true. There are many movies in theaters that are these at all! Some of them are even winning awards at the Oscars.

ethomaz

Banned
I did not watch the others.

But Uncharted is pretty good.
Holland really did a grete Nate but Wahberg is so-so as Sully.
The story and sequences are everything what you expected from Uncharted.

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Nah, depends. Venom is riding the superhero/villain train. Risk is minimal. Uncharted is just an action flick most ppl dont care.

You seem to not understand that the only thing they care about is if something makes money; they'd make a multi-phase Danielle Steele Cinematic Universe if it delivered hundreds of millions of dollars.

Uncharted made money. That's why there will be more of them.

Seems a bit odd to try and link them as the films do have video games in name but not linked to any of the films at all.

Uncharted isn't linked to the video games? What do you mean?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You seem to not understand that the only thing they care about is if something makes money; they'd make a multi-phase Danielle Steele Cinematic Universe if it delivered hundreds of millions of dollars.

Uncharted made money. That's why there will be more of them.

Uncharted isn't linked to the video games? What do you mean?

Neither drake or sully look like they do in the games, the action set pieces are not like the games. There are similar things but its different. To be expected

EruditeHobo

Neither drake or sully look like they do in the games, the action set pieces are not like the games. There are similar things but its different. To be expected

Sure. That's what it means to adapt something. But to say it's not "linked" to the games doesn't make sense... it's a direct adaptation of the game series.

Top Bottom