• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Throwback: Aloy looks a little off.......

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
My god...now I've read a bunch of online articles frothing at the mouth about that Tweet that showed Aloy on the left and then the version more like the actress but with makeup and 'perfect teeth' on the right. Those people would just have a fit and drop dead if they saw this thread I guess. But they all miss the point of the comments (and the Tweet was basically just a sardonic comment on things, not a serious proposal like they want to pretend it was!). The articles claim that men are being 'triggered' by more 'realistic portrayals of women like this or (get this) like Abby in TLOU2. The FUUUCK? Abby was 'realistic?' LOL. Now THAT is some damn funny stuff right there!

These people don't get that they are actually being ANTI-FEMINIST with their views. A lot of the comments or objections are from the developer themselves saying they made the character of Aloy look LESS like the actress portraying her because they felt that she would look TOO feminine and that made her look WEAK! Do they not see what that is saying? It is saying that a woman cannot be 'feminine' and be strong at the same time! How the FUCK is that a 'feminist' point of view?

Look, bottom line, is that they have MILDLY masculinized Aloy as part of an ideological mode of thought. They flat out admitted that in a way that SHOULD be insulting to feminists. That is a sign of just how crossed up all this ideological madness has become. Women must be more masculine so they don't look feminine and weak...but at the same time...masculinity is bad and men shouldn't be that. So what...men need to be feminine and women masculine? Wouldn't we just have the same thing we have today, just gender swapped? It makes no sense.

In the end, the changes to Aloy are pretty minor and I certainly don't care one whit. I'll still play the game and enjoy it if it's good, which I expect it to be. But the developers comments and reasoning on how they changed Aloy's appearance in the original game and in this one, is fucked up. Period. Western developers are going to take this shit too far, mark my words. Then their products will fail in the market and they will rage and flail about and blame the consumers for being 'sexist' or whatever suits their mood. Then they'll have to make changes again to recover sales. Same thing that has happened to Hollywood with a few movies in recent years. They can be pissed off all they want, but if people don't buy the products, they won't succeed. That won't stop them from pushing this too far though and maybe in the end that's all to the good as it will educate them on what exactly their market supports and what it does not.

I dunno man.. In the end.....on the internet, pretty much anything that gets put out there- half the people will hate and the other half will love. It's exhausting trying to track all the trends and feedback. Look, if you DO feel strongly about this kind of thing then you only have one course of action. Your only power is the power of your wallet and money. So if you feel strongly about something, support it with your money, or conversely DON'T support it with your money if you don't like it or agree. That's about it. You won't have much success in trying to convert people with opposite views to your line of thinking. Half the people are going to agree with you anyway and the other half never will!
I saw a video of an ex lead character artist at Guerrilla reacting to the new horizon gameplay trailer and well, if you watch it you will know exactly why Aloy looks the way she does. The person was at Guerrilla for the first two years of this title's development and she likely had a huge hand in how Aloy looks in this game.

Not going to say anymore but it all makes sense now. There is definitely a lot of pandering going on at Western studios and its because of the people that have been hired. They pretty much have no choice.

And yes, Abby does not look realistic lmao. I can definitely buy her biceps and other muscles but they turned her entire body type into a man's. I played the entire game wondering if she was trans and if that's the reason for the pre launch backlash, but she ended up being a regular chick just poorly designed. I didn't know if i was more pissed at the idiots who made plot points a boycott worthy issue or at naughty dog who took me out of the game with her laughable character design that was more of a distraction that kept me from being absorbed in the story.

Last edited:

GymWolf

My god...now I've read a bunch of online articles frothing at the mouth about that Tweet that showed Aloy on the left and then the version more like the actress but with makeup and 'perfect teeth' on the right. Those people would just have a fit and drop dead if they saw this thread I guess. But they all miss the point of the comments (and the Tweet was basically just a sardonic comment on things, not a serious proposal like they want to pretend it was!). The articles claim that men are being 'triggered' by more 'realistic portrayals of women like this or (get this) like Abby in TLOU2. The FUUUCK? Abby was 'realistic?' LOL. Now THAT is some damn funny stuff right there!

These people don't get that they are actually being ANTI-FEMINIST with their views. A lot of the comments or objections are from the developer themselves saying they made the character of Aloy look LESS like the actress portraying her because they felt that she would look TOO feminine and that made her look WEAK! Do they not see what that is saying? It is saying that a woman cannot be 'feminine' and be strong at the same time! How the FUCK is that a 'feminist' point of view?

Look, bottom line, is that they have MILDLY masculinized Aloy as part of an ideological mode of thought. They flat out admitted that in a way that SHOULD be insulting to feminists. That is a sign of just how crossed up all this ideological madness has become. Women must be more masculine so they don't look feminine and weak...but at the same time...masculinity is bad and men shouldn't be that. So what...men need to be feminine and women masculine? Wouldn't we just have the same thing we have today, just gender swapped? It makes no sense.

In the end, the changes to Aloy are pretty minor and I certainly don't care one whit. I'll still play the game and enjoy it if it's good, which I expect it to be. But the developers comments and reasoning on how they changed Aloy's appearance in the original game and in this one, is fucked up. Period. Western developers are going to take this shit too far, mark my words. Then their products will fail in the market and they will rage and flail about and blame the consumers for being 'sexist' or whatever suits their mood. Then they'll have to make changes again to recover sales. Same thing that has happened to Hollywood with a few movies in recent years. They can be pissed off all they want, but if people don't buy the products, they won't succeed. That won't stop them from pushing this too far though and maybe in the end that's all to the good as it will educate them on what exactly their market supports and what it does not.

I dunno man.. In the end.....on the internet, pretty much anything that gets put out there- half the people will hate and the other half will love. It's exhausting trying to track all the trends and feedback. Look, if you DO feel strongly about this kind of thing then you only have one course of action. Your only power is the power of your wallet and money. So if you feel strongly about something, support it with your money, or conversely DON'T support it with your money if you don't like it or agree. That's about it. You won't have much success in trying to convert people with opposite views to your line of thinking. Half the people are going to agree with you anyway and the other half never will!
Hardcore feminists hates hot women, simple as that.

GymWolf

I saw a video of an ex lead character artist at Guerrilla reacting to the new horizon gameplay trailer and well, if you watch it you will know exactly why Aloy looks the way she does. The person was at Guerrilla for the first two years of this title's development and she likely had a huge hand in how Aloy looks in this game.

Not going to say anymore but it all makes sense now. There is definitely a lot of pandering going on at Western studios and its because of the people that have been hired. They pretty much have no choice.

And yes, Abby does not look realistic lmao. I can definitely buy her biceps and other muscles but they turned her entire body type into a man's. I played the entire game wondering if she was trans and if that's the reason for the pre launch backlash, but she ended up being a regular chick just poorly designed. I didn't know if i was more pissed at the idiots who made plot points a boycott worthy issue or at naughty dog who took me out of the game with her laughable character design that was more of a distraction that kept me from being absorbed in the story.
Let me guess, she is some land whale with rainbow color?!

cormack12

Gold Member
Apparently she has been dropped from her contract with Samsung as she can no longer fit in the video call app

wOKoDz.jpg

This is one I will never understand. Some of y'all need to grow the fuck up. The animation on her face is incredible, it's a technical achievement, and her character model suits her environment. She's a great character in the original, on top of that.

This is one I will never understand. Some of y'all need to grow the fuck up. The animation on her face is incredible, it's a technical achievement, and her character model suits her environment. She's a great character in the original, on top of that.

Her face is fatter than the rest of her body. It doesn’t seem to be physically consistent with the rest of her body fat. You need to grow up yourself.

Cloud in FF7R confused the hell out of me at times. Why have they made him so feminine?
Feminine? I thought he looked great. Sure, he wasn’t super macho or anything, but I never thought he looked feminine. Then again, Japan usually likes their make characters handsome or pretty while the West typically likes their males more macho, rugged and even ugly at times.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I think they just have too much free time with no hobbies and a keyboard. If you wanna understand insanity that will drive you nuts.

Last edited:

rnlval

They are the real sexists, they think that a woman can't be strong unless she looked like a man because only men are strong:messenger_expressionless:

I like how Japanese creators make games and movies with strong, feminine and beautiful women and catering to both the male audience and the female audience, like this Japanese movie i just watched with my wife, i liked it for the action scenes and for the eye candy and she also liked it for the strong beautiful women fighting with Samurai swords:messenger_grinning_smiling:
East Asian arts have a higher focus on martial arts which is skills-based hand combat, hence east Asian arts have "beautiful hot" women with excellent martial arts.

ksdixon

I really hate how TLOU2 flashback Ellie, HZD2 Aloy and Tomb Raider Definitive Edition Lara all look.

It's like they have a design in mind, and then just screw with it later on in the name of "realism" or "motion capture", but the later versions just look awful! Objectively more "real-looking" overall, I suppose - but nowhere close to, and not a patch on, the original versions.

TLOU2 flashback scene to TLOU1 Ellie is the most offensive, it just looks like they've slapped her TLOU1 features onto a totally different shaped head and done a half-hearted job of matching them. If anything, she looks more like Maisie Williams, but she has wonky spaced eyes anyway.

skwsxcdfte351.png

Last edited:

ksdixon

Interesting, do you have a link to the video?

Top Bottom