• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah and I think at some point the show implied that there weren't any Weirwoods south of Winterfell, which of course is different than the book.

Is there ever a description of what a wedding ceremony includes under the old gods in the books?

Yes eventually.

RangersFan

[ASOS]
well shit, looks like I won't be getting to sleep anytime soon. just read 4 chapters of catelyn, arya, catelyn, arya with the frey, tully wedding at the twins, and well fuck. what a torrent of emotions i've been put through the past hour. i've been up since 6 am this morning and I should be sound asleep as I will be getting up in less than 5 hours and I can't falls asleep. GRRM, damn you and getting me emotionally attached, and getting me hopeful for a reunion only to shatter everything :(. fuck, my day is gonna be shitty tomorrow I can't fall asleep!

I really, really wish I didn't read tonight before bed...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
[ASOS]
well shit, looks like I won't be getting to sleep anytime soon. just read 4 chapters of catelyn, arya, catelyn, arya with the frey, tully wedding at the twins, and well fuck. what a torrent of emotions i've been put through the past hour. i've been up since 6 am this morning and I should be sound asleep as I will be getting up in less than 5 hours and I can't falls asleep. GRRM, damn you and getting me emotionally attached, and getting me hopeful for a reunion only to shatter everything :(. fuck, my day is gonna be shitty tomorrow I can't fall asleep!

Muahahaha! I love reading reactions to this scene.

This reminds me, why did Robb get married under the Seven anyway? Shouldn't he have been married under the Northern gods?

Because just like in the books, Robb is more Tully than Stark (in appearance at least) and [ASOS]
gets too obsessed about making his mark in the south

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
You actually think that they would skip over that? It's pretty important...lol.

Well, I'd imagine that (ASOS)
having a one armed character for the rest of the series' duration might pose some problems down the road for the production team, which might make them reconsider it.

[ASOS]

Just wait till the end...No epilogue has had me jaw drop like that one and given me a "fuck yeah" moment like that one did.

Trasher

Well, I'd imagine that (ASOS)
having a one armed character for the rest of the series' duration might pose some problems down the road for the production team, which might make them reconsider it.

Meh, hiding a hand isn't all that hard. Especially with their budget now. I am curious as to if they will give him his golden hand ever though.

1. Is this season based on a specific book, and if so, which one?
  2. Would it be more advisable to watch the series first before reading the books? Does doing one before the other ruin anything?

Drazgul

1. Is this season based on a specific book, and if so, which one?
  2. Would it be more advisable to watch the series first before reading the books? Does doing one before the other ruin anything?

1. "Season 3 covers approximately the first half of A Storm of Swords, although Benioff and Weiss told Entertainment Weekly last year that each season is “really a continuation of our adaptation of the series as a whole,” meaning “moving some stuff forward helps a lot and moving some stuff back helps a lot.”"

2. Debatable, I don't think you'd ruin one or the other either way.

1. "Season 3 covers approximately the first half of A Storm of Swords, although Benioff and Weiss told Entertainment Weekly last year that each season is “really a continuation of our adaptation of the series as a whole,” meaning “moving some stuff forward helps a lot and moving some stuff back helps a lot.”"

2. Debatable, I don't think you'd ruin one or the other either way.

Does S3 stop at a particular chapter or is it more complicated than that?

Drazgul

It's happening, you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

(spoilers, btw)

Meh...
If they had Talisa just end up as a Lannister spy, that would be terrible. I think that was the very first thing many people thought last year. It would just make Robb and everyone look like even greater idiots than the show already makes them out to be.

Thats the sort of thing I'd be worried about with the TV show though. If they give Talisa some big role that deviates greatly from Jeyne in the books or they simply kill her off, it kind of spoils Jeyne in the books. Like, I doubt they'd kill off Talisa unless Jeyne doesn't have anything more to do in the books. What with some of the speculation regarding whether she is maybe pregnant with Robb's heir in the books.

Anyone here have Optimum (cablevision) HBO on demand? How soon after the episode do they add it to HBO on demand? The show starts at 9pm but my 5 month old daughter bed time is near 10pm. She starts to get very fussy near 9:30 and I rather not have any interruption. So typically how fast are they on adding the episode to HBO on demand?

Ark

Just wait till the end...No epilogue has had me jaw drop like that one and given me a "fuck yeah" moment like that one did.

AFFC
Sure, it was cool until Brienne's final chapter in AFFC. I never liked Catelyn anyway, and undead-Catelyn is even worse than alive-Catelyn ever was.

Not that I ever really enjoyed Brienne's chapters, but I was beginning to actually enjoy her journey before she had her face eaten.

RangersFan

[ASOS]

so yeah, just woke up and i'm taking a half day. man, I just couldn't sleep, didn't fall asleep till around 4:30. a testament to the writing of GRRM. I know a few people replied, but I won't read any other post in this thread till I finish ASOS, hopefully by tomorrow.

I'd say the book does a decent job in splitting itself into two halves.

Yeah I don't think there will be any radical changes in arc stopping points, but they have a little wiggle room with each arc. (Based on what we've seen and just my speculation of the arcs, I think that the season will contain a bit more than half of the book, probably around the 60% mark for most arcs.)

-------
A couple of late night appearances last night:

-Dinklage on The Daily Show
-Coster-Waldau on Jimmy Kimmel | Part 2

(Book AND show spoilers)

As cool as that would be, pretty sure all the inconsistencies there are just poor writing. I know for a fact that Talisa dies at the RW. In fact, she is the first one killed.

That's pretty bad if it's the case. I was thinking that it would make sense for her to die at the wedding as a spy but at Catelyn's hands in the place of the Frey fool.

Eidan

Meh...
If they had Talisa just end up as a Lannister spy, that would be terrible. I think that was the very first thing many people thought last year. It would just make Robb and everyone look like even greater idiots than the show already makes them out to be.

Thats the sort of thing I'd be worried about with the TV show though. If they give Talisa some big role that deviates greatly from Jeyne in the books or they simply kill her off, it kind of spoils Jeyne in the books. Like, I doubt they'd kill off Talisa unless Jeyne doesn't have anything more to do in the books. What with some of the speculation regarding whether she is maybe pregnant with Robb's heir in the books.

ASOS
I don't see any scenario, whether it's Talisa as a Lannister spy, Talisa not as a Lannister spy, or Jeyne and the marriage to preserve honor, where Robb doesn't come off as an idiot.

Because Robb is a fucking idiot.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Yeah I don't think there will be any radical changes in arc stopping points, but they have a little wiggle room with each arc. (Based on what we've seen and just my speculation of the arcs, I think that the season will contain a bit more than half of the book, probably around the 60% mark for most arcs.)

-------
A couple of late night appearances last night:

-Dinklage on The Daily Show
-Coster-Waldau on Jimmy Kimmel | Part 2

Is it me or did Nikolaj Coster-Waldau just stole one of Louis CK's jokes?
Also, holy crap at Peter Dinklage. That interview is just so weird. He just speaks in one-liners.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Is it me or is Nikolaj Coster-Waldau just stole one of Louis CK's jokes?
Also, holy crap at Peter Dinklage. That interview is just so weird. He just speaks in one-liners.

Yea I thought the Dinklage interview was rather odd as well. But he did he have me laughing at the "mountains of New Jersey" line.

Ristlager

The first to episodes in season 3 was reviewed in the lates local newspaper here in Norway. Didn´t say much about the plot, but said it was a far better start then season 2. They gave it 5 out of 6 (yes we use the famous dice scale here to measure things)

Crisco

Banned
It's happening, you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsTVnZm9hFg

(spoilers, btw)

I buy it, why not. Granted, "WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS" kinda shook my faith in the writers/showrunners having any notion of subtlety, but they aren't beyond redemption.

Meh...

Here's the thing, I think the show is a pretty reliable barometer of the significance of certain things in the books. (Series)
If Talisa just turns out to be an expendable spy who is killed, it confirms what GRRM already suggested about Jeyne, that the difference in descriptions of her was just an oversight. She probably isn't pregnant or important to the story at all going forward. Conversely, even though none of the characters comment on it at all, the broken old warhorn was included in the cache of dragonglass found at the Fist by Sam and co, which confirms to me that it probably is the Horn of Winter and will play a major role in the endgame of the story.

Trasher

ADWD
Well judging from the trailers you're guaranteed to get Theon and Ramsay.

I was a little shocked that they show what looks most definitely like Theon strung up being tortured in the trailers. There's even a scream at that part which sounds exactly like Alfie. It makes sense to use his character though because he was such a big focus in season two. You can't just leave him out. My question is about how much we will actually see him this season. Because what can they even do with his character this season? Obviously torture him, but you can't do that every episode. Will he just be in the background of Roose/Ramsay scenes? lol

3N16MA

Banned
I was a little shocked that they show what looks most definitely like Theon strung up being tortured in the trailers. There's even a scream at that part which sounds exactly like Alfie. It makes sense to use his character though because he was such a big focus in season two. You can't just leave him out. My question is about how much we will actually see him this season. Because what can they even do with his character this season? Obviously torture him, but you can't do that every episode. Will he just be in the background of Roose/Ramsay scenes? lol

[ASOS]:
A piece of Theon's skin is sent to Catelyn at the red wedding. Perhaps we get to see Theon being flayed.

Randdalf

[ASOS]:
A piece of Theon's skin is sent to Catelyn at the red wedding. Perhaps we get to see Theon being flayed.

ADWD

Won't that be lovely. I wonder how badly they're going to mutilate him, he might require some pretty serious makeup in later seasons.

argon

More detail on the attack:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/clive-mantle-ear-bitten-off-1784616

Clive, 55, was attacked at 4.30am yesterday after asking two rowdy men outside his room at a Travelodge to keep it quiet.

The piece of ear was retrieved before being reattached by surgeons after terrified Clive was rushed to hospital by police.

At first there had been just one man making a din when 6ft 5in Clive, wearing pyjama bottoms and a T-shirt, walked barefoot out of his room and asked him to quieten down.

Clive then went back into his bedroom but the man returned five minutes later with an accomplice.

The actor went into the corridor again, asked them to be quiet, and moments later he was set upon.

His agent, Bryn Newton, said: “On the first occasion, he’d said ‘can you keep the noise down please?’.

"He was very polite. It was 4.30 in the morning and he was very tired.

"He returned to bed but when he went back outside there were two drunken Scotsmen.

“He said to them ‘If you don’t keep the noise down I am going to call security’.

“That’s when they set about him. Even though he is a big guy they got him on the ground.

“One of them bit the top part of his right ear off. It was savage.

Sad to hear about Clive Mantle being attacked, but it's good news that they were able to reattach his ear.

Some of my pals were making House Sigils from the Game of Thrones website, so I decided to make my own...

553244_519628651156_525563399_n.jpg

IF you haven't done it, head over to This website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom