• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"House of the Dragon" FULL SHOW AND BOOK SPOILER thread!

Trilobit

Gold Member
Game of Thrones was very realistic in its depiction of sexism, greed, etc. that was part of life in medieval times. I have a hard time believing that racism isn't also a part of the HotD universe. In GoT each region had very distinct ethnical differences, so it was rather jarring that it wasn't the case in this show.

Having racism in the show wouldn't mean the viewers enjoy it just as viewers don't enjoy sexism and bigotry, but the previous show set the bar for the kind of horrible people that inhabit its world, so it breaks the illusion to have such progressive and including Valyrians.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Game of Thrones was very realistic in its depiction of sexism, greed, etc. that was part of life in medieval times. I have a hard time believing that racism isn't also a part of the HotD universe. In GoT each region had very distinct ethnical differences, so it was rather jarring that it wasn't the case in this show.

Having racism in the show wouldn't mean the viewers enjoy it just as viewers don't enjoy sexism and bigotry, but the previous show set the bar for the kind of horrible people that inhabit its world, so it breaks the illusion to have such progressive and including Valyrians.
We are just gonna have to accept the casting, even if it breaks the plot with Rhaenyra and Strong. Doesn't really matter, most of the Velaryions are doomed anyway.

GRRM had a few non-westerosi characters and they seemed to fit in all right. Certainly got less grief than Brianne of Tarth or Jon for being a bastard. Guess the class system, followed by nationality and paternal lineage, kinda trumps race in this type of system anyway.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
So close lets gooooo!!!

Cant wait, probably need to do an S1 rewatch this weekend and get refreshed.

Excited for this and The Boys to wash the taste of Disney's new look Star Wars out of my mouth.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So close lets gooooo!!!

Cant wait, probably need to do an S1 rewatch this weekend and get refreshed.

Excited for this and The Boys to wash the taste of Disney's new look Star Wars out of my mouth.
Yeah, I'm debating doing this just to be able to keep characters and actors straight but not sure I'll have the time. Shouldn't be too hard to get back into it though, I may just watch the last 2 eps of S1. I wonder if they will do any kind of time jump from S1-s2, some of the kid actors will look quite different otherwise but I suppose the main ones were late teens/young adult actors anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

I just hope eye-patch Aegon has been pounding protein shakes and hitting the gym these past 2 years so he looks the proper brute. Doubt Matt Smith will do the same but oh well, that's what padded armor is for :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Eh, that was a waaaaay tamer version of Blood and Cheese than I was expecting. Guess since they never had Maelor they sorta wrote themselves in a corner but I think they could have made it a far more stressful encounter with Alicent there was well like she should have been.

We get to see Alyn though, making him bald to hide his, presumably, white hair was clever. He is of course twice the age he should be and I bet his brother, Addam, won't be the dragonrider, Alyn will take Seasmoke (I think) instead. I hope they keep him a bastard of Corlys.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Kind of a subdued episode to start things off but I enjoyed it, glad to have this show back.
Yeah, I thought we would power through the Battle of the Burning Mill as well as Blood and Cheese, probably get that battle next ep.

I liked the talk with Stark, no mention of sending up a Targaryen daughter that I recall, but early mention of the 2000 "greybeards" the Winter Wolves, was nice.

I am curious where the prophecy talk stuff is going. I must be blanking it out of the latter seasons of GoT, or maybe they have potential spin-offs where it will come into play (Dunk and Egg stuff???)

jason10mm

Gold Member
Iz17jEP.jpeg

I added our poor Jaehaerys' death and truncated the tree to focus on the show. I need/make to find a good one with pictures of the show characters just to make it a little easier tracking who is who. I'm still holding out hope that we get Maelor or Daeron (though I guess he would be a Cole bastard unless Alicent can spin him as a late "gift" from her dying husband). Maelor gets such a tragic end, be a shame to skip over it entirely, but Daeron is kinda critical to the later days of the war, so I'm still surprised that he doesn't seem to exist.

This article suggests that he DID exist in the show, mentioned only by dialogue, but I can't imagine they will summon him out of the Aether now.

I did notice that the Rhaenyra actress slimmed down a little instead of fattening up like in the book. Gotta get ready to compete with those Alicent sex scenes I guess :p

Top Bottom