• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mance is 120 years old? Goddamn. So many details I miss when I read the books. I already read through them three times... and I still miss so many details @_o

I was joking about how old Ciarán Hinds looks in the role :lol.

Book Mance:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Mance_Rayder
"Mance is a big man, long legged and lean, broad in the chest and shoulders. His once long brown hair is now gone mostly grey, laughter lines appear at the corner of his mouth. [1] He has a sharp face and shrewd brown eyes.[2] He is an unremarkable-looking man in his middle years, with a fondness for music."

Probably 35-40 range, as opposed to 60.

Amir0x

Banned

Book Mance:

"Mance is a big man, long legged and lean, broad in the chest and shoulders. His once long brown hair is now gone mostly grey, laughter lines appear at the corner of his mouth. [1] He has a sharp face and shrewd brown eyes.[2] He is an unremarkable-looking man in his middle years, with a fondness for music."

oh heh alright, was really wondering what else I must have missed if he was 120 years old. This makes sense now

Yonafunu

I'd say Mance is in his 40's to 50's. Ciaran Hinds looks about perfect though.

The casting decisions I really don't like are Daario and Beric.
Daario just doesn't look like Daario, and Beric is too old.

jett

D-Member
Now that I remember last year someone was claiming that
Talisa might be a Lannister or something.
(rumored book-> show change, potential S3 spoiler)

I think that video might be giving too much credit to the show's writers, considering what a mess they made of nearly everything in S2. :p But it'd be cool if the show had a twist like that, but I don't see it happening.

Book Mance:

Probably 35-40 range, as opposed to 60.

To be fair, I'd imagine life north of the wall ages people really quickly.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I too think Mance should have been cast younger, but at the same time, I like the actor and have little doubt that it's going to work anyways.

ASOS
Totally impractical, but it would have been amazing if they had had the foresight and cast him in the pilot to just be sitting in the background at the feast.

Trasher

Do we know if Roose Bolton is in this season?

He must be. He was hardly in the second season, so they gotta give him some sort of screen time so people at least are aware he's around. Most people I know who have watched just the show can't even tell you his name. And I don't blame them. He totally flies under the radar unless you read the books of course.

jett

D-Member
Speaking of Boltons, (ASOS/ACOK) why did the
bastard destroy Winterfell? Just becuz?
Never really understood the reasoning.

Eidan

First I was thinking, "nah, bad writing" yet as I keep watching I want to believe.

Honestly if it's true, I'll have to give the showrunners a lot of credit. A lot.

Show
It could also explain why Talisa seems to be present at the Twins in one of the trailers.

Speaking of Boltons, (ASOS/ACOK) why did the
bastard destroy Winterfell? Just becuz?
Never really understood the reasoning.

(ASOS)
By that point, Roose had already decided to betray Robb. Word had reached him about Robb's marriage to Jeyne (this happens in the last Arya chapter of Clash of Kings), and his heirs were presumed dead, and much of the North had been lost. Having his bastard kill most of the remaining loyal Stark men in the north (who Rodrik had assembled to try and retake Winterfell) and then sack it weakened the Stark forces that much further, and made it easier for him to step into the power vacuum.

jett

D-Member
(ASOS)
By that point, Roose had already decided to betray Robb. Word had reached him about Robb's marriage to Jeyne (this happens in the last Arya chapter of Clash of Kings), and his heirs were presumed dead, and much of the North had been lost. Having his bastard kill most of the remaining loyal Stark men in the north (who Rodrik had assembled to try and retake Winterfell) and then sack it weakened the Stark forces that much further, and made it easier for him to step into the power vacuum.

I can see that, but they kind of went overboard by AFFC/ADWD
burning it to the ground. Which makes things funny later since they pretend to make the bastard lord of Winterfell, if I'm remembering correctly.

jett

D-Member
(Book AND show spoilers)

As cool as that would be, pretty sure all the inconsistencies there are just poor writing. I know for a fact that Talisa dies at the RW. In fact, she is the first one killed.

Huh? How do you know that for a fact? That would also be a considerable deviation from the book.

Snake

(Book AND show spoilers)

As cool as that would be, pretty sure all the inconsistencies there are just poor writing. I know for a fact that Talisa dies at the RW. In fact, she is the first one killed.

(Book AND show spoilers)
Interesting. Though her dying wouldn't necessarily preclude her being a spy. Maybe it would just be them eliminating her to cut off loose ends, or because she has grown to genuinely care about Robb and is a liability.

gutshot

(Book AND show spoilers)
Interesting. Though her dying wouldn't necessarily preclude her being a spy. Maybe it would just be them eliminating her to cut off loose ends, or because she has grown to genuinely care about Robb and is a liability.

That's true. That remains a possibility. Although it would require some after the fact exposition.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(Book AND show spoilers)

:/ Why did I highlight that.

Thanks, CB.

If y'all have any questions, let me know.

What was the "inadvertent pun that's going to give book readers a good chuckle"? I read the entire thing and didn't see any puns.

Weirwoods are hard to come by in the South.
Yeah and I think at some point the show implied that there weren't any Weirwoods south of Winterfell, which of course is different than the book.
You'd think they'd improvise rather than take up a completely different religion and forsaking their gods. ;)
Is there ever a description of what a wedding ceremony includes under the old gods in the books?

(Book AND show spoilers)

I would say this confirms that (ASOS/AFFC spoiler):
Jeyne isn't important or pregnant. I've long believed Martin simply made a mistake that slipped past the editors when describing her hips in AFFC, and apparently he has admitted to this somewhere as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom