• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
nTdt0wZ.png

Eidan

I like the story Yoren told her on the third episode of Season 2. How do you sleep at night? How do you live with what you've seen? You focus on vengeance. You live to get them back.
Of course she has no remorse. She's seen too many terrible things. It's like how soldiers in war get desensitized.

Series
Of course? Arya grew up in a loving and nurturing environment, where she never wanted for anything. The idea of a girl from her kind of background being able to kill numerous people with little more than a shrug goes beyond the realm of believability. I'm not saying that a progression to desensitization isn't possible. I'm saying there was no progression.

ACOK
She killed people to stay alive. It's not like there is no real life precedent for children defending themselves by any means. And I'd argue it does have a mental impact on her in terms of her slowly losing her identity, which leads to the events of book four

Series
Yes, children have defended themselves in the real world. And those children are given swift therapy,because violence is a traumatic event for people. Like I said before, though I can see desensitization being worked into her story over time, I don't feel like that happened. I never got the impression that killing people had an impact on her. From the stable boy, to the battle with Yoren, to weasel soup, to the Harrenhal guard. Her ability to kill person after person without blinking just came off as highly unrealistic.

And I don't see the connection between her killing and her sense of identity. A recurring theme throughout her chapters is the idea of being a lone wolf separated from the pack, which ties much more appropriately to her identity issues.

Sansa hasn't done a fucking thing except let herself get manipulated.

Series Spoilers:
The most she has done
is befriend little lord Arryn
. That totally matches up with what rest of her siblings have done right? Her journey, while not being exactly easy to go through, is very easy mode compared to the rest of her siblings.

Series
Before AFFC, my chief criticism of Sansa's arc would be her lack of agency in her own storyline. One of the things I like about her story's direction is that Martin seems very much aware of this, and Sansa is adopting a far more authoritative role as Alayne. That's character progression I can get behind.

Arya's story just feels to be marching on without any awareness that violence around her should be having some kind of negative impact on her.

And I'm not going to get into a debate about which Stark kid had it harder. They all went through terrible ordeals. Sansa's is the most interesting of them though, because violence wouldn't solve it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh...early reviews coming out:

Jace Lacob (Televisionary) Raves about GoT Season 3.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswe...of-hbo-s-third-season-of-sex-starks-more.html

I'll put this excerpt in spoiler tags just in case:

With this many storylines whizzing by like arrows, some are bound to thud to earth rather than hit their mark. A second episode monologue by Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley), about her relationship with her late husband’s bastard Jon Snow (Kit Harington), is particularly head-scratching, almost tantamount to outright character assassination. And diehard fans of the books may be perturbed by a change to a subplot involving hapless Night’s Watch knight Samwell Tarly (John Bradley).

Character assassination? I take it they're showing Catelyn's hateful attitude towards Jon? That actually sounds good to me.

A change involving Sam? Hrm.

Urrrrrrgggh...

Is that really a surprise though? That's what they've been going all along.

I put my House Sigil together:

I laughed. :D

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was thinking the same thing.

I mean,
adding a little more dimension to that character can only be a good thing, right?

1st episode spoiler
Well we know that Ghost stayed with the Night Watch and apparently does something badass at the start of the show. Guessing he saves Sam.

Why would that perturb fans though? Sounds like a pretty inconsequential thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
They don't have Sam ASOS Book Spoilers:
kill The Other with the Obsidian Blade
himself?

That would be pretty fucked if they removed that.

Eidan

I mean,
adding a little more dimension to that character can only be a good thing, right?

Series
I was actually thinking that the fact that they would bring up Catelyn's problems with Jon Snow this late in the game could even hint at larger ramifications for that relationship in future books. Why else bring it up?

Subitai

Not as hyped as last season knowing there will be lots of deviations from the books that could end up worse than season 2. That said, certain moments are beyond screwing up and my anticipation for those knows no limits. These early reviews are helping!

As far as Sansa vs Ayra, they are a deliberate contrast not only in personalities, but in navigating the equally lethal games of soft and hard power. Neither would have survived in the others position or would have been able to accommodate the related brutal force fed first hand lessons of each type of power.

Why would that perturb fans though? Sounds like a pretty inconsequential thing.
ASOS
Yeah, that doesn't seem like a big deal, actually I think it's surprisingly cool considering Ghost just bailing last season, I assumed we wouldn't see him again until he reunites with Jon outside the Wall after the attacks on Castle Black.

I dunno, we'll just have to wait and see I guess.
Series
I was actually thinking that the fact that they would bring up Catelyn's problems with Jon Snow this late in the game could even hint at larger ramifications for that relationship in future books. Why else bring it up?
ASOS
Probably has to do with Robb naming Jon his heir.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Series

Interesting thought. Perhaps (ASOS/AFFC)
Lady Stoneheart goes after Jon at some point?

Series
Of course? Arya grew up in a loving and nurturing environment, where she never wanted for anything. The idea of a girl from her kind of background being able to kill numerous people with little more than a shrug goes beyond the realm of believability. I'm not saying that a progression to desensitization isn't possible. I'm saying there was no progression.

Series
Yes, children have defended themselves in the real world. And those children are given swift therapy,because violence is a traumatic event for people. Like I said before, though I can see desensitization being worked into her story over time, I don't feel like that happened. I never got the impression that killing people had an impact on her. From the stable boy, to the battle with Yoren, to weasel soup, to the Harrenhal guard. Her ability to kill person after person without blinking just came off as highly unrealistic.

And I don't see the connection between her killing and her sense of identity. A recurring theme throughout her chapters is the idea of being a lone wolf separated from the pack, which ties much more appropriately to her identity issues.

Series
Before AFFC, my chief criticism of Sansa's arc would be her lack of agency in her own storyline. One of the things I like about her story's direction is that Martin seems very much aware of this, and Sansa is adopting a far more authoritative role as Alayne. That's character progression I can get behind.

Arya's story just feels to be marching on without any awareness that violence around her should be having some kind of negative impact on her.

And I'm not going to get into a debate about which Stark kid had it harder. They all went through terrible ordeals. Sansa's is the most interesting of them though, because violence wouldn't solve it.

I have never agreed with something as wholly and completely as I agree with this post right here. There's not even anything for me to add. You covered the entire issue from my perspective from head-to-toe.

I would love to have seen the reaction from critics and show fans if the Arya story line were kept in tact. I think that they would feel similarly to myself and Eidan, making it a huge sore point for the community. Ultimately, incorporating those elements over a longer period of time (with the Brotherhood, with The Hound, in Braavos) and in situations where she can learn to behave like the violent people she is traveling with will lead her to the same place as book-Arya on a more believable, better developed route. My assumption is that the show will have her reflect on the violent things she has seen and done when she links up with the Brotherhood.

1st episode spoiler
I read a review that said Ghost stayed with the Night Watch and apparently does something badass at the start of the show. Guessing he saves Sam.

That sounds ok actually. [ASoS]
I was kind of wondering how they'd have Sam get out of that situation in a non goofy way and having Ghost help somehow would be a nice way to get Ghost back in action.

And presumably it wouldn't necessarily mean Sam doesn't kill an Other and become Sam the Slayer. As I recall, Sam does that once the Night's Watch guys are away from the Fist and trying to get back to Craster's. So they could still have that happen later if they wanted.

I was worried for a bit too that I'd miss the premiere this Sunday since its Easter and I'll be at my parent's (no HBO). But I guess Time Warner and some other providers are having a free HBO preview weekend. Nice!

Man, that picture just cements how awful Olenna's costume is. She looks like Ram Man from He-Man.

oh god. First I've seen it. You'd think they would have learned after last season. If you want something to be realistic it needs to be practical.

But as far as costumes go, at least we can see Cersei's collar bones this season. I want to be attracted to her but they've made it such a challenge.

Salsa

still reading through the second book and I dont wanna watch Season 2 till I finish it

im gonna have GOT episodes forever

pr0cs

well her costume is goofy but from all accounts she nailed the part which is all I really care about.

They don't have Sam ASOS Book Spoilers:
kill The Other with the Obsidian Blade
himself?

That would be pretty fucked if they removed that.

I'll be pissed if they do that. That would both be a pointless change and take away one of the great moments of the book.

Ark

Didn't realize Mance was 120 years old. Learn something new every day!

I always imagined him to be a late 20's - early 30's looking guy, not what I mentioned plus ten.

I'm fine with it though. I've dropped most of my gripes with the book - show translation. I'm confident in where D&D/HBO are taking the show, and I still thoroughly enjoy everything about it even if the books are the superior narrative.

I'll be pissed if they do that. That would both be a pointless change and take away one of the great moments of the book.

ASOS
That would be a pretty major change, I don't think they'll do that. I think the thing that's different is the Fist attack with Sam (Ghost saves him), and he'll kill the Walker later, just like in the book.

Has this been posted yet?

A former actor in BBC medical drama Casualty has had part of his ear bitten off at a Newcastle Travelodge.

Clive Mantle, who also stars in US drama Game of Thrones, was attacked at the Foster Street hotel in a dispute over noise, his agent said.

A spokesman for Mr Mantle's agent, London-based Sarahband Associates, said surgeons at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary had managed to sew the top part of the actor's right ear back on.

He said he believed Mr Mantle was pinned to the floor in the hotel and attacked after asking other guests to keep the noise down.

He said: "He is very shaken and shocked by what has happened, you don't expect this kind of thing to happen in a hotel.

"The part of the ear that was bitten off was found and sewn back on. Mr Mantle said the police, ambulance and hospital staff were amazing."

He also featured in the first season of Game of Thrones as Lord Greatjon Umber.

Snake

(Series Spoilers)
From the way he is discussed by the Night's Watch, Mance Rayder always seemed to me like he was closer to Jeor Mormont's generation, though slightly younger, placing him in his early 50s maybe. It is clear that the man has been practically a legend (and a sort of bogeyman/cautionary tale) for quite some time, so I don't know why people see him as in his early 30s.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
(Series Spoilers)
From the way he is discussed by the Night's Watch, Mance Rayder always seemed to me like he was closer to Jeor Mormont's generation, though slightly younger, placing him in his early 50s maybe. It is clear that the man has been practically a legend (and a sort of bogeyman/cautionary tale) for quite some time, so I don't know why people see him as in his early 30s.

My two cents:
I think people tend to think of him as younger because he gives off that vibe. Just based of his exploits and how he carried himself, in my mind I was picturing Errol Flynn from Robin Hood.

I always imagined him to be a late 20's - early 30's looking guy, not what I mentioned plus ten.

He's described as having mostly gray hair in the books. I definitely think this is about the age Martin was describing him as in the books. It's just easy to forget that sometimes when you're reading.

Amir0x

Banned
Mance is 120 years old? Goddamn. So many details I miss when I read the books. I already read through them three times... and I still miss so many details @_o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom