• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

Lister

Banned
Ah fair enough. I been trying to upgrade my 1060 and the prices have been skyrocketing.

Yeah I missed the 3080 tiny window of availability. Will have to wait till probably summer of this year to pick one up. The 3060ti might be a good grab if you're on a budget. Still more powerful than a PS5.

3060 ti was released for $400, ps5 was released for $500. $500 is $100 more expensive than $400. Which is the same price as a ps5DE. Why not read?
PS5 - $819
3060Ti - $899 or $900+. Some versions of 3060Ti are north of $1000 and $20 or $30 less than some 3070's.

That is here in NZ.

The Nvidia GPU is more expensive than PS5 in my region. Though I would argue if anyone had the cash to put down for a PS5 could easily put the money down for the GPU.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

The 1080 cna do Borderlands 3 4K at 60-70 FPS, but at low settings (save textures and AF). Mind you, low settings (again minus textures and AF) still looks good.

The PS5 does a bit better at mostly medium settings 4k. I would hope so though! The 1080 is a 4+ year old card, and there's no ray tracing in Borderlands 3.

True, but judging by Alex's video on Valhalla, the PS5 is about a 2080 level card. not 1080 like this video suggests.

he was only comparing the game on full HD to get the highest frames but that is not fair, as the PS5 excels more on 2k or 4k than a GTX 1080 does.

Nvidia CEO was right all along the day the PS5 was announced. 2080 is a bit more powerful than the PS5. even though in reality they are about the same. it's just 2080 has better ray tracing of course.

I mean, Let's see a 1060 run Valhalla at 1440p 60fps. lol

Last edited:

Sun Blaze

Banned
True, but judging by Alex's video on Valhalla, the PS5 is about a 2080 level card. not 1080 like this video suggests.

he was only comparing the game on full HD to get the highest frames but that is not fair, as the PS5 excels more on 2k or 4k than a GTX 1080 does.

Nvidia CEO was right all along the day the PS5 was announced. 2080 is a bit more powerful than the PS5. even though in reality they are about the same. it's just 2080 has better ray tracing of course.
The 5700XT beats the 2080 Ti in AC:Valhalla, it's an outlier, not the norm.

Lister

Banned

I mean, Let's see a 1060 run Valhalla at 1440p 60fps. lol

I don't think it was quite up to 2080 in most games. Valhalla favors AMD hardware in that particular title. But yeah, it's got great rasterization performance. It kind of lalls apart with ray tracing though. And a 2080 IS 2 years old now too.

A 3060ti is going to outperform a PS5.

Last edited:
Looks like a bum that stumbled into an unlocked recording studio.

And we are to take advice from a guy that looks like this...I see someone like this and all I'm thinking of is handing him a bar of soap and a soup kitchen voucher.

36285148_10155671536267825_859774168290295808_n.jpg

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I don't think it was quite up to 2080 in most games. Valhalla favors AMD hardware in that particular title. But yeah, it's got great rasterization performance. It kind of lalls apart with ray tracing though. And a 2080 IS 2 years old now too.

A 3060ti is going to outperform a PS5.

3060 ti s about 2080 super level. that is way above the PS5 lol and about the same price :/

which is really sad, to be honest. a new tech that everyone wants cant beat a 2 years old card.

Yes I get the fact to build a PC is more expensive. but to anyone who has an old ass PC, he can slap a 1080ti / 2080 which costs ( usually ) about the same as PS5 if not lower and still can beat it. plus the PC advantages of no online paywall, you can work, whatever.

Last edited:
3060 ti s about 2080 super level. that is way above the PS5 lol
which is really sad, to be honest. a new tech that everyone wants cant beat a 2 years old card.

Yes I get the fact to build a PC is more expensive. but to anyone who has an old ass PC, he can slap a 1080ti / 2080 which costs ( usually ) about the same as PS5 if not lower and still can beat it. plus the PC advantages of no online paywall, you can work, whatever.

How old are you talking about? You can't just slap a high end video card in any desktop PC you come across and expect to beat the PS5, or even work for that matter

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey, I did give him a few clicks on youtube. That's me throwing a couple pennies in his hat.
Just got annoyed that he can be a little moany in some of his videos.
It would help your case if you didn't criticize his personal appearance. What does that have to do with specs, performance, or framerate? If anything it makes you less persuasive, not more.

tichamac

Banned
How old are you talking about? You can't just slap a high end video card in any desktop PC you come across and expect to beat the PS5, or even work for that matter
Anything with a motherboard from the past decade should be fine. The performance difference is negligible between pci gen 3.0 and 4.0 when it comes to a 3090. A 2080 ti can't even fully populate gen 3.0 x16.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I do wonder what the performance of GTX 1080 compared to Xbox or PS5 in terms of 4k content. for example borderland3 or Valhalla.

Are they native 4k on consoles with 60 fps ? if so at what resolution settings ? or is it dynamic resolution on consoles?

I do not think a GTX 1080 can do borderland 4k 60 fps

Dynamic resolution, but with temporal reconstruction "upscaling" tech that actually works quite well and looks good. GTX 1080 is not doing 4K on much of anything at a respectable frame rate.

Anything with a motherboard from the past decade should be fine. The performance difference is negligible between pci gen 3.0 and 4.0 when it comes to a 3090. A 2080 ti can't even fully populate gen 3.0 x16.

You still need to factor in basically every other component for the PC

Having a motherboard that suppors 3.0 doesn't mean much if you've got a PSU that's rated at 300W or a CPU that's just going to cause a bottleneck

Telling someone to just stick a 3080 in their computer is just bad advice unless they already have a modern gaming rig in the first place

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"Equivalent to a mid-to-high end gaming PC from about 5 years ago" is some hogwash, though. Even a higher end i7 5700k, 16GB DDR4 RAM, and a GTX 980 Ti with a Samsung 850 Pro SSD will not give you the same visual experience playing the same games on a 4K TV as a PS5.

That doesn't change the relevance of what I said.

(not to say that you can never do such a thing, but it's best saved when there's a salient point to be made. It also helps if it's actually funny.)
I thought it was funny and usually people laugh. Would help if you at least put LOL reaction to the post. Don't be so serious man.
But yeah I get you. Back on topic.

I'm in Canada and got a 3700x for 40 and a 2060 for around 300$ over a year ago. Look for local return overstock auctions. Most cities have them and you can get things really cheap if you are patient. I even got my Sony ier-m9's for 350$.
You must be an amazing shopper, all I can get for 40$ is the Ryzen box, if I'm lucky I will get the cooler in it.

As far as video cards, I could sell the cards I got 2 or 3 years ago for about the same price I paid for them (a 1660ti and a 2060)... This is really sad.

EKGhf0a.png

I could probably sell my old 2060 and buy a PS5 digital edition 😎.

Lister

Banned
3060 ti s about 2080 super level. that is way above the PS5 lol and about the same price :/

Another thing to consider is DLSS. Sure the PS5 is about the rasterization of a 2080... but on any title supporting DLSS that goes off by the way side. It's more like a 2060. DLSS in quality mode is essentially a free 20% boost in performance. And if you're willing to sacrficie about as much IQ as the consoles d with their reconstruction techniques anyway, that's even more performance to gain over them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it does.

I own a GTX 1080 paired with a i7 6700k and I do not agree. Blazing fast 1080p card and great 1440p card (although getting a bit long in the tooth), but not so hot with 4K games if frame rate is important to you. Sure, you can get some highly performant stuff like Battlefield 1 or whatever to run above 60 fps at 4K, but there's not a lot like that.

i thought this would be a video by heavy metal jesus... so having long brown hair and calling urself jesus is a thing! i didn't know... anyway i like heavy metal jesus, his 'hidden gems' videos are very useful
It would help your case if you didn't criticize his personal appearance. What does that have to do with specs, performance, or framerate? If anything it makes you less persuasive, not more.

CobraAB

Just show me the games in action.

I imagine that ray tracing rocks big time on the GTX 1060.

Would be interesting if one could see Spider-Man, Demon Souls and such run on that PC.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing to consider is DLSS. Sure the PS5 is about the rasterization of a 2080... but on any title supporting DLSS that goes off by the way side. It's more like a 2060. DLSS in quality mode is essentially a free 20% boost in performance. And if you're willing to sacrficie about as much IQ as the consoles d with their reconstruction techniques anyway, that's even more performance to gain over them.
Yeah, but you can only get DLSS with RTX 2000+ cards. I certainly love it and think it's basically miracle technology. At the same time, the upscaling tech in the PS4 Pro and PS5 can make 1440p or even somewhat lower look pretty damn close to native 4K to my eyes.

Mr_Potato

Banned
You can always find a game running better on a platform vs another, that doesn't mean much for comparisons.

Even if highest end PC ran games a lot better than next gen consoles (they don't, if only due to diminishing returns, they look and run the same, especially now that you get 60 or even 120 fps games on next gen consoles), it wouldn't change anything because most great AAA games (you know, the ones you buy a GPU for) these days are more often than not console exclusives.

Recent Games of the Year were The Last of Us 1 and 2, God of War, Uncharted 4 or Zelda : Breath of the Wild...

They are all console exclusives and so... not available on PC anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards

Last edited:
i mean, i can't help it if you kinda scanned my post but i didn't insult his appearance and don't have any problem with it
Nah man. You missed the joke.
I made fun of his appearance and another dude replied to me with this:

You can always find a game running better on a platform vs another, that doesn't mean much for comparisons.

Even if highest end PC ran games a lot better than next gen consoles (they don't, if only due to diminishing returns, they look and run the same, especially now you get 60 or even 120 fps games on next gen consoles), it wouldn't change anything because most great AAA games (you know, the ones you buy a GPU for) these days are more often than not console exclusives.

Recent Games of the Year were The Last of Us 1 and 2, God of War, Uncharted 4 or Zelda : Breath of the Wild...

They are all console exclusives and so... not available on PC anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_of_the_Year_awards
I don't get why these PC vs Console videos get made at the start of each generation. I really don't.
These consoles have heavily customized parts. They are for gamers who don't care for software updates and troubleshooting hardware or software issues. Its plug it in and play.

Mildly curious to see how similar PC parts compare to these consoles but that should be where the interest stops. There's no need for either camps (PC and console) to bring out the pitchforks. Kinda think this video was made to ruffle the feathers.

Lister

Banned
Yeah, but you can only get DLSS with RTX 2000+ cards. I certainly love it and think it's basically miracle technology. At the same time, the upscaling tech in the PS4 Pro and PS5 can make 1440p or even somewhat lower look pretty damn close to native 4K to my eyes.

Eh no, not even close. I mean... yes form Tv viewing distance the recontruction technique can get away with more than it can from monitor viewing distance, but it's stil noticeable, especially in motion. Right now the best the consoles can do is noticeably inferior than native + TAA once you go lower than 20%, and it looks bad at 30% with lots of artifacts, again, especially in motion.

DLSS looks BETTER than native + TAA in some cases at 20%, noticeable at 40% and bady at 50%. And this is at monitor viewing distance, not TV viewing distances. At least IMHO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eh no, not even close. I mean... yes form Tv viewing distance the recontruction technique can get away with more than it can from monitor viewing distance, but it's stil noticeable, especially in motion. Right now the best the consoles can do is noticeably inferior than native + TAA once you go lower than 20%, and it looks bad at 30% with lots of artifacts, again, especially in motion.

DLSS looks BETTER than native + TAA in some cases at 20%, noticeable at 40% and bady at 50%. And this is at monitor viewing distance, not TV viewing distances. At least IMHO.

Oh, I agree that DLSS 2.0 is way better. Just need more games to support it.

Lister

Banned
I don't get why these PC vs Console videos get made at the start of each generation. I really don't.
These consoles have heavily customized parts. They are for gamers who don't care for software updates and troubleshooting hardware or software issues. Its plug it in and play.

Mildly curious to see how similar PC parts compare to these consoles but that should be where the interest stops. There's no need for either camps (PC and console) to bring out the pitchforks. Kinda think this video was made to ruffle the feathers.

Similarly performant components will perform.... you guessed it, similarly. It's always been the case, regardless of the chanting of SUPAH CHARGED TO THE METAL ARCHITECTURE or whatever bananas marketing Sony and Microsoft want you to believe.

It's just that right now the new cards, and even 2 year old cards are either significantly better or similarly performant (but with some tricks up their sleeve, like better ray tracing performance and DLSS) than the new consoles. Thats going to bring in people on both sides. Angry console fan boys, and gloating PC fanboys.

This particular comparison is interesting because 4 year old hardware is performing better than brand new consoles... but it's in select games, and games that are trying to reach highest possible frame rates, which means sacrifices in resolution and graphics settings on consoles.

It's interesting, but not super meaningful, other than saying people with 1000 and 1600 tier GPU's are probably fine with running modern games at 1080p/1440p for the next couple of year at least. Not sure why it means people here have to attack the dude. It's not like he's lying.

He's saying, we tried 3 new games that support high refresh rate on the consoles and found that a 1060 does it better on PC. Here's the data. He's not faking the data. He's not saying a 1060 will beat the PS5 in all games that will ever come out.

But what you get here is whining.

But Muh console, but muh value, But the hair, must be a hippie! :rolleyes:

I swear with all the commie, and hippie, and the oh noes, long/pink/purple whatever hair (what fucking year is this?!) and similar boomer terms being thrown with such abandon here, you'd think the forum was overrun by octogenarian gamers.

Last edited:

In games like Spiderman unless you're really trying to look for differences up close you're not going to see them. Native res really is worthless when you have reconstruction techniques like that

Mr_Potato

Banned

Yes, as a PS5 / PC owner I don't get the insecurity either. Both platforms are great, PC is great for mods or PC exclusives, but performance /price ratio is better on consoles obviously, there's nothing to debate here, that's what they're made for. Especially now that GPUs cost skyrockets.

And a next gen console version looks extremely similar to a highest end PC version nowadays. Diminishing returns made that. Going PC made more sense when games on consoles were 30 fps or 720p, but that time is mostly gone.

You paid a lot for your PC, it's FINE, you had reasons to do that, PC advantages, there's no problem. No need to search for false justifications constantly. Or do like me, stop upgrading until prices settle down a bit if you think it's not worth it anymore like I do, you won't need any justification either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom