• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer Jesus: PlayStation 5 vs. $500 PC with 4-Year-Old Hardware: Benchmarks & Graphics Quality Comparison

MistBreeze

now people will trust this guy and not trusting Richard and Alex from DF??

people are so ungrateful and especially in this generation when we get consoles with performance comparable to high end pc this day and age

come on people it is only 400 dollar console be grateful just once

2080 super performance is not that bad

if u believe this guy believe what u want but these consoles can do 4k 60 and 1440 120 in AAA games and ray tracing to add

for 400 bucks or 500 that is hell of a deal

and actually most people know most of AAA games are on consoles now days and the best games and GOTY contenders are on consoles

Last edited:

Mr_Potato

Banned
Ps5 isn’t mystic hardware... anything developed in software to optimize consoles games will also optimize pc games

It isn't mystic but it's custom, unlike PC. Custom I/O and SSD with custom cache and an extremely low latency, custom Geometry Engine as a better solution than simply using VRS. Probably a custom unified CPU cache.

So yes, PS5 native games will benefit greatly and some optimizations obviously won't benefit PC since it doesn't have those custom parts. You already see some PS5 optimizations on Demon's Souls or Miles Morales 60 fps mode with RT (but those are very early gen games, we're barely scratching the surface right now).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

How old are you talking about? You can't just slap a high end video card in any desktop PC you come across and expect to beat the PS5, or even work for that matter
honestly i think an i7 2000 series is more than fine. how old is that cpu? yes its not the same as newest one. but at 2k resolution with 3060 ti ( which is same as 2080 super ) you are above the PS5 by allot.

Mr_Potato

Banned
Similarly performant components will perform.... you guessed it, similarly. It's always been the case, regardless of the chanting of SUPAH CHARGED TO THE METAL ARCHITECTURE or whatever bananas marketing Sony and Microsoft want you to believe.

Every dev in the world will tell you it is indeed more optimal to code for a single known hardware than for hundreds of different configurations. That's what coding to the metal is about : you can do it for one platform, not for every Nvidia and AMD GPU on earth, that's why you need abstraction layers like Direct X and that's why you go the brute force route on PC. If there was only one GPU and one CPU kind on PC, performance would be at least 2x better, probably more. That's the way it is.

Similar components with the same APIs do indeed perform the same, but consoles don't have the same components as PC and have specific APIs (software), that's the thing. It's a lot more than CPU, GPU and teraflops, everything around that matters a lot too. People make this shortcut because in the PC world, CPU / GPU are what matters mostly since the components around them are similar and the APIs are the same (Direct X). It's different in the console world. Having a x86 CPU doesn't a PC make.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Those PS5 frametimes and lows

Tears Of Joy GIF by memecandy

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Some poor fucks gonna find and buy a GTX 1070 online thinking it'll play every new game for the next few years better than the PS5 lmao.

Yeah, it sucks. The selection of games makes me feel like he had an agenda going into this.

Should've demonstrated COD Cold War, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, and Immortals Fenyx Rising where the GTX 1060 doesn't compare quite so favorably when you try to match settings and resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Buggy Loop

Yeah, it sucks. The selection of games makes me feel like he had an agenda going into this.

Should've demonstrated COD Cold War, AC Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, and Immortals Fenyx Rising where the GTX 1060 doesn't compare quite so favorably when you try to match settings and resolution.

Sure, eventually it should be considered. I think a 2060 super is fair game though for a match.

There's so much dynamic resolution solutions on consoles, a comparison is hard but yea...

Whatever the "cache scrubbers", "RDNA3 features", "coding to the metal" rabbit you want to get out of the hat..

Those
frame
times
are
not
acceptable

They're a fucking mess. Ask for better. I don't care about a PC comparison that much honestly, you either accept the costs of PC, knowing what it can all do, or you don't, but PS5 owners, have some fucking respect for yourselves. Tweet these devs that they did a shit job.

longdi

Banned
He comes across as such a smug twat most of the time that I can't watch his videos anymore.

Yes, i rather give LTT clicks than steve now.
At least LTT gets exclusive look at new products and far less smug.

GN videos are too drawn out because steve peppered too much snobbery into them.
Like how hard is it to read up on your PC tech toys than to sit through GN babbling? 🤷‍♀️

Blond

Banned
I don't know what that guy is smoking, but it's 100 % false. PS5 runs Spiderman with 60fps AND Raytracing, something very few PC can do in any game.

It has been evaluated multiple times next gen consoles should be around 2070 super / 2080 super, but even that is underestimating them because for example, PS5 has I/O hardware which can't be matched on PC right now, so it can probably push more details in texture streaming that even the best PC, as Unreal Engine 5 demo and Epic devs already hint at.

If you look at a game like AC Valhalla, PS5 has basically the best version, because even the highest end PC has some stuttering in custscenes, only PS5 version doesn't have some.

Consoles are not PC, they're dedicated gaming hardware with multiple customizations. As Carmack - and others devs - famously said, you will always get tons more performance for your money on a console compared to a PC costing the same. Whether it triggers PCMR insecure fans like this guy or not, that's a fact.

For the record, I have a 1080 PC, I like it but it's very far from matching what PS5 can already do on Miles Morales or Demon's Souls, and that's only the beginning.

LOL the fuck are you smoking? Spider-Man up until recently you either had to run Ray tracing OR 60 FPS. And now that you can run it at 60 but at 1080p, which is honestly subpar considering it barely makes a difference.

Buggy Loop

Wait what?

I have 1060 amp 6gb, 32 ram , ssd and I can’t barely run AAA 4K games at smooth frame rate...

Well I was planing to upgrade to 3070 but thanks to this video I can still use my 1060 lols

Consoles are rarely native 4K, dynamic resolution is almost always on or some scaling. That's the biggest weakness so far on PC. There's DLSS, but it's not really equivalent and only exclusive to a few titles. A checkerboard or more dynamic resolution settings in games would help a lot.

Also PC gamers often just go "high" or "ultra" settings first and then, their jaw drops when they see their card is not performing all too hot.

But that's the thing that GN, and even Digital Foundry shows, the consoles are not that high in settings. Watch dog legions? With RT? A 2060 super beats it, can't even edit the settings as low as consoles actually from the menu, at the same time, if you crank the settings all the way up, it'll club the knees of the 3090.
If you look at optimization guides online for a good visual/performance compromise, i often find that my 1060 6GB can hold off quite well even today. No i don't think it'll hold much longer this gen :p Steve is pulling a leg here.

AGRacing

I am watching the video and don't understand what he is doing... ryzen 3300x is not 4 years old cpu ? 1070 was 500usd 4 years ago... what's the point... and that pc is not 500usd even now. Not even if You summarize bare used pc parts and You still need to add peripherals (since console includes controller and is a full package aside from TV). And he is not doing exact same settings comparison...
Recently I am starting to dislike his condescending and smug way of talking and looking down upon everything and everyone.
He is one of those who criticize everything and jumps on hate bandwagons first (or creates it).
3080? "oh nvidia bad corporation asshole out to get ya!" "Not impressed with gpu thermals!"
Ps5? "That hot ram, console is garbage" "It's barely as fast as 1060"

You just can't make this guy happy. I am a pc gamer with 3080 but I am just as much a console gamer (ps5 yet to get here)... and yet he is sometimes the worst of pcmasterrace.
He really does everything to shove it down console users throat that 500usd ps5 is in fact "SHIT" and worse than 500usd 4yo pc? And that ps5 memory gets hot even though it's fake controversy since it does not matter...

edit: He is very knowledgeable but I don't give a shit about some component getting hot unless it is a problem. I don't care about flatness map of a gpu die chip...
Some of his MSI bashing and "fuck You" to corporations is great and very justifiable but after watching him for so long, You will notice that this is just what he does.
I agree. He caused an absolute shit storm over AIO mounting in cases... His apostles were all over the internet going wild about it... Then he tried to say "Oh watch the entire video... It wasn't that big a deal!". Except the thumbnail for the video in question was designed to illicit that reaction.

Shitting on AMD for a $300 dollar "mountain bike" because it can't survive his hardcore downhill was also hilarious. Everyone I know with a mountain bike rides it around the block with their kids.

Their testing methodology is great... But the drama (while faking the no drama attitude) is what can make the channel a bit of an eyeroll sometimes.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It would help your case if you didn't criticize his personal appearance. What does that have to do with specs, performance, or framerate? If anything it makes you less persuasive, not more
He has long hair and calls himself jesus over it. Just like metal jesus. Also what case? I made an observation based on his appearance and name. Problem?

longdi

Banned
I agree. He caused an absolute shit storm over AIO mounting in cases... His apostles were all over the internet going wild about it... Then he tried to say "Oh watch the entire video... It wasn't that big a deal!". Except the thumbnail for the video in question was designed to illicit that reaction.

Shitting on AMD for a $300 dollar "mountain bike" because it can't survive his hardcore downhill was also hilarious. Everyone I know with a mountain bike rides it around the block with their kids.

Their testing methodology is great... But the drama (while faking the no drama attitude) is what can make the channel a bit of an eyeroll sometimes.

basically just like hardware_unboxed.

both are amongst worse drama queens faking their no drama identity

On Steam, 86.02% of PC players play at 1080p and under in 2020. Lol.

In real life, majority of consoles play at 1080p or lower, with lower than low to medium settings. Id take 144fps @ 1080p @high settings, over ~20fps 1080p checkerboard with low settings. Just saying. Also, who cares what most PC players have, my PC shits on console specs by a huuuuuge margin. Can't wait to run UE5 demo to shut these console warriors up about these hypothetical SSD speeds, and how it makes the gpu stronger.

VeKAoBw.jpg

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
LOL the fuck are you smoking? Spider-Man up until recently you either had to run Ray tracing OR 60 FPS. And now that you can run it at 60 but at 1080p, which is honestly subpar considering it barely makes a difference.
It runs at higher than 1080p.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You think this dude took those screen shots on a $500 PC?

Not sure video game photography makes the best case for an expensive PC. Frame rate don't matter much when you're just taking still shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

x@3f*oo_e!

Not a good look.

What happened to "performance similar to a 2070 Super" - now being outperformed by a 1070 (and a 4 core CPU..)

Yes PS5 is cheaper than the PC setup in the test, but until debunked this deflates a lot of hype about next gen

rofif

Banned
Not a good look.

What happened to "performance similar to a 2070 Super" - now being outperformed by a 1070 (and a 4 core CPU..)

Yes PS5 is cheaper than the PC setup in the test, but until debunked this deflates a lot of hype about next gen
It is already debunked by digital foundry month ago. They properly tested setting for setting in some games and ps5 was at least 2070 super or faster

regawdless

Banned
Every dev in the world will tell you it is indeed more optimal to code for a single known hardware than for hundreds of different configurations. That's what coding to the metal is about : you can do it for one platform, not for every Nvidia and AMD GPU on earth, that's why you need abstraction layers like Direct X and that's why you go the brute force route on PC. If there was only one GPU and one CPU kind on PC, performance would be at least 2x better, probably more. That's the way it is.

I think his video is crap and really like what the consoles are doing. But what you write here is wishful thinking and has not a lot to do with reality.

An at least 2x performance increase just because of coding to the metal is not a thing. There are benefits and improvements by doing it. But not nearly 2x.

If what you write would be true, we'd even see multiplat games doing way better on consoles compared to similar PC parts. Which isn't the case.

GHG

Gold Member
You think this dude took those screen shots on a $500 PC?

No joke, to get shots of that high quality (which means DLSS off) you will be looking at single digit fps in photo mode at 4k resolution regardless of your hardware.

Edit:

Yep... Apart from he still uses DLSS for the screenshots which I'm surprised to see.

Last edited:
now people will trust this guy and not trusting Richard and Alex from DF??

people are so ungrateful and especially in this generation when we get consoles with performance comparable to high end pc this day and age

come on people it is only 400 dollar console be grateful just once

2080 super performance is not that bad

if u believe this guy believe what u want but these consoles can do 4k 60 and 1440 120 in AAA games and ray tracing to add

for 400 bucks or 500 that is hell of a deal

and actually most people know most of AAA games are on consoles now days and the best games and GOTY contenders are on consoles

They're not comparable to high end pc, but to mid range ones. The consoles are 500, for the full specked ones. Most AAA games are on PC actually.

ZywyPL

Banned
Sure, eventually it should be considered. I think a 2060 super is fair game though for a match.

There's so much dynamic resolution solutions on consoles, a comparison is hard but yea...

Whatever the "cache scrubbers", "RDNA3 features", "coding to the metal" rabbit you want to get out of the hat..

Those
frame
times
are
not
acceptable

They're a fucking mess. Ask for better. I don't care about a PC comparison that much honestly, you either accept the costs of PC, knowing what it can all do, or you don't, but PS5 owners, have some fucking respect for yourselves. Tweet these devs that they did a shit job.

Consoles' targeted audience doesn't care, 30FPS is enough, 4K is a waste etc. so they get exactly what they are paying for, sounds fair enough if you ask me. If anything, just add VRR support and it's good to go.

I was recently able to get my hands on a 3060Ti from local microcenter and yes it blows ps5 out the water. DLSS auto with ultra nets about 100+ fps on cyberpunk (RT OFF )but with all the hardware in my PC it costs over 1000 bucks. This video is very misleading. that 500 dollar PC isn't running Miles Morales on 60FP with RT on. When you don't nitpick but run games on a 1:1 ratio with the resolution the ps5 is running at i bet you can't find a PC for that price. Also isn't BL3 just a ps4 pro port ? I can be wrong but didn't ps4 pro already have 120fps mode for BL3 ? I get it gotta get them clicks to make the $$$. Their livelihood depends on views but damn this video is misleading.

Fredrik

What’s up with the anger??

First, he talked to PC gamers and said that consoles were infact very valuable piece of hardwares and he said PC gamers should stop telling console gamers to just build a PC since you can’t expect people to want to do that just as you can’t expect people to want to service their own car.

Secondly, he then talked to console gamers and said they should keep expectations in check and shouldn’t expect 4K or even 8K without compromises since not even a PC GPU twice as expensive as the whole console can reach that.

I would say that it was a levelheaded way to look at, definitely as good as any take I’ve seen here, and this guy obviously knows his stuff, might not be what people want to hear though but that’s not his problem.

The bit where he said consoles perform about as well as a 5 year old PC at mid to high settings were with ray-tracing off as well. If raytracing kicks off he’ll have to use modern GPUs to compare consoles to, with higher prices. And some games obviously perform better and some worse, no news there.

Either way, interesting comparison. I’m surprised to see some replies here.

Last edited:

Duchess

and games aren't fucking $70.

I've a feeling those prices won't hold for long. You'll see them either launching for less and less, or they'll be reduced within weeks.

I've got Demon's Souls and Spider-Man Ultimate on my Amazon UK wishlist. They started off at £69.99 each. Today, they're £54.99. By the time I get a PS5 (Easter), they'll likely be ~£45.

Garani

Newsflash. The PS5 is a PC these days. It is made from PC components. Gone are the proprietary components from PS2 and PS3. Why are people upset again.

Some people are upset that they can't get an NVME drive for an affordable price, let alone a 5.5G/s one. So yeah, you get this stuff that doesn't make any sense in the real world.

Hudo

Apples vs. Oranges. Generally, PCs are general purpose devices with different requirements whereas consoles are (or at least used to be) devices engineered for gaming. Comparing costs of PCs with costs of consoles is rather shortsighted.

But I guess that argument will never die, this was already a thing in the 90s, probably even in the 80s.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Either way, interesting comparison. I’m genuinely surprised to see some replies here.
Its a bogus comparison.
Taking a last gen game that hasn’t been fully adapted to take PS5‘s capabilities into account to “prove” that the PC is faster, when it really isnt when comparing current gen games.
I am genuinely surprised at some of replays of PC posters here with comments along the lines of “PS5 fans mad, lol” when those guys should be the ones that actually smell the nonsense comparison.

Last edited:

Caio

and all these clickbait crap, nonsense, and food for trolls will end when the best PS5 exclusive games will come out, starting with GT7, God of War and Horizon. Oh my Gosh people get a life and don't make a fool of yourself. This is getting pathetic to say the least.

FranXico

Its a bogus comparison.
Taking a last gen game that hasn’t been fully adapted to take PS5‘s capabilities into account to “prove” that the PC is faster, when it really isnt when comparing current gen games.
I am genuinely surprised at some of replays of PC posters here with comments along the lines of “PS5 fans mad, lol” when those guys should be the ones that actually smell the nonsense comparison.
His remark about framerate stability being a concern for console games surprising him should tell you how he never bothered with console gaming in his own life.

This video was just for clicks. Nothing useful can be learned from it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom