• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you could erase from memory to experience again

Sorne

So, I thought of a concept. What if you could erase certain games from your memory, so that you could get the "first hand" experience all over again. What would be your top 3 games?

Also, the games would all be able to stand the test of time, so don't think about them not holding up if they were being played today.

These would be mine:
1. Dark Souls
2. Halo CE
3. Conker's Bad Fur Day

xrnzaaas

The Last of Us. The first time I played the game was at my cousin's house who had his young daughters running around. Horrible environment to properly enjoy the game's prologue.

1. Dark Souls (& or Demon's Souls)
2. God Hand
3. TES Oblivion

But there's no way I could list everything I'd like to whitewash and experience anew. So many greats that I'd love to taste fresh.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
UQFPZAw.png

qxCXN77.jpg

KyiWWEz.jpg

Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past
Super Mario World
Red Dead Redemption
The Secret of Monkey Island

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Danganronpa and Ace Attorney

-Arcadia-

Banned
You’d have to erase all of gaming back to a certain year, to get the entire experience. Going back to some games, time has taken a toll and made revolutionary features quite ordinary.

I’d probably do Ocarina of Time. My experience with that, in it’s era, was the single best video game experience I’ve ever had.

Birdo

Banned
I would say Ocarina of Time, but I don't want to forget how to do the Water Temple.

So Shadow of the Colossus.

Psajdak

Banned
None.

As much as I still greatly enjoy some old favorites of mine, in a lots of ways they are connected with certain important periods of my life, and because of that, they probably wouldn't matter to me as much if I played them "for the first time" now.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Mass Effect trilogy
Forza Horizon
(all of them, but 2nd one intro brought me to tear for some reason. And well it's complicate, some poster in here have some clues already : D DAT co-op in 3rd one holy shit)
Alpha Protocol (I did 6 times, it was wildly different each time!)
Mirror's Edge (both of them)

Honorable mentions:
Fallout: New Vegas
Metal Gear Solid 2&3
The Witcher 3
Killzone 3
Crysis
Far Cry OG
MGS: Revengeance
Resident Evil 5

Journey

Banned
Metal Gear Solid
The Legend of Zelda
Brothers: A Tail of Two Sons
The Last of Us
The OG God of War
Resident Evil
Red Dead Redemption
Halo: CE
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Bloodborne.

It was my first From Software game and is my personal game of this generation.
It also got me into Dark Souls.

Nice anecdote following.

When i went to gamescom in the year 2014 the line to play Bloodborne was unbearable long.
I gave up.

Next to it was a big truck in which you could play different games.
It had no queue infront of it so I went inside.

One of the Playstations had Bloodborne running and there was no one standing.
I played for about 30 min and died 3 times.

When I got out of the truck I went back to the Bloodborne booth to tell the people that they could play the game in said vehicle.

Half of the line vanished in seconds. :messenger_beaming:

cireza

I would erase pretty much all Sega games from when they were still doing consoles.

Demon's Souls was pretty huge.
Hexen.
Lodoss on Dreamcast.
Steins Gate.
Landstalker.
Phantasy Star I, II, III, IV
Shining Force entire series
Nier Automata
Panzer Dragoon series
Burning Rangers
Dragon Force

Last edited:
This is a difficult question to answer for me, because asides from the actual experience of enjoying the games themselves, I also have precious other memories attached to playing said games, like playing the games for the first time alongside loved ones who nowadays don't care about games anymore for example. I don't feel like I'm willing to erase those experiences too for the sake of experiencing the games themselves fresh again, but on my own without those other memories too...if that makes any sense

JLB

Banned
Metal Gear Solid, the original one from PS. That feeling of hiding rather than smashing was magic at the time.
Other than that, I'd think of mostly graphic adventures like Eternam, Sam & Max Hit The Road, Fate of Atlantis or Prisoner of Ice. Really enjoyable stories.

etp_1

Super Mario World, Zelda Alttp, Super Metroid, Terranigma, Secret of Mana.

Newer entries:
Final Fantasy 9, Test Drive Unlimited 1, Gran Turismo 2 and 4, Demon Souls, Dark Souls 3, Mirrors Edge

brian0057

Banned
Resident Evil Remake (2002).
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
Alien: Isolation.
Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005).
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver.
Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere.
Crash Bandicoot Warped.
Crash Team Racing.
System Shock 2.