• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Gamespot Preview] Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2's Combat Looks Beautiful And Feels Badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayon

It looks pretty cool to chop at people. I don't expect it to be great but there's going to be a limited amount so it doesn't need to carry the game as much as punctuate it.

Hunter 99

"Looks" yet Gamespot actually played it and said it's not like the first game.
ArLhdaP.gif

Punished Miku

Gold Member
In terms of just the combat, I'm already eating crow just from finally playing the first game. I talked a lot of shit on this series in the past, only played about the 1st hour when it first came out, but now I've finished it last month.

The combat is pretty solid. Light attack, heavy attack, unarmed attack with multiple combo strings. Dodge, block, parry. Running attacks, evade attacks, counter attacks. It's more moves than in a souls game.

The camera is definitely closer than I would like, and you are blind behind you so there's that. But the heavy focus on audio and headphone play kind of helps a bit with that.

I was surprised how good the combat actually was, even on large bosses. Looking forward to improvements in the sequel. The game is pretty unusual in that it is kind of a walking simulator, but it also has a combat system designed by a team that made DMC and it shows. It's not like the combat sucks. It's actually pretty good.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

This video is a bit shit at showing the combat, all of the fights look the same. Dark, smokey, identical (unless it's the same fight 3 times).

Dutchy

Did you even watch the full video? he's literally describing it as "badass" and talks about new abilites for Senua, so a marked improvement. You must've been looking for confirmation for your bias, but were left wanting.
Why would he watch the full video if we appearantly can't judge it by how it ''looks''

I liked the first game a lot but I legitemately couldn't tell they were showing footage of the second game. I'll probably see a clearer difference putting them side-by-side but in this video it literally just looks like more of the same.

Braag

I thought the combat was fine in the first game. It was supposed to be cinematic and simple, which it was. The game is supposed to be a narrative experience with fancy visuals, some puzzle solving and occasional combat scenarios. I don't think it's supposed to be some souls-like experience with combat being the main draw.
If they have refined the combat from the first game but not drastically changed it, then I'm fine with that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It’s always like this with these mainstream media. They praise a game in the preview, then they gave it a 7 in the review.

The previewers and the reviewers are almost always not the same people, which would probably explain the disparity.

I thought the combat was fine in the first game. It was supposed to be cinematic and simple, which it was. The game is supposed to be a narrative experience with fancy visuals, some puzzle solving and occasional combat scenarios. I don't think it's supposed to be some souls-like experience with combat being the main draw.
If they have refined the combat from the first game but not drastically changed it, then I'm fine with that.

For sure, if you liked the things that were in the original game, this looks like the same but turbocharged to a very high fidelity.

sendit

It's whatever they used to capture it, dog shit with macroblocking everywhere and uploaded at 1080p.
Accounted for the 1080p footage. The game looks like it has a overlay filter called "vaseline", most likely a "creative choice".

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I enjoyed the first game, many years ago. I think it will look amazing but I hope it will be more than just serviceable gameplay gameplay in this one. Still, excited to finally play it.

Fredrik

Oh yes it all sounds awesome, and looks amazing, and I really like that they say it’s hard too, first one was often too easy, some bosses were challenging though.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first game, many years ago. I think it will look amazing but I hope it will be more than just serviceable gameplay gameplay in this one. Still, excited to finally play it.
I have high hopes after these positive previews, looking like its improved every facet of the original, with insane production values. Gamepass is just getting better and better, this and the upcoming Harold Halibut look really good.

Unpopular opinion: Felt like the first one was overrated and the combat was basic. It looked good and the price was right but.. it was mid. Not terrible by any extent but not the greatness some proclaimed it to be. I'll hold out for gameplay videos after launch for this one.

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion: Felt like the first one was overrated and the combat was basic. It looked good and the price was right but.. it was mid. Not terrible by any extent but not the greatness some proclaimed it to be. I'll hold out for gameplay videos after launch for this one.

Same. I didn't even bother finishing it just didn't enjoy it enough to spend anymore time with it.

jm89

I'm probably the very few that actually enjoyed the combat of the first one.

Yeah it was basic but got the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom