• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Trade-in 6 Games 60% (+10% for Pro Members) Bonus 8/21-9/3

They should have charged you a refurb fee for the lower percieved value of a redbox copy with those stickers on them and/or the time associated with removing them. It's very difficult and leaves a messy residue and can ruin the disc.

As for the attitude, redbox discs are widely known to be stolen often times and while the employee was wrong to give an attitude they do have the right to refuse service if they believe something may have been stolen, which nine times out of ten, redbox discs are. None of the stores around me accept them, ever. I learned that when state of decay was on sale at red box cheap and went for like $20 at gamestop.

Not blaming you, just explaining why you experienced this. Redbox trades are more often than not a waste of time for this reason, unless you can reliably remove the stickers without any residue.

Thanks, I will probably avoid Redbox discs going forward.

Hairdryer trick works somewhat but the stickers don't peel cleanly, the come off in tiny chips and flakes and can leave sticky residue. Also, the inner rings on PS4 discs are smaller and it's really easy to peel off the label when removing the stickers. XBox one discs have larger inner rings so you don't get that as much.

I used a hairdryer on High for 30 seconds at a time, with the hairdryer directly over the center of the disc. I attempted to peel it and let the disc cool a bit then did another 30 seconds. I think if you apply too much heat the disc can snap or the inner ring can crack and then you're screwed.

Yeah seems really risky as the discs are so fragile.

That is a lie and it is specifically against their policy to use the $5 bonus trade card in that way. They can get fired for that. Next time you go in you can cancel the pre order and get that $5 at least.

I'm not a GameStop employee, just an experienced flipper. I've been doing this since 2004 or so. I paid for my psp and launch games with Max Payne 2 xbox flips from blockbuster to gamecrazy.
Had it happen not once but twice during the last promo, both times it was the store manager who did it and didn't notice until after the 2nd time. Was hoping he was there when I went to cancel every preorder I show on file, including the two old ones I never picked up, but alas he wasnt. Instead I had a clerk tell me how much I was missing out by canceling Destiny 2 because it has all the story content they added in the destiny 1 dlc and then new story content that's bigger then the Halo trilogy. Then when I still wanted to cancel seemed to imply I just didn't enjoy Destiny because I don't have friends and that had to be why I didn't enjoy vanilla destiny 1.

In the end I regretted not canceling my switch pro controller preorder I never picked up and I think halo 5? Not sure what my other post release pre order is that I wanted to cancel, I was trying to be nice and not cancel everything on the girl who didn't create the issue with the shady preorders. The store has also turned into a half think geek store, which looked terrible. Will be converting my credit to gift cards sooner rather then later, especially with my Scorpio preordered at amazon

zeemumu

I ended up renewing an old pro membership for the extra value but the number on the receipt won't work for the powerup rewards card and I don't have the old one. I'm gonna have to go in and ask for a new card

yea i'd avoid red box too. Such a gamble with the scratches and stickers.

I ended up renewing an old pro membership for the extra value but the number on the receipt won't work for the powerup rewards card and I don't have the old one. I'm gonna have to go in and ask for a new card

It should be tied to an email/login you give them i think if you want to save yourself the trip.

Shady859

I didn't know about this hairdryer trick. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm desperate to get the 60% rate on the trades.

And I did fill out the survey from the trade-in receipt.

If they hassle you about the stickers already I'd find a different store, employee, or just avoid unless it's a big profit to justify the hassle like RBI was $5 = 17. Honestly the hairdryer trick sucks or maybe our hairdryer just doesn't get hot enough. They use really good adhesive and the sticker is fragile so it breaks up and barely came off and then scratching just makes a huge mess. My stores are super chill and the guy looked at that disc long as hell after cleaning with goo gone but the 2 cashiers I hit with Redbox discs yesterday didn't flinch at stickered copies in paper sleeves. Plus PS4 games the art goes all the way into the hole so if you mess one of those up they might not take it at all.....

CatPee

Is there a step by step guide on how to turn the credit into amazon credit?

Just buy a Gamestop gift card(s) with the Trade Credit, then go to another store and either buy an Amazon gift card or use your Amazon Cash barcode.

Zen Aku

I picked up RBI Baseball and two copies of Dark Souls 3 yesterday. Peel off all 3 stickers by hands (that took fucking forever) and the GameStop employee didn't even bat an eye when I went to trade it in.

Owari

After making over $4000 during the fourth of july fiasco, I decided to give them a pass this round. (there's no way I'll ever spend this much GS credit)

mollipen

How often do these deals usually pop up? I'm not usually a Gamestop-type person, so the first I've really paid attention was the one they did back in July.

Willenium

Are those Pro Rewards $5/$10/$20/etc. vouchers usable online? I haven't used any of my points to get any yet but on the "Download" screen, it seems to imply in-store only. Can anyone verify?

Malakai

Are those Pro Rewards $5/$10/$20/etc. vouchers usable online? I haven't used any of my points to get any yet but on the "Download" screen, it seems to imply in-store only. Can anyone verify?

They have a $10 online only and $25 online only coupon that you can use for one in stock item. When you click on PowerUp Rewards on the main site it will take you to PowerUp Rewards site and click on "Reward Center" on the left click on "Digital Currency". Then, you should see "Online Only" text in a top grey bar under the number 10 or number 25 in red text. (The site is glitchy for me for some reason and the Coupon labels don't show up completely). BTW, you can't use the coupon for things like eshop cards or gift cards.

I can log in but I can't see any rewards or anything because when I click on the link for the rewards shop it keeps asking for the card.

Hmm I guess you do have to go in store again :/

They have a $10 online only and $25 online only coupon that you can use for one in stock item. When you click on PowerUp Rewards on the main site it will take you to PowerUp Rewards site and click on "Reward Center" on the left click on "Digital Currency". Then, you should see "Online Only" text in a top grey bar under the number 10 or number 25 in red text. (The site is glitchy for me for some reason and the Coupon labels don't show up completely). BTW, you can't use the coupon for things like eshop cards or gift cards.

Also, to note...It was mentioned in the last GS thread that during Black Friday those Pro Rewards Points might be worth double than what they are now. Could be worth waiting if you have a lot of points saved

Between 4 different gift cards I have like $1400 in Gamestop credit lol. Not counting the hundreds I spent on console credit or some games and one Amazon gift card, too. I need to flip this asap because I don't really like shopping there. Only thing I can think of flipping for equal value is the Xbox One X but I can't even preorder the damn thing anymore

Marker007

Didn't realize this ended today. I actually got up this morning, went through my stuff, then logged on to gaf to see it ended on the 3rd. LE SIGH.

They have a 60% extra credit sale if you trade towards a used game. It's not on the listed deals on their site but it's a real promotion. Just have to pick a used game in store and trade towards it. All credit will count as 60% extra and it doesn't matter if your credit goes over the price of the used game either.

Hmm, should've look at my receipt more carefully. Not only did my extra 10% credit not apply, two games (beyond oasis and mortal kombat 3) did not get the 70% bump, meaning I got $20.80 less credit than I should have.

Luminaire

They have a 60% extra credit sale if you trade towards a used game. It's not on the listed deals on their site but it's a real promotion. Just have to pick a used game in store and trade towards it. All credit will count as 60% extra and it doesn't matter if your credit goes over the price of the used game either.

So you could potentially trade in $534 towards a used copy of Spongebob for 360?

any games to flip with the b2g1 coupons? I have two of them

just got B2G1 coupon after this ended.... sigh.

lol deal is dead. Maybe save it and hope they have another 60% bonus before it expires.

If you can find preowned games to buy equal to their TIValue it might be worth something but thats a longshot

Edit:

This might have some use if true!

Damn thats essentially a way better deal than having to trade in 6 games at a time?! Sounds very YMMV though

ryan299

lol deal is dead. Maybe save it and hope they have another 60% bonus before it expires.

If you can find preowned games to buy equal to their TIValue it might be worth something but thats a longshot

Edit:

This might have some use if true!

Damn thats essentially a way better deal than having to trade in 6 games at a time?! Sounds very YMMV though

Yeah i was wondering bc I saw the post saying 60% for buying a used game.

Pez

Do you know how long this promotion is going on for?

Malakai

Hmm I guess you do have to go in store again :/

Also, to note...It was mentioned in the last GS thread that during Black Friday those Pro Rewards Points might be worth double than what they are now. Could be worth waiting if you have a lot of points saved

I may be wrong and/or recalling incorrectly but I believe it is discounted points for the Pre-owned certificates. For example, the $10 Pre-Owned Reward Certificate is currently 8,000 points. During Black Friday, it would be 4,000 points for the $10 Pre-Owned Reward Certificate.

Zen Aku

Does Gamestop have any deal going where you get a trade bonus towards a specific game(Destiny)?

Power Up Pro member get an extra 30% when you trade toward MARIO+RABBIDS: BATTLE KINGDOM, DESTINY 2, MADDEN NFL 18, MARVEL VS CAPCOM, METROID SAMUS, NBA 2K18, NHL 17, POKKEN TOURNAMENT, AND YAKUZA KIWMI

Marker007

I may be wrong and/or recalling incorrectly but I believe it is discounted points for the Pre-owned certificates. For example, the $10 Pre-Owned Reward Certificate is currently 8,000 points. During Black Friday, it would be 4,000 points for the $10 Pre-Owned Reward Certificate.

One thing to remember is that they expire a lot faster when they are discounted like that. Gotta spend them quick.

Top Bottom