• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Trade-in 6 Games 60% (+10% for Pro Members) Bonus 8/21-9/3

Kintaco

Breaking: corporations mad that consumers find a way to come out on top.
But the employees are not the corporation. The are employees that probably don't get paid very well and this does not affect them personally in the least.

SamNW

But the employees are not the corporation. The are employees that probably don't get paid very well and this does not affect them personally in the least.
Yeah, hard to say why any one employee is annoyed about it, but it's complicated. People can get attached to their companies, even when they don't treat them well. Probably hear from their managers about how it sucks that people are doing it, etc.

7roject28

Well I made a few bucks. Frys had Puyo Puyo and Binding of Isaac on sale for $25 each. So I went and bought those two, it was limit of 1 each, and then went straight to Gamestop and they gave me $39 for Puyo Puyo and $34 for Binding of Isaac. I needed 2 more games to get 6 too so those two were perfect fit.

I was about to say it's not too late. Then I look at the time and realized it's Sunday... Welp. The fact that we got two of these 70% promotion in a matter of a couple months is pretty awesome.

Most people here walked away with a brand new console and more.
Yeah Im not too worried about it I just kind of wanted that Destiny PS4 Pro bundle and could have gotten it for another $100 or so less had I really wanted to. I think It's probably just smarter to wait for Black Friday anyway and I'm not even sure I really want a Pro.

Marker007

Yeah, I'm stockpiling my credit for Black Friday myself. This was a good time to load on ammo so I can snipe some deals over the holidays.

Going to trade in all my games reminded me of why I never, ever, shop at GameStop. Worst experience at a retail store I've had in years.

I walk in with a bunch of PS4 games to trade and the guy behind the counter scans them all one by one and is amicable. He talks about how he's finished playing a lot of these games and asks how I like them. Started off pretty pleasant.

He then tells me about the Pro card and he says it will actually *save* me money if I got one with the trade in. So I went ahead and had him ring it up to see how much the trade value would go up. It went up $11, so obviously not enough to cover the cost of the $15 card. I tell him I'd rather not do the card and save the 4 dollars.

Him: "What?" *Gives me a look like I'm an idiot*

Me: "Yeah, it's crazy but I'm going to say no to the Pro card. This will probably be the last trade in I do at GameStop this year."

Him: "You're the first person I've ever seen who would pass on this! My friends and I save hundreds of dollars with this card."

Me: "I know. I appreciate the offer but I think I'll pass."

Him: (he gives a long winded sales pitch of what I get with the Pro card) "You do realize you're basically turning down free money right? You would walk away with more credit if you get the card."

(This was untrue; I watched him ring up the difference in trade credit earlier and it was not more. But he was publicly egging me on so hard that I believed him for a second and agreed to have him ring the card up again. Of course, it was not more credit with the card. I asked him to take the card off again.)

Him: Really?!

Me: Yes, really.

(After he realized he wasn't going to convince me, his tone got a lot colder towards me.)

Him: "Alright. Your loss. Again, you're the first person I've ever seen who would do something like this."

He handed me the card to swipe and I walked out.

Can't wait to use every cent of that store credit to get an Amazon gift card. And good f**king riddance. GameStop can burn for all I care.

You fucked up. That b2g1 coupon you get for signing up is worth $40 or so in a free game or even if you flip them back. You lost.

I had a bad experience in one of the stores as I traded some games along with 2 that I got from RedBox (to get the 60%). They charged me $4 each for the two of the RedBox games saying that the discs had a scratch and when I asked the associate to show me scratch, he got really annoyed. I actually did clean the discs before taking them in and inspected for any scratches. The discs were in good condition.

Then when I tried to get a GS gift card the associate told that he is not going to sell anything to me in the store and literally pointed towards the door. I asked him for the name of his manager but he kept repeating that its his store and he can do whatever he wants. I kept my composure and I asked for his manager's name again. He repeated a first name 3 times. I had enough and left the store.

Shady859

I had a bad experience in one of the stores as I traded some games along with 2 that I got from RedBox (to get the 60%). They charged me $4 each for the two of the RedBox games saying that the discs had a scratch and when I asked the associate to show me scratch, he got really annoyed. I actually did clean the discs before taking them in and inspected for any scratches. The discs were in good condition.

Then when I tried to get a GS gift card the associate told that he is not going to sell anything to me in the store and literally pointed towards the door. I asked him for the name of his manager but he kept repeating that its his store and he can do whatever he wants. I kept my composure and I asked for his manager's name again. He repeated a first name 3 times. I had enough and left the store.

I only shop GS when abusing TIV or when they have good sales and I've never had a bad experience. Traded in a total of 6 Redbox games today at 2 stores without anyone batting an eye I just shove them in cheap paper cd sleeves. Tried removing 1 sticker using hairdryer trick and goo gone and it use made a mess so I left all the other stickers on. Had never actually tried removing these before usually the only stickers I bother pulling off is the outer layer Gamestop stickers if they will come off easily as I drive to the next GS to trade them back in lol.

Without a transaction # for a survey nobody will take your complaint seriously, Gamestop is probably the most pranked store around. Go back and buy multiple cheap items and hammer them hard via survey then return the items and get more survey slips. ;)

pretty standard depending on state law.

Similar to what pawn shops do. Here in CA they take your fingerprint

The county I live in you can't trade in accessories........ I had to go to a GS like 15 minutes away to trade in my old controllers last time I upgraded.

Stoze

So I after traded in a bunch of stuff, bought a Steam wallet card, I was left with about $200. Apparently they applied this to a Destiny 2 PS4 bundle pre-order for whatever reason (despite no mention of the game/bundle) instead of just putting it on my Pro card balance.

Do I have to call them up to cancel this or will the deposit just return to the balance of my Pro card in a few days, since it's not nearly enough to pay for the bundle?

kirblar

So I after traded in a bunch of stuff, bought a Steam wallet card, I was left with about $200. Apparently they applied this to a Destiny 2 PS4 bundle pre-order for whatever reason (despite no mention of the game/bundle) instead of just putting it on my Pro card balance.

Do I have to call them up to cancel this or will the deposit just return to the balance of my Pro card in a few days, since it's not nearly enough to pay for the bundle?
I think you got a shitty employee who did it to rack up their numbers knowing you'd cancel it.

Megatron

You are I think going to have to go in and have them put the balance back on your card. You can't get screwed over, like you aren't stuck having to buy it, but you do have to go back for your credit. If you do it before Tuesday, the employee will lose the pre order credit he got, I think. After Tuesday he gets the credit weather you buy it or not.

Stoze

You are I think going to have to go in and have them put the balance back on your card. You can't get screwed over, like you aren't stuck having to buy it, but you do have to go back for your credit. If you do it before Tuesday, the employee will lose the pre order credit he got, I think. After Tuesday he gets the credit weather you buy it or not.
Ugh, ok. Thanks.

Kintaco

I had my clerk say that everytime you trade in a game you get $5 to apply to a pre-order. I took it to mean a bonus $5, but I see it deducted from my trade amount. After reading your post it seems they are trying to pad their pre-order numbers?
Any truth to the $5 trade-in towards a pre-order? I put it towards Metroid: Samus Returns SE which I wanted anyway (unless I can find it at Best Buy for my GCU discount) on release day.

Willenium

I had my clerk say that everytime you trade in a game you get $5 to apply to a pre-order. I took it to mean a bonus $5, but I see it deducted from my trade amount. After reading your post it seems they are trying to pad their pre-order numbers?
Any truth to the $5 trade-in towards a pre-order? I put it towards Metroid: Samus Returns SE which I wanted anyway (unless I can find it at Best Buy for my GCU discount) on release day.

Lately, Gamestops seem to keep a stack of their "Extra $5 Credit" coupons next to their registers. Seems to be an easy way for them to boost pre-orders in a "I'll give you this coupon if you put it towards a pre-order" kinda way. They definitely shouldn't be automatically using your credit on pre-orders you didn't ask for, though.

Kintaco

Lately, Gamestops seem to keep a stack of their "Extra $5 Credit" coupons next to their registers. Seems to be an easy way for them to boost pre-orders in a "I'll give you this coupon if you put it towards a pre-order" kinda way. They definitely shouldn't be automatically using your credit on pre-orders you didn't ask for, though.
He did mention it, but I guess he didn't explain it right. I agreed to the $5. After checking my receipt further I see he applied the extra $5 credit to Madden 18 and then put it towards my Metroid pre-order. So mine actually good.

Kintaco

Fffffuuuuuu i forgot
Yeah I almost messed up, wasn't aware that Gamestop closed at 6p on Sundays, but someone here mentioned it and I made it at 5:30p.

Hopefully they extend it as others have mentioned that GameStop has done on previous holiday weekends.

LycanXIII

Going to trade in all my games reminded me of why I never, ever, shop at GameStop. Worst experience at a retail store I've had in years.

I walk in with a bunch of PS4 games to trade and the guy behind the counter scans them all one by one and is amicable. He talks about how he's finished playing a lot of these games and asks how I like them. Started off pretty pleasant.

He then tells me about the Pro card and he says it will actually *save* me money if I got one with the trade in. So I went ahead and had him ring it up to see how much the trade value would go up. It went up $11, so obviously not enough to cover the cost of the $15 card. I tell him I'd rather not do the card and save the 4 dollars.

Me: "Yeah, it's crazy but I'm going to say no to the Pro card. This will probably be the last trade in I do at GameStop this year."

Him: "You're the first person I've ever seen who would pass on this! My friends and I save hundreds of dollars with this card."

Him: (he gives a long winded sales pitch of what I get with the Pro card) "You do realize you're basically turning down free money right? You would walk away with more credit if you get the card."

(This was untrue; I watched him ring up the difference in trade credit earlier and it was not more. But he was publicly egging me on so hard that I believed him for a second and agreed to have him ring the card up again. Of course, it was not more credit with the card. I asked him to take the card off again.)

(After he realized he wasn't going to convince me, his tone got a lot colder towards me.)

Him: "Alright. Your loss. Again, you're the first person I've ever seen who would do something like this."

Can't wait to use every cent of that store credit to get an Amazon gift card. And good f**king riddance. GameStop can burn for all I care.

You did mess up. It went up by $11. If it wasn't enough to cover it, it would have went down in price.

Edit: Pro costs $15 for a year, your trade in went up $11, meaning you got $26 extra from Pro.

Kintaco

You did mess up. It went up by $11. If it wasn't enough to cover it, it would have went down in price.

Edit: Pro costs $15 for a year, your trade in went up $11, meaning you got $26 extra from Pro.
Ultimately it depends on the amount of his trade-in. If his total was more than $150 then yes he screwed up, as it would have covered the Pro fee plus whatever else the trade in value was. I traded in 7 games and got $230 so it's hard to imagine someone getting less than $115 for their games but it's possible as I did trade I'm some high valued stuff.

Edit: I see he got $168 but the additional 10% is off the regular value not the higher value "available today only". So it does seems like he'd lose credit by getting the Pro card.

We went through this yesterday. With a 60% bonus he got whatever he did. Like $168 something. If he had paid $15 and gotten another 10% it would have been $179 something (then subtract the $15 for the Pro membership), not enough to cover the cost of the membership. I still would have just paid the extra $4 or so for the membership since it'd easily be worth it but I guess he just didnt want to.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I went in to trade some random games for cash and the worker there was really nice. We chatted about Destiny 2 and he didn't mention reserves or anything. He asked me once if I had a card and that was it.

What's sad is that he could get fired for low quota for doing something that's actually enjoyable.

I won't make them my go to game store. Their GameStop TV always makes me feel like an idiot or a noob. I'd rather have a quiet browser as my store.

I went in to trade some random games for cash and the worker there was really nice. We chatted about Destiny 2 and he didn't mention reserves or anything. He asked me once if I had a card and that was it.

What's sad is that he could get fired for low quota for doing something that's actually enjoyable.

I won't make them my go to game store. Their GameStop TV always makes me feel like an idiot or a noob. I'd rather have a quiet browser as my store.

Don't think this. I have plenty of normal chats with my customers, I'm not overly pushy with the gamestop stuff either and the last thing I worry about is getting fired for low numbers.

Don't get me wrong, the col score stuff is still something worth discussing and definitely needs to be addressed, but still we can have normal conversations with people without coming off like robits.

Zen Aku

We went through this yesterday. With a 60% bonus he got whatever he did. Like $168 something. If he had paid $15 and gotten another 10% it would have been $179 something (then subtract the $15 for the Pro membership), not enough to cover the cost of the membership. I still would have just paid the extra $4 or so for the membership since it'd easily be worth it but I guess he just didnt want to.

Let's say he traded in 6 games and after the 60% promo he has a total of $165.
$165 - $15 (for the pro membership) = $150 x 0.10 = $165.

So the bare minimum of him not losing any money is $165. Plus he would have gained a B2G1 coupon as well.

Even if he traded in 6 games that are only worth $20 per game (before the 60% increase) he would have easily made it over the $165 threshold.

Kyzer

Banned
Let's say he traded in 6 games and after the 60% promo he has a total of $165.
$165 - $15 (for the pro membership) = $150 x 0.10 = $165.

So the bare minimum of him not losing any money is $165. Plus he would have gained a B2G1 coupon as well.

Even if he traded in 6 games that are only worth $20 per game (before the 60% increase) he would have easily made it over the $165 threshold.

"only" $20 per game from gamestop trade in lol

Nier ($32)
Yakuza 0 ($40)
Cod Advanced Warfare ($3.20)
Persona 5 - ($40)
Black Ops 3 - ($12.80)
Titanfall 2 - ($21.60)
Wolfenstein: TNO - ($19.20)

Total: $168.80
I love stories of people thinking they are sticking it to the man just to expose that they were actually wrong. They were trying to give you a free $2 for a year membership And you turned it down bruh

reKon

Banned

Thank you for nicely illustrating your L so that we can could laugh at you.

Should have read up more about this on GAF!

Zen Aku

"only" $20 per game from gamestop trade in lol

Nioh, Yakuza 0, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, Gravity Rush Remastered, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost Recon Wildlands, Mario + Rabbids, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Breath of the Wild, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Just Dance 2017, Disgaea 5 Complete, Overwatch, Madden 2018 are games that are $20+ in base value right now. Not even counting many other titles like Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, Super Smash Bros, Crash Bandicot, GTA V, Forza Horizon 3 that are at $20.

With that text message B2G1 free coupon, it's not hard to find 6 games that is will trade in for at least $20.

Might wanna do a little research before you make yourself look stupid.

"lol"

Nier ($32)
Yakuza 0 ($40)
Cod Advanced Warfare ($3.20)
Persona 5 - ($40)
Black Ops 3 - ($12.80)
Titanfall 2 - ($21.60)
Wolfenstein: TNO - ($19.20)

Total: $168.80
If this is the total amount you got after the 60% then you definitely fucked up. You would have gained $0.30 and a B2G1 free coupon at the very least.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Damn I thought this extended longer. Does anybody know if this is returning again anytime soon?

If this is the total amount you got after the 60% then you definitely fucked up. You would have gained $0.30 and a B2G1 free coupon at the very least.
No because the base trades of his game were like $105 total. So add 60% to that and it's $168.

Now if he had added 70% instead the total would be $178.50

Those werent exact numbers down to the penny but it was very close to that. The difference there is only $10.50 which is not itself enough to pay for the $15 Pro membership.

You can argue all the other benefits and I'd agree with you, but in his case I think he said he wouldn't be going back which would make everything else irrelevant. He'd still get the magazine too, but we'll pretend that has zero value to him also. So just speaking in terms of credit amount he'd have lost a few dollars if he decided to pay the $15 for the membership.

Zen Aku

No because the base trades of his game were like $105 total. So add 60% to that and it's $168.

Those werent exact numbers down to the penny but it was very close to that. The difference there is only $10.50 which is not itself enough to pay for the $15 Pro membership.

You can argue all the other benefits and I'd agree with you, but in his case I think he said he wouldn't be going back which would make everything else irrelevant. He'd still get the magazine too, but we'll pretend that has zero value to him also. So just speaking in terms of credit amount he'd have lost a few dollars if he decided to pay the $15 for the membership.

Umm no.

I did the math dude.

He got $168 after 60%. They would have taken -$15 off = $153 x 10% = $15.30

$15.30 would have been enough to cover his pro membership. You did your math wrong.

jrDev

How did you only get $10 by adding 10%? 🤔
The poster was silly and duped himself...

Umm no.

I did the math dude.

He got $168 after 60%. They would have taken -$15 off = $153 x 10% = $15.30

$15.30 would have been enough to cover his pro membership. You did your math wrong.

They would have added it all to the base of $105. So it'd be $105 + 70% = 178.5 as opposed to $105 + 60% = $168

Actually you might be right there. If he have gotten that extra $5 bonus card. He would have been golden.

Yeah if he knew about it he could have asked and they probably would have done that to get him to subscribe. Or the cashier could've thought and offered it since he wanted him to sign up so bad.

hah we still calculating it.

Pro membership is pretty worth it for anything less than $10

if anything you would get a subscription to game informer and probably $5-$10 in Reward points coupons.

overcast

Damn I thought this extended longer. Does anybody know if this is returning again anytime soon?
Yeah me too. Couldn't make it in today. I'll be able to beat one of the games I was gonna trade in by the time the next deal rolls around.

Many stores have a policy to not take Redbox discs. You're lucky they accepted them at all.

I know if I was buying a used game and it was a Redbox copy i wouldn't want to buy it.

Pez

Didn't realize this ended today. I actually got up this morning, went through my stuff, then logged on to gaf to see it ended on the 3rd. LE SIGH.

That is a lie and it is specifically against their policy to use the $5 bonus trade card in that way. They can get fired for that. Next time you go in you can cancel the pre order and get that $5 at least.

I'm not a GameStop employee, just an experienced flipper. I've been doing this since 2004 or so. I paid for my psp and launch games with Max Payne 2 xbox flips from blockbuster to gamecrazy.

Many stores have a policy to not take Redbox discs. You're lucky they accepted them at all.

I know if I was buying a used game and it was a Redbox copy i wouldn't want to buy it.

It would have been okay if they didn't accept the Redbox discs. I didn't need any favors. Besides it is more about the attitude and manner the store conducted itself. But go ahead blame it on me.

I only shop GS when abusing TIV or when they have good sales and I've never had a bad experience. Traded in a total of 6 Redbox games today at 2 stores without anyone batting an eye I just shove them in cheap paper cd sleeves. Tried removing 1 sticker using hairdryer trick and goo gone and it use made a mess so I left all the other stickers on. Had never actually tried removing these before usually the only stickers I bother pulling off is the outer layer Gamestop stickers if they will come off easily as I drive to the next GS to trade them back in lol.

Without a transaction # for a survey nobody will take your complaint seriously, Gamestop is probably the most pranked store around. Go back and buy multiple cheap items and hammer them hard via survey then return the items and get more survey slips. ;)

I didn't know about this hairdryer trick. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm desperate to get the 60% rate on the trades.

And I did fill out the survey from the trade-in receipt.

It would have been okay if they didn't accept the Redbox discs. I didn't need any favors. Besides it is more about the attitude and manner the store conducted itself. But go ahead blame it on me.

They should have charged you a refurb fee for the lower percieved value of a redbox copy with those stickers on them and/or the time associated with removing them. It's very difficult and leaves a messy residue and can ruin the disc.

As for the attitude, redbox discs are widely known to be stolen often times and while the employee was wrong to give an attitude they do have the right to refuse service if they believe something may have been stolen, which nine times out of ten, redbox discs are. None of the stores around me accept them, ever. I learned that when state of decay was on sale at red box cheap and went for like $20 at gamestop.

Not blaming you, just explaining why you experienced this. Redbox trades are more often than not a waste of time for this reason, unless you can reliably remove the stickers without any residue.

I didn't know about this hairdryer trick. Maybe I'll try it next time I'm desperate to get the 60% rate on the trades.

And I did fill out the survey from the trade-in receipt.

Hairdryer trick works somewhat but the stickers don't peel cleanly, the come off in tiny chips and flakes and can leave sticky residue. Also, the inner rings on PS4 discs are smaller and it's really easy to peel off the label when removing the stickers. XBox one discs have larger inner rings so you don't get that as much.

I used a hairdryer on High for 30 seconds at a time, with the hairdryer directly over the center of the disc. I attempted to peel it and let the disc cool a bit then did another 30 seconds. I think if you apply too much heat the disc can snap or the inner ring can crack and then you're screwed.

Top Bottom