• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop Trade-in 6 Games 60% (+10% for Pro Members) Bonus 8/21-9/3

linkboy

I just traded in 5 games (Smash Bros 3DS, Skyrim PS4, Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch, MGS V PS4 and Horizon).

At first, the employee didn't apply my Pro membership, then she tried to put a refurbished fee on my Skyrim disc (the other employee looked and it, said nothing was wrong with the disc and removed it, and the first employee tried to put it back on again).

All and all, I ended up with $126.75 in store credit. Picked up Madden and she put the remaining credit onto a gift card.

Is it possible to turn that into Amazon credit. If not, I'll use it for Metroid.

Never going to that store again, lady just really pissed me off.

BroBot

I just traded in 5 games (Smash Bros 3DS, Skyrim PS4, Puyo Puyo Tetris Switch, MGS V PS4 and Horizon).

At first, the employee didn't apply my Pro membership, then she tried to put a refurbished fee on my Skyrim disc (the other employee looked and it, said nothing was wrong with the disc and removed it, and the first employee tried to put it back on again).

All and all, I ended up with $126.75 in store credit. Picked up Madden and she put the remaining credit onto a gift card.

Is it possible to turn that into Amazon credit. If not, I'll use it for Metroid.

Never going to that store again, lady just really pissed me off.

Buy a GameStop Gift Card with your trade credit.

Buy an Amazon Gift Card with your GameStop Gift Card.

Both transactions can be tricky depending on the employee. Just swipe the card when they show you your total.

reKon

Banned
So I pretty much turned $130 into $265 of store credit. I'll eventually try the GameStop gift card to Amazon cash thing if it will work. I just couldn't let nothing happen with those 2 buy 2 get 1 free offers I had.

I wish I had more time to take advantage of this deal in July.

SheHateMe

Just got back from making money spending no money.

I took 12 games I no longer played or could buy digital (Fable 2, The Simpsons Game, Drakengard 3, OoT 3DS, Super Mario Maker 3DS, Mega Man Legacy 2, Bloodborne, Mad Max, FFX Vita, Muramasa Vita, Dragon's Crown Vita, and Black Ops 3) and went to the first GS. Traded in the six most expensive ones and got $102 back. Bought ARMS, MK8D, and BotW for the Switch using my B2G1 coupon.

Went to the second GS less than 2 miles away and traded those in along with 3 of the games I had left and got $192 back.

Went to a third GS and bought 3 more used copies of the above Switch games, bring me back down to $98.

Went to the final GS and traded in the same games along with the last 3 games I had and made another $180 back.

I spent no money out of pocket today, but I have a total of $278 in store credit. The only reason I didn't do it once more was because it's close to closing. I might travel further out tomorrow to hit my limit of those games and finish boomeranging GS as I have one more B2G1 coupon.

I bought a new PS4 controller and some PSN credit to rebuy Bloodborne.

Thanks, GS for making this so easy.

So I just went into the store and traded in 7 games and I didn't get the boost for being a Pro member. Their system kept telling me my card expired in 2015 but I just renewed it this Summer and was previously using it no problem. I'm on the phone with customer support now. I got screwed.

That's not true. I called customer support and they verified that I do indeed have a Pro account. So I had to go back to the store and the manager post voided my transaction, re-rang everything up and got my account to pull. He even boosted my credit with a couple of those bonus cards for my trouble.

I guess their system was on the fritz all day long. If they knew that already, I don't know why they denied my transaction of a Pro membership attached to it. I wasn't the only one this happened to.

Oh well. I got Destiny 2 preordered and snagged Mario + Rabbids and only had to pay $6 out of pocket.

I had the same problem this morning. On the first register my pro account came up as expired, but they tried the other register and on that one it showed up as active membership. So yeah there was definitely something odd going on today.

dVeLoPe

i traded in 6 games today and im a pro member when I calculated the pricing thru their website it gave me more..

they only gave me base value (not pro) plus the 70% did the cashier do it wrong?

he was in a hurry and rang up the games first then my pro card...

what should I do I know its not much but every dollar counts ya know!

kirblar

i traded in 6 games today and im a pro member when I calculated the pricing thru their website it gave me more..

they only gave me base value (not pro) plus the 70% did the cashier do it wrong?

he was in a hurry and rang up the games first then my pro card...

what should I do I know its not much but every dollar counts ya know!
It's base plus 70, not 110 of 160.

The 10% pro is applied to the base price and does not include the promotional 60%. Essentially pro members get 70% extra from the base price with this deal.

Base price for those games would total to $105.50. The 60% promotion would add $63.30 and the pro 10% would add an additional $10.55 for a total of $179.35. So the amount you saw was right.

Boom. Thank you for the info on that. So I really did save a few extra dollars not getting the card.

Thanks everyone else for making me question my sanity! Lol

Hearing a sales pitch is your worst retail experience and you want the store to burn to the ground because of that? I get it's annoying but it shouldn't be that big of a deal, certainly not enough to wish the loss of employment upon thousands of people. Unless he had an angry tone or something like that.

Reading my initial post back, it doesn't seem too bad the way I wrote it out. But the guy was practically arguing with me in public and his tone was a lot more aggressive than I wrote it out to be. I had to say no to him 4 or 5 times before he finally took the hint. I don't mind the sales pitch, that's common across retail stores in general. What I do mind is not taking no for an answer.

And yes my reaction was a bit hyperbolic - the result of me being frustrated about the whole experience and posting right after it happened. But what I was trying to express is that, IMO, GameStop is a horrible company for more reasons than just my experience today, and outside of the obvious big downside of the loss of jobs, I would not feel very bad about seeing it shuttered.

bronk

Banned
So I want to trade in Persona 5 but wanna get that 60%. I dont have any other games to trade at the moment. Can anyone let me kno on some flips or games to use as filler. I know of Dark Souls 3 at Redbox. Not sure if one near me has any though. Thanks guys.

Ok so tomorrow im grabbing a copy of dark souls 3 for ps4 and xbox one. Then heading to best buy to fo same with ezio collection. That makes 5 games i need 1 more.

Hero

Boom. Thank you for the info on that. So I really did save a few extra dollars not getting the card.

Thanks everyone else for making me question my sanity! Lol

Reading my initial post back, it doesn't seem too bad the way I wrote it out. But the guy was practically arguing with me in public and his tone was a lot more aggressive than I wrote it out to be. I had to say no to him 4 or 5 times before he finally took the hint. I don't mind the sales pitch, that's common across retail stores in general. What I do mind is not taking no for an answer.

And yes my reaction was a bit hyperbolic - the result of me being frustrated about the whole experience and posting right after it happened. But what I was trying to express is that, IMO, GameStop is a horrible company for more reasons than just my experience today, and outside of the obvious big downside of the loss of jobs, I would not feel very bad about seeing it shuttered.

Even if the math is right or wrong, you are making a stink out of a whopping 4 dollars of virtual currency. The B2G1 coupon is worth way more than that. If this is one of the worst things you've had to endure in your retail life then you've had it pretty damn easy.

SamNW

Even if the math is right or wrong, you are making a stink out of a whopping 4 dollars of virtual currency. The B2G1 coupon is worth way more than that. If this is one of the worst things you've had to endure in your retail life then you've had it pretty damn easy.
I'll just say, to everyone giving this person shit for being annoyed with his experience at GameStop: it's not about $4 saved or lost. And this person doesn't seem to be saying they suffered some horrible or devastating indignity. It's just another example of the frictions of retail interaction, and it's indicative of why so much retail business is moving online. Not only is it more convenient, but you don't have to deal with obnoxious salespeople operating within corporate structures that create the sort of behavior described.

Shady859

Couple more Redbox profit + fillers

TIV @ 70%
RBI 17 $5 = $17
DARK SOULS 10 = 17
GHOSTBUSTERS 5 = 13.60
TURTLES MHTN 5 = 13.60

Deus Ex $5 = keep and play :)

The B2G1 doesn't carry any value for me since I don't shop at GameStop. Would much rather do the bulk of my game purchases through Best Buy or Amazon since GameStop seems to be the only place I have a negative experience buying a game. I wouldn't use the B2G1 often enough to make it worth it.

I don't know which retail stores you go to, but I don't commonly get employees who argue with me. Employees who are a little rude, sure, but not people who keep pushing back at me over and over again despite me telling them no.

The argument that I was making a stink over 4 dollars could just as easily apply to the guy I was dealing with over the counter.

I'll just say, to everyone giving this person shit for being annoyed with his experience at GameStop: it's not about $4 saved or lost. And this person doesn't seem to be saying they suffered some horrible or devastating indignity. It's just another example of the frictions of retail interaction, and it's indicative of why so much retail business is moving online. Not only is it more convenient, but you don't have to deal with obnoxious salespeople operating within corporate structures that create the sort of behavior described.

Right. I'm more frustrated by the corporate culture that provoked the employee to interact with me that way, and less at the employee himself. If I want to save an extra 4 bucks and not be upsold on a Pro card, that should be my choice and I shouldn't have to deal with someone arguing back at me over it.

You've had a pretty great life if that's your worst retail experience.

Hero

The B2G1 doesn't carry any value for me since I don't shop at GameStop. Would much rather do the bulk of my game purchases through Best Buy or Amazon since GameStop seems to be the only place I have a negative experience buying a game. I wouldn't use the B2G1 often enough to make it worth it.

I don't know which retail stores you go to, but I don't commonly get employees who argue with me. Employees who are a little rude, sure, but not people who keep pushing back at me over and over again despite me telling them no.

The argument that I was making a stink over 4 dollars could just as easily apply to the guy I was dealing with over the counter.

Right. I'm more frustrated by the corporate culture that provoked the employee to interact with me that way, and less at the employee himself. If I want to save an extra 4 bucks and not be upsold on a Pro card, that should be my choice and I shouldn't have to deal with someone arguing back at me over it.

Were you in theater or drama? Because I'm still having a hard time seeing you as a victim here since the dude was only doing his job. Again, you must have had a pretty damn easy life if you haven't had any negative experiences with Best Buy or Amazon. Best Buy is notorious for pushing product replacement plans on anything they can and I've had multiple packages from both retailers not get delivered on time or collectors items being damaged during shipping and the CSR rep thinks a 10 dollar gift card or an additional month of Prime makes up for it. No retailer is perfect so stop acting like GameStop victimized you when this employee was just doing his job and trying to point out that it would basically be paying for itself. Even if the guy were an asshole then I would at least expect you to have the mental capacity to acknowledge the fact that not all GameStop employees are like that and wishing that a company goes out of business is a pretty drastic overreaction.

Marker007

How can you do this? From the app?

Text "In" to 46787. No quotations. It will text you back and ask for an e-mail and then it will send you a coupon code after you reply with an e-mail. A Gamestop employee has to manually key in the code when you want to use it though, because it's text only.

Couple more Redbox profit + fillers

TIV @ 70%
RBI 17 $5 = $17
DARK SOULS 10 = 17
GHOSTBUSTERS 5 = 13.60
TURTLES MHTN 5 = 13.60

Deus Ex $5 = keep and play :)

...trade that shit in😡 Game is hot garbage. :p
NBA 2k 17 and madden 17 on PS3 trades in for $28 if you can find those cheap. They are $20 at Walmart if you guys need an extra game to trade.. still $8 profit.

Edit: keep in mind, like last promo.. deals may be extended cause of holiday.

Text "In" to 46787. No quotations. It will text you back and ask for an e-mail and then it will send you a coupon code after you reply with an e-mail. A Gamestop employee has to manually key in the code when you want to use it though, because it's text only.

Thanks for this. Used it on another 3 switch games and tossed in some filler junk I didn't need anymore for even more credit.

I also decided to take advantage of the PS4 trade in deal. Got $225 in credit for it which is better than I would have gotten anywhere else for just a launch console + controller.

Final result: Brand new PS4 Pro and $342 in credit. Only invested $194 for the initial batch. I'm satisfied.

Thanks. Just when i was out they pull me back in.

How long does it take for them to send the coupon code?

Spacebar

How do I turn this "trade in cash" card into an amazon gc? Just dumped a bunch of old stuff and it feels good as hell to have the space back tbh.

I got my credit on a gift card. Then the next day went to another game stop and bought an amazon gift card. When I went to pay I just swiped the gift card and didn't mention anything to the cashier. He made a comment about it, but then he saw it worked. After that I just paid the rest of the gift card off with my credit card and walked out.

Are there anything worth flipping at GameStop outside of some Switch games?

Madden is great right now if you can find it. I was only able to find one 49.49->51.00 b2g1 boomerang so I did some 34.19->34.00 flips Friday with Pokemon sun and moon and a few other recently released 3ds games. Also modern warfare remastered qualifies for the 34.00 flip also.

Zen Aku

hmm..I'm texting and sending my email on two different phones, but no reply for about 5 min now. I guess i'm out. I wonder if they have my phone in the system or something
Yeah I was wondering if you can get multiple codes if you use different phones. I got one from my cell within minutes of signing up.

WOW. I went into my local gamestop, not for this, but there was a guy in there using a b2g1 coupon to get some games. I couldnt see what they were. But then when he got the games and left it was just me and the employees. The one who was helping him was extremely salty. "Theres another one of these damn lists. We just need to ban everyone buying these games." I had to contain my grin.

Sweet after this weekends haul just checked my reward points and made another 10,000 points lol

Dumb question: does this coupon only work for three games, or can you buy multiples? (Six games, get two free, etc.)

If your referring to the B2G1 coupon you can buy multiple but I think they would have to be on separate transactions.

Zen Aku

WOW. I went into my local gamestop, not for this, but there was a guy in there using a b2g1 coupon to get some games. I couldnt see what they were. But then when he got the games and left it was just me and the employees. The one who was helping him was extremely salty. "Theres another one of these damn lists. We just need to ban everyone buying these games." I had to contain my grin.
Not sure why they're salty. It's not like tthey're losing any profit from any of this.

Kildrek

I went to a GS not normally frequented by myself and they scanned my drivers license and then used some webcam looking thing to take a picture of the trades games stacked up.

I have never had this happen before and it doesn't happen at my home GS. What's up with that?

I went to a GS not normally frequented by myself and they scanned my drivers license and then used some webcam looking thing to take a picture of the trades games stacked up.

I have never had this happen before and it doesn't happen at my home GS. What's up with that?

pretty standard depending on state law.

Similar to what pawn shops do. Here in CA they take your fingerprint

neonglow

Probably one of the locations where they have to hold onto merchandise for 30 days before they can sell it. The picture is just to help them identify groups for storage.

Kildrek

Ok, I thought it was weird as its a shop thats 30 minutes from my home store and when I did a seasonal post last year for shits and giggles, we didn't do that at the home store either.

It is a college town, so I thought maybe they were worried about stolen property and whatnot.

Zen Aku

A little mad at myself for not doing the B2G1. Even if I just wanted to flip 2 of the 3 I could have walked away with a nearly free game. Oh well.
I was about to say it's not too late. Then I look at the time and realized it's Sunday... Welp. The fact that we got two of these 70% promotion in a matter of a couple months is pretty awesome.

Most people here walked away with a brand new console and more.

Top Bottom