• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming characters who annoyed you or you hated?

Regginator

Cuno makes it up by being a great character though. He may have annoyed me on my first playthrough too, the little shit, but the more you find out about him (and there's A LOT to unpack there) the more I really like him as a character. A very multi-layered kid (without delving too much into spoiler territory).

Salmon

She actually has a personality unlike other dimwits in games.
You can’t judge a character by in open world banter alone
Open world? Did I? I hated her guts to my bone. She feels like the most woke and misplaced character in a game. I don't get how people could stand listening to her TikTok/Instagram/Influencer commentary. And yeah, I've seen videos from the actual game, and I wish I would't. I don't know how people defends her at all. This is a thread for hating characters. Or you might be from the TikTok generation and are fine with crap, but I have higher standards.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Citan2.png

Quit playing the game cause he wouldn’t stop talking.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Open world? Did I? I hated her guts to my bone. She feels like the most woke and misplaced character in a game. I don't get how people could stand listening to her TikTok/Instagram/Influencer commentary. And yeah, I've seen videos from the actual game, and I wish I would't. I don't know how people defends her at all. This is a thread for hating characters. Or you might be from the TikTok generation and are fine with crap, but I have higher standards.
Stuff old fuck you are my man :p

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Alloy in Horizon Forbidden West. Insufferable compared to part 1. Actually almost everybody in that game.
Ellie in Last of Us Part 2. She went to far.
You're right, they started to overvalue Ellie and I dislike her, because of her "I'm the badass" attitude I disliked her in TLOU 2.

SCcnmft.jpg

The classic pandering black character. Put late into the game for muh representation. Perfect and "so smart" constantly quoting intellectuals/philosophers without a personality of her own. At least she dies early.
G7Vbn7n.jpg

Oh boy do I even need to say anything about her? Even the lunatics hate Claire because they actually made her a piece of shit lmao.

Cyberpunk has a lot of good characters but these two are terrible. Obviously just put into the game for pandering.

edit: Honorable mentions go to Cohhcarnage and Alanah Pearce. Why are they in the game???

Last edited:
0f1cf31afd61b155986f7d89432d6907.jpg

This stupid motherfucker. By design of course, but still.

(It's Micah Bell from RDR2)

When you get to hunt him up the mountain and fire 1000 rounds on his mustache ass. Thats when the game got the goat status from me.

By design:
Skizzo - Days Gone
Micah Bell - RDR2
Trevor Philips - GTAV
The Riddler - Batman Arkham Series
Eric Sparrow - Tony Hawk's Underground
Ted Faro - Horizon
Joseph Seed - Far Cry 5

Not by design:
Victor Van Lier - NBA 2k16
Megan Reed - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Amelie - Death Stranding
Kai Leng - Mass Effect 3
Everybody - Mass Effect Andromeda
Everybody - DMC: Devil May Cry
Everybody - AC: Valhalla
Abby - TLoU2
The Handler - Monster Hunter: World
Sabal and Amita - Far Cry 4

You are supposed to hate Megan Reed from the convo in mankind divided. She is a soulless corpo sellout. Always was since she knew what Adam was and dated her experiment.

Reckheim

Aloy, if she is the protagonist in the next game I probably wont play it even tho I find the games to be pretty decent.

The all high and mighty attitude with any lack of modesty just really grinds me the wrong way. I know way too many people in my life like that; and I don't need that shit in my games.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Tiny Tina
I have started Spidey 2 and all the Mission givers for side mission are parodies of the world. All are annoying.

SHA

Cuno makes it up by being a great character though. He may have annoyed me on my first playthrough too, the little shit, but the more you find out about him (and there's A LOT to unpack there) the more I really like him as a character. A very multi-layered kid (without delving too much into spoiler territory).
Reggie is not infected genetically like solid snake.

JCK75

I tried to play Atomic heart, my character just annoyed me to where I just deleted it forever.,

tsazOO1.jpg

Gothic - Mud
Yes! Beside Kratos who is just obnoxious in his self absorbed whining in the first trilogy, Mud came first to my mind, he felt like one of those funny copy protections but active by mistake also for legal owners. You can easily get rid of him, but nice as I usually are with my virtual characters I suffered him much longer than the joke was supposed to last.

amigastar

Yes! Beside Kratos who is just obnoxious in his self absorbed whining in the first trilogy, Mud came first to my mind, he felt like one of those funny copy protections but active by mistake also for legal owners. You can easily get rid of him, but nice as I usually are with my virtual characters I suffered him much longer than the joke was supposed to last.
Kratos would also get my vote for annoying character.

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

These jackasses. I don’t remember their names, but the girl gives you attitude after you literally saved her group’s asses.

If only you had the freedom to let them all die and still be able to complete the game.

Just about the entire cast of goofballs honestly.

Only played an hour or so before giving up so never made it this far but even then the characters were insufferable

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Remembered another one. Not only was she fucking annoying, but that accent...jesus.

F0JIRfbXwAAfd-m.jpg:large

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
SCcnmft.jpg

The classic pandering black character. Put late into the game for muh representation. Perfect and "so smart" constantly quoting intellectuals/philosophers without a personality of her own. At least she dies early.
Wait, what? Pandering? There are a tons black characters in this game lmao. Coach Fred, Dex, Reed, Alex, Brigitte, Placide, Denny, and a bunch of others. Why would they add one specifically late to pander? Were the others also pandering? WTF.

Gaiff

dame-aylin-daugher_of_darkness__npcs_bg3_wiki_guide_600px-min-min.jpeg

That dumb bitch. Not only was she utterly useless in the big Act 2 fight, she actively hindered me when she woke me up after I ingested that potion that is supposed to provide the equivalent of a Long Rest after 3 turns of sleep.

Yeah, I know you're a strong and proud lesbian. Now STFU, I'm the main character, not you.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

The name's Poochie Dante and I rock the telly, I'm half sephiroth and a third Vasharelli. I'm the kung fu hippie from Gangsta City, I'm a rappin' surfer, You the fool I pity. In 2001 I was 13 and thought this was the lamest try-hard mr.coolman thing ever. (Still Do)​

Dante_%28DMC%29.png

Wait, what? Pandering? There are a tons black characters in this game lmao. Coach Fred, Dex, Reed, Alex, Brigitte, Placide, Denny, and a bunch of others. Why would they add one specifically late to pander? Were the others also pandering? WTF.
It's almost as if most of these characters actually have a personality and are not perfect. It is easy to tell if a character is just used for diversity checklists.

Gaiff

It's almost as if most of these characters actually have a personality and are not perfect. It is easy to tell if a character is just used for diversity checklists.
But how does that even make sense lol? What diversity checklist? There are other of black characters so the diversity checklist has already been complete. What would they be adding?

Shut0wen

Oh my God. That looks just like me.

Most annoying character for me has got to be Nathan Drake. I can't recall any other characters that just absolutely cannot silence last longer than 5 seconds. He just talks and or yells constantly. Idk if there's a pc version. But I'd want a mod that removes in-game dialog if I was gonna play through it again.
NIbaDxG.jpg
Couldnt agree more, he is literally one of the worst characters of all time, he wasnt to bad on the first game but ND made him worst in every game, he has no character development whatsoever, just a try hard nic cage

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I tried to play Atomic heart, my character just annoyed me to where I just deleted it forever.,

tsazOO1.jpg
oh god yes. so true.
people say forspoken characters are annoying but then I played Atomic Heart and they REALLY NEVER SHUT UP and all they say is grand bs nonsense all the time

Reckheim

Why this trend of hating characters with personality is happening? She is an asshole and goes through somewhat of a character arc.
30 minutes is not enough to finish the intro and not enough to get to know the character.
I haven't played the game and will wait until its available for free somehow. But based on the trailers and the internet historian video she seems way more interesting then any of the recent protagonists.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I haven't played the game and will wait until its available for free somehow. But based on the trailers and the internet historian video she seems way more interesting then any of the recent protagonists.
Exactly. It's a character. A personality. With good and bad traits. With history and reason to behave certain way.
Her arc is not some amazing thing lol but it's decent enough.
I found her more human than many other protagonists....
It's not a blank slate like many other games. We used to have way more of those in previous gens. Now apparently people don't like playing as someone else than themselves.

Top Bottom