• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman: Next Batman to shoot next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Rhino said:
wolviepunch6821jg6.gif
f9qm2v.gif

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Solo said:
I dont believe it remotely. Im sure WB and the Nolan camp have sat down and discussed it, but I doubt anything beyond that has progressed. Chris is 100% focused on Inception now, and Jonathan seems to be in high demand too.

Ive been saying it for a year now, but I dont believe a Nolan bors BB3 hits before 2013.
I could see 2012, but if 2011 somehow happened I'd be scared to death that it was being rushed and Nolan was spreading himself way too thin.

Blader

Solo said:
I dont believe it remotely. Im sure WB and the Nolan camp have sat down and discussed it, but I doubt anything beyond that has progressed. Chris is 100% focused on Inception now, and Jonathan seems to be in high demand too.

Ive been saying it for a year now, but I dont believe a Nolan bros. BB3 hits before 2013.

Bullshit you have! :lol The only reason 2013 has crossed anyone's minds was because of that CHUD article (from a few months ago =P) which was just speculation, I don't know why so many people took it to heart.

Solo

I dont read CHUD, so you can get that theory outta here. As soon as Inception was announced, 2013 seemed pretty much a lock. Thats my pretty simple reasoning. Dont know what their theory is; dont care to know.

Tyrone Slothrop said:
Schwarzenegger returns as Freeze. or at least i'm hoping...

Let's chill out with the jokes and try to be serious. This generation of fans just doesn't think Arnold is cool anymore

Cheebs

Anyone who thinks Nolan will have a film out by 2011 is crazy. He is going to be busy through the first half of 2010 on Inception. Remember that little movie?

jett

D-Member
Solo said:
I dont read CHUD, so you can get that theory outta here. As soon as Inception was announced, 2013 seemed pretty much a lock. Thats my pretty simple reasoning. Dont know what their theory is; dont care to know.

Are you insane? TDK started shooting in 2007, was released in 2008. Inception is a summer 2010 movie. We'll see a Batman movie by 2012 at the latest.

methodman

Banned
Solo said:

Speaking of Inception, has there been any news about it lately?

Cheebs

jett said:
Are you insane? TDK started shooting in 2007, was released in 2008. Inception is a summer 2010 movie. 2013 is not a lock, you crazy person you.
No but 2011 is out of the question. period. He is busy for most of 2010 already. 2012 I could easily see but 2011 won't happen unless its incredibly rushed and no one should want that.

Solo

jett said:
Are you insane? TDK started shooting in 2007, was released in 2008. Inception is a summer 2010 movie. 2013 is not a lock, you crazy person you.

Pre-production cycles are ever increasing. That combined with the Nolans wanting to only put out a movie that lives up to and exceeds TDK, and WB allowing them to do so, leads me to believe that the whole process could take longer than before. Nolan has clout now, so Im sure WB will back off and let him to his thing. Besides, assuming Nolan takes a break after post on Inception, then they might not even start writing the sucker until 2011.

Who knows though. Either way, like I said in the Comic Con thread, I will take a ban willingly if this gets released in 2011.

Blader

I stand corrected, it was a Batman-On-Film article, not CHUD.

I don't read that site either, but the article was posted in the TDK thread and that was the first time people started penciling in Batman 3 for 2013.

Cheebs

Why anyone here wants a Batman film in 2011 is amazing to me. He won't be able to to focus on it till July 2010 at earliest. It would very rushed seeing how he writes them as well as directs. Everything crammed into 1 year, pre, production, and post? I want him focused on Batman with all the time he needs. Not to run from inception straight into it and do it all in 1 years time span.

It would be a MESS.

DMczaf

I wish IMAX would upgrade their cameras so Nolan can shoot the entire thing in full IMAX. I need to see Alfred in his actual scale of 8 stories!

Blader

Cheebs said:
Why anyone here wants a Batman film in 2011 is amazing to me. He won't be able to to focus on it till July 2010 at earliest. It would very rushed seeing how he writes them as well as directs. Everything crammed into 1 year, pre, production, and post? I want him focused on Batman with all the time he needs. Not to run from inception straight into it and do it all in 1 years time span.

It would be a MESS.

It's not as if he can't do it, The Prestige came out a year after BB. And we already known the Nolans are breaking story ideas for the third film, so they could be writing that script while finishing up Inception.

Cheebs

Blader5489 said:
It's not as if he can't do it, The Prestige came out a year after BB. And we already known the Nolans are breaking story ideas for the third film, so they could be writing that script while finishing up Inception.
prestige is a much smaller picture than a batman film would be. you can't do a good huge summer blockbuster in a span of the year, and I doubt nolan would rush this, hell he has been nothing but wishy-washy about doing a third one at all to this day.

DMczaf

Anerythristic said:
The only one I don't want to see Catwoman is someone we might get now that love interest Rachel Dawes is out of the picture.

I'm sure if Batman 3 is made, there will be a new love interest. You don't make a summer blockbuster sausage party, even with Nolan having 100% control he understands this.

CiSTM

Banned
Cool beans. Never liked Batman Begins but god dang Dark Knight was awesome ! I hope the quality is at the same level as it was in the DK. Also I hope there won't be any of those supernatural villains Batman has in this movie.

Busty

Banned
I'd take this news with a pinch of salt the size of your head. But in saying that....

A) Oldman was the one who revealed the now cancelled TDK game when he said he recorded voice work for it so he does let things slip that perhaps he's not supposed to.

B) I've heard that Nolan is possibly shooting two films back to back. The first being Inception and the second could be the biopic on Howard Hughes' later life he's been planning for years, but that's speculation on my part. The plans may have changed but I did hear that.

C) If Nolan has officially passed on directing the next installment then at least that allows Warners to move forward on the third film with Nolan and his wife producing through Syncopy.

D) 2011 would make sense but it seems a little soon and remember WB have the Green Lantern opening that summer. A double header of DC films is possible, but Warners really want to front load everything like that? And the next Spiderman film launches in 2011 as well.

All in all it's possible but frankly it seems a little soon. Colour me skeptical.

Sanjuro

CiSTM said:
Cool beans. Never liked Batman Begins but god dang Dark Knight was awesome ! I hope the quality is at the same level as it was in the DK. Also I hope there won't be any of those supernatural villains Batman has in this movie.
Uh? Batman really doesn't have any major supernatural villains. Only major one would be Ra's Al Ghul and he was adapted in the first Nolan Batman film. Cool beans?

near

Gold Member
JavaMava said:
I don't see any possible way it can live up to, let alone surpass TDK. This will make it disappointing.

All they have to do is cast Johnny Depp. :/

Amir0x

Banned
I really wish they would let the Nolan Bat franchise end with Dark Knight, there's no conceivable way to top it. It's all downhill after that.

Still, I'll watch it like a motherfucker. At the very least, it can be on the level of Begins.

near

Gold Member
xS1TH L0RDx said:
for the follow up to the dark knight...y'know, what this thread is about?!

:lol ...some people... *shakes head*

Yes. I know what you meant. But that's just sad. :(

CiSTM

Banned
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Uh? Batman really doesn't have any major supernatural villains. Only major one would be Ra's Al Ghul and he was adapted in the first Nolan Batman film.

There are plenty of supernatural villains in Batman. League of Assassins is full of 'em but I guess the League of Assassins was kind eliminated after the first movie... Probably. There is still chance that LoA is now after Batman because he
killed Ra's Al Ghu
or some other shit.

Cool beans?
1zbusrc.jpg

edit: oh, you said major. Well there you are spot on. Still there is possibility that next movie will get fucked up.

Busty

Banned
Amir0x said:
I really wish they would let the Nolan Bat franchise end with Dark Knight, there's no conceivable way to top it. It's all downhill after that.

Still, I'll watch it like a motherfucker. At the very least, it can be on the level of Begins.

The third Bourne film was good. The third Spiderman film wasn't.

It's all about finding a balance.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Busty said:
The third Bourne film was good. The third Spiderman film wasn't.

It's all about finding a balance.
If by balance you mean not shoehorning villains in and slapping your hero with Myspace, then yeah.

Solo

Blader5489 said:

The Prestige was also a much smaller film, an adaptation, etc.

Busty said:
C) If Nolan has officially passed on directing the next installment then at least that allows Warners to move forward on the third film with Nolan and his wife producing through Syncopy.

This could very well be the answer. If thats the case, then yeah, theres no reason why a Nolan-less Batman movie couldnt go into production next year.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
i wonder how much money warner would have to offer ledger to reprise his role as the joker.

They'd go so broke that they would have to pick the daisies off his grave to decorate the set.

Vinci

Danish
Cheebs said:
prestige is a much smaller picture than a batman film would be. you can't do a good huge summer blockbuster in a span of the year, and I doubt nolan would rush this, hell he has been nothing but wishy-washy about doing a third one at all to this day.

That's where I am. Either Nolan's back-and-forth about the 3rd film was mostly bullshit or they've switched to a different creative team or something. I don't see it happening this soon. Nolan is too busy.

Sanjuro

CiSTM said:
There are plenty of supernatural villains in Batman. League of Assassins is full of 'em but I guess the League of Assassins was kind eliminated after the first movie... Probably. There is still chance that LoA is now after Batman because he
killed Ra's Al Ghu
or some other shit.

edit: oh, you said major. Well there you are spot on. Still there is possibility that next movie will get fucked up.
I seriously doubt that Nolan will deliver a film that isn't entertaining in any aspects. I have enjoyed the man's entire filmography. Clayface is probably the only major villain that fits in a sort of supernatural category but at the same time he really doesn't. There are dozens of others to choose from and all could be excellent. The Joker is the only nemesis that you need to give a large portion of the story too, if he is charismatic version. That brings me to the last point, there are many villains with different variations depending on the writer. Even Batman himself has gone through many changes.

Flatline

Banned
Shit I didn't know Oldman was Gordon from the previous movies, just saw it on imdb. This talented bastard is such a good actor I can't even recognise him in some movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom