• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

shoreu

I cant deny that price with best buy gamer club discount and some othet gift cards i received.

I haven't kept track on this thread. A lot of ppl online??

I usually have no problems finding matches. Except for today, the servers were down i guess. But yeah, I'll run with you if your want to play a few matches.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Rooftops is an abomination. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, this game has more maps in it that I hate than Gears 2 or 3 ever did.
Execution and Warzone is Gears 1. As such, in Gears 1 there are only like 3 flat out bad maps, and a couple questionable ones. Nearly all of them are godlike.

Execution and Warzone is Gears 1. As such, in Gears 1 there are only like 3 flat out bad maps, and a couple questionable ones. Nearly all of them are godlike.

Nah. Quite a few are horrible and even the good ones have serious design flaws and an over abundance of power weapons. Gears 3 had the most consistently good set of maps with Overpass being the notably bad example but it's designed like a Gears 1 map.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
from the OP im not able to tell what is contained in the PC version. it sounds like NO game is. Read it a few times and cant make sense of it

kingwingin

Nah. Quite a few are horrible and even the good ones have serious design flaws and an over abundance of power weapons. Gears 3 had the most consistently good set of maps with Overpass being the notably bad example but it's designed like a Gears 1 map.

Power weapons are only an issue if you let the other team grab them. Maps are also well made for how the game was meant to be played. Gotta be more tactical

shoreu

The only ones i consider poor are. (Bullet marsh, Courtyard, Roof tops, and Gold Rush).

hell yeah. got it last night and just soaked in all that remaster'ness in the first levels.
so glad the music is the same. so good. cant wait to finaly play 3 and the spin off I never got.

GT: Samurai G0SU if you want to add.

Vee_One

I'm really digging the extra campaign levels that have been added onto Act V that weren't in the original 360 version. Never played the PC version so it's new to me. A bit meatier than I thought they would be.

Bumhead

Banned
Is the SP 30 fps? I swear it feels more like 15 - 20 fps.

Switching from multiplayer at 60fps to single player at 30fps is REALLY jarring.

I'm not one of these "60 or bust" types of guys. And going from completely different games that are 60 to 30 doesn't bother me. But I switched to the SP in Gears after about 2 hours of multi the other night and thought it was really jarring. Got over it after about 30 seconds, but it was pretty awful looking at first.

Kalentan

Switching from multiplayer at 60fps to single player at 30fps is REALLY jarring.

I'm not one of these "60 or bust" types of guys. And going from completely different games that are 60 to 30 doesn't bother me. But I switched to the SP in Gears after about 2 hours of multi the other night and thought it was really jarring. Got over it after about 30 seconds, but it was pretty awful looking at first.

That must be it. I was playing Destiny which despite being at 30 fps, feels amazing. Then I went to Gears MP and then to Gears SP and suddenly Gears SP felt like really sluggish.

Agreed. Playing the campaign is definitely difficult and I actually have to change my play style a bit as I find it hard to see things and stuff when everything is blurry when moving the camera at 30fps.

Also the 30fps cap just doesn't even feel like 30fps. Feels so juddery. Is there frame pacing issues or something?

Other than that though I'm thoroughly enjoying the game!!

slyfox

Why is it so hard to pick up weapons from killed foe/allies in this game? Compared to Gears 3 this game tends to throw the weapon randomly when someone dies and it take me a few seconds tracking where the weapon went.

Why is it so hard to pick up weapons from killed foe/allies in this game? Compared to Gears 3 this game tends to throw the weapon randomly when someone dies and it take me a few seconds tracking where the weapon went.
It was like that in Gears 1. By the time Gears 3 came out they had refined a lot of the stuff in Gears.

This game is Gears 1 though, blemishes and all.

Montresor

Almost finished Act II in the campaign, and earlier today I got the multiplayer achievements for winning 10 shutout matches and for getting a kill with every weapon. The multiplayer becomes more and more fun as you learn each map and understand when and how to use lancer, gnasher, and power weapons.

I had another Team Deathmatch game where I got my butt kicked. I was the last person alive on my team. I pretended to be AFK and of course the people who spotted me decided to slowly approach me instead of killing me right away. People can't help themselves, lol. I chainsaw'd the guy as he approached (and then I get immediately sniper'd):

http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/6e864c5c-f5f4-43df-a52a-25293f82897f

Ballistik

I don't agree with how they have the competitive playlist set up. Sure it's great to be winning every match, but it's flawed because if I have a four man team and join a lobby that isn't four people, more likely than not we're going to keep on having lone wolfs join the other team. This is because after matches end, I notice that at most two or three quit, but rarely is it all four. This prevents my team to get matched up with another four man team because someone will stick around and take up a spot on the other side. It feels unfair to the opposite team, and it leads to very boring lopsided games.

Lobby system is fine for social but in competitive, it should send you back to the menu and make you restart the matchmaking process. This would allow you to play with different people every match, and that's how the game stays interesting and ultimately get better at the game.

Montresor

My brother recorded a video that's a WAY better version of my "Pretend to be away from controller then chainsaw enemy" video.

http://xboxclips.com/Xbone+720p30fps/345fb40f-5cba-4c14-ba7c-af7923ac8c07

In this video everyone's spawns are depleted on Team Deathmatch. The enemy team has only one life left, and my brother pretends to be away from his controller, and he has his chainsaw out. So the last person on the enemy team actually slowly approaches him lol, and then gets chainsaw'd. And yes, my brother's gamertag is "xbone 720p30fps".

Even going back to Gears 2 I used to LOVE doing this. People can't help themselves - they see someone that looks away from the controller and they just have to go right up to them for a gnasher gib instead of going for the sure kill from afar - that's when you can chainsaw them, heheh.

brau

Just saw this pop up in Polycount. Fellow artists sharing the love they put into this game. They really took the word remaster seriously. It looks pretty awesome.

Tons of work into the single player and multiplayer campaign maps : new compositions, dressing, texturing, lighting and vfx. Also characters were completly remake.

We have collaborated with the talented folks at The Coalition, Mindwalk and LemonSky to enhance the original Gears of war done by Epic.
Hope you guys enjoy it!

*UPDATED : Added after/before comparison

House of Sovereigns After :
AIO4fxa.jpg

House of Sovereigns Before :
MM896Rq.jpg

Ephyra Streets After :
awJJNIu.jpg

Ephyra Streets Before :
3GPgYBr.jpg

Ephyra Streets After :
5ViBh7g.jpg

Ephyra Streets Before :
Jb7vovO.jpg

EBA After :
isKjWMZ.jpg

EBA Before :
uZa2jr3.jpg

Factory Exterior After :
8n3byWL.jpg

Factory Exterior Before :
LD0ER8k.jpg

Caves After :
ZNTMvQc.jpg

Caves Before :
jOoi4VQ.jpg

Factory Interior After :
qVGJGb0.jpg

Factory Interior Before :
UMlbTjI.jpg

Viaducts After :
3wN7DR3.jpg

Viaducts Before :
dscCTDZ.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Power weapons are only an issue if you let the other team grab them. Maps are also well made for how the game was meant to be played. Gotta be more tactical

The other team is guaranteed them on several maps. Like a few mentioned below.

The only ones i consider poor are. (Bullet marsh, Courtyard, Roof tops, and Gold Rush).

I mean take Rooftops for example. Probably the worst map in the series.Two snipers, two hammer of dawns (with unlimited ammo), two frags and a torque. That's 7 power weapons so only one person is left out of the orgy. Bullet Marsh has two snipers, frags, torque (right next to each other), boomshot and another set of frags. There's nothing tactical about it. That's on top of the map without the improvements made to it in 3. I would say that Gears 3 is a much more tactical game centered around control of certain areas and power weapons while Gears 1 is more about getting kills with the power weapons. The devs kept saying Gears has improved throughout the series (ignoring Judgment) and I feel people kind of shrugged them off but this remaster has really proved it.

I would tell people that Gears 3 is better and people would say I had no idea what I was talking about. "Gears 1 was about pure gnasher gameplay, none of this retro/sawed off shit. It's Gears at it's most pure" but now I know those people were wrong and fools. Gears 1 is about killing people with boomshots, snipers, and frags that are handed out like candy to everyone on the map. Nothing tactical about it.

Vee_One

Has anyone had problems with the complete the game achievements unlocking? I finished it last night but they didn't pop. Got the achievement for killing RAAM but nothing else. I played solo start to finish with continues. Not sure what to do to fix it. I noticed in the cinematics some were locked but not sure why.

Montresor

Has anyone had problems with the complete the game achievements unlocking? I finished it last night but they didn't pop. Got the achievement for killing RAAM but nothing else. I played solo start to finish with continues. Not sure what to do to fix it. I noticed in the cinematics some were locked but not sure why.

You should be able to tell which chapters were beaten (and in what difficulty) by going to the chapter select screens. Maybe one of those chapters weren't registered as beaten. I remember encountering something similar in Gears of War 2 and 3, and just beating one of the old missing chapters would fix it.

Vee_One

You should be able to tell which chapters were beaten (and in what difficulty) by going to the chapter select screens. Maybe one of those chapters weren't registered as beaten. I remember encountering something similar in Gears of War 2 and 3, and just beating one of the old missing chapters would fix it.

That did it, cheers bud. Had to replay a chapter in act 3

shoreu

The other team is guaranteed them on several maps. Like a few mentioned below.

I mean take Rooftops for example. Probably the worst map in the series.Two snipers, two hammer of dawns (with unlimited ammo), two frags and a torque. That's 7 power weapons so only one person is left out of the orgy. Bullet Marsh has two snipers, frags, torque (right next to each other), boomshot and another set of frags. There's nothing tactical about it. That's on top of the map without the improvements made to it in 3. I would say that Gears 3 is a much more tactical game centered around control of certain areas and power weapons while Gears 1 is more about getting kills with the power weapons. The devs kept saying Gears has improved throughout the series (ignoring Judgment) and I feel people kind of shrugged them off but this remaster has really proved it.

I would tell people that Gears 3 is better and people would say I had no idea what I was talking about. "Gears 1 was about pure gnasher gameplay, none of this retro/sawed off shit. It's Gears at it's most pure" but now I know those people were wrong and fools. Gears 1 is about killing people with boomshots, snipers, and frags that are handed out like candy to everyone on the map. Nothing tactical about it.

It depends on the map more so. You get that pure shotgun play when you get a map like mansion or war machine. People don't mind sniper or torque now because they are beatable.

Gears of war 3 had far too many power weapons, the sawed off and the retro lancer. The game became more of a assault rifle focused game than on the shotgun (which had an extremely high skill cap in the first game).

Also with custom lobbies most of these weapons ended up gone and everyone played annex so they could kill each other for hours.

LUXURY

I hope they introduce some sort of mode where you just have a shotgun and lancer. The other weapons just annoy me. I find them stupid. I'd rather it just play as a standard run for kills instead of camping around for special weapons.

Top Bottom