• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition |OT| Welcome back to the army, soldier

Is there any way to see what chapters you completed with a co-op buddy? I hosted my entire campaign and I thought I had someone playing with me all the time but someone must of kicked themselves out just before a chapter finished or something so I didn't get the Dom achievement for completing the entire game with a co op buddy :(

But I can't for the life of me find out which chapters I have missed!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I hope they introduce some sort of mode where you just have a shotgun and lancer. The other weapons just annoy me. I find them stupid. I'd rather it just play as a standard run for kills instead of camping around for special weapons.
Are you suggesting removing the nub and smoke? Or are you suggesting empty maps with no power weapons?

Both of those seem pretty terrible...Special weapons add an incredible element to the game. Or you can just hunt for Raven Down games.
I would tell people that Gears 3 is better and people would say I had no idea what I was talking about. "Gears 1 was about pure gnasher gameplay, none of this retro/sawed off shit. It's Gears at it's most pure" but now I know those people were wrong and fools. Gears 1 is about killing people with boomshots, snipers, and frags that are handed out like candy to everyone on the map. Nothing tactical about it.
You took a couple bad maps and then applied it to the entirety of Gears 1. That doesn't seem right.

Man eff this campaign... I was really enjoying it too up until the point where you start having to fight guys with instant random torque bow kills. But God dam this gets super frustrating... I'm assuming I just beat the PC chapters and they were not very good because they kind of ruined the pace of the game. The game has been slowly ramping up its difficulty since the beginning and it was just on long frustrating chapter. The checkpoint design is awful (ie. Kill about 15 locusts and 3 theon guards and then randomly send out some boomers or some torque bow dudes to one shot you, time to start over)

Also trying to beat the brumak with nothing but a shotgun, Boltok pistol, and torque bow was dam near impossible.... I had to reboot the chapter so I could get a lancer but that's another example of poor level design. There should have been a weapon cache right before the boss.

I remember gears judgement campaing being a lot less frustrating but I can't remember 2 and 3 (I probably played those on easy).

After the first 2.5 chapters I'd have given this game a 9/10 but I'm thinking this is more of a 6/10 type game now... it's literally doing the opposite of what MCC did which made me crave more halo.

Multiplayer is still GOAT though.

Another thing to add to my list of improvements throughout the series: center screen aiming. I would like to have been in the meeting that decided on that bit of amazing game design ingenuity.

I think I'll do it small sort of write up on why I think Gears 3 was the best of the series even though it should be obvious just playing Gears 3 and then this one. I don't really buy the whole sawed/retro excuse. Don't get me wrong I love the game but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the flaws in the original and growth throughout the series.

Special C

Another thing to add to my list of improvements throughout the series: center screen aiming. I would like to have been in the meeting that decided on that bit of amazing game design ingenuity.

I think I'll do it small sort of write up on why I think Gears 3 was the best of the series even though it should be obvious just playing Gears 3 and then this one. I don't really buy the whole sawed/retro excuse. Don't get me wrong I love the game but that doesn't prevent me from seeing the flaws in the original and growth throughout the series.

Opinions. I think Gears UE is the best gears ever released followed by the original then GoW 3, and I played a whole lot of Gears 3.

Lothars

Opinions. I think Gears UE is the best gears ever released followed by the original then GoW 3, and I played a whole lot of Gears 3.
I think that's insane. Gears UE has shown to me that it has aged really poorly and I doesn't even come close to gears 3.

I've been stuck on Destiny and have barely touched this yet--hows the community doing so far? Hoping its still got a large player base--or have people bailed?

LUXURY

Are you suggesting removing the nub and smoke? Or are you suggesting empty maps with no power weapons?

Both of those seem pretty terrible...Special weapons add an incredible element to the game. Or you can just hunt for Raven Down games.

You took a couple bad maps and then applied it to the entirety of Gears 1. That doesn't seem right.

I am asking for empty maps. Special weapons to me, add nothing to the game. I find it much more fun to actually hunt your enemy out and get into an up close battle. Not run and hide with a sniper rifle or blow people away with a rocket launcher or bow.

ManUtd78

Neo Member
For me I liked the beta but really struggled online with the final game I'm in the UK running 152mb UL/12mb DL and my shotgun cannot hit anything even centrally like the original gears which I've been playing in preview and back to be ahead of my kills. But since release I'm useless.

Waiting for Gears 3 to comeback through the 360 emulator to see if I'm that bad as I was level 100 infinite and pretty good not making but could,hold my own. It's like sometimes I shoot in slow motion and the wall bouncing is to fast for my screen

Ballistik

Well I am really enjoying the game, even with all the power weapons laying around. I don't really pick up power weapons much aside from the longshot, even then, it doesn't compare to the almighty gnasher.

How are your weapon stats looking?
Copy and pasting from stats page:

BOOMSHOT KILLS 138
TORQUE BOW KILLS 177
SNUB PISTOL KILLS 143
LONGSHOT KILLS 518
HAMMER OF DAWN KILLS 63
GRENADE KILLS 331
GNASHER SHOTGUN KILLS 4609
BOLTOK PISTOL KILLS 9
LANCER KILLS 159
HAMMER BURST KILLS 10
LONGSHOT ACTIVE RELOAD KILLS 2
GNASHER SHOTGUN GIB KILLS 1907
MELEE KILLS 213
GRENADE TAG KILLS 15
CHAINSAW KILLS 20
CURB STOMP KILLS 121

TaterTots

Banned
I caved and bought the Gears bundle. Man, I've missed Gears. To those saying Gears 3 is better; in some aspects it is, but the sawed off and weak maps held it back for me. I wish Gears 2 had dedicated servers. It would of been great.

I feel like I'm being too mean when I call out Gears 1. I really love the game but I feel it has been misrepresented by people (in my circle IRL) claiming it's the best. When I get off of work I'm going to upload a really awesome game I had on Tyro station plus some other nice moves. A classic montage.

I got the auto-upload to trigger like 3 times but I also kept saving the videos manually so it's a bit choppy between segments but it's all one killfest for the Tyro Station segment. I need to lengthen the DVR time so I can get smoother video out of longer sessions.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Got the digital code with my XBO and I'm anxious to get started. The game is taking a long time to install though. I'm at 2% fifteen minutes in. Does it usually take this long?

Here it is

I put a bunch of the clips I had laying around in the front but it's the Tyro segment at the end that was really fun. Also I just had a nice clutch where the guy was taunting me and I got back up and killed him and then the rest of the team to win it. God I love Gears.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
So my roommate told we have 30 Mbps connection and I'm at 15% downloaded after 4 hours or so. Wasn't sure until I asked but it shouldn't be taking this long. This is ridiculous. I'm able to launch the game and see the menu but can't play single player let alone multiplayer.

Anything I can do to speed up the process?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I hope they introduce some sort of mode where you just have a shotgun and lancer. The other weapons just annoy me. I find them stupid. I'd rather it just play as a standard run for kills instead of camping around for special weapons.

I..... what?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
No one? This is fucking ridiculous. I'll be playing the game 3 days from now at this pace despite having decent internet.

Bread

Banned
So my roommate told we have 30 Mbps connection and I'm at 15% downloaded after 4 hours or so. Wasn't sure until I asked but it shouldn't be taking this long. This is ridiculous. I'm able to launch the game and see the menu but can't play single player let alone multiplayer.

Anything I can do to speed up the process?
You can prioritize the SP or MP from the menu, my MP started working around 50% when I prioritized it.

Oh my god. These guys were trolling me, t-bagging and shit, when they downed me as the last man standing. The dumbass let's me back up, misses the shot, and I bounce around him kill him and kill his friend with the sniper to win the game. This was after I destroyed the rest of the team as the last man. I played like shit the next game because I was still coming off that high.

Forgot I had this clip from earlier this week until a buddy commented and liked it. Turned on a fool trying to wait me out.

Haha, that would be great! I'm usually pretty average though, my kd ratio as too is 0.69 and my win loss ratio is 0.71.

No worries about that. My kill/death is .99. I'm not too good at that.

But I know how to win. 2.04.

I'll be on for an hour or two now and can definitely play most of tomorrow if you're up for it.

it is just him.

It would be about control if there were actually limited amounts of them but there's not. It's why certain maps work and other's don't. The only power weapon I don't really like is the Boomshot since it has a pretty low skill cap compared to every other weapon. I think the digger does the same thing while maintaining the skill level that we love. Maybe I just really hate the Boomshot.

Forgot I had this clip from earlier this week until a buddy commented and liked it. Turned on a fool trying to wait me out.

No worries about that. My kill/death is .99. I'm not too good at that.

But I know how to win. 2.04.

I'll be on for an hour or two now and can definitely play most of tomorrow if you're up for it.

Lol, I'm surprised that first guy didn't die faster. You had some really nice shots on him.

Angel_DvA

My multiplayer stats, all in ranked, I will stop playing the game though, too much issues, not as fun as Gears 3, I'll wait for Gears 3 with BC or Gears 4, coalition is disappointing because they lie about their patch Day One that never happened and really could improve the game overall...

fc7c980c121959982ca02cdcd85216a9.png

TaterTots

Banned
30 isn't decent Internet though. I have 240 down and the game downloaded pretty quickly for me

Controlling power weapons is a huge core part of the game. People really don't like it?

30 down is good and more than adequate to play online. I always thought 100 down was overkill. No idea why I would need such speeds lol. Isn't the upload speed/packet loss more important for multiplayer anyway? I only have 10 up and I have no issues.

Also, I don't get the gripes about power weapons either. The battle over power weapons can sway a match and brings excitement. It's always been that way for Gears.

TaterTots

Banned
Did any of you tweak the zoom sensitivity/etc? I found the default setting to be painfully slow. I've been doing much better since I adjusted.

Did any of you tweak the zoom sensitivity/etc? I found the default setting to be painfully slow. I've been doing much better since I adjusted.

Yeah I bumped mine to max except for sniper zoom. I like that steadiness.

Has anyone found a difference between social and ranked? A few weeks ago I was doing too good in Social so I went to ranked and it was just the same so I just do social because it's faster. I did Execution but then I was reminded of why I don't like it. You spend more time waiting in between rounds than the rounds last (if you're good/really bad). I like the ebb and flow of a Gears-style TDM. A clutch on a TDM match when the enemy still has respawns left feels much better too.

Like this one I did yesterday

I hate classic TDM that just goes up to a point value though. The Gears twists added to these game modes really make the difference.

Montresor

Alright I think I give up on the "Win on every map" achievement. I only need War Machine, Gridlock, and Boxes. I luckily got on an incredibly good team, and we won 9 straight matches, but in those 9 matches I didn't come across Gridlock or War Machine once - and that includes two map skips. So 11 maps and no War Machine or Gridlock. That was annoying. Then our team disbanded.

I'll go for only one more achievement - reach level 25, and then I'll go full into Halo MCC. Once I reach level 25 I'll have 1030/1250 gamerscore - I'm very happy with that.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Loading/download time sped up and I finally have Gears on my Xbox One. I'll get a physical copy to add to the collection when it's cheaper.

I jumped into single player to get ahold of the controls but ended up playing co-op with a random. Good damn the memories flooded back. When into multiplayer after a little bit of single player and I got a long way to git gud again. I'll never reach my peak skill level from 2007 though. Kind of wish they kept just the original maps from the first one instead of adding a few from GoW2 and 3 but they picked some of the good ones like Fuel Depot.

GT: ProfessorK516

Calmine

It's getting ridiculous sometimes. The connection is so iffy and shots not even registering and randomly getting headshot death from distance is so annoying. Where is the patch?

Top Bottom