• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director' Cut - Reviews

kyliethicc

Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut is out tomorrow on PS4 and PS5.

Reviews are very positive.

Open Critic score - 88
Metacritic score - 88

Here are some scored reviews:
IGN - 80
GameSpot - 80
God is a Geek - 95
Destructoid - 90
Gaming Bolt - 90
Push Square - 90
VGC - 80
PlayStation Lifestyle - 90
Press Start - 90
Hardcore Gamer - 90

And some unscored reviews:
Skill Up - Recommended
ACG - Buy
Game Informer - Recommended
Eurogamer - Recommended
Games Radar - Recommended
Washington Post - Recommended

Some written review links:

Some video review links:

And some gifs.

Jin Ok GIF by PlayStation

Happy Dance GIF by PlayStation

Thumb Up Ok GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Ghost of Tsushima patch is out today, version 2.04
- 17 GB download
- changes the key art to the new cover
- adds new control schemes
- adds camera lock on in the options
- and various other stuff

Then you can download the Iki Island DLC
- its an extra 7 GB download
- called "Bonus Content"
- has the countdown timer on it for tonight's launch

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm glad the expansion seems more succint, people are saying 12-15 hours so that means 25-30 for me probably and thats more than enough. I got burnt out on the base game and still want to finish the whole 3rd act before starting this.

Awesome. Looking forward to replaying this. Weird that I can’t buy and install the ps5 version yet…i know it’s available from tomorrow onwards but why??

JoeBudden

At least it's getting the praise it deserves. 83 Meta last year was too low and unfair for the GOAT. It's a 90+ game and an unforgettable experience.

Salty haters like to say Sony buys reviews but I actually think reviewers are more harsh with them.

This was one of those games, where there was a big disconnect between gamers and critics.

If you're a critic, you've probably played a million games that shared a lot of the same mechanics from Ghost of Tsushima, and therefore, scored the game lower someone who only plays a couple open world games here or there every couple years.

I find that critics are often burnt out due to the amount of games being released these days, and often times 'over-value' originality. They'll overlook quality and substance if there isn't anything truly unique about a game. That's also why a lot of these critics' personal favourite games lists always include tons of weird indies.

JoeBudden

I went through a few of these reviews, and it looks like the only "cons" with the Iki Island content is that its "more of the same" and its "too hard".

The whole point of an expansion is to provide FANS of the base game with "more of the same" content they loved. It's an extension to the base game. Fans of the base game game are typically also masters of the mechanics in the game, versus a journalist or critic who is simply looking to rush through the new content so they can quickly post a review when embargo lifts. The difficulty needs to be catered to people who will pay for the expansion. And, there's a reason why the expansion can only be accessed half-way into the base game.

Seems like a really unfair criticism.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This was one of those games, where there was a big disconnect between gamers and critics.

If you're a critic, you've probably played a million games that shared a lot of the same mechanics from Ghost of Tsushima, and therefore, scored the game lower someone who only plays a couple open world games here or there every couple years.

I find that critics are often burnt out due to the amount of games being released these days, and often times 'over-value' originality. They'll overlook quality and substance if there isn't anything truly unique about a game. That's also why a lot of these critics' personal favourite games lists always include tons of weird indies.

I started noticing this too about 1-2 years ago. It's why Days Gone was reviewed slightly harder than it should have been.

JoeBudden

I started noticing this too about 1-2 years ago. It's why Days Gone was reviewed slightly harder than it should have been.

Days Gone definitely deserved some slander when it released with so many bugs that interfered with gameplay. The game is night vs day when you compare launch version with the version with the PS5 patch today.

But, man, you could tell most of those reviewers never actually beat the game before reviewing it lol. There's a nasty 10 hours of boredom before the story and game gets good, and none of the reviewers mentioned this sudden improvement in quality half way into the game.

At least it's getting the praise it deserves. 83 Meta last year was too low and unfair for the GOAT. It's a 90+ game and an unforgettable experience.

Salty haters like to say Sony buys reviews but I actually think reviewers are more harsh with them.
That's right. When a creator gets you used to excellence, you always expect them to bring their A game all the time. We get more critical, if the bar was set high you don't expect less the next time, and your critique is influenced by that.

Many people won't see it from that perspective, but for a hardcore gamer or game reviewer that is the case. And people in general should take notice of this, many times these reviewers tend to be more demanding and less forgiving with some studios more than others.

Some may say sometimes is the other way around, that reviewers get biased for certain developers who they count among their favorites and can't see them do nothing wrong. That happens too, obviously, but I consider critically acclaimed games, very hyped games, those are the most reviewed games of all, and the overly critical versus the forgiving even out at the end.

Last edited:

Agent X

Not really a review but interesting none the less

"No cloud transfers required - it just works."

That's very interesting. I remember that when the PlayStation 5 was released, a few developers working on cross-generation games had some gripes about the inability to directly load saved data generated by the PS4 version of the game into the PS5 version. Dirt 5 and Maneater are a couple of specific games that come to mind.

It is good that Sony updated their system software to allow for this process. Obviously, this should be an easy task for games that are in development now and in the future. Older games will have to be patched in order to gain this ability. I hope that the developers of those early PS5 games will take note of this, and update their games accordingly.

The full sequel is going to be a massive game commercially... I hope we go to somewhere very interesting with some more built up areas and exciting historical happenings.

Ninja style gameplay in a city or large town could be very different too....

i hope they add more interesting side content

I wouldn’t mind some tomb raider or Zelda touches with things like puzzles for shrines and double down on exploration abilities

sircaw

Banned
The full sequel is going to be a massive game commercially... I hope we go to somewhere very interesting with some more built up areas and exciting historical happenings.

Ninja style gameplay in a city or large town could be very different too....
Just tell me this, how the hell are they going to improve on the loading times in the sequel.

Come on, tell me, i am waiting "lollipop_disappointed: :messenger_heart:

Bryank75

Banned
i hope they add more interesting side content

I wouldn’t mind some tomb raider or Zelda touches with things like puzzles for shrines and double down on exploration abilities

100% and they need fishing...how do they not have fishing on an island in Japan?

Gambling and drinking sake.

just a load of things to do... like RDR had all those things with gambling and five finger filet etc.

Kuranghi

you're going to love the 3rd act

Ohhh nice, ta, thats some good hyping.

Will wait til I can get the PS5 graphics upgrade tonight/tomorrow since I have the PS4 base version. DF (well John anyway) seemed down on the upgrade quality but the clarity increase with the extra resolution in the PS5 version looked pretty meaningful to me even when seen through a youtube video.

JoeBudden

Will wait til I can get the PS5 graphics upgrade tonight/tomorrow since I have the PS4 base version. DF (well John anyway) seemed down on the upgrade quality but the clarity increase with the extra resolution in the PS5 version looked pretty meaningful to me even when seen through a youtube video.

You won't get to instantly claim a second platinum trophy if you immediately switch over, and this game has a very easy and fun platinum.

Might be something to consider if the PS5 upgrades are minimal, because the 60 FPS patch from last year is already amazing imo.

kyliethicc

On PS4 its 1080p @ 30 Hz.
On PS4 Pro its checkerboard 1800p @ 30 Hz.

On PS5, the PS4 version is checkerboard 1800p @ 60 Hz.
And the PS5 version is checkerboard 2160p @ 60 Hz.

Kuranghi

On PS4 its 1080p @ 30 Hz.
On PS4 Pro its checkerboard 1800p @ 30 Hz.

On PS5, the PS4 version is checkerboard 1800p @ 60 Hz.
And the PS5 version is checkerboard 2160p @ 60 Hz.

Yeah I know I watched the DF video but ta anyway, I love me some extra p's, I'll take all the p's I can get!

If I close my eyes I can hear the mongolian war drums drawing me back to the game:

tumblr_mra1h9R4cp1rkflroo1_500.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom