• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director' Cut - Reviews

Sounds very fast..
From the IGN review:

It took me eight hours or so to get through the main storyline of Iki Island, even while taking my time and doing a healthy amount of exploration and outpost clearing to expose the map. I’ve since put in another four or five hours to clear out all the landmarks, and at this point I feel like I’ve generally experienced everything substantial this DLC has to offer, making it a small but relatively dense package.

3 hours sound like someone would rush through the story ignoring all extra things just to get to the end, while playing on Easy. Why anyone would buy a game or an Expansion to do just that I can't make sense of.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

hope not, thats like insanely short lol

Thats for the main quest missions only, someone on this site said it took them 12-15 hours for the side stuff, but I don't know if that includes everything and they were playing it for review so presumably didn't take their time, I'd wager most people will take close to 20 hours to do it all.

Prob 30 hours for me since I'm a slow poke, I look at everything for ages usually. Even if its 12 hours for me thats fine too though, I've already spent 60+ hours on the base game and I'm only just starting the final section after taking a break to wait for the PS5 version.

Magnific0giganticus Magnific0giganticus sums it up, I guess thats two data points saying its 15 hours. I still expect "taking my time" doesn't equal a leisure playthrough in how I would mean it, I really try to analyse the vistas and beautiful scenes when I play rather than just glance at it for 10 seconds and move on.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
From the IGN review:

It took me eight hours or so to get through the main storyline of Iki Island, even while taking my time and doing a healthy amount of exploration and outpost clearing to expose the map. I’ve since put in another four or five hours to clear out all the landmarks, and at this point I feel like I’ve generally experienced everything substantial this DLC has to offer, making it a small but relatively dense package.

3 hours sound like someone would rush through the story ignoring all extra things just to get to the end, while playing on Easy. Why anyone would buy a game or an Expansion to do just that I can't make sense of.
Shoulda known, that Skillup is a right nob...

It didn't sound anything near the length of any of the islands

Glad it's over 10 hours... maybe even 15 for some.

sojuwarrior

He also said its gonna be about 5-10 hours for most people.

The 3 hours was just for only the main quests if you went through them fast.

He said there was at least 2-3 hours of side quests on top of the roughly 3 hour main story. Plus hours more to do after that.
ppl say the dlc is around the length of the first arc of the main game tho... and for that no matter how fast you go through the first arc, it wouldnt be finished in 3 hours.
unless this guy skips all the cutscenes and dialogues lol

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out the first 10 minutes of Ghost of Tsushima Director's cut on the PS5 in 4K. We take on a group of mongels who are being controlled by a shaman. In doing so we find out why we must head to Iki Island.

He’s been there once before. And in confronting a new and dangerous enemy, he will be forced to face old fears, and unearth deeply buried traumas. As you explore a new island and battle new threats, you’ll also delve into the dark past of clan Sakai.

Last edited:

Yoboman

If they did a sequel, I doubt they'd care about using real world events. Just make up a new adventure for Jin.
I dont think a sequel needs to be tied to Jin. It should be more like Assassins Creed with a new protagonist each game

And I think they showed a lot of dedication to authenticity in the first game so I would expect they continue to tie the game stories to real world events

Bryank75

Banned
I dont think a sequel needs to be tied to Jin. It should be more like Assassins Creed with a new protagonist each game

And I think they showed a lot of dedication to authenticity in the first game so I would expect they continue to tie the game stories to real world events

They could jump down history, like they did with AC2 and then fill in the history between with story and how Jin passed on the techniques and knowledge.

There's many approaches they could take. Very excited for the possibilities.

Yoboman

They could jump down history, like they did with AC2 and then fill in the history between with story and how Jin passed on the techniques and knowledge.

There's many approaches they could take. Very excited for the possibilities.
I think before the Mongol invasions Japan was in a bit of a golden age for a few hundred years without much war. And before that period Japan was a lot less advanced and more of a hunter gatherer society. Its the hundreds of years after that which have a lot going on

kyliethicc

They'll stick with Jin. Ghost will be like Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Spider-man, etc. Same core protagonist for like 3 or 4 games.

Its easy marketing and makes the writing easier too. They'll turn Ghost into a franchise, Jin is getting his own movie.

Like this shit basically

Ghost of Tsushima 1 - slowly become "The Ghost" from a Samurai
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - be the badass Ghost from the jump
Ghost of Tsushima 3 - help teach a new Ghost successor (or something)

Yuna could get her own standalone spinoff game tho. Definitely possible. (Like Chloe, Fetch, & Miles.)

Last edited:

Yoboman

They'll stick with Jin. Ghost will be like Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Spider-man, etc. Same core protagonist for like 3 or 4 games.

Its easy marketing and makes the writing easier too. They'll turn Ghost into a franchise, Jin is getting his own movie.

Like this shit basically

Ghost of Tsushima 1 - slowly become "The Ghost" from a Samurai
Ghost of Tsushima 2 - be the badass Ghost from the jump
Ghost of Tsushima 3 - help teach a new Ghost successor (or something)

Yuna could get her own standalone spinoff game tho. Definitely possible. (Like Chloe, Fetch, & Miles.)
Well I hope not

Jin isn't that interesting and how they manage the setting and scenarios will be more interesting than having Jin which will contain it to like a 10-20 year time frame at most

They could keep it within his family though

kyliethicc

V58EDNG.jpg

Elios83

Just started playing with the Iki Island DLC and upgraded to the PS5 version.
Things I love are the haptic feedback and the fact they have added tons of quick travel points with almost instant loadings and you can replay duels and stuff you previously did.
3D audio also sounds great and the CB solution is so good that it looks like native 4K, they also improved all the particles effects like sparks around fire.

Btw talking about reviews you know a game is great when after a year your metacritic goes up (83 vs 88). Usually it's the opposite because people are less suprised and tend to be more focused on the shortcomings. I suspect that something similar might happen to Death Stranding.

HotPocket69

Banned
I do love DualSense implementation in games and no surprise it’s fantastic in GOT (the feel of the hooves hitting the ground as your sprinting around on horseback is 👌🏼) but man dude the drain on the battery fucking blows.

Bartski

Gold Member
Been playing non-stop with a sleep break since it's out and it's just brilliant.

No coming back from 3D audio. Runs perfectly on PS5, dual sense rocks. Doesn't look any better tho and sadly pop in and LOD fading just as present as on PS4 but other than that visually it's amazing.

Iki might seem smaller than expected looking at the map at first but it's very vertical and has its own very distinct vibe that is a joy to explore. Many new location types, some I haven't figured out yet.

Worth pointing out I'm getting my ass kicked on lethal+ with all maxed-out endgame gear which is a nice surprise, new Mongols hit hard and really push you to make the most sword stances.

Just got the new armor that has some awesome combat mechanics changing properties and I'm loving it. What a game!

Mozzarella

How well does this DLC/Expansion stack against the gold standards? (e.g: Shivering Isles, Old Hunter, Blood and Wine, War of the Chosen, Ringed City, Frozen Throne, LoD, Dragonborn..etc etc..)

nowhat

Holy christ thats insane. Took me more than double and I didn't even daly much. I mean I explored and did side stuff but the cutscenes I think when I timed them are a total of like 35-45 minutes all by themselves
So in your opinion, same ballpark as Frozen Wilds WRT length?

(started again from scratch just for fun, so it'll take a little while for me to get to Iki)

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't believe they still don't subtitle ambient chatter from Jin or random NPC's.

I'm playing on Japanese VA and English subtitles, but there are never subtitles for random conversations between villagers. Sometimes Jin even responds or talks to his horse but I never know what anyone says.

Such a weird omission.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So if i have the ps4 disc version and i want both the ikki espansion and the ps5 upgrade, what i have to do? in the psn only shows the 20 euros expansion for ps4 but not the 30 euros package.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So in your opinion, same ballpark as Frozen Wilds WRT length?

(started again from scratch just for fun, so it'll take a little while for me to get to Iki)
frozen wild on ultra hard was around 20 hours for me, but i did everything you could do in that expansion (and i died a lot because horizon on ultra hard is vastly more difficult than tsushima, so there is that).

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
So if i have the ps4 disc version and i want both the ikki espansion and the ps5 upgrade, what i have to do? in the psn only shows the 20 euros expansion for ps4 but not the 30 euros package.

I bought it through the PS5 game menu. If you have the game installed on your PS5 it has a window on the home screen that lets you upgrade.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I bought it through the PS5 game menu. If you have the game installed on your PS5 it has a window on the home screen that lets you upgrade.
I usually buy everything on the psn from the web browser on my pc because i need to put some paypal money on the digital wallet, but i guess that i need to do this shit from the console for this one.

edit: lol of course paypal is not working now...

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No coming back from 3D audio. Runs perfectly on PS5, dual sense rocks.

Iki might seem smaller than expected looking at the map at first but it's very vertical and has its own very distinct vibe
About 3D audio, are you using headphones? I have a soundbar + 2 satellite speakers and I'm wondering if I can 'trick' the system into giving me 3D Audio if I choose TV speakers in the options? 3D Audio is only available on TV speakers or Headphones. It's disabled if I choose Soundbar or Home Cinema so I don't know what is best.

The PS5 upgrade is amazing. The image quality is so clean it's like next-gen. I feel sorry for the little activists that don't want to pay 10 bucks on a 50+ hours masterpiece. The package is totally worth full price.

SJRB

Gold Member
My favourite mission is the one where you follow footsteps or some person to a place and then kill a bunch of guys and talk to someone.

First time replaying this since PS4 launch and I'm noticing the mission design is brutal. This is not designed to play quests back to back. I spent a lot more time freeroaming during my previous playthrough so I didn't really notice, but oof.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
About 3D audio, are you using headphones? I have a soundbar + 2 satellite speakers and I'm wondering if I can 'trick' the system into giving me 3D Audio if I choose TV speakers in the options? 3D Audio is only available on TV speakers or Headphones. It's disabled if I choose Soundbar or Home Cinema so I don't know what is best.
honestly no idea. I'm on Pulse3D, they do the job. I think you'd need a rear L&R pair for full effect

Yoboman

I can't believe they still don't subtitle ambient chatter from Jin or random NPC's.

I'm playing on Japanese VA and English subtitles, but there are never subtitles for random conversations between villagers. Sometimes Jin even responds or talks to his horse but I never know what anyone says.

Such a weird omission.
Seriously?

Massive deal breaker I can't believe this isn't addressed

I want to play this in Japanese but it frustrates me to no end that I am missing out on so much dialogue because they half assed the subtitles

Also just generally seems like a massive oversight for people who have hearing issues not to have subtitles in so much of the game

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
My favourite mission is the one where you follow footsteps or some person to a place and then kill a bunch of guys and talk to someone.

First time replaying this since PS4 launch and I'm noticing the mission design is brutal. This is not designed to play quests back to back. I spent a lot more time freeroaming during my previous playthrough so I didn't really notice, but oof.

I didn't notice the footstep stuff overused too much. It didn't seem repetitive to me at all.

Witcher had a load of it too, the trail / Witcher vision thing...... so I don't get why some people criticize GOT so much for it.

All I wish is that he used more tracking methods, like broken branches, grass trampled and brushed in a certain direction etc.

yurinka

I want a sequel with Jin going to another island, getting a master and becoming a ninja and stop a bigger, more epic mongol invasion. It's important for an IP to have an iconic character and isn't easy to find one. Jin is iconic, they should stick to him.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I didn't notice the footstep stuff overused too much. It didn't seem repetitive to me at all.

Witcher had a load of it too, the trail / Witcher vision thing...... so I don't get why some people criticize GOT so much for it.

All I wish is that he used more tracking methods, like broken branches, grass trampled and brushed in a certain direction etc.

Witcher 3 is six years old. Saying this is the same as it was in Witcher kinda proves my point and your suggestion about more immersive tracking methods proves my point as well. The mission design often is the absolute bare minimum and there is a TON of room for improvement in a sequel.

It is peanuts in the grande scheme of things because pretty much everything else eclipses this poor design: visuals, gameplay, music, voice acting, atmosphere, unlockables, pretty much everything else in the game is S-tier.

Last edited:

Hugare

The main selling point, for me, was the japanese lip synch

Be warned: its fucked

Every cutscene not only plays at 30 fps, making the experience jarring as fuck, but it also doesnt have japanese lip synch, only during gameplay

So you dont have lip synch during the most important and emotional parts of the story, basicaly. Just great.

Oh well, at least it looks maginaly better and feels great with haptics

Kerotan

Are there any new trophies for the regular game? I presume there's a separate folder with trophies for the dlc too?

Shakka43

Are there any new trophies for the regular game? I presume there's a separate folder with trophies for the dlc too?
No, I got 100% main game trophies right away as I started the the game from my NG+ save. The new trophies are just for the new island story.

Top Bottom