• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director' Cut - Reviews

Bartski

Gold Member
Simply GREAT expansion, worth every penny. And the best part of it isn't even out yet!

KPjJ0zn.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
The magic of the ssd and armours previews still take 2-3 sec to appear, smh.

Loading times are not always super short, it depends on the location or something else, sometimes they are 1 sec fast sometimes you still see the white page with the tips and it's more 3-4 sec long.

Also cutscenes are now 30 frames in a more poweful console just to have real time cutscenes to make the japanese lip sync that still look far from perfect, lmao.

This must be the laziest ps5 upgrade ever, holy shit :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
The magic of the ssd and armours previews still take 2-3 sec to appear, smh.

Loading times are not always super short, it depends on the location or something else, sometimes they are 1 sec fast sometimes you still see the white page with the tips and it's more 3-4 sec long.

Also cutscenes are now 30 frames in a more poweful console just to have real time cutscenes to make the japanese lip sync that still look far from perfect, lmao.

This must be the laziest ps5 upgrade ever, holy shit :lollipop_squinting:

Yeah I am not super happy with this paid upgrade either.

When I saw the armors still take multiple seconds to load PER SET my mind was just blown. This happens both in the game menu and in vendor menus. This was a huge annoyance with the PS4 version and the performance is identical on the PS5. Just how in the hell is that even possible? Something seems wrong here.

The Japanese lip synch is also pretty bad. It's definitely noticeable that something is off. If full Japanese lip synch is one of your main selling points for a paid upgrade, you better make sure it's good and at this point it definitely isn't.

I won't slam game loading times taking 3 seconds instead of 1 because the load times overall are still lightspeed fast, but oof some sub par stuff in this upgrade for sure.

Last edited:

yurinka

To the ones who played it, how long did it take to you the main story and to complete everyhting?

Simply GREAT expansion, worth every penny. And the best part of it isn't even out yet!
Nice, how long did it take to complete everything?

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
To the ones who played it, how long did it take to you the main story and to complete everyhting?

Nice, how long did it take to complete everything?
Hard to say… Around 20hrs but I played plenty of mainland in between owning camps with the new Iki gear and figured almost all secret stuff on my own. The main story is shorter than I expected having so much of the island stil undiscovered after the last big fight, but there is a lot of optional serious mountain climbing down south for good reward

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
From the IGN review:

It took me eight hours or so to get through the main storyline of Iki Island, even while taking my time and doing a healthy amount of exploration and outpost clearing to expose the map. I’ve since put in another four or five hours to clear out all the landmarks, and at this point I feel like I’ve generally experienced everything substantial this DLC has to offer, making it a small but relatively dense package.

3 hours sound like someone would rush through the story ignoring all extra things just to get to the end, while playing on Easy. Why anyone would buy a game or an Expansion to do just that I can't make sense of.

SkillUp is rapidly becoming tiresome. He's starting to sound less like a more articulate gamer and instead like a gatekeeper of what YOU should be playing. ACG is fast become the only reviewer outside the mainstream that you can count on to actually "do the fucking work. . ." in regards to getting into a game and measuring the entire package. Three hours for a DLC of this size is a joke.

I won't slam game loading times taking 3 seconds instead of 1 because the load times overall are still lightspeed fast, but oof some sub par stuff in this upgrade for sure.

I don't really remember loading times from last year, but looking at the DF video they've gone from 40 seconds to like three or four seconds tops. It seems like if you travel to a village that's going to take the most time; fast traveling to Survivor Camps are as instant as they can be without it be jarring.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Ghost Of Tsushima Director’s Cut gives us a native PS5 version, with new upgrades to take advantage of the hardware. But is it enough to make the upgrade?

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut is now out, bringing a proper next generation version of Sucker Punch’s open world samurai adventure to the PlayStation 5. This is pretty fascinating as the game already received a PS5 patch last year which let it tap into the extra horsepower of the system. So you might be wondering what a proper PS5 version brings to the table? While it’s still largely the same game there’s a number of improvements that make Ghost of Tsushima Director’s cut the definitive version.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Man whoever is responsible for the entire Haiku mini "game" deserves the biggest raise possible. A year later and I still get chills every time, it's such a wholesome experience.

Absolutely genius that you can compose them yourself too. And that music, ooof..

This, the duels and painterly look of the world are definitely the high points of the game for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

I am impressed at how loading-times-less this game is now. They were not bad before, but now 🤯. There are many little quality of life improvements (lock-on feature, basically no loading screens anywhere, improved resolution, haptics and dynamic triggers [the latter needs some tweaking, but the former is really well done], ability to easily replay missions, etc…) that have not been mentioned on top of the expansion. Considering the time it took (1 year), I am happy about the upgrade overall.

Last edited:

rolandss

So, is the Japanese lip sync bugged? It's still really bad. I speak Japanese and it does not look natural or match what they are saying at all. Very disappointed. Unless it's bugged, then I'm cool as long as they patch ASAP.
I don’t think it was mo capped like the English lip sync would have been so it looks a little jank. I speak a little and my partner is Japanese and she mentioned it looks a bit funny too.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Question - I have the digital PS4 version of the main game which I play on my PS5. What’s the cheapest and easiest way to play the new content?

I don’t necessarily care about the PS5 version “upgrades”, I was pretty happy with the PS4 game running in BC mode.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Question - I have the digital PS4 version of the main game which I play on my PS5. What’s the cheapest and easiest way to play the new content?

I don’t necessarily care about the PS5 version “upgrades”, I was pretty happy with the PS4 game running in BC mode.
It would be the PS4 version director cut upgrade £14.99/$19.99.

Man, I still can't get over how gorgeous this game is. I'm absolutely loving the new DLC so far. Feels like more of what I loved about the base game with some nice additions:
  • Lush environments with a beautiful color palette. The art direction is just as strong as ever and Iki island might actually be my favorite area.
  • New enemy types! Combat was always a lot of fun in the base game, but the lack of enemy variety was one of its biggest flaws. The shaman types, dual spear brutes, and multi-weapon enemies add some flavor to the mix.
  • Flute mini game is pretty chill. Definitely lets me appreciate the somber, yet beautiful atmosphere of the game.
  • Dialog choices in the middle of a conversation. I've only encountered it during the "Ghost of Iki" quest, but this was a welcome surprise!
  • Archery mini game is also a nice little challenge. I'm a sucker for these type of mini games so it's cool to see Sucker Punch adding some stuff just for the "fun" factor.
  • New Mythic quests! These were my favorite aspect of the base game so I'm always down for more
I'm a little disappointed by how bare the PS5 upgrades are, but I love this game to death so whatever 🤷‍♀️ I was honestly hoping they would bump up the LOD and maybe some lighting tweaks. I wonder if they could add a "cinematic" mode that uses the real-time cutscene graphic fidelity for 30fps?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There aren’t huge differences anyway, right? Isn’t the PS5 version just slightly higher resolution? Don’t really care about the Dualsense functionality
From PS4’s GoT DC in BC mode on PS5 to the native version I think the biggest changes are resolution (not a small bump to be fair, but not as big as the one PS4 Pro enabled over 1080p), some better textures here and there, likely less to no framerate dip (all open world games have corner cases), and much much much improved loading times (on character death, on initial loading, on fast travel, etc…).

That is on top of DualSense features which, at least haptics aside, elevate the connection between user and gameplay quite a bit. Running around with your horse, which you do quite a bit, is a small but very welcome QoL improvement for me.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Man, I still can't get over how gorgeous this game is. I'm absolutely loving the new DLC so far. Feels like more of what I loved about the base game with some nice additions:
  • Lush environments with a beautiful color palette. The art direction is just as strong as ever and Iki island might actually be my favorite area.
  • New enemy types! Combat was always a lot of fun in the base game, but the lack of enemy variety was one of its biggest flaws. The shaman types, dual spear brutes, and multi-weapon enemies add some flavor to the mix.
  • Flute mini game is pretty chill. Definitely lets me appreciate the somber, yet beautiful atmosphere of the game.
  • Dialog choices in the middle of a conversation. I've only encountered it during the "Ghost of Iki" quest, but this was a welcome surprise!
  • Archery mini game is also a nice little challenge. I'm a sucker for these type of mini games so it's cool to see Sucker Punch adding some stuff just for the "fun" factor.
  • New Mythic quests! These were my favorite aspect of the base game so I'm always down for more
I'm a little disappointed by how bare the PS5 upgrades are, but I love this game to death so whatever 🤷‍♀️ I was honestly hoping they would bump up the LOD and maybe some lighting tweaks. I wonder if they could add a "cinematic" mode that uses the real-time cutscene graphic fidelity for 30fps?
They could have done more, maybe further patches, but I think overall they are using the HW nicely (resolution receives a nice boost, some textures are improved, DualSense is integrated well, and loading times are no more essentially).

I think with the time they had to work on it all and being a big open world game they might have not had much time to do further draw distance improvements and other tweaks without risking framerate corner cases that would have been a bit embarrassing. Maybe a future patch will bump up the draw distance a bit, but given how hard this game must be tailored to the base PS4 to run so well on that there might be quite a bit of work to take advantage of PS5.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
One of the biggest story plots of the DLC about
being poisoned by the main antagonist and getting hallucinations / visions
is so uninspiring and annoying. I always hated that in
Far Cry
games and skipped through those parts as soon as possible (or avoided them when they were optional).

Celcius

°Temp. member
One of the biggest story plots of the DLC about
being poisoned by the main antagonist and getting hallucinations / visions
is so uninspiring and annoying. I always hated that in
Far Cry
games and skipped through those parts as soon as possible (or avoided them when they were optional).
I thought it was interesting, but I haven't played other games that have done this

Add totally brain dead AI to that and you get 88 meta... somehow

The game basically got praise from aesthetic alone. I see cut corners everywhere. All the cutscenes are basically talking, the ones that aint they make pitch black. Facial animation is the worst I seen on any exclusive. This is some days gone, Samurai Edition.

This is so wack. I expected waves crushing into rocks. So anti-climatic. Instead, we get some PS3 level of interactivity.

Nothing I said was false. Lady Masako was the only character that got any decent story/acting/animation work. Graphics are subpar, except environments got great art direction. Also Jin has great combat animations. Every single cutscenes are just the characters talking while standing, dont even look at their puppet level facial animations. The dialogue mixing is horrible. Sometimes it just sounds like someone pressed play on a cd player when a character comes into a scene. Then presses stop.

Dream-Knife

Banned
The multiplayer was pretty fun. They should let you play the main campaign coop. I found the game way too repetitive and boring, and thus never finished the second island. Grinding it out with a friend would make it more enjoyable.

Game looks great though.

Withnail

I guess this is the OT then.

Has there been any discussion of how crazy fast it is to load into the game from the activity card in the PS5 UI? Basically if every game could do this the PS5 already has a Quick Resume equivalent.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I guess this is the OT then.

Has there been any discussion of how crazy fast it is to load into the game from the activity card in the PS5 UI? Basically if every game could do this the PS5 already has a Quick Resume equivalent.

The load times are the fastest I have ever seen. You can go from PS5 main menu cold booting the game and actually playing in about 7 seconds. Absolutely insane.

Flabagast

Yeah cutscenes are really bad in this game, basically zoomed out (to avoid seeing bad facial animation) shot/ counter shot and not much else except for the few big cinematics

Hugare

Yeah cutscenes are really bad in this game, basically zoomed out (to avoid seeing bad facial animation) shot/ counter shot and not much else except for the few big cinematics
Yeah, I love this game.

But its totally saved by its great gameplay

The story is meh, but its pacing is really bad and draged out. A lot of cutscenes are really underwhelming, as you mentioned.

Replaying it is such a drag, because you have to go through a looot of exposition and forced tutorials during the begining of the game.

Kill lots of leaders just to get different stances that are pretty much essential to beat some enemies.

It takes a while until the game gets really fun

SJRB

Gold Member
Yeah, I love this game.

The story is meh, but its pacing is really bad and draged out. A lot of cutscenes are really underwhelming, as you mentioned.

Replaying it is such a drag, because you have to go through a looot of exposition and forced tutorials during the begining of the game.

Kill lots of leaders just to get different stances that are pretty much essential to beat some enemies.

Also doesn't help that you can't skip cutscenes or even button-mash dialogue.

A lot of cutscenes are extremely slow paced, and almost always shot from the same perspective making it not only boring to listen to but also boring to watch. Especially now that I'm replaying and already know the story I really wish I could skip some of this.

How many times do I have to sit here and watch Jin cut the rope from some poor peasant's hands while he tells them to be safe and the peasant hands over a bit of supplies? Let me skip this, please.

I also agree on the stance unlocks coming way too late. The third and especially the fourth stance take forever but the game does not hold back on dropping spearmen and brutes on you leaving you with only ineffective methods until you unlock the stance.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, I love this game.

This I agree with, there is a lot to love about GOT but it is incredibly boring and I put it down with no real incentive to go back. The cost for this is not dragging me back in either.

Ive almost completed Returnal, so i'll go back and give it another go but I don't think ill bother with the upgrade version. PS4 pro with unlocked FPS looks great.

nowhat

I also agree on the stance unlocks coming way too late. The third and especially the fourth stance take forever but the game does not hold back on dropping spearmen and brutes on you leaving you with only ineffective methods until you unlock the stance.
I started playing from scratch and was almost at the fourth stance when I finished the first act - it's just a matter of how much you want to clear out the Mongol encampments (most of which are quite small), if you only do main/side missions then the progress is obviously slower. And of course you'll want to unlock the "parry spearmen" and "dodge + attack" skills as soon as possible, the latter helps both with spears and brutes.

Melubas

How is the multiplayer? I already finished the game on PS4, but a friend wanted to try out playing together and I'm pondering whether it's worth shelling out 25 euros for the upgrade.

nowhat

How is the multiplayer? I already finished the game on PS4, but a friend wanted to try out playing together and I'm pondering whether it's worth shelling out 25 euros for the upgrade.
I haven't played enough of it to give a fair assessment (many seem to love it), but the Legends upgrade is free if you already own the base game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Pretty good if you enjoy the combat.

Last edited:

Hugare

I started playing from scratch and was almost at the fourth stance when I finished the first act - it's just a matter of how much you want to clear out the Mongol encampments (most of which are quite small), if you only do main/side missions then the progress is obviously slower. And of course you'll want to unlock the "parry spearmen" and "dodge + attack" skills as soon as possible, the latter helps both with spears and brutes.
Yeah, I'm also doing a lot of mongol camps so I can unlock stances faster.

But its poor design, imo. Stances should have been unlocked from the get go.
It's not like the game becomes a breeze after unlocking them. It just becomes more fun and with more variety.

Its just like in Mirrors Edge Catalyst where they put the ability to roll as an unlockable.
You unlock it fast, but eh ...

Again, this kind of stuff really hurts replayability. Having to unlock stuff all over again is a pain in the ass.

I preffer games that doesnt handicap players to give the feeling of progression. Give us more challenging enemies and etc.

Last edited:

sainraja

I wasn't a big fan of the main character of Ghost but now I've grown to like him now. Still, they could have made him a little more interesting; it's not like they haven't done interesting characters before (e.g. Delsin Rowe). The mainstay for me though has been the combat and now I am playing through it on hard. I just love it.

I beat everything on the expansion and...if you werent a fan before, this wont convince you. Its more of the same, which is a little bit disappointing but not surprising.

Honestly, as much as I like this game, the mission designs are boiler plate at best and I feel like the open world aspect of this game could be totally tossed without missing much. I would not mind never seeing a fox shrine or collecting a banner flag ever again. The expansion adds a few different side activities but the most interesting one, playing the flute at animal sanctuaries, gets old so fucking fast. All the songs sound the same and they are all tedious and boring.

Top Bottom