• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
If I was to get one, should I get Yakuza 0 or Kiwami?
Surprising that Kiwami is cheaper on Amazon..

I'm about 10 hours into Kiwami and I don't think I would be enjoying it much at all if it wasn't for having played 0 (which was my first Yakuza game).

Kiwami actually feels a bit like an add-on for 0, the city is the same (though I think there's only 1 instead of the 2 in Yakuza 0), the side stories feel very similar though less fleshed out and less fun. It's really just the main story that's pulling me through, and even then only really because I have all the context to the characters that Yakuza 0 gave me.

2960521-cp_everybodysgolf_08312017.00_36_44_26.still001.jpg

Quick Look: Everybody's Golf
Golf is for everybody. Including small gremlin children made in the likeness of Alex Navarro.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
the city is the same (though I think there's only 1 instead of the 2 in Yakuza 0), the side stories feel very similar though less fleshed out and less fun. It's really just the main story that's pulling me through,

Welcome to the yakuza franchise.

Wut.

What ever gave you that impression?

Wasn't the opinion of Alex and Ben that they liked it but it was disappointing? I figure it's a lock for best style, thought it might find a way to hit ten.

I guess you are right though. Now that I think of it nobody is really gung-ho for it.

Kind of a silly thing to predict but who knows.

Hindl

Finally beat Persona 5 last night, 85 hours played and about five months real time later.

I guess I'm a bit disappointed. I liked the experience as a whole but it just didnt have the story highs of 3&4. Nothing felt very earned. It did have great presentation and music though and the combat was enjoyable.

It might crack the GB top ten list, maybe. Time to listen to the spoilercast.
Yeah my general feelings on Persona 5 are that I liked the themes but not the execution, and the back third of the game kinda dragged. And the villain arc doesn't really pay off well since he just comes out of nowhere and the middle part of the game feels directionless with its villain of the months

imBask

Banned
It should and it's sad that it won't. It's a good game that next to no one at GB played because it's long. Really, the only way I think Jeff or Vinny would have played it is if they did an ER, same with P4.

eh to be fair, it's not a BAD game but I got bored and i'm never going back. It made me realized that I was a Persona 4 fan, not a persona fan

Zaph

I was scrolling through the store page, fucked up, and ended up with a pre-order for destiny 2 digital deluxe edition.

Someone pass me the pomade.

In other news The Lost Legacy seems fantastic.

I only played an hour last night but it was the exact type of change I needed after Persona. It feels like they took uncharted and cut all the fat off. It is super satisfying so far. Great dialogue, tons of collectibles, and they throw you right into some action. I already feel more hooked in than I did in 4.

Antiwhippy

You know before a persona 3 remake the remake I actually want the most is the P2 duology.

P2: IS might be one of the most unbearable games I've played.

BTA

It should and it's sad that it won't. It's a good game that next to no one at GB played because it's long. Really, the only way I think Jeff or Vinny would have played it is if they did an ER, same with P4.

Eh. I never actually watched the P4 ER (and my only pre-P5 actual Persona experience beyond knowing spoilers was a few hours of P1 PSP) so I'm not sure what they saw in P4 that was repeated or not here, but I don't think this would have won anyone over that much in the end.

To be clear, I loved most of my 116 hours with it, but basically I have really mixed feelings over the story (first 2/3 has no resolution; last 1/3 has little to no setup) and I was annoyed by how much the gameplay became physical crits forever by the end.

faridmon

You know before a persona 3 remake the remake I actually want the most is the P2 duology.

P2: IS might be one of the most unbearable games I've played.

I bought that special edition EU version on the PSP because I loved P3 so much.

One of the most intolerably daunting game I have played. The random encounter rate was terrible. Every 2 step...

Harpuia

Jesus, that Dan breaking into Alex's room story.

How the fuck has Dan managed to keep a clean record with all the shit he's done over the years. He has to have some kind of pact with the devil to have not reaped some kind of karmic justice by now.

Actual answer is that he's white LOL.

daveo42

Banned
We all know Persona 3 is the best Persona anyway

I think the combat in 5 eeks out 3 for me.

eh to be fair, it's not a BAD game but I got bored and i'm never going back. It made me realized that I was a Persona 4 fan, not a persona fan

I think this is probably the case for those that started with 4 or were first exposed to persona through the ER. I liked 4, but I think the characters and story overall fell kind of flat by the end. I enjoyed it, but felt 3 and 5 did those aspects much better. Plus, 5 made dungeon crawling way less of a bore.

If I was to get one, should I get Yakuza 0 or Kiwami?
Surprising that Kiwami is cheaper on Amazon..

0 is a million times better than Kiwami, which mostly isn't very good despite having all the same mechanics and reusing the same assets. The story is bad. Most substories are also bad. The Majima Everywhere stuff is pretty much the only thing I really enjoy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Knack is sort of like a PS2 era brawler" yeah those games were bad

Look I have no ideological hate in my heart for Knack but everything I have seen of either of those games is dull as dishwater

Yeah, it's pretty funny hearing their praise for Knack be like, "it's like a game from 15 years ago!" and "it's like a game from 10 years ago, too!" Then they just sorta agree and reminisce on that era of mediocre co-op brawlers as if it's somehow a selling point.

I don't understand why they were reaching so much to praise Knack 2--it's a LEGO game without the LEGO.
any total war: warhammer players here have recommendations on which DLC to pick up?

Most of them are good additions, but if I had to recommend only one it would be Call of the Beastmen. They have a distinct horde gameplay playstyle, without any cities of their own. Plus minotaurs are just fun.

Grim & the Grave and the Blood pack are the only downright questionable DLCs at this point; CA even managed to salvage Chaos in that last patch.

Antiwhippy

Look they just miss having mediocre, sorta bland games that they can have fun with while playing with friends.

Luckily Destiny 2 is about to be released.

oti

Banned
Destiny without bullshit sounds good to me. I think I'll get this game after all.

"Knack is sort of like a PS2 era brawler" yeah those games were bad

Look I have no ideological hate in my heart for Knack but everything I have seen of either of those games is dull as dishwater
I think I read a Forbes snippet in the review thread that made me think of this. It basically says how Knack 2 isn't full of loot boxes or other contemporary crap, that it's "pure".

While that is all fine and well this really shouldn't mean this game deserves to be an 8 or something. The gameplay seems to be "fine" for what it is. But let's not get crazy here.
Kinda like how Sonic Mania got good scores because it's not total trash apparently.

If you really want to go down this route you should score every game with loot boxes etc. worse. But of course they won't do that.

patapuf

any total war: warhammer players here have recommendations on which DLC to pick up?

Most of the changes the DLC brings are patched into the game for free.

I would only buy the DLC of the factions you are interested in playing a grand campaign with. All of them play pretty differently than the standart factions and usually have their own mechanics for economy and expansion. Most also have a mini campaign on a smaller scale map that's different from the grand campaign. I don't think you can go wrong with any faction really.

edit: there's also 2 "general packs". Those are not worth the money really. Unless you really like playing that faction.

Wunder

Most of them are good additions, but if I had to recommend only one it would be Call of the Beastmen. They have a distinct horde gameplay playstyle, without any cities of their own. Plus minotaurs are just fun.

Grim & the Grave and the Blood pack are the only downright questionable DLCs at this point; CA even managed to salvage Chaos in that last patch.

Most of the changes the DLC brings are patched into the game for free.

I would only buy the DLC of the factions you are interested in playing a grand campaign with. All of them play pretty differently than the standart factions and usually have their own mechanics for economy and expansion. Most also have a mini campaign on a smaller scale map that's different from the grand campaign.

Thanks! I wanted a couple DLC since I heard they get put into the main campaign as enemies too. I'm probably gonna start off with one of the base game's races but I think I'll pick up beastmen and wood elves.

oti

Banned
Halo is so much cooler than Destiny in pretty much every way, it's a shame Bungie are now stuck doing this

On the lame scale of science-fiction universes I'd say Halo and Destiny are bascially the same.

I'm not a big fan of science-fiction though.

I want to see an overall list of games beaten this year by the GBCrew, because this year it seems to be at an all time low, probably due to onboarding the new hires, increasing family obligations, and more in-house multiplayer gaming with Dota, PUBG, and now Destiny 2.

I doubt anyone would raise any serious objections for pretty much anything during GOTY deliberations, at least until top 3.

patapuf

Thanks! I wanted a couple DLC since I heard they get put into the main campaign as enemies too. I'm probably gonna start off with one of the base game's races but I think I'll pick up beastmen and wood elves.

All factions are in the campaign, even if you don't own the DLC. It's only if you want to play as them that you have to pay.

oti

Banned
NeoGAF for 2 years: "Fuck Destiny 2, they won't trick me again"

NeoGAF after one sub-headline from a review-in-progress: "Fuck yeah, day 1!"

The shooting should still be as brilliant as ever. If the game now also respects my time, I'm satisfied.

I'm mostly here for playing with friends to be honest. So if anyone here wants to play Destiny 2 on PS4, let's play together!

ryseing

I'd like to see Brad play through the entirety of a Knack. Between the QL and the stream it's solid content.

On the lame scale of science-fiction universes I'd say Halo and Destiny are bascially the same.

I'm not a big fan of science-fiction though.

Both have their highs and lows. Destiny calling the big bad "the Darkness" is really stupid. The Hive not fitting into traditional gender/sexuality was kinda neat, as were the Warminds.

daveo42

Banned
NeoGAF for 2 years: "Fuck Destiny 2, they won't trick me again"

NeoGAF after one sub-headline from a review-in-progress: "Fuck yeah, day 1!"

I actually don't think alot of GAF was against Destiny as more they were disappointed by what Destiny was. I'm not surprised a tagline like "Destiny without the bullshit" worked in this case because it sounds like they fixed every other aspect of the game outside of what people really liked about it: the shooting.

Top Bottom