• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giantbomb gives their opinion on diversity in the gaming industry

rkofan87

Gold Member
Jesus christ how smug and vulgar can you be. Diversity isn't a bad thing in any given industy, its when its forcefully being shoved down everyones throats is the issue.

I don't get why companies don't reign in on politics. When it actually has an effect (usually negative these days) on their products and reception. That should be one of the priorities to fix with companies in the red. When your products don't align with what customers want and it doesn't sell, don't do it. Treating your customers like fucking idiots, constantly gaslighting and telling us what to think is not the way to go.
ding ding ding

BlackTron

Gold Member
There's a whole thing going on now, usually with people on this side of the argument where they act really proud with themselves as they say what they're saying. The entire demeanour, the mannerisms...it's almost like an act of public masturbation for their ego. There's a self-assured smugness to it that is painfully off-putting. Just the delivery by itself is repulsive.

Well put...it's like the entire point is to give themselves a podium to behave in this holier-than-thou fashion

Davevil

GPZouw7boAAy66o

now you have my attention

SpiceRacz

She is a miserable piece of shit. She’s done this to various female podcasters and YTers where she turns down any offer to debate or you know, have an actual conversation. She just threatens to fight them. Or in the case of YTer SmashJT, she found his wife on Facebook to tell her how awful of a person her husband is.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Promoting exclusivity as diversity.

I have no interest in fighting someone like that because to me, in the real world (Which is obviously a place she is too deluded to realize that she's a part of) i would prefer talking about it like adults.

But if all this bitch is telling me Fuck you, got mine, then ill just go on with my day. (And i know that's the kind of thing that pisses them off, not getting recognized for their cause). You can't get people to interest you in your cause if all you do is tell those very same people they don't count.

Tell me then why i should be interested in your cause again?

Zach Braff Zoom GIF by Comedy Central

According to Giant Bomb, games have diversity (LGBT etc) because the developers are diverse:

Everyone else:

jim carrey GIF

Forced diversity is a plague and its literally everywhere, now permutating on Threads. All these activists have in common is that they only have a few hundred to a few thousand followers and they are making zero dent to the causes they want to see changed. Let alone that, ofcourse, its never enough.

It is interesting to witness how they keep fighting the good fight, even sometimes questioning why their spiel doesn't work. But ofcourse, as soon as they get within grasping distance of an ounce of self-reflection, they go blame the others. Its always the others and it's never them.

The depressing thing is there's no interest in solutions, or finding a path forwards; all they care about is the "fight".

When's the last time you heard anyone say something to the effect of "yes, I agree that prejudice and discrimination is bad, but this isn't an effective way of ending it. This is actually not only unproductive but is creating more division and animosity." ?

We've had years of this, and things are not getting better because all we ever get is people pledging their allegiance to one side or the other. There's no self-analysis or critique on process. Its just the "fight". Thought leadership outsourced to charlatans and psychopaths who's only interest is in playing status games for money, power, and influence.
Thing is these fighters don't want any actual dialogue. They just want their solution to be everyone's solution, which, paradoxically, is promoting exclusivity.

I've never heard any of these activists or numbskulls have a sensible rebuttal to that so to me, they are just a nice anchor and reminder to know that i am not that crazy. There is always people like Alyssa.

Gambit2483

Jfc She can't help but make herself the story. Isn't that like, a cardinal sin in journalism?? Why do they keep giving this person attention?

Alebrije

Jfc She can't help but make herself the story. Isn't that like, a cardinal sin in journalism?? Why do they keep giving this person attention?
Saddly a Lot of people including some here put attention to those persons, an Yep when You become the news You are doing wrong your work. But we must remember gaming journalism is a joke by definition.

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

I got kicked out of the chat for stating that they weren't entertaining and that I wished the old GB crew were there instead. Did I offend?

The good thing about all of this "XYZ's opinion/support on DEI" articles is that it really doesn't matter, no one can force anyone to buy anything and so only some more closures will make them learn the lesson the hard way, while some new devs benefit from the gap that was left.

Toons

She's a bit harsh, but I dont disagree with the sentiment as long as its does with quality. And I think we've seen examples of it done with quality, and ij quality games.

Giant Bomb went steadily downhill and crashed when the core team left. Jeff, Vince, Brad were pretty woke too, but at least in the beginning they kept politics out of the site. For me the last straw was when they decided not to talk about Kingdom Deliverance because the game director was "anti-woke".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Where the fuck did these people come from? seriously. Where were they in the 90s and 00s?

Also she seems like a cunt and is probably plenty hateful towards certain groups, namely straight males of her own race.
Strait males and Jewish people, she hates both.

These people are so insane they think the 90s and 00s were rife with sexism, bigotry, and that we were in a worse place then than now. Absolute batshit.

Hypereides

Gold Member
I like her……the world would be better with more femdoms in it. Swooning.
notsureifserious.jpeg

If true, there are more attractive women out there whom you can lick the heels off or step on your groin.

Where the fuck did these people come from? seriously. Where were they in the 90s and 00s?

Also she seems like a cunt and is probably plenty hateful towards certain groups, namely straight males of her own race.
I gather they started infiltrating the industry in the recent decade.

Diversity is one thing and ok. What the problem is, is too much diversity. I checked recent surveys and perhaps 20% of people are queer. However playing recent games you get the impression that’s it’s more like 50/50 or even worse straight people are in the minority.

Cattlyst

I had genuinely forgotten about Giant Bomb. It was a weekly download for me from around 2011 all the way up until Jeff Gerstmann left and the three Nextlander dudes set up on their own. Must be about 2 years since I even thought about GB. Sad to see what one of the greatest podcasts has withered to.

rkofan87

Gold Member
Diversity is one thing and ok. What the problem is, is too much diversity. I checked recent surveys and perhaps 20% of people are queer. However playing recent games you get the impression that’s it’s more like 50/50 or even worse straight people are in the minority.
ding ding

fart town usa

Gold Member
Who the fuck are these people?

Remember when Giantbomb was an S-tier outlet? An actual reputable source of information? Filled with respected people with an insane amount of knowledge about the industry? How they went to the E3 shows and did a livestream every evening while half-drunk and had prominent guests on and grilled them about the state of the videogame industry? Remember how amazing their chemistry was? Good vibes all around.

Jeff Gerstmann rolling in his grave.
It's such a damn shame. GB was so entertaining and then it just snowballed into absolute trash.

Was Giant Bomb ever really good or were we all just young and there was much less competition in the podcast game back then?

I believe they had one of the best E3 coverage Shows with Giant Bomb @ Nite where everyone in the industry would come and get drunk and talk games on the couch. Yes this is the same show Meth-Cunt-e was just on but with a whole new staff of soy boys running the show. As someone already said, It's Giant Bomb in name only now.

As for the day to day stuff with the classic line-up, I would listen when they covered a game I was interested in but they would often go off script & talk about stuff outside of gaming that was hit or miss. Depending on what you want out of a podcast this might be really annoying or the best part.

Top Bottom