• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giantbomb gives their opinion on diversity in the gaming industry

SJRB

Gold Member
Who the fuck are these people?

Remember when Giantbomb was an S-tier outlet? An actual reputable source of information? Filled with respected people with an insane amount of knowledge about the industry? How they went to the E3 shows and did a livestream every evening while half-drunk and had prominent guests on and grilled them about the state of the videogame industry? Remember how amazing their chemistry was? Good vibes all around.

Jeff Gerstmann rolling in his grave.

SHA

Even if Duke Nukem himself became one I wouldn't support his ass, I'm sorry but I know him that's not who he is.

The media and entertainment business is the only industry that hates it's own customers and says it. It would be like McDonald's releasing a burger that's tastes really horrible and saying if you fatties don't like it, don't buy it. If they don't like the fact that there is a high percentage of white males that play games and let's be honest spend a lot of money then don't work in the industry. At least vegans won't work in an abertoir and then complain about it.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I would love to see an actual “come fight me physically bitch” event go ahead.

It could be ala Uwe Boll vs critics.

Perhaps we could crowd fund it as a charity fundraiser for a real charity, not a shit fake LGOLEHDTVBBQ hustle.

YOU PC BRO?!

Gold Member
It’s almost as if these people believe that demographics don’t exist. That every group of people consume x content at the same rates. This is nothing more than wish fulfilment. Willing your audience to be x minority or y minority is simply delusional. I’m sorry but in the west the predominant market i.e. the group of people that consumes AAA games is overwhelmingly straight white men. Of course, there are exceptions depending on the genre but generally that is the case. It plays out the same way in movies also, guess who the largest audience for the ultra fem-centric Marvels movie was? Men… just like the WNBA, women didn’t show up. Good luck tailoring your games and going after that 3% - 5% alphabet audience… you know, the one that doesn’t actually buy or play the games. The market just isn’t there… and if the market isn’t there then it’s simply pandering. Not every game has to be for everyone. Entertainment used to be targeted towards the people that actually consume the content. I’m sorry that women aren’t represented in that WW2 game. Or that there aren’t any black folks in that game about the vikings. I know, why don’t you make a game in the fantasy genre? You know, the genre that is 60% - 70% consumed by men. You can cast a black female lead. Spend $200 million on it and see how it sells… O’ wait, it was called Forspoken and the studio that made it ended up being closed down. Why? Didn’t black women show up? No. Didn’t women in general show up? No. Thats what pandering gets you. DEI is fantastic but it doesn’t actually sell. You can inject this nonsense into established franchise after established franchise but the market ultimately decides. A market that is more put off by all this pandering by the day.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Comments from a completely irrelevant company. Who gives a shit.

Even what’s left of GB sucks and has no sustainability, at least not in the same league as Moriarty & co. Ryckert must be there just to pick up whatever scraps are left. At least that’s what I keep telling myself 😂

It’s surprising.

Gerstmann used to have Spencer on the couch during E3s shooting the shit. Nolan North chilled with the GB crew back in the peak Uncharted days. Now? Gerstmann pulls in jack shit. Wanna hear Ben again?

And Nextlander is still the ultimate tripod of walking on eggshells when it comes to opinions. Hey we own our own business! Yeah? But the purple hairs own YOU!

Congrats

Zero sustainability with both. And well deserved. Fuck em all at this point. You reap what you sow.

nush

The problem is with their “diversity” is that is’s a very narrow band of diversity. Even if you are not straight, white, attractive and you don’t fall into that band you don’t fucking exist.

Lambogenie

It's OK to insult dissenting opinion people but if they call you a bitch you call them bigots.

She's a b word herself. A bigot.
When will these people realise they are a global minority and forever will be!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The media and entertainment business is the only industry that hates it's own customers and says it..

Them in a nutshell,
xww5kHz.jpeg

Aenima

Oh lol, a thread about something Alysa Mercante said on a podcast. Whats wrong with you OP?

Last edited:
Alphabet crew is less than 1% of global population. If we were to have actual diversity then where are my hindu and sino folks at in our AAA games. Collectively those two groups represent what, a quarter of humanity? When's the last time we saw a hindu or chinese lead character?

It's propaganda, we can all see through it, they know we can see through it, and they 😂 are starting to cry like babies about it.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
They are a bunch of lunatics that do shit over the internet pretending they are wise. Its like nazi saying the water is wet and people be like "they are right, get over it".

Senua

Gold Member
Comments from a completely irrelevant company. Who gives a shit.

Even what’s left of GB sucks and has no sustainability, at least not in the same league as Moriarty & co. Ryckert must be there just to pick up whatever scraps are left. At least that’s what I keep telling myself 😂

It’s surprising.

Gerstmann used to have Spencer on the couch during E3s shooting the shit. Nolan North chilled with the GB crew back in the peak Uncharted days. Now? Gerstmann pulls in jack shit. Wanna hear Ben again?

And Nextlander is still the ultimate tripod of walking on eggshells when it comes to opinions. Hey we own our own business! Yeah? But the purple hairs own YOU!

Congrats

Zero sustainability with both. And well deserved. Fuck em all at this point. You reap what you sow.
The glory days never last forever, just like Rome. Rip emperor gerstmann

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
So, I guess their argument is that if a society isn't 'diverse', that should also be reflected in the media that it creates? White majority countries should have white majority characters represented in their media?

The whole 'come fight me physically' thing is so fucking pathetic. We all know what would happen the second someone knocked her teeth out.

semiconscious

Gold Member
than why is she toxic posting. She 100% was being a toxic asshat in that video. She's virtue signalling. She doesn't even believe in her own words so why do I care what he opinion is?
correct...

again: this's just the 'internet celebrity' racket, & these people are in the business of promoting themselves, not 'diversity' or whatever other flavor-of-the-week's going 'round...

March Climber

Gold Member
"Not because anyone is making it diverse"

No, it's exactly because people are making it diverse. Fuck off with that. SBI exists as a consultation agency to promote diversity ffs. That's their main goal.
They’re implying if SBI ceased to exist tomorrow, nothing would change, which is something myself and others here have pointed out here before.

In order to change everything you would have to remove LA, Seattle, and many other entire west coast areas from modern creative markets.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
She's is right, the industry is full of them.
That's why studios with high calibre pedigrees are shipping flops and studios are being shut down.
It's a cancer that needs to cut off before it spreads to more vital organs.
Yes the industry is full of them, the world is not.

BbMajor7th

Middle-class, metropolitan, white-collar elitism at its most naked. The diversity push of the past two decades has driven a level of smug, self-satisfied homogeny that excludes all but a narrow stream of cultural ideals. Everyone talks the same, looks the same, and behaves the same, be they hardened deep-space outlaws or medieval holy warriors. This isn't diversity, it's brain rot.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
She makes a good and obvious point. Diversity exists in real life; if you don't like it, get over it. No one should bend over for intolerant assholes.

Of course diversity exists. Diversity however has become everyone EXCEPT white people, especially white males.

So my existence as a white male is a problem for these freaks of nature so i wont get over anything and them and anyone who thinks like them can kiss my white hairy 100% male ass

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I think i figured out why all this bullshit bothers me so much.....im from the Atari age and thats when i started gaming and still game today.

Gaming has always to me been an escape from reality, from the worlds negativity, politics and drama. These last several years have been terrible in that regard. All of this DEI, Sweet Baby bullshit, see my pronouns, woke stories, etc....being more and more injected into games has pretty much eliminated that true escape feeling. I dont game to experience real life, i game to get away from it

Top Bottom