• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

z1pdxdF.gif

daveo42

Banned
PUBG > Destiny 2

Early Access games to be included in GotY deliberations starting 2018 (at least if Jeff gets his way)
Edit: or I guess not. My stream's a bit behind.

Wunder

wtf does a "full year" even mean

are game developers going to change how they handle early access because of a rule change from Giant Bomb?

Grisby

I'm betting all my shines that the intro to Destiny 2 conversation goes like:

Jeff: Soooo what else is out
Brad: Oh, y'know. Just video games.
Jeff: Destiny 2?
Brad: Yeah!
Jeff: So tell me about Destiny 2
Brad: Wellllllll, it's more Destiny
Damn. Do you read palms?

Teddified

can't wait till GOTY is over so we can stop this whole "what does early access even mean talk"

Though it'll probably never stop.

Harpuia

Wait. What. What did Jeff say about PUBG and goty

Edit: I still think Jeff will acquiesce and allow PUBG to be a contender. He will probably have mixed feelings up until December.

I gotta say, I don't envy player unknown for calling what is essentially a business decision on "releasing" PUBG this year. Nobody is going to care as much as they do now come one year from now if they don't formally release it this year.

It's not even just to make the lists on video game websites. I bet he's putting his team into maximum overdrive to ensure they make the deadline for this year so that they can keep momentum and hopefully make some sales on the Xbox.

If PUBG is DQ'd, what do you guys see as the biggest GOTY contender over there?

I'm thinking some serious shit could go down with Super Mario Odyssey. I know there's a few Zelda stans at Giant Bomb, but their hype appeared to dissipate right when they got into PUBG (and Jeff didn't really love it either).

I'd love for Persona, Nier, or Yakuza to become big contenders, but I just don't see anyone outside maybe Alex for Nier pushing for any of them to take the top spot...

Ashby

If PUBG is DQ'd, what do you guys see as the biggest GOTY contender over there?

I'm thinking some serious shit could go down with Super Mario Odyssey. I know there's a few Zelda stans at Giant Bomb, but their hype appeared to dissipate right when they got into PUBG (and Jeff didn't really love it either).

I'd love for Persona, Nier, or Yakuza to become big contenders, but I just don't see anyone outside maybe Alex for Nier pushing for any of them to take the top spot...

Man, this has been a fantastic year for Japanese games huh

oti

Banned
I'm playing Destiny 2 now so I'm not watching the podcast live but from what I'm reading in here:

200.gif

I always believed.
And you laughed at me.

Hasney

What the shit

No Jeff PUBG is goty

what a lazy attempt at getting horizon in first

Horizon ain't getting first, come on now.

I don't care if you like or hate the game, not including it in the 2017 debate makes absolutely no sense

I don't care about sense or even if it won, but now I won't have to look up timestamps to skip the initial conversation because I'm sick of hearing about it, so I'm happy.

Teddified

I'm playing Destiny 2 now so I'm not watching the podcast live but from what I'm reading in here:

I always believed.
And you laughed at me.

Wait for the panel they talk about zelda soooo much and about how great it is and how PUBG sucks.

this was a lie, I'm sorry.

imBask

Banned

I don't care about sense or even if it won, but now I won't have to look up timestamps to skip the initial conversation because I'm sick of hearing about it, so I'm happy.

Congrats on getting your stupid game in front by cheating and applying outdated rules

you're the worst Hasney, YOU BROKE MY HEART

convo

Not that i play PUBG but i wouldn't have minded it being in the GOTY run, just because a simplified version of a much more complex game like Arma got so popular. It makes me hopeful that other genres can breakthrough to a wider audience with the right idea.

This. Jeff loves Horizon. A few people on staff really like it. The rest just think it's alright. That's not enough to push it past 3rd (and that's being EXTREMELY generous)

You don't understand, Jeff doesn't like any other game this year. He's been playing old garbage that isn't even applicable to the GOTY.

Not true! He enjoyed Sonic Mania!

That being said, yeah, you're not wrong. If he did like other games, it wasn't passionately enough to be remarkable. Hell, he might even prefer Destiny 2 over most games released this year, and he doesn't even seem all that excited about it.

Teddified

lol why are people talking like PUBG is out of the GOTY running now? All jeff said was that they'll have the conversation about Early Access during those podcasts and stated his current opinion. Also this all hinges on the game not coming out this year, is there any real reason to believe it's not coming?

I'm sure Mr. PUBG will rush the game out so he can be in the prestigious GB GOTY awards.

lol why are people talking like PUBG is out of the GOTY running now? All jeff said was that they'll have the conversation about Early Access during those podcasts and stated his current opinion. Also this all hinges on the game not coming out this year, is there any real reason to believe it's not coming?

I'm sure Mr. PUBG will rush the game out so he can be in the prestigious GB GOTY awards.

It's a top priority.

Please, Jeff was the only one who like Mario Maker and we saw the garbage that year was.

2015 was a weird year for Giant Bomb in that the people opposed to Jeff didn't really have strong arguments as to why something else should be GOTY. Dan milking Mario Maker for all the content it's worth didn't help things.

That all said, no way in hell Jeff cares as much about Horizon as he cared about Mario Maker.

That all said, no way in hell Jeff cares as much about Horizon as he cared about Mario Maker.

The point is he doesn't care about any game. Everyone loves PUBG. Everyone.

What are they going to argue for GOTY? "Well I guess Zelda is popular? I guess Destiny 2 is popular?"

If they don't care for those games, then it'll be a shitty goty.

TraBuch

Banned

What are they going to argue for GOTY? "Well I guess Zelda is popular? I guess Destiny 2 is popular?"

I agree.

They should all play Golf and vote it number 1.

Meguro

Banned
They should give PUBG their GOTY, regardless of early access status.
It's clearly the game they love the most out of everything released so far and to exclude based on that would be silly to say the least.

oti

Banned
Playing the second mission of Destiny 2 feels like Luke Smith is sitting next to me screaming: "SEE?! SEE?! EMOTIONS AND A STORY!!!!! FEEL THINGS! FEEL THINGS NOW!"

It's ok, Breezy. We're here for you.

Ashby

You are cracking me up, man. I appreciate ya, I needed this today.

daveo42

Banned
Knack 1 was an okay game. Not great, but not bad either. I'm looking forward Knack 2, though I will be waiting on playing it later on.

Do you think they don't care about those games? I'm sure a few people on the crew would put their weight behind either of those games. There are plenty of great games that people at GB care about that aren't named PUBG.

I'll agree with that in a general sense.

Top Bottom