• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Giveaway* - Radeon HD 7950, a 3DS, and more - help a GAFer beat cancer!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Can't type much but I'm at the hospital and Mr. F is with me. Surgery went well and I'm just resting after walking some today. Thanks for the support guys.

IHy0E02.gif

Hey guys, small update. I'm doing alright. On liquids and solid food by tomorrow, going home by Sunday hopefully. Feeling much better and walking without much problems, just tired.

Pathology came back and it was indeed teratoma, so no chemotherapy is needed which was great to hear. Recovery is just taking time, not a fan of the catheter but a minor thing compared to everything else.

Thanks again for the support and I look forward to seeing everyone get their prizes if they haven't already.

maxcriden

Hey guys, small update. I'm doing alright. On liquids and solid food by tomorrow, going home by Sunday hopefully. Feeling much better and walking without much problems, just tired.

Pathology came back and it was indeed teratoma, so no chemotherapy is needed which was great to hear. Recovery is just taking time, not a fan of the catheter but a minor thing compared to everything else.

Thanks again for the support and I look forward to seeing everyone get their prizes if they haven't already.

So glad you're on the mend. :)

I sympathize on the catheter front. Had to get one put in after my gall bladder surgery, no fun. Fantastic news on the mass being benign, it's all uphill from here, bro.

Hey everyone, just posted this on my GoFundMe page but thought I should share it here as well. Thanks!

Hey everyone, now that I'm feeling a bit better and have some more energy, I wanted to try and post a big update. Please excuse me if it seems a bit long winded, a lot has happened and I'm still a little cloudy.

After surgery ended on Monday evening, I finally got to see my family at 10pm when I was taken to the ward. I don't even remember being knocked out, just waking up and being in some pain. I went with an epidural for the pain management, which was a life saver. Throughout the week I was in minimal pain, only a dull feeling and soreness when I would move. It was not as extreme as I was expecting.

The week was challenging. They had me up and walking the very next morning, which I could only walk from my room the to nurses desk and back. I had nausea everytime I would stand up, but that slowly went away as the week went by. I continued walking each day, setting a goal for myself each time. It became easier and easier, which also put me in high spirits. I was having trouble sleeping most of the week and after a rather hard Wednesday night, I was feeling a bit down.

Each day they would tempt me with the idea of finally being able to drink liquids, but I didn't actually get to until Saturday. It was a rough week in that regards, I wasn't even hungry just really thirsty. I was given ice chips here and there, but that was the extent of what they would allow. When I finally was able to have liquids and some foods, it was things like chicken broth, jello, and italian ice. I was given a solid meal Saturday night of plain pasta and carrots, which filled me up pretty quick.

I was given the ok to go home on Sunday morning, which was exciting. I was originally supposed to be in for 5 days but they extended it because they didn't feel my bowels had completely woken up. It felt amazing to have the epidural, catheter, and IVs taken out. I didn't feel like a puppet with a bunch of strings attached, I was able to move freely for a brief period at the hospital. Once I got all my paper work, I was dressed and ready to leave. The walk to the car had to have been one of the most physically demanding things I have ever done. It was a literal struggle, but it felt nice to finally walk outside, especially with the beautiful weekend weather we had here in Chicago.

Now I'm at home, resting and trying to gain my strength back. Walking some, but mostly laying in bed. I don't really have a taste for food right now and what I do eat I fill up on quick. Trying to eat as much as I can, as I have lost quite a bit of weight. I'm at 150 now, which I haven't been at for 10 years. The recovery is going to be a slow process and one that I'm not going to rush, I just need to take it easy so that I can bounce back stronger than ever.

I seriously cannot thank everyone enough for their help and support. I'm not really sure what I would have done without it. I still have a lot of things that need to be dealt with in regards to this ordeal, bills and checkups that will slowly creep up in the coming months. But every little bit helps and I am forever grateful to all of you.

maxcriden

Thanks for your update, Alex. I am so glad your recovery has gone as well as it has so far, and I am hopeful and confident it will be a quick and easy road to recovery for you. :)

Great development! Glad to hear it's going well.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

I just hope my buddy who has cancer as well will get healthy as well.

zulux21

I meant to post this sooner and with pictures, but work has been crazy and it hurts to move so I will at least post this.

I got my nightwing statue and it's awesome as expected, thanks for that ^^.

Also I hope your recovery is still going well.

gabbo

I meant to post this sooner and with pictures, but work has been crazy and it hurts to move so I will at least post this.

I got my nightwing statue and it's awesome as expected, thanks for that ^^.

Also I hope your recovery is still going well.

yes, updates please!

Yes, please provide us with some updates when you can my good man. :)

I held off to make an update today, since I had a visit with my urologist for my post-op. I will paste what I posted on my GoFundMe page. I've been doing great though, I feel good and have a little too much time on my hands... been on GAF a lot more lately, haha.

Hey everyone, wanted to update you since I had a follow up visit with my Urologist, Dr. Meeks, today and had some positive news. Come Monday, it will be 4 weeks since surgery, which seems crazy to me. The days seem to drag but when I look back at the weeks it seems like yesterday I was at the hospital.

I'm doing well with my recovery, I can walk with no issues or pain, I'm still a little sore getting up or sitting in certain positions, but nothing too bad. I've been eating more, although I get full easily. My weight has stabilized as well, although I lost around 17 pounds since the surgery.

My Urologist said I'm doing great, my incision is healing fine and he's very happy with my progress so far. They took some blood to look at my tumor markers today as well. I have a follow up visit with my Oncologist in December and I will go back and see Dr. Meeks in February to do a CT scan. While the lymph nodes turned out to be teratoma and I do not have to proceed with chemo again, they still want to do follow up visits because there is always a chance that the cancer can return.

I've been able to drive here and there, but it gets a little uncomfortable sometimes. Went to the grocery store on my own earlier this week, which felt great to get out. I have a little over 2 weeks until I go back to work part time in December, which will be nice. Getting a little stir crazy although I'm sure I will also be worn out after going back to work. Just going to take it day by day.

I will also be celebrating my birthday on Sunday. It's been an eventful week! Thank you for the continued support, it means a lot.

gabbo

I held off to make an update today, since I had a visit with my urologist for my post-op. I will paste what I posted on my GoFundMe page. I've been doing great though, I feel good and have a little too much time on my hands... been on GAF a lot more lately, haha.

Great to hear

That's really good news, and good to see the donations still coming in. $7540 as of this post.

gabbo

How did all the donations go? I sort of stopped paying attention that ages ago and just followed your updates. That front page list got huge.

How did all the donations go? I sort of stopped paying attention that ages ago and just followed your updates. That front page list got huge.

Donations didn't reach the goal, but that's alright. It's been extremely helpful, although the hospital was able to cover my hospital stay and the surgery, I have other bills coming in that weren't covered; pathology, follow up visit, and the recent blood work. Right before my surgery we just gave away everything. I hope items reached everyone, only a few people have posted receiving them.

Speaking of my blood work, got the results back for the tumor makers. Everything came back right in the range that is considered normal, so I'm officially cancer free! I still have a CT scan in Feb, but there shouldn't be anything considering I no longer than the lymph nodes.

It's always great to see the thread bumped for good news. And happy birthday, kitchenmotors!

Aw thanks! <3

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Donations didn't reach the goal, but that's alright. It's been extremely helpful, although the hospital was able to cover my hospital stay and the surgery, I have other bills coming in that weren't covered; pathology, follow up visit, and the recent blood work. Right before my surgery we just gave away everything. I hope items reached everyone, only a few people have posted receiving them.

Speaking of my blood work, got the results back for the tumor makers. Everything came back right in the range that is considered normal, so I'm officially cancer free! I still have a CT scan in Feb, but there shouldn't be anything considering I no longer than the lymph nodes.

Aw thanks! <3

Great to hear man.

gabbo

Aw thanks! <3
Good to hear. Ah, thought most of the games were still out there, since the OP has a ton not crossed off. But that's not the important thing obviously.
Glad you're on the up and up, and appear to be cancer free. :)

Aw thanks! <3
Thats awesome! Really happy to hear that

Merry Christmas Eve!

I just wanted to say thank you again to everyone who helped out this year and a Merry Christmas to you guys and your family. I am extremely thankful for all the help I received this year and I couldn't have made it through my surgery or recovery without it. It's quite amazing and I owe my health to all of you.

Evilore posted something on Facebook this morning that moved me and I wanted to share it here, hopefully it's not an issue.

Love, positive vibes, and best wishes wherever you are in the world, whether with family or friends or hanging out on your own, in comfort and warmth or in the process of overcoming hardship, and receiving the affection you deserve (seeing as you're my Facebook friend, duh) or nursing a broken heart or floating somewhere in ambiguity. Cherish the important bonds you've formed and strive to both strengthen them and build new ones. If someone you know is on the down and out, extend a hand or an invitation. Grant a smile and a random act of kindness to a stranger. Give a gift to an unsuspecting acquaintance. We're all in it together, after all.

Happy holidays, everyone.

Really nice words.

Thanks again. I'm also in the process of sending out the thank you cards to donors, I had the kids help me create fun stuff on the inside, I just need to finish writing the personal notes to everyone. Love you guys!

Top Bottom