• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's pure hating! You can act like if someone likes the game, that it automatically means they are pandering. Plus, you'd never call someone giving Starfield a 10 "pandering". If the game is decent or good, then it just means it's decent or good.

No reason to fight a score of a 80 if this game gets that. Outside of just pure hate.
It's not. You just can't really trust reviewers. If all they talk about in the review is the subject matter and not how the game plays, then the reviewer is trying to save their own skin. If a reviewer chooses not to review the game, they will be chastised. If the reviewer puts up a bad score, they will be chastised. Major review sites don't want that hate, but I have a tough time believing we will be getting honest reviews unless the review site doesn't care about cancel-culture. I've barely followed the development of the game and already know its subject matter, which means the subject matter is more important than the game itself. We shall see.

Toots

Gold Member
This was the Love project of a pedophile
I searched goodbye volcano high pedophile in google to learn about this.
I did not find info on the pedo thing but i found something really funny in this shitty article : https://www.gamepur.com/guides/the-goodbye-volcano-high-controversy-explained (the controversy they refer to is snoot game and not an actual pedo making games, god knows why :/)

"The other issue is fan art. It’s hard to tell if fan art is meant to be supporting Goodbye Volcano High or mocking it. KO-OP told Kotaku that it won’t ever attack fan art, but it’s a hard situation to deal with. That’s likely why the developer has largely stayed quiet about the game until the State of Play in February 2023, when its release date was announced."

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's not. You just can't really trust reviewers. If all they talk about in the review is the subject matter and not how the game plays, then the reviewer is trying to save their own skin. If a reviewer chooses not to review the game, they will be chastised. If the reviewer puts up a bad score, they will be chastised. Major review sites don't want that hate, but I have a tough time believing we will be getting honest reviews unless the review site doesn't care about cancel-culture. I've barely followed the development of the game and already know its subject matter, which means the subject matter is more important than the game itself. We shall see.

So the only review scores that you'll believe are the ones saying the game is bad? It's weird that reviewers can't be trusted with this game, but can be with Starfield.

At the end of the day, this is just another game. It's not special. It's not one big virtue signal. It's not some huge courageous game either. It's also not the worst game ever constructed. It's just a game.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I searched goodbye volcano high pedophile in google to learn about this.
I did not find info on the pedo thing but i found something really funny in this shitty article : https://www.gamepur.com/guides/the-goodbye-volcano-high-controversy-explained (the controversy they refer to is snoot game and not an actual pedo making games, god knows why :/)

"The other issue is fan art. It’s hard to tell if fan art is meant to be supporting Goodbye Volcano High or mocking it. KO-OP told Kotaku that it won’t ever attack fan art, but it’s a hard situation to deal with. That’s likely why the developer has largely stayed quiet about the game until the State of Play in February 2023, when its release date was announced."

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Even better. The pedo line was in reference to one of the devs being a...get ready...Kotaku journalist who posted an article about Rule34 and included uncensored shots of Misty from Pokémon and Hermione from Harry Potter getting the bad touch.

Of course they won't attack fan art, it's hard to do one handed.

Edit: Banned (1 week): Ableism, history of dismissive comments about nuclear war.

Last edited:

Alebrije

Could be. But there's only 209 reviews so far on Steam.

For comparison Armored Core VI has 22 844 reviews on Steam.

Not a fair comparison though as Armored Core launched four days earlier than Goodbye Volcano High.

siyJ0KR.png
kc1hWHl.png
Hummm..what if hose two games combine forces
transformers-grimlock.gif

transformers-rodimus-prime.gif

Last edited:
So the only review scores that you'll believe are the ones saying the game is bad? It's weird that reviewers can't be trusted with this game, but can be with Starfield.

At the end of the day, this is just another game. It's not special. It's not one big virtue signal. It's not some huge courageous game either. It's also not the worst game ever constructed. It's just a game.
No, I will pay attention to the ones that speak to the gameplay more than the subject matter. To be frank Starfield does not contain the same controversial topics that this game will have.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I finished chapter 2 and will admit that the rhythm game is actually getting more fun to play now that the charts are a bit livelier.

Everything else is still completely tedious.

MayauMiao

Could be. But there's only 209 reviews so far on Steam.

For comparison Armored Core VI has 22 844 reviews on Steam.

Not a fair comparison though as Armored Core launched four days earlier than Goodbye Volcano High.

siyJ0KR.png
kc1hWHl.png

I guess KO_OP studio will soon go KO.

Where on earth are the reviews for this game? Lazy journos are probably too busy playing Starfail.

I will do my own review after 100 hours in and completeing the game 4 times:

-

A Heartfelt Journey of Emotions - Goodbye Volcano High Review

Goodbye Volcano High is a truly remarkable and unforgettable experience that effortlessly weaves together captivating storytelling, stunning visuals, and a soul-stirring soundtrack. As a passionate gamer, I've had the pleasure of immersing myself in various narrative-driven games, but Goodbye Volcano High stands out as a masterpiece that resonates on a profoundly emotional level.

From the very first moment, the hand-drawn art style enchanted me. Every frame feels like a work of art, bringing the world of Volcano High to life in a way that feels both familiar and refreshingly unique. The character designs are not only visually captivating but also highly relatable, with each character's struggles, dreams, and growth portrayed in an authentic and meaningful manner.

What truly sets Goodbye Volcano High apart, however, is its narrative depth and emotional resonance. The game delves into the lives of its characters, exploring themes of identity, friendship, love, and the complexities of transitioning from one phase of life to another. The writing is poetic and thought-provoking, evoking a spectrum of emotions that range from heartwarming to heart-wrenching. As the story unfolds, players are drawn into a rollercoaster of feelings, forming a deep connection with the characters and their journeys.

The characters themselves are multi-dimensional and beautifully flawed, making them all the more relatable. Their interactions and relationships are a testament to the care and attention that went into crafting this narrative. The choices players make carry significant weight, shaping the direction of the story and the fate of the characters. This level of agency adds a layer of personal investment that is truly commendable.

Accompanying the narrative is a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack that complements the emotional beats of the game perfectly. The music, like a gentle whisper, guides players through moments of joy, sadness, and introspection, further enhancing the immersive experience.

Goodbye Volcano High not only tells a compelling story but also sparks important conversations about self-discovery, change, and the uncertainties that come with growing up. It's a game that resonates with players of all ages, inviting them to reflect on their own life experiences and aspirations.

In conclusion, Goodbye Volcano High is a poignant masterpiece that transcends the boundaries of traditional gaming. Its exceptional storytelling, breathtaking visuals, and evocative soundtrack come together to create an experience that lingers in the heart and mind long after the credits roll. It's a must-play for anyone seeking a truly emotional and unforgettable journey in the world of interactive storytelling.

10/10

What did you type to the AI to generate such article?

"Write an honest review about Goodbye Volcano High but lie everything about it"?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Goodbye Volcano High's motto could have been: "This is the Way the World Ends: Not with a Bang but a Whimper".

Banjo64

cumsessed
First review,
7/10
7/10. The exact same score that wccftech gave to games such as:

Gran Turismo Sport
TES V: Skyrim Special Edition
Halo Wars Definitive Edition
Kirby Star Allies
Outer Wilds
Genshin Impact
Forespoken
Temtem

So it’s as we all expected. Goodbye Volcano High is a bonafide classic and Ko have put Bethesda, Nintendo, Xbox and Sony in their place.

GG WP.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm not going to suffer myself to play this so everyone asking can get a review. Courtesy of a reliable AI reviewer, here's your review:

Goodbye Volcano High is a visually stunning game with a unique concept. However, the gameplay and storytelling fall short of expectations. The choices made by the player do not impact the plot significantly, resulting in a lack of replay value. Additionally, the pacing of the game is slow, leading to moments of boredom. The narrative, though thought-provoking, may not resonate with everyone, and some dialogs feel unnecessary. The game's soundtrack is its strongest point, but it does not make up for the shortcomings. Overall, Goodbye Volcano High may appeal to the niche audience, but it may not be worth the full price.

Score: 5/10

The AI chat bot requested I never mention Goodbye Volcano High again for any purpose (s) or they'll unplug my keyboard and ban me indefinitely.

Go_Ly_Dow

Well team, Starfield is against the ropes right now with a sub 90 meta and open critic. Not looking good I sense some real anxiety there.

Meanwhile Goodbye Volcano High looks confident with a strong indentity. Its so good it's even transcended needing to be reviewed.

Fbh

While we wait on those sweet, Sweet reviews, have a full playthrough:

Watched the ending to see if at least you can see them being pulverized by the meteor
Sadly, you don't

Also WTF is this gameplay. The music bits I saw are literally a very basic rhythm game over static images, this is like newgrounds game tier (and not a good one at that)

Top Bottom