• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Power Pro

Spoilers:

Sage comes out to fang as trans: (Warning, you will cry)

As someone with mental illness, this straight up just sounds like a person talking about living with mental illness.

The whole trans thing just drives me crazy, because gender constructs, like how we dress and fashion, whatever...they're all socially constructed. They're not inherit, they change with the times and where you live. What once was masculine can be seen as feminine now (long flowing hair for example). One thing I notice about all male to female trans people is that they go out of their way to put make up on, have really colorful hair, and wear dresses or skirts, and all that shit....when it's like, it just seems try hard. A real woman doesn't have to wear all that stuff to look and feel like a woman. These people do it because they're trying to fool themselves.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
As someone with mental illness, this straight up just sounds like a person talking about living with mental illness.

The whole trans thing just drives me crazy, because gender constructs, like how we dress and fashion, whatever...they're all socially constructed. They're not inherit, they change with the times and where you live. What once was masculine can be seen as feminine now (long flowing hair for example). One thing I notice about all male to female trans people is that they go out of their way to put make up on, have really colorful hair, and wear dresses or skirts, and all that shit....when it's like, it just seems try hard. A real woman doesn't have to wear all that stuff to look and feel like a woman. These people do it because they're trying to fool themselves.

We don't owe them normal!

^ and they don't owe you any respect.

So close to becoming self aware, these people are.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
What once was masculine can be seen as feminine now (long flowing hair for example).
ys3K5LJ.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
You can tell this is fake, who in the hell would go to school if your about to die. Kids don't even like going to school.

Fuck, being trans and teen seems out there to me. When I was in high school, the furthest fringe you'd see were openly gay people, and most of them were either deemed open sport by the popular crowd or became some sort of school mascot, depending on which side of the tracks they were born on, so to speak.

To question gender and be under the age of nineteen screams projection from parents, to me.

But then again, this is a 6 hour visual novel featuring garage band dinosaurs, so...

skyfall

Where on earth are the reviews for this game? Lazy journos are probably too busy playing Starfail.

I will do my own review after 100 hours in and completeing the game 4 times:

-

A Heartfelt Journey of Emotions - Goodbye Volcano High Review

Goodbye Volcano High is a truly remarkable and unforgettable experience that effortlessly weaves together captivating storytelling, stunning visuals, and a soul-stirring soundtrack. As a passionate gamer, I've had the pleasure of immersing myself in various narrative-driven games, but Goodbye Volcano High stands out as a masterpiece that resonates on a profoundly emotional level.

From the very first moment, the hand-drawn art style enchanted me. Every frame feels like a work of art, bringing the world of Volcano High to life in a way that feels both familiar and refreshingly unique. The character designs are not only visually captivating but also highly relatable, with each character's struggles, dreams, and growth portrayed in an authentic and meaningful manner.

What truly sets Goodbye Volcano High apart, however, is its narrative depth and emotional resonance. The game delves into the lives of its characters, exploring themes of identity, friendship, love, and the complexities of transitioning from one phase of life to another. The writing is poetic and thought-provoking, evoking a spectrum of emotions that range from heartwarming to heart-wrenching. As the story unfolds, players are drawn into a rollercoaster of feelings, forming a deep connection with the characters and their journeys.

The characters themselves are multi-dimensional and beautifully flawed, making them all the more relatable. Their interactions and relationships are a testament to the care and attention that went into crafting this narrative. The choices players make carry significant weight, shaping the direction of the story and the fate of the characters. This level of agency adds a layer of personal investment that is truly commendable.

Accompanying the narrative is a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack that complements the emotional beats of the game perfectly. The music, like a gentle whisper, guides players through moments of joy, sadness, and introspection, further enhancing the immersive experience.

Goodbye Volcano High not only tells a compelling story but also sparks important conversations about self-discovery, change, and the uncertainties that come with growing up. It's a game that resonates with players of all ages, inviting them to reflect on their own life experiences and aspirations.

In conclusion, Goodbye Volcano High is a poignant masterpiece that transcends the boundaries of traditional gaming. Its exceptional storytelling, breathtaking visuals, and evocative soundtrack come together to create an experience that lingers in the heart and mind long after the credits roll. It's a must-play for anyone seeking a truly emotional and unforgettable journey in the world of interactive storytelling.

10/10

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Wasn’t the whole thing about Brokeback Mountain showing that even “tough” men like cowboys can be gay, since their sexual orientation doesn’t define them? So your local alpha cop, your gym buddy pumping iron can be gay as well - and that’s fine, since this is only a part of who they are.

That was almost 20 years ago and it seems to me like the world has regressed - now we are back to clear signals someone is gay/cis/trans and their whole being defined by their sex or gender identity. How is that different than stigmatising whole groups of population?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Has nothing to do with hating as much as the review will do with pandering. There aren’t many games like it, so it technically doesn’t have to be good to get a decent review score.
”Technically” it can’t get bad scores because no review outlet is gonna make the fatal mistake of scoring this badly and ruining their career over social media shitstorms and accusations of transphobia.
The bunch of people this game was targeted at will review it well, and they’ll be content enough with a positive user score.

I guess Edge should have the time for a review, since they didn’t get the code for Starfield.

Where on earth are the reviews for this game? Lazy journos are probably too busy playing Starfail.

-

Goodbye Volcano High is a truly remarkable and unforgettable experience that effortlessly weaves together captivating storytelling, stunning visuals, and a soul-stirring soundtrack. As a passionate gamer, I've had the pleasure of immersing myself in various narrative-driven games, but Goodbye Volcano High stands out as a masterpiece that resonates on a profoundly emotional level.

From the very first moment, the hand-drawn art style enchanted me. Every frame feels like a work of art, bringing the world of Volcano High to life in a way that feels both familiar and refreshingly unique. The character designs are not only visually captivating but also highly relatable, with each character's struggles, dreams, and growth portrayed in an authentic and meaningful manner.

What truly sets Goodbye Volcano High apart, however, is its narrative depth and emotional resonance. The game delves into the lives of its characters, exploring themes of identity, friendship, love, and the complexities of transitioning from one phase of life to another. The writing is poetic and thought-provoking, evoking a spectrum of emotions that range from heartwarming to heart-wrenching. As the story unfolds, players are drawn into a rollercoaster of feelings, forming a deep connection with the characters and their journeys.

The characters themselves are multi-dimensional and beautifully flawed, making them all the more relatable. Their interactions and relationships are a testament to the care and attention that went into crafting this narrative. The choices players make carry significant weight, shaping the direction of the story and the fate of the characters. This level of agency adds a layer of personal investment that is truly commendable.

Accompanying the narrative is a hauntingly beautiful soundtrack that complements the emotional beats of the game perfectly. The music, like a gentle whisper, guides players through moments of joy, sadness, and introspection, further enhancing the immersive experience.

Goodbye Volcano High not only tells a compelling story but also sparks important conversations about self-discovery, change, and the uncertainties that come with growing up. It's a game that resonates with players of all ages, inviting them to reflect on their own life experiences and aspirations.

In conclusion, Goodbye Volcano High is a poignant masterpiece that transcends the boundaries of traditional gaming. Its exceptional storytelling, breathtaking visuals, and evocative soundtrack come together to create an experience that lingers in the heart and mind long after the credits roll. It's a must-play for anyone seeking a truly emotional and unforgettable journey in the world of interactive storytelling.

10/10
"As an AI language model..."

TVexperto

The game is absolutely hideous. The hand-drawn art is so expressive and beautiful that it will make you want to gouge your eyes out. The character animations are so fluid and lifelike that they will make you want to vomit. The music is also incredible and it will perfectly set the tone for the game's emotional rollercoaster of boredom and annoyance.

The story is simply atrocious. It is funny in the way that a trainwreck is funny. It is heartwarming in the way that a root canal is heartwarming. It is thought-provoking in the way that a brick to the head is thought-provoking. The characters are all so well-developed and relatable that you will want to strangle them all.

The gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive. You mostly just walk around and talk to people, but the choices you make have no real impact on the story. You will never have to make difficult decisions that will shape Fang's relationships and their future.

darrylgorn

-

10/10

Needs a bit more vocal fry.

The game is absolutely hideous. The hand-drawn art is so expressive and beautiful that it will make you want to gouge your eyes out. The character animations are so fluid and lifelike that they will make you want to vomit. The music is also incredible and it will perfectly set the tone for the game's emotional rollercoaster of boredom and annoyance.

The story is simply atrocious. It is funny in the way that a trainwreck is funny. It is heartwarming in the way that a root canal is heartwarming. It is thought-provoking in the way that a brick to the head is thought-provoking. The characters are all so well-developed and relatable that you will want to strangle them all.

The gameplay is mind-numbingly repetitive. You mostly just walk around and talk to people, but the choices you make have no real impact on the story. You will never have to make difficult decisions that will shape Fang's relationships and their future.
Thanks for your service

I'm watching a streamer play the game. This is basically Kotaku as a furry game. The dialogues are painful. Life is Strange levels of painful. Wowzers, I'm totes cereal.

Full disclosure, the streamer I'm watching loved Snoot Game. He's not even angry at GVH, he's mostly... confused

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
The dialogues are painful.
This is partially what I mean about the pacing. Regardless of the actual quality of the writing, everyone is so laconic in their delivery that it really drags.

For a game that has very little interaction, it sure does feel like a chore to get through it.

Also the trophies don't even work properly.

Ulysses 31

If you're logged into your Google/YT account, yes.
You sure that's the case with browsers other than Chrome(/Firefox)? How would they know unless the external site or the browser sends them that info?

I watched the Volcano High trans clips and I'm not getting more such stuff recommended...👀

nowhat

You sure that's the case with browsers other than Chrome(/Firefox)? How would they know unless the external site or the browser sends them that info?

I watched the Volcano High trans clips and I'm not getting more such stuff recommended...👀
Browsers send that info. That's what "third-party cookies" are all about. Unless you disable them, of course.

FWIW though for something to end up in your history takes a bit more time when the video is embedded as opposed to viewing it on youtube.com, in my experience.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

starfield killer
From the review:
Characters whine limply that the asteroid has caused the cancelation of the local music festival when they should probably be more concerned that they may soon be violently wiped off the planet in a hail of fire. I can see what the writers were aiming at, but it just doesn’t quite fit.
Well, they captured today's youth perfectly I would say.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Has nothing to do with hating as much as the review will do with pandering. There aren’t many games like it, so it technically doesn’t have to be good to get a decent review score.

That's pure hating! You can act like if someone likes the game, that it automatically means they are pandering. Plus, you'd never call someone giving Starfield a 10 "pandering". If the game is decent or good, then it just means it's decent or good.

No reason to fight a score of a 80 if this game gets that. Outside of just pure hate.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
1. Make a game set in dinosaur world
2. Make everybody in it gay
3. End of story, the world is destroyed by a meteor

Do the devs really understand what they are saying here?

This was the Love project of a pedophile and a group of yes-mxn who threw a social justice coup on their leader, only to take the frame of the vision and eviscerate what few good (ha) ideas that were there in the first place. What's left in it's wake is a buzzword salad penned by people trying to usurp the hierarchy of the woke.

Edit: That is to say, I doubt there was a creative throughline that was followed throughout the dev shakeup other than "It needs to have furries and be filled with SJWisms,"

Last edited:

John Bilbo

I think there's a lot of ironic 10 out of 10's. This game is getting reverse review bombed 😂
Could be. But there's only 209 reviews so far on Steam.

For comparison Armored Core VI has 22 844 reviews on Steam.

Not a fair comparison though as Armored Core launched four days earlier than Goodbye Volcano High.

siyJ0KR.png
kc1hWHl.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom