• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY 2014 (and beyond) Rules and Nominated Games Discussion Thread

THIS IS NOT A VOTING THREAD

For several years, Cheesemeister and I have wanted to simplify the ruleset for the GAF's annual GOTY Awards. We thank everyone for their participation in voicing their opinions on the issue.
We have determined a set of rule changes that will simplify the process and make it clearer what is eligible and what is not. Below are the main points of the new system.

----------------------

All playable content released in 2014 is eligible to be voted on.
This includes remasters, ports, rereleases, expansion packs, DLC, and episodic content. The key word is playable. Mario Kart 8 DLC Pack 1 is eligible. Horse Armor is not.

Note: "Early Access" titles, betas, etc. are not officially released and are not eligible.

Only NEW playable content is eligible for GOTY Rankings and Genre Award consideration.
This means that remasters, ports, and rereleases will not be included in the Top 20, the GOTY Rankings, or Genre Award listings.
However, this rereleased content will be eligible for Platform Awards, as well as a specific "Yesteryear" Top 10 that will list the best remasters, ports, and rereleases of the year.

Note: Titles that are localized for new territories on their original platform(s) are eligible in the year they are released for that territory.

LTTP voting is discontinued.
We weren't getting particularly useful data from this. If you want the best games of last year, check last year's GOTY Awards thread.

As always, the full data will be made available.
Self-explanatory. We always do this. So if you want to interpret the data in a way that helps you sleep better, you're welcome to do so.

----------------------

Simple, right?

With that out of the way, CHECK OUT THIS YEAR'S GAME NOMINEE SPREADSHEET: SPREADSHEET HERE

As with last year, we'd like to get your comments and questions regarding the spreadsheet. Please post them here so we can get everything as prepared as possible for this year's GOTY voting. We're still pruning and populating the list, but be sure to let us know if something is amiss.

Voting for GOTY 2014 will begin (in its own thread) on December 16th and will run til January 16th.

Since the spreadsheet is still being prepared, guess that's explain why it's missing JP only games and some games that finally came to EU this year like SMT IV. But I wonder why FF Type-0 is listed in it?

Since the spreadsheet is still being prepared, guess that's explain why it's missing JP only games and some games that finally came to EU this year like SMT IV. But I wonder why FF Type-0 is listed in it?

This thread is a good place to mention these types of games. If you have specific examples of games you don't see listed, please post them.
Type-0 is listed because a fan translation was made available for it this year.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Do ports with added content (like Raiden IV: Overkill or Caladrius Blaze) fall under that "port" category or is that enough to count as "new content"?

Edit: I also want to say that I really liked the LTTP vote, so I'm sad that's gone now.

DJIzana

This thread is a good place to mention these types of games. If you have specific examples of games you don't see listed, please post them.

They mentioned why it is listed in it. The HD version comes out 2015. The original Type-0 came out 2011.

In any case... I already know my pick for GOTY. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Do ports with added content (like Raiden IV: Overkill or Caladrius Blaze) fall under that "port" category or is that enough to count as "new content"?

Edit: I also want to say that I really liked the LTTP vote, so I'm sad that's gone now.

You stole my post word by word. Raiden IV Overkill feels very different in comparison with vanilla Raiden IV. Adding 2 new levels to a 5-level game is rather substantial. The same goes for Caladrius Blaze.

If there is substantial new playable content and it's a new release then it will be treated like a new release.

Nestunt

A very informative and clear criteria page, and I see why you chose to go this route. It really makes years comparable through time.

Notwithstanding, I would rather see Games comparable through time, ie, let every game be nominated (even Ocarina of Time or Bushido Blade), and trust that people will only vote on games that they PLAYED during 2014. That would give us a more important information about which games survived the test of time (like a great piece of art) and end many demagogic nostalgia comments.

I know. In the past we did not have this approach I am suggesting. But democracy is a fairly recent socio-political organization and nobody is sad about it not being comparable to kingdoms or dictatorships of the past.

All in all, I like that the rules are clear and we can move on. Just chiming in.

may the best 2014 release win =)

Type-0 is listed because a fan translation was made available for it this year.

So fan translations are available for voting then? Does this mean that Type 0 will not be eligible next year, since it was technically made available in English this year?

A very informative and clear criteria page, and I see why you chose to go this route. It really makes years comparable through time.

Notwithstanding, I would rather see Games comparable through time, ie, let every game be nominated (even Ocarina of Time or Bushido Blade), and trust that people will only vote on games that they PLAYED during 2014. That would give us a more important information about which games survived the test of time (like a great piece of art) and end many demagogic nostalgia comments.

I know. It the past we did not have this approach I am suggesting. But democracy is a fairly recent socio-political organization and nobody is sad about it not being comparable to kingdoms or dictatorships of the past.

All in all, I like that the rules are clear and we can move on. Just chiming in.

may the best 2014 release win =)

If you're going to turn it into a GOTF thread, then it will be treated as such, nobody's going to hold to that

(such a thread would be....interesting, to say the least, if anyone actually dares to do it lol)

So fan translations are available for voting then? Does this mean that Type 0 will not be eligible next year, since it was technically made available in English this year?

We have a mod-supplied, specific list of eligible fan translations, and all of those games are in the spreadsheet now. Type 0 will be eligible next year.

Nestunt

If you're going to turn it into a GOTF thread, then it will be treated as such, nobody's going to hold to that

(such a thread would be....interesting, to say the least, if anyone actually dares to do it lol)

Yeah yeah, I know. I understand the focus on calendar year releases. It is more parsimonious. Then again, with my suggestion there wouldnt be a need for these clarifications (lol). I get it, but I would love to see this tried somewhere. I am a huge fan of sports, and me and my friends always feel that our discussions about the quality of athletes reach a structural impasse because of players' retirement (you cant compare Pele with Messi or Michael with Wilt). But in art you can (books, movies, even games)

tim.mbp

How are Early Access games fitting in? Specifically, Crypt of the NecroDancer which is very much playable but not complete. If I vote for it this year does that preclude me from voting for it next year?

How are Early Access games fitting in? Specifically, Crypt of the NecroDancer which is very much playable but not complete. If I vote for it this year does that preclude me from voting for it next year?

Similar to previous years...
If it's not released, it's not eligible. Early Access games do not count as "released" titles. Thank you for the question, I added the answer to it in the OP.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
iOS is hard to keep track of but 80 Days is deserving of a spot on the spreadsheet. It's getting some end of the year love (Time's GOTY) and it'll probably be on my list if I bother doing one.

That link is reminded me of Monument Valley iOS/Android...

Not sure if this one would count, but Shin Megami Tensei 1 was released officially in English for the first time this year on iOS.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A few things i've noticed while looking through it:

Bayonetta 1 missing (re-release)
The Last of Us - Left Behind missing (first release)
Massive Chalice is only in Early Access at the moment
The Golf Club exists twice
The Walking Dead: Season Two - Episodes 2-5 three times
The Wolf Among Us Episodes 2-5 twice
Tropico 5 twice
Valiant Hearts: The Great War twice
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z twice
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire three times
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes three times
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor three times
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft three times
Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse twice
Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse twice
Civilization Revolution 2 twice

Should Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Super Smash Bros. Wii U be counted differently? I did not do that for the E3 votings, because to me one is an enhanced port of the other and still the same game but the way people vote it seems that people want them separate.

Should Super Smash Bros. 3DS and Super Smash Bros. Wii U be counted differently? I did not do that for the E3 votings, because to me one is an enhanced port of the other and still the same game but the way people vote it seems that people want them separate.

They're different games, I'd say. They share the same foundation, but if they have unique content from each other, and they do, I'm not sure why they'd be listed as the same game.

A few things i've noticed while looking through it:

Thanks for the missing stuff. I added it in, and removed Massive Chalice.

Don't worry about the duplicates. You'll notice the duplicates include text in the "parser" column. This allows us to combine titles that are similar but not identical into one item.

The two Smash versions have significant content and gameplay differences so they're counted separately.

Levyne

Banned
This thread reminds me I need to finalize my list. I think it has actually mostly fallen into place more neatly than I anticipated.

Kritz

Banned
I have a question about Sportsfriends.

Is sportsfriends considered a game, or a collection of games? Do we vote for Sportsfriends, or for Johann Sebastian Joust / Pole Riders / etc individually?

Also, neither Sportsfriends or the individual games are in the spreadsheet yet.

I have a question about Sportsfriends.

Is sportsfriends considered a game, or a collection of games? Do we vote for Sportsfriends, or for Johann Sebastian Joust / Pole Riders / etc individually?

Also, neither Sportsfriends or the individual games are in the spreadsheet yet.

I've added Sportsfriends. Collections are listed together unless also sold separately, as with FFX and X-2.

Regiruler

If I voted for the metal gear rising PC port for last year's GOTY voting because the voting took place so late, will I be able to vote it's status as a port for the yesteryear voting?

EDIT: Thought it was a separate tally. I would assume the basic "can't vote for something you've already voted for" still applies.

Tizoc

So will re-releases and the like be their own category?

i'M bummed that LTTP category is being removed, as I wanted to nominate DmC 2013 =/

edit: at work so I can't access all links but can you please add Gunhound EX to the list?
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/273240/

Note that the PC ver. is its first time being released in English, at least far as I know.

If I voted for the metal gear rising PC port for last year's GOTY voting because the voting took place so late, will I be able to vote it's status as a port for the yesteryear voting?

EDIT: Thought it was a separate tally. I would assume the basic "can't vote for something you've already voted for" still applies.

The PC version was not eligible last year, but is this year. Your vote would've been counted for the PS3/360 versions only. If you voted for something last year, use your better judgment and please refrain from voting for it again.

Zia

I think you guys handled the remasters issue really well. Good job.

The Sailor's Dream and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball are a couple games that will show up on a few GotY lists (Edit: that are both missing from the spreadsheet).

I think you guys handled the remasters issue really well. Good job.

The Sailor's Dream and Rusty's Real Deal Baseball are a couple games that will show up on a few GotY lists (Edit: that are both missing from the spreadsheet).

Both of those are in the spreadsheet now. Thank you!

I think this really works out well for episodic games like Kentucky Route Zero which had new playable content this year, but is not "finished" making it ineligible last year.

Always happy to see things made simpler. I trust GAF to be smart when voting.

LTTP voting is discontinued.
We weren't getting particularly useful data from this. If you want the best games of last year, check last year's GOTY Awards thread.

I gotta say, I am saddened by this, even if the results were always rather wild like you said.
La Mulana wins by default then.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, would the halo 5 beta count then? seems odd.

nm, glossed over that line.

bigkrev

Stein's Gate was commercially released for the first time in English on PC this year, and is not on the list

I know that Threes is a better game, but I noticed that 2048 wasn't on the list....

Also, no Peggle Blast

Could do please explain the reasoning in the scoring?
this one:

1. Game A ; 4 points
2. Game B ; 3 points
3. Game C ; 3 points
4. Game D ; 2 points
5. Game E ; 2 points
6. Game F ; 2 points
7. Game G ; 1 point
8. Game H ; 1 point
9. Game I ; 1 point
10. Game J ; 1 point

I don't understand why so little differentiation between rankings (2nd being the same as 3rd), and the first one getting so few points, it's your favorite game after all...

Top Bottom