• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY 2014 (and beyond) Rules and Nominated Games Discussion Thread

Kurtofan

Bravely Default came out in December 2013 in Europe and 2014 in America, can I still vote for it if I'm from Europe?

I'm honestly surprised to see The Binding of Isaac Rebirth go up as a port/remaster considering it's a complete remake with a wealth of new content. The game is far from a cursory upport.

Why don't I see Soul Sacrifice Delta? What's the problem?

Just my personal vendetta against the game.

Seriously though, the list isn't comprehensive. If something is clearly eligible by fitting within the rules, you can safely vote for it. The parser will still pick it up.

Oreoleo

So by the new rules Payday 2 DLC should be eligible, no? Shadow Raid, Big Bank, Hotline Miami, Hoxton Breakout, Xmas Heist, and The Diamond. All new playable content that released this year.

CrovaxPSO

Yes, that's fine.

Awesome. If I'm going to include Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss (5pb/Mages, Vita), which just got announced for localization under a different title (Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy), which title should I use?

If you wanted to add them to the list, the other imports on my list are Flowers (Innocent Grey, PC/Vita/PSP), and New LovePlus + (Konami, 3DS) but I don't think it has enough new content to count as a new release.

So by the new rules Payday 2 DLC should be eligible, no? Shadow Raid, Big Bank, Hotline Miami, Hoxton Breakout, Xmas Heist, and The Diamond. All new playable content that released this year.

Yes. List it as Payday 2 DLC.

Awesome. If I'm going to include Tokyo New World Record: Operation Abyss (5pb/Mages, Vita), which just got announced for localization under a different title (Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy), which title should I use?

If you wanted to add them to the list, the other imports on my list are Flowers (Innocent Grey, PC/Vita/PSP), and New LovePlus + (Konami, 3DS) but I don't think it has enough new content to count as a new release.

Generally it's easiest if you use the localized title, which makes future comparison easiest. But it shouldn't matter as we can pair them up anyway.

New LovePlus+ will be listed as a rerelease.

Liking the rules this year. Seem simplified and achieve the goal of letting people vote for the stuff that was new to them (i.e. in their region, platform, and language) this past year, while reserving the awards for the true new releases. Nice job!

In terms of missing titles: beyond the Hexcells titles, there's also Kero Blaster (PC/iOS, Studio Pixel), Monument Valley (iOS/And, Ustwo), Framed (iOS, Loveshack), and Twodots (iOS/And, BetaWorks) as prominent mobile titles that might get some attention.

Though they are both so similar perhaps they should be considered one item.

All three Hexcells games are separate games that are bought individually, so I don't see any reason they'd be lumped together.

Thanks, charlequin! I really wanted to make the rules simpler and also avoid as much of the "is it eligible?" arguments, while still highlighting the new stuff of 2014. I'm glad it seems to be working so well for people.

I added the titles you listed, as well.

Liking the rules this year. Seem simplified and achieve the goal of letting people vote for the stuff that was new to them (i.e. in their region, platform, and language) this past year, while reserving the awards for the true new releases. Nice job!

Thanks, we tried. I've been pleasantly surprised at the lack of complaints over cutting LTTP.

Liking the rules this year. Seem simplified and achieve the goal of letting people vote for the stuff that was new to them (i.e. in their region, platform, and language) this past year, while reserving the awards for the true new releases.
Agreed on the larger point, it's nice to have the opportunity to vote for pretty much anything released this year.
Since I didn't see my specific concern addressed, and I totally have a horse in that race, I'm still of the opinion something like BoI: Rebirth should be counted as new content considering it essentially rolls up a very large, new expansion into a remake.
Not that it will prevent my voting, obviously.

In terms of missing titles: beyond the Hexcells titles, there's also Kero Blaster (PC/iOS, Studio Pixel), Monument Valley (iOS/And, Ustwo), Framed (iOS, Loveshack), and Twodots (iOS/And, BetaWorks) as prominent mobile titles that might get some attention.
Thanks for that, I actually have 2 contenders there and hadn't noticed they were missing.

Oreoleo

Yes. List it as Payday 2 DLC.
Ah okay. I thought it would be odd to have a different entry for each individual DLC. What an elegant solution :p

All three Hexcells games are separate games that are bought individually, so I don't see any reason they'd be lumped together.

True enough, and I don't mean to belabor the point but since the mechanics and UI are identical they almost seem like level packs rather than separate games to me. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

True enough, and I don't mean to belabor the point but since the mechanics and UI are identical they almost seem like level packs rather than separate games to me. Not that that is necessarily a bad thing.

Well sufficiently content-rich level packs are eligible too!

Yo could I get this list? Or maybe add an extra column indicator in the spreadsheet?

They're all in the spreadsheet already, but:

Code:
Game				Platform	Genre		Publisher
============================================================================
Lagrange Point			NES		RPG		Konami
Megami Tensei			NES		RPG		Namco
Sansara Naga			NES		RPG		Victor Interactive
Wizardry Gaiden 2		GB		RPG		ASCII
Wizardry Gaiden 3		GB		RPG		ASCII
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei		SNES		RPG		Atlus	
Chaos Seed			SNES		ARPG/Strategy	Taito
Record of Lodoss War		SNES		RPG		ESP