• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

Renozokii

D.

Way too many shooters.

Too much CGI

Not enough gameplay

THEY DIDNT RE-REVEAL HALO SP.

STARFIELD no gameplay

NO HELLBLADE

No in depth gameplay deep dives for ANYTHING BUT FORZA.

Come on.

Changing my rating to

F.
Yessir. I was more generous than you but if you made a list of things we didn’t want to see from Microsoft we saw almost all of it.

Ezquimacore

Banned
at this point nintendo just need to show zelda to win this bitch. So they're not going to do it and we are going to be disappointed one more time.
maxresdefault.jpg

Larvana

L

Lol, everyone hates Jim Ryan because he's a liar. But anyway, if that were the case then so what? Does that make Xbox showcase better? Or as equally bad? Phill and Jym Ryan must go, they are such incompetent people.
Phil shouldn't go, If it weren't for him xbox WOULDN'T be where it's at, nor would it be around today. So about that, no.

skit_data

I voted B.

Solid show, but many of the interesting releases are far off and most of the stuff they showed were multiplats and timed exclusives.

Forza Horizon 5 was the only thing that I personally felt ”Damn, that’s impressive” about.

They spent way too much time on FO76 and the fact that they even mentioned Skyrim was a complete waste of precious time IMO.

Edit: Also, ending with Red Fall was probably the worst ”... and one more thing”-moment ever. What were they thinking?

Edit 2: Actually the more I think about it I am leaning more towards a C. It was a good games showcase but it was generally pretty weak in terms of Xbox own first party studios. I generally won’t take into account multiplats when judging a Sony showcase and when removing all multiplats and timed exclusives it was a pretty weak showing for XGS outside of Forza Horizon 5.

Last edited:
Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure they totally bought Sega, Kojima Productions, Netherrealm and Probably EA too, so it must have been a banger of a showing, right?

right....?

Smoke6

I give it a C the halo multiplayer looked good to me and what I remember playing from last halos!

mother than that the games most were all looking forward to won’t be coming til 23-26

Larvana

Yep. Horizon pretty much saved their conference but if they had star citizen next gen gameplay they wouldve easily won E3. It's so important to do gameplay demos. Sony showed this back in 2015 and 2016. You HAVE to show up with vertical slices.

The fact that none of these games were present in gameplay form after being shown last year is very troubling. like what were these studios doing all last year?

- Fable
- Perfect Dark
- State of Decay
- Everwild
- Forza 7
- Avowed
- Hellblade 2

If I was Phil, i would fire the heads of each of those studios and replace them with devs from Sony studios and other productive Japanese studios like Capcom's RE team and From Software. Pay them millions if you have to. But get these fucking games out.
Uhhh, no thanks lol. I think you need to realize how people are working at home and delays are BOUND to happen.

Last edited:
I gave the show a solid B. I like how Microsoft finally said and put the final nail in the coffin bethesda games are xbox exclusives. My biggest gripe is there was way too many games they mentioned in the past that they didn't show anything for. Hell blade 2, Stalker 2, Cross fire X, Everwild, etc.

Akuji

Uhhh, no thanks lol. I think you need to realize how people are working at home and delays are BOUND to happen.
Xbox had alot of problems ( probably pretty much all of them actually ) way before Covid. Sure Delays are bound to happen. Everyone delays, even without a pandemic but xbox studios really taking alot of time for Games and then dont deliver quite often. Horizon Motorsport / Horizon is the exeption. Those 2 always deliver.

DeepSpace5D

I’d give it a C, or 7/10.

The good

-Tons of stuff coming to Gamepass, reinforcing the value it offers.

-Psychonauts 2 looks great, Stalker 2 is promising, some indies like Replaced look great.

-Forza Horizon visuals are impressive especially the RT reflections.

-Flight Sim out this year on consoles

Not so good:

-Starfield and Halo, the two I wanted to see most, were the biggest disappointments. Starfield out next year, do you think they could show any gameplay yet? Halo was delayed, but no progress update or showing of the campaign. These were the two biggest bummers of the show.

-Redfall was a weird closer to the show with no gameplay.

-Some of the expansion stuff dragged down the show a bit for me, for example Fallout 76, Sea of Thieves, and Elder Scrolls Online content.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
C.

Stalker looked good , but there was nothing there that had me rushing to see how much I could pick a Series X up for.

Gave it a B; some surprising omissions (no more Bright Memory Infinite gameplay, nothing gameplay for The Gunk etc.) and no massive third-party GamePass announcments (well, in and of themselves), and I have to comb through the Halo Infinite footage to ascertain things and warm up to Red Fall. Still not enough variety in Japanese games or genres like fighters, either. Also, Microsoft? Pipe the leakers the fuck UP. I'm tuning these "insiders" out from here on.

Aside that though? Lots of strong stuff. Starfield looks interesting, def want to learn more about it. Plague's Tale 2 looks fantastic, have 100% faith in that seeing Asobo's developing it. STALKER 2 looks amazing; I was only mildly interested before but now I'm very much interested. Same goes for that one Russian game where they were blasting techno music for xD; Russian sci-fi is underrated, just watch some of their films for some great stuff ;). That cyberpunk The Last Night-looking game actually looks better than that game, tho more dystopian, I'll be on the lookout for it. The Top Gun content for FS 2020 should be really fun, too, I'm hoping for dogfights to bring some Ace Combat feels to it ;)

But the main standout in all of that was definitely Forza Horizon 5. Hands down, that's one of the best-looking games in the works right now, and will be for sure when it comes out later this year. It feels like some of the fidelity in that UE5 demo from last year is already making its way into reality for some games, including FH5, and it's only been a year since that demo! That and the game just looks flat-out fun, and it's an arcade-style racer which is also cool.

Also, this might piss some folks off but IMO FH5 looks well better than Gran Turismo 7, like the gulf between them visually is pretty big, despite both being cross-gen games and FH5 being open-world. And I say that after being impressed with GT7 last year at the PlayStation conference. All that, knowing that Forza Motorsport will in all likelihood look even better and be current-gen only, it's gonna be interesting to see if Gran Turismo can keep up visuals and quality/gameplay-wise with the Forza series this gen because IMHO Forza is pulling way ahead on those fronts (even if Gran Turismo very likely continues to be the more popular of the two IPs). FH5 also shows why Sony maybe should've kept Driveclub going; would've made a great competitor for Forza Horizon series tbh if they kept continuing with it.

So yeah, a very solid B for me for those reasons. I hope some of the other things, like the rumored Kojima partnership project, and maybe some new stuff they're co-funding with Japanese developers in particular, is still true and we find out more throughout the year. Now onto the Square-Enix conference....

Astral Dog

Honestly this conference makes me want to pick a PS5, i see a lot of headlines but little that interest me, still no rush so just gonna see how GamePass evolves. If it weren't for that service i would not be interested on an Xbox but Microsoft has one hell of a hook

xrnzaaas

Deserves a solid 7/10. No bullshit, just the trailers. Stalker 2 is by far my favorite, but several others including Atomic Heart and Plague Tale 2 looked very cool as well. Also nice to hear we're getting Diablo 2 in September.

The final game should've been something bigger, because it definitely lacked the punch especially with no actual gameplay. Starfield has still basically shown nothing, no Hellblade, FM and TES6 was also disappointing. Just make something short to remind people they're still being made (other than Phil Spencer saying that).

Mr.ODST

The usual GP fodder (Beth old catalogue) and the rumors were once again all fake. Fanboys and Grubb tried to create fake hype because they knew there was no megaton at all.

I'm happy about Horizon 5 and I'll try Yakuza later on GP. Halo Infinite is just there. It will probably be delayed. Psychonauts 2 I think I was a backer so I was getting it anyway on Playstation? I'll check my emails.

And Slimy was saying MS were going to save the industry because Sony is MIA lol. Go hide.
So is Back4Blood GP fodder or you chatting absolute shit like usual

Phil shouldn't go, If it weren't for him xbox WOULDN'T be where it's at, nor would it be around today. So about that, no.
I guess some people can't see incompetence. Xbox is nowhere today, they have survived because Microsoft has money to throw.

Tell me what great games has Phill delivered in his 7 years at the helm of Xbox

I love how the Sony fanbois bemoan that there aren’t games, Microsoft shows a metric s***ton of games, including a lot of updates for existing free to play games that are great (e.g. Sea of Thieves) and a good cache of games for 2021, and now they move the goal(posts) because Microsoft pretty much showed up and showed out.

The worst once could objectively give this conference is a B+; anything less and there’s a hypocritical fanboi agenda behind it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I love how the Sony fanbois bemoan that there aren’t games, Microsoft shows a metric s***ton of games, including a lot of updates for existing free to play games that are great (e.g. Sea of Thieves) and a good cache of games for 2021, and now they move the goal(posts) because Microsoft pretty much showed up and showed out.

The worst once could objectively give this conference is a B+; anything less and there’s a hypocritical fanboi agenda behind it.
fanboi? I can't take anyone who says that seriously.

Elog

Forza looked great but that is as expected tbh. No halo single-player. Many games MIA. Not a bad show but not particularly great either. Really liked the art direction of Starfield. Very little gameplay. No megaton at all.

Apart from that many games come to GP, it was a show that was very light on actual content imo. Solid C. MS needed to do better with a new console, not a single exclusive first party yet and all those deals that have been made. It is clear that the pipeline is dryer than it should be.

Topher

Gold Member

Objectively? Objectively, it was a show that showed games. The quality of those games and the presentation itself is an opinion and thus, entirely subjective.

As far as a "fanboy agendas", this a video gaming forum. Throw a rock in any direction and you are bound to hit a fanboy with an agenda.

Rock No GIF by Festival du nouveau cinéma MTL

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Pretty good.. Horizon 5 looks dope, will be playing that for sure. Wife is excited for Flight Simulator.. might finally check out Hades.

And I'm eternally excited for Starfield, and completely un-shocked it's 2022.

Neil Young

Solid B. Knowing that all those titles are coming to gamepass and I don't have to buy them outright is beyond awesome. I also like to see the support for current titles I enjoy (76, grounded, and Elder Scrolls Online). I wish we got a glimpse of Fable. Also, does every other game protagonist have to be the poster child for diversity? Can we just have an average white or black person (poc)?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I don't have an XBX and have no interest in getting one (given that everything is on PC anyway) but that was a solid B- show in terms of games shown, and C for midling MS exclusive content. Way too many titles coming more than a year away which is always annoying when anyone does it (still no idea of release for Horizon or GoW). Starfield dropping Nov. next year is unsurprising, as was Spencer burying the lede about Starfield exclusivity.

skit_data

Gave it a B; some surprising omissions (no more Bright Memory Infinite gameplay, nothing gameplay for The Gunk etc.) and no massive third-party GamePass announcments (well, in and of themselves), and I have to comb through the Halo Infinite footage to ascertain things and warm up to Red Fall. Still not enough variety in Japanese games or genres like fighters, either. Also, Microsoft? Pipe the leakers the fuck UP. I'm tuning these "insiders" out from here on.

Aside that though? Lots of strong stuff. Starfield looks interesting, def want to learn more about it. Plague's Tale 2 looks fantastic, have 100% faith in that seeing Asobo's developing it. STALKER 2 looks amazing; I was only mildly interested before but now I'm very much interested. Same goes for that one Russian game where they were blasting techno music for xD; Russian sci-fi is underrated, just watch some of their films for some great stuff ;). That cyberpunk The Last Night-looking game actually looks better than that game, tho more dystopian, I'll be on the lookout for it. The Top Gun content for FS 2020 should be really fun, too, I'm hoping for dogfights to bring some Ace Combat feels to it ;)

But the main standout in all of that was definitely Forza Horizon 5. Hands down, that's one of the best-looking games in the works right now, and will be for sure when it comes out later this year. It feels like some of the fidelity in that UE5 demo from last year is already making its way into reality for some games, including FH5, and it's only been a year since that demo! That and the game just looks flat-out fun, and it's an arcade-style racer which is also cool.

Also, this might piss some folks off but IMO FH5 looks well better than Gran Turismo 7, like the gulf between them visually is pretty big, despite both being cross-gen games and FH5 being open-world. And I say that after being impressed with GT7 last year at the PlayStation conference. All that, knowing that Forza Motorsport will in all likelihood look even better and be current-gen only, it's gonna be interesting to see if Gran Turismo can keep up visuals and quality/gameplay-wise with the Forza series this gen because IMHO Forza is pulling way ahead on those fronts (even if Gran Turismo very likely continues to be the more popular of the two IPs). FH5 also shows why Sony maybe should've kept Driveclub going; would've made a great competitor for Forza Horizon series tbh if they kept continuing with it.

So yeah, a very solid B for me for those reasons. I hope some of the other things, like the rumored Kojima partnership project, and maybe some new stuff they're co-funding with Japanese developers in particular, is still true and we find out more throughout the year. Now onto the Square-Enix conference....
Well, I too was very impressed by Forza Horizon 5 but it’s been a year since GT7 was shown and I expect it to look better the next time we see it. Looks like Horizon 5 is closer to release than GT7 as well now. I expect it to be closer to the final product than GT7 was a year ago.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
LOL how is it not an A? Look at the track record of most of the developers who showed off games. And all those games are coming to Gamepass. Do you guys/gals not like games that will most likely review in the 80's and 90's on Metacritic? and on top of that getting them for free?
I found almost none of the games impressive. How did you get gamepass for free?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
B

A lot of good things but nothing I’m dying to play that’s coming soon other then Forza Horizon. I thought they would show Halo single player after it got trashed last year. Puzzling why they did not.

There are a lot of things hitting Game Pass that I am interested in checking out like Flight Sim and Age of Empires. There’s a lot of good things in the pipeline, just nothing that made me go “wow” yet outside of Forza.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
So is Back4Blood GP fodder or you chatting absolute shit like usual
I don't care about Left4Dead and those kinds of game (Evolve was bought and deleted the same day). I get bored very quickly. I'll play a couple of matches because I have GP but it will be deleted fast.

Thanks for asking 😍

Top Bottom