• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grade the Microsoft Conference

Grade the Microsoft conference

• A

Votes: 266 24.1%
  • B

Votes: 373 33.8%
  • C

Votes: 336 30.5%
  • D

Votes: 128 11.6%

• Total voters

RoboFu

One of the green rats
C from me. No big wow moments. Mostly what everyone was guessing. No ES shown. Shooters shooters shooters.

Nubulax

To the end of 2021 they will have launched Gears Tactics, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite.
So two games that were on PC 6 months and 1 year before the console...a game that will most likely show up on PS4/PS5 later, and 2 Cross Gen Gen releases? Def not the "No games" that is always thrown around but its an ok first year

Matsuchezz

B-
It was not that great it did not suck. It did not make me want to buy an XsX. They were available at walmart the other day and I was going to buy it just because it was right there. But i self contained. Really no my cup of tea the games that are available at the moment.

LOL how is it not an A? Look at the track record of most of the developers who showed off games. And all those games are coming to Gamepass. Do you guys/gals not like games that will most likely review in the 80's and 90's on Metacritic? and on top of that getting them for free?

They can’t admit that for fear someone will come and take their scalper-obtained PS5 away, especially as there’s no Sony equivalent to GamePass.

It was a great lineup, one that certainly sells the Series X and GamePass. If they would had made with the single player Halo content, it easily would have been an A.

Alx

Voted A. The games themselves gave me a B+ feeling, based on the likelihood I'll enjoy them (some seem great, some ok-ish, some intriguing, few feel like a "must have" for me), but the fact that most of them are on gamepass means I'll be able to try them all, avoid disappointment and probably will get a few good surprises. So the general package is great.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
They can’t admit that for fear someone will come and take their scalper-obtained PS5 away, especially as there’s no Sony equivalent to GamePass.

It was a great lineup, one that certainly sells the Series X and GamePass. If they would had made with the single player Halo content, it easily would have been an A.
How does it sell the series X? I don't need an xbox to play those games.

rapid32.5

GamePass delivers all 3rd party games I want, solid lineup this holiday, 2022 when next gen truly starts for all. Expected additional Dev acquisitions for an A- but it's a B.

Last edited:
I found almost none of the games impressive. How did you get gamepass for free?

Sorry I keep forgetting. Not everyone signed up for the crazy Gold to GPU conversion. It feels like free for most of us. If you beat like 10-15 games on gamepass then you already got your money's worth of 2-3 years of games

That's fine that you don't like those games. You dont' have to like them. I'm just letting you now most of them are probably going to be critically acclaimed by the people that do play them. So when you put things in perspective of the simple baseline of will the games showed off actually be good? The answer is its highly likely that they will be good

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sorry I keep forgetting. Not everyone signed up for the crazy Gold to GPU conversion. It feels like free for most of us. If you beat like 10-15 games on gamepass then you already got your money's worth of 2-3 years of games

That's fine that you don't like those games. You dont' have to like them. I'm just letting you now most of them are probably going to be critically acclaimed by the people that do play them. So when you put things in perspective of the simple baseline of will the games showed off actually be good? The answer is its highly likely that they will be good
Don't get me wrong there was a handful of games that looked good and I'll play. I'm a subscriber of gamepass myself (PC). The conference lacked sizzle for me. There are games for sure. Only a few are to my taste. I'd also say as far as "surprises" go they were super lacking. What didn't we know about? What's up with Gears? Hellbalde? They couldn't even mention them?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I gave it an A-. There are SOOOO many games I want to play and they're all Day 1 on Game Pass. For me the one misstep was ending it with that Arkane game. It looks a lot more appealing than Deathloop, but it's hardly a "one more thing" game. Now if it had been Prey 2, I would have given the show an A+++

It is unfortunate that many of the Sony Super Fans were so disappointed in the show. I'm sure all of their low grades and criticisms are absolutely genuine and not trolling. 🤣

dyergram

I expected less games with more focus. Long halo dive long star field dive and a game pass montage. They showed a lot of games which is weird because it was a different ‘lot of games’ to the ones they showed last year that haven’t released yet. Starfeild looked really early (especially since it’s been in development for 25 years lol) halo seemed ok I guess pvp looked fun age of empires looked cool. Outside of that pretty mediocre show imo I can’t believe there are Xbox insider dudes who hyped this to high heaven honestly tweeting about 2023 line ups now lol.

unless u want to dock them for showing everything ever that they are working on...and thus making the conference 3 hours long. Can't be anything less than an A

Foilz

Banned
B- or 75/100

+Lots of gamepass stuff
+Forza
+Halo mp
+Diable 2
-No Megatons
-No info about franchises we want to see
-Full of gamepass filler games
-It was more of an ad for game pass than Xbox
-Nothing mind-blowing or Day one other including starfield
-complete disappointment and after acquiring 23 studios you have NOTHiNG to show or tease.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
B-/ or 75/100

+Lots of gamepass stuff
+Forza
+Halo mp
+Diable 2
-No Megatons
-No info about franchises we want to see
-Full of gamepass filler games
-It was more of an ad for game pass than Xbox
-Nothing mind-blowing or Day one other including starfield
-complete disappointment and after acquiring 23 studios you have NOTHiNG to show or tease.
You're a bit more generous than me but this sums it up nicely I feel.

93xfan

Banned
Great show, probably MS' best ever showing. I don't believe in perfect scores, but it was very good.

Best since the 360 era.

I can understand hoping to see Starfield in action. No shock announcements or even a Halo infinite beta.

But Halo, Flight Sim and Forza looked awesome, as did so many other games that are coming to Gamepass. To me it was an A- while I watched it.

After seeing it, I’m thinking about the crazy rumors, such as starfield this year or a Kojima game or BF6 on Gamepass day one or some studio acquisitions. Those would’ve been cool, but I really love what I did see

S0ULZB0URNE

I gave it an A-. There are SOOOO many games I want to play and they're all Day 1 on Game Pass. For me the one misstep was ending it with that Arkane game. It looks a lot more appealing than Deathloop, but it's hardly a "one more thing" game. Now if it had been Prey 2, I would have given the show an A+++

It is unfortunate that many of the Sony Super Fans were so disappointed in the show. I'm sure all of their low grades and criticisms are absolutely genuine and not trolling. 🤣
What does Sony fans have to do with you over rating the show?
Why instigate?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Im a Playstation fan but I am in no way trolling with my solid F score.

For my tastes, it was an easy F.

Hellblade 2 may as well be Microsofts Last Guardian. Where the fuck is that game?
They didnt re-reveal Halo SP after they were literally ridiculed into delaying it. How do you NOT show us the SP again after that initial reaction..
Way too many shooters.
Way too many Left 4 Dead style games with idiot ass video gamey characters talking nonsense during combat.

STALKER 2 looked fucking incredible, but also on PS5.

FORZA 2 looked fucking incredible, but its more FORZA.

No deep dive gameplay showcases for any game but FORZA...

... what else?

F.

Last edited:
They showed a lot of promising games. but thinking about it I am disappointed that Age of Empires 4 was the only Sega game and its not even being published by Sega. Being a Sega fanboy and Gamepass subscriber I would have liked to see more Sega games on Gamepass Day 1. Maybe Sega will reveal more games are coming to GP Day 1 at their E3 showcase.

D
I dont believe Starfield is coming out 2022 I bet it's a 2023 game they didn't show any gameplay to convince me otherwise. I'm not a fan of racing games but Forza looked great. I don't mind showing alot of shooters but whatever happened to slow paced realistic pvp shooters??? There definitley didn't seem to be much diversity amongst the shooter when your enemies or Zombies and Vampires. I only see myself playing Halo and I'm not really a Halo person. If you have a decent PC I see no reason why you'd buy an Xbox.

Last edited:

Foilz

Banned
if u giving this conference an F.......im just gonna go out on a limb and bet u think Bloodborne and last of us are the greatest games of all time
Well too be honest Xbox doesn't have a bloodborne or last of us and both games are still better than ANYTHING on Xbox. I can admit that a d I don't even ha e a ps5 anymore, I sold it and currently have 2 series X

RGB'D

Solid B. Showed some incredible things. Age of Empires 4, Replaced, Back4Blood, FH5, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Halo Infinite, STALKER 2. It made sense for many of the no shows too as none were predicted for 2021. For Starfield we have a release date and will expect much more at next E3. I would say that the same would be true for many of the other games (Fable, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Etc.) as they are much likelier to be demoed at the next E3 which should ne megaton. I was impressed with this show, and while lacking megatons, was very, very good.

Corgi1985

Banned
if u giving this conference an F.......im just gonna go out on a limb and bet u think Bloodborne and last of us are the greatest games of all time
Or nothing new was shown and everything is a tired rehash of the same tropes from 10 years ago and why the fuck does that vampire game look like fortnite holy fuck use a different art style and everything interesting is at least a year away so why give a shit?

In comparison to what square shat out though Microsoft was at least not a F triple minus

Last edited:
They showed a lot of promising games. but thinking about it I am disappointed that Age of Empires 4 was the only Sega game and its not even being published by Sega. Being a Sega fanboy and Gamepass subscriber I would have liked to see more Sega games on Gamepass Day 1. Maybe Sega will reveal more games are coming to GP Day 1 at their E3 showcase.
i feel like PS Now actually has more Sega games for some reason

Sitting somewhere between a B and a C for me.

Forza looked stunning and was a real standout. The environments looked amazing.

As for the rest, yeah it was ok. I really don’t care for CGI or in-game engine cutscenes, which in my eyes there was a bit too much. Admittedly, not as crammed as it usually is for an Xbox conference, so in that regard at least things have improved. I’ve seen so many games over promise on these types of reveal and under deliver on a good gaming experience, so apologies if I am come across as reserved.

I think there are a lot of games to look for on the 2022 horizon though. I think next year’s E3 might be the one to look out for, where I hope there will be more extensive gameplay videos. I really wish they had spent a bit more time on Age of Empires though. Absolutely love those games.

Also, this thread was actually going ok until a few people waded on it with their console warring. People are allowed to give this conference less than an A. I think it was actually quite a divisive conference depending on where you stand. For Gamepass subscribers, it was no doubt a good showing based on the value. But for non-xbox owners, I didn’t see anything here that would make them rush out and get a series x or s anytime soon.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I give it the conference solid F.
TLOU 2 is the greatest game of all time, bar none.
While Bloodborne is the most overrated game I've seen in my entire life. Possibly a 4/10 game to me. Horrible.

So you cant just put us all in a box.

For my tastes, this conference failed miserably on all fronts.

Dabaus

Banned
I gave it a B only because of battlefield and back for blood on Gamespass. I guess you could say I have extremely low expectations for MS so I gave it a B because it was good for THEM. If Sony for example had a show like this I’d give it a C or D because I know they can do better.

It’s disappointing to see that “if you don’t think it’s A you have a agenda” shit still going around. Fuck sake.

I’m not much of a first person guy , they showed a substantial amount of first person games and a fair number without gameplay.

That’s not knocking gamepass, it’s great value to say the least and there is some cracking indie games on there and coming soon also. The big budget stuff that was revealed, quite a chunk of it lacked gameplay and are confirmed first person. That’s just personal preference not an agenda.

Halo and Forza (which I thought looked great visually ) are the big releases this year and to be honest hardly surprising , they just don’t do it for me in terms of excitement and personal preferences.

I’m a Xbox fan , I don’t have to be enamoured with everything they do!

Last edited:
I actually thought it wasn’t too bad…have a good couple of games to enjoy on gamepass for the rest of the year and 2022 looks pretty stacked

forza horizon looked stunning

Tiamat2san

B+
Because No halo campaign gameplay and they ended the show with a CGI trailer.

otherwise some pretty good stuffs.
So cool to have back 4 blood on gamepass.

EruditeHobo

To the end of 2021 they will have launched Gears Tactics, Flight Sim, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite.

I'm someone in the position that is looking to buy an Xbox, yet that lineup doesn't convince me even if I recognize individually there are a lot of things that might appeal to someone other than me. Either way I don't have to have "an agenda" to think this was a not "bad", not "great" showing from them. No gameplay for most of the interesting things in Xbox's upcoming lineup over the next 2 years. Due to that I remain somewhat disappointed by what they've shown today; it's a clear C for me.

People keep saying "gamepass"... I mean, I really don't care. I get that it's a good deal for gamers -- apart from the fact that I don't know how they are financially compensating/supporting devs with this system -- but regardless I'd honestly rather pay for games I really want to play. That's by far what's kept me from getting a new Xbox, they don't have many games I really want to play.

This E3 was no different, same story for years now from MS, for me... despite some interesting exclusives on the horizon somewhere, in terms of this show the most interesting games as far as I'm concerned were effectively no-shows.

I gave it a B only because of battlefield and back for blood on Gamespass. I guess you could say I have extremely low expectations for MS so I gave it a B because it was good for THEM. If Sony for example had a show like this I’d give it a C or D because I know they can do better.
That doesn't really sense considering Sony couldn't have a show this diverse.

But maybe you're just a sucker for stealth crouching through bushes. Who knows.

Great Hair

Banned
Square Enix 00/100
Ubisoft 20/100
Jeff Key Lee's Show 35/100

Microsoft 60/100
- shooters only, pretty much
- undies and trailers only, pretty much
- barely any gameplay
- duck the ending, what a waste (arkane)
- everything gamepass, got that?
- annoying fade in/out sounds
- halo did not change at all, wtf
x unsure about Flight Sim.
+ a plague tale 2
+ Outer worlds 2 trailer was funny
+ Horizon 5

DeaDPo0L84

On its own-C
Up against the rest of E3-A

E3 has been a real shit show this year so it was a bright spot amongst the rest of what was offered. But again it was games that were no surprise whatsoever like Halo and Forza, and games that we all would have played anyways but are now exclusive cause they shoved truck loads of cash in front of developers to make current projects exclusive to their platform. I'd much rather they push their internal studios to create new ips but they have proven they simply cannot and their new method of just buying out the competition is more suitable for their future.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
I think Halo, forza h 5, flight sim, and psychnauts 2 are a strong lineup.
And there looks to be a few gems in the rest, and it's nice to know all of its on game pass.
I think even if you have a ps5 a series X is a nice compliment to that, and gp will offer very, very good value proposition. If you already have a strong gaming pc, no xbox needed. If you have am older pc, series x is still a good value with gpus so crazy.

I don't know how anyone can get that show a C or below. I know there are many Sony die hards on this forum but getting 30 days day 1 on gamepass within the next year is amazing value.

Iv only really liked Halo 1 and 2. I missed the 360/one halos. The multiplayer trailer looked great.

I've played FH4 on my series X (my first horizon game)..... 5 looks phenomenonal.

Flight sim next month.

New update for sea of theives.

And all the other titles coming to gamepass in the next few months. I've never been gaming so much.

Sometimes I feel no matter what MS does Sony fans will rip on it. I had a PS4 all last gen and I can't believe fans went crazy over a God of War Ragnorok title card proclaimed Sony has won.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
My rankings so far:

Day of the Devs: A
IGN showcase: B
Square Enix: C+
Xbox: C+
Devolver: C
Ubisoft: C
Summer Games Fest: D+

Bryank75

Banned
D.

Not much that would interest me.

Forza Horizon continues to be Xbox's best franchise right now IMO.

Halo looking better but that isn't saying much.

Many timed exclusives.

CGI Starfield is a 'meh'.

Back 4 Blood is a good get for GamePass but just means I will not be buying it on PlayStation. If other people don't have to pay for it, why should I?

I'm sure the xbox crowd got more out of it than I did though, everyone knows where I am coming from here.....

Top Bottom