• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers claim to have stolen a Disney movie for ransom

StoopKid

Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger revealed Monday that hackers claiming to have access to a Disney movie are demanding a ransom. Iger didn't disclose the name of the film, but said Disney isn't paying. The company is which is working with federal investigators.

Iger's comments came during a town hall meeting with ABC employees in New York City, according to multiple sources.

Disney's upcoming theatrical release slate include Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which opens this Friday, and Cars 3 (June 16). Rumors circulated online last week that work print of Star Wars: The Last Jedi had been pirated and being held for ransom but days later online chatter tipped that rumor as a hoax. The studio had no comment.

The Disney chief said the hackers demanded that a huge sum be paid on Bitcoin. They threatened to release five minutes of the film the first time and then in 20-minute chunks until their financial demands are met.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...kers-claim-have-stolen-a-disney-movie-1003949

As a news piece, I think it may just die down and we don't hear much from this except one more time when we know the film it is if it is anything but star wars. If it is star wars a lot of people are going to make a lot of noise.

They're getting leaked on release day anyway. What's a few days early? These hackers have serious delusions about their leverage. Same thing just happened with Orange is the New Black.

You'd think a smaller name would be susceptible to something like this first, but Disney? Damn.
It makes sense when you consider the scale of a film like this. With international marketing, and so many moving parts in a huge studio structure - it creates more vulnerable entry points. Your average B-tier comedy isn't being moved around in the same way.

ghostjoke

Banned
Better be Pirates of the Caribbean so the race to see who can create the best pun happens.

Do they really expect to get paid? If a studio pays for this kind of thing it opens up a dangerous door.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Shocking

36YDa.jpg

Soooo if they fail to get they're demands, they're going to give the movie free publicity?

???

I can only see this being harmful for Star Wars. If it's for Pirates, nobody's going to give a shit.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm with the crowd that thinks this is a stupid move. Disney has changed entire laws to fit their own wants and are up there as one of the most powerful businesses in the world, I really can't see this ending well for them.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I bet if this was Star Wars, they'd pay up. Pirates? I don't know. I think the audience for that will see it no matter what. Kinda like the Orange is the New Black season getting taken. The people that care will still just watch it normally.

Now a Star Wars movie being online 6 months ahead of release. That would be a problem.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I think The Last Jedi isn't finished
That's why it would've been so bad.

You'd either have to watch an unfinish film with shit editing and unfinished CGI or wait until December but have the internet spoil the movie for you.

Boem

When you're a hacker with that kind of ability/lack of morals: why go after Disney? Why not go after some confused old ladies who don't really know how e-mails work? Disney has unlimited funds for unlimited lawyers. You'll end up fucked anyway. All it could do for Disney is drive up conversation about their new movie.

Top Bottom