• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers claim to have stolen a Disney movie for ransom

I'm with the crowd that thinks this is a stupid move. Disney has changed entire laws to fit their own wants and are up there as one of the most powerful businesses in the world, I really can't see this ending well for them.

post-28939-Morgan-Freeman-Lucius-Fox-Good-kvB7.gif

Boem

Thor.

Pirates is already close

It's already confirmed it's Pirates.

It makes more sense if it's a movie relatively close to release anyway. Prints of a movie that's more or less done will be all over the place for prepping for (international) release, dubbing, subtitling, marketing, etc. Whenever a movie leaks early, it's usually through a third party like that.

Patryn

Kinda funny choice, butt yeah I think Star Wars would have been the title people would actually pay ransom for (like an evil kickstarter). :p

I have little doubt that the security surrounding Star Wars is far more than that surrounding Pirates.

Boem

My god, the situation along with the movie involved is pure gold.

This story and all the weird Depp stuff really is great. What's extra hilarious to me is that somehow they got Paul McCartney to play a pirate in this one:

I probably will never end up seeing this particular movie (and hell, it might end up decent for fans of this stuff, I have no idea), but all the behind the screen stuff sounds like the kind of Hollywood shenanigans you'd see in a Coen Brothers movie.

Grug

A movie about the making of this movie would be far more entertaining than the movie itself.

The stuff about Johnny Depp's dogs alone is hilarious.

NYR

There are a handful of companies I would never want to be on the bad side of: Apple, Google and Disney.

Someone is about to be fucked hard.

Raxus

You'd think a smaller name would be susceptible to something like this first, but Disney? Damn.

Much like the Orange is the New Black ransom it isn't so much Netflix as 3rd party studios that finalize things like sound mixing that get caught and completed to nearly complete projects leak out.

Yeah it's all around the known sites and it's The Last Jedi. They are leaking unfinished dialogue scenes and apparently Rey's father is
Bobby Roberts
. I'm pretty sure that was a Disney decision.

Schlorgan

DerZuhälter;236923779 said:
Yeah it's all around the known sites and it's The Last Jedi. They are leaking unfinished dialogue scenes and apparently Rey's father is
Bobby Roberts
. I'm pretty sure that was a Disney decision.

I KNEW IT!!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This may not have been hacked. This may be a good, old fashioned "disc down the pants" deal. That's pretty much how a workprint of Episode III leaked on the day of release.

5mhXHne.jpg

True story here, there was someone leaking the episodes 1-3 of Star Wars. I was just a kid back then but for some reason my dad had a disk for Episode 1 half a year before the movie aired. He didn't post any of it online or share it outside our home to my knowledge, I have no idea how or where he got it, I didn't really fully understand at the time and only loosely remember it as it had similar time stamps to the picture you posted and some unfinished effects (we ended up watching the final movie in theaters anyway which was a bit redundant to me at the time but whatever), but I very distinctively remember this.

Part of me feels I shouldn't share that, but it was years ago now.

man the irony that its Pirates is crazy.

oh well, still seeing it in theaters. Kon Tiki Hemlers looks to be bringing it back to that massive Verbinski-trilogy style of setpieces.

Even if they release it, who gives a shit. Blu-ray releases of films somehow get out there while films are still in theatrical release all the time.
Disney shouldn't pay shit. But they need to sort out their security cos that's just really shitty IT work there.

shira

This could actually be huge for Wonder Woman.

If PotC bombs that means they might double their IMAX and 3D screentime

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It happened to Game of Thrones and Rick and Morty last year, too.

Game of Thrones was 2 years ago during season 5. They ended up not sending out any episodes to press for season 6 (2016's) because of it.

Obama still got the full season, though.

Boem

True story here, there was someone leaking the episodes 1-3 of Star Wars. I was just a kid back then but for some reason my dad had a disk for Episode 1 half a year before the movie aired. He didn't post any of it online or share it outside our home to my knowledge, I have no idea how or where he got it, I didn't really fully understand at the time and only loosely remember it as it had similar time stamps to the picture you posted and some unfinished effects (we ended up watching the final movie in theaters anyway which was a bit redundant to me at the time but whatever), but I very distinctively remember this.

Your dad is secretly George Lucas.

It would have been harder for the movie to be widely shared online back in 98/99 though. Not impossible, but not quite as easy as it is now.

If it's a digital copy, there's no way Disney would pay a ransom since they obviously have copies made already.
The threat isn't a master copy being held ransom so that the studio can't release it. It's having a film that isn't out yet illegally released in chunks for the public to see "potentially" costing the studio in millions of lost sales since people can see a version months earlier than intended.

Did your dad have ties with people in the industry?

Top Bottom