• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers claim to have stolen a Disney movie for ransom

Rktk

Maybe it's this movie.

RansomPoster.jpg

Could be this one:

v1.bTsxMTI5MTA2MjtqOzE3NDEwOzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw

Wolverine Origins as a workprint was enlightening about how movies actually get made though. Seeing Wade having no guns while on wires was like 'hang on, those are edited in later?'. Also the lack of bullet impacts during the helicopter chase actually made it better, whereas the movie in full form has those awful 'bullet splats' on the ground in front of the camera, which is more distracting than helpful.

That's the only workprint I've seen though.

Trying to threaten a studio with one is like, why.

Joeytj

Banned
I remember when this happened with X-Men Origins: Wolverine. To this day I have not seen the finished film, I've seen clips of certain scenes that are jarring to me because of the actually finished cgi (except for the shitty claws).

Yeah, a lot of people forget that this happened a lot during the early years of the Internet and companies beginning to use digital transportation for their movies. But nobody has enough access to the internet or speed to distribute it easily or make it a widespread problem, outside of pirated DVDs in countries with very little IP protections or anti-piracy laws.

I remember traveling to Mexico City in 1999 and seeing the Phantom Menace on CDs months before it released.

Rembrandt

Banned
Has to be pirates.

There's no way to pay them anyways. If it leaks, it leaks. It's inevitable. Just pray the movie is good to ride buzz like the Oscars nominees that leak super early.

Oh, they just copied it? I thought for a second the only copy was ransomcrypted. A copy is not interesting at all. Doubt there will even be any differences compared to final.

They have balls going up against a company as gigantic and protective of its property as Disney.

Headline from next week:
Bodies of hacker group found washed up on shore. No foul play suspected.

Top Bottom