• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Premiere – 8 Minute Demo

Kamina

Golden Boy
I will hold my breath.
483329.jpg

sendit

Watching that twice at high resolution. I honestly don't know what they were thinking. This was supposed to be the game that brought Halo back, and maybe it will from a gameplay perspective at least because it looked fun.

However, what really bothered me is they completely failed to show off this more powerful console jargon they keep boasting about. 4k 60fps is great, but everything, and I mean everything is built around the old hardware. It oozes the original Xbox one.
The way the hills funnel you towards the objective and keep streaming to a minimum, no wide-open spaces. This is a typical Far Cry 2 type strategy when they went with console development along PC because of RAM limitations.
It just really takes away the openness they tried to sell in the previous trailers. If the game really had that sort of explorable scale, they would have shown it.

On top of that, the visuals, textures, lighting were a huge letdown. Nearly everything looks ripped from Halo 4 and 5 visually with some minor touch-ups. Of all the Halo games, this was the most underwhelmed I've ever been in a reveal, especially considering "12tf of power!" It literally looks like an original Xbox one game in high resolution in gameplay.

And to top it off, the whole story seems convulated and the sidekick character pilot is not believable in the slightest. The boss character is laughable too, and MC just seems dumber than ever, like he's just on a theme park ride going along with whatever silly narrative these writers toss at him. "gimme a weapon, the fallen must die." It's comically bad.

I'm hoping the multiplayer is truly something special.

The world looked flat and static (specifically the foliage). I'm sure the gameplay will be fine. The narrative they pushed was "built from the ground up for Xbox Series X". This statement is simply not true. How can you possibly say that with a straight face...

How can you possibly champion scalability of games when this is the results you get. You aren't going to see drastically different geometry from the XB1 to the XSX/PC.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
I mean it doesn't look "next gen" at all, it could be any Halo game. And what's with the audio? The weapons lack any punch at all. I dunno, Halo just seems so archaic at this point.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Sometimes you people are painful AF.

Semi open word Halo? Check.

Best enemies from all the past halos? Check.

Looks like Halo CE part 2 ? Check.

Looking sweet at 4k 60? Check.

What the fuck more do you want? Transgender chief?

Looking forward to this.

Only disappointing this presentation was how far Forza looked away.

Rathalos

Banned
Was you watching on your phone? Sounded punchy as fuck on my subwoofer.

I'm just watching it on PC with my Hyperx II and yeah, not impressed at all. My friend and I are watching it together, and it was the first thing we both picked up on.

Phase

Welp, that confirmed what I was expecting. Sprint, clamber, and more shit piled on. Sounds still suck as they always have with 343. Actually looked boring too, which is a downer.

At least the comments in this thread have cheered me up a little. Thanks guys!

Psykodad

Banned
Nope. It has a 4k and a 60 performance mode not 4k60. Lol

Halo infinite is native 4k60 open world on XSX.

You watched 1080p stream. Go watch 4k video
Performance mode is 4K/60, buddy.

And I've watched the Halo 4K trailer 2 times. In 4k, it only looks much worse because it's more crisp.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was surprised to hear that's it's completely open world. Not semi-open or large areas but entirely open world. What other open world game run at 60fps on a console?

That being said, it looks rough lol

Please stop moving the goal post.
What goal post?

First- You judging based on 1080p stream and game is 4k on seriesX.

2nd - Game was in development for Xbox one since 2015 when XSX specs were not even finalised. So expecting to be Series X game from ground up was stupid.

3rd - No open world shooter or action game is native 4k60 on any system.

4th - Gameplay looks good and how about stop judging everything before launch.

BigLee74

I'm pretty sure any aggressive pop-in on close objects will be adjusted before launch.

Gameplay looks as great as ever, which is all that will ultimately matter.

Also gonna say, I hugely support the grappling hook. I know some hardcore Halo fans don’t like the added suit gimmicks, but the hook makes perfect sense for open world traversal. I like the combat possibilities too.
I also don’t mind the hook. Do we have confirmation on if this is really playable on a vanilla Xbox one? I thought it was pro and up? I can’t say I’m not disappointed. It’s been 5 years and they have a gigantic studio. Why can’t I be blown away just once by these guys? I would have preferred a little more narrative to this. I read the gap is going to be filled in another book? Argh, not again.

looks like there is a time gap going on here. If you look at the decimated unsc fleet, the infinity is deceased. Does that mean all the H4-H5 characters are dead? Was Halsey on the infinity? I’m guessing blue team and Osiris are dead. Just a guess though.

Romulus

Looking forward to this.

I'm a Halo CE fan to the core, and I got zero vibes from this game like that. It just looked flat and uninteresting "MC on a random world to finish another fight." It's just done to death, but worse than before. You can check all the boxes you want, and I'll give you 8k 120fps FULL open world, and it still doesn't give it that Halo magic. Assault on the control room. That's all I have to say, but wtf is this shit? They just don't have what it takes to nail that, or else we would have seen it.
I will say the gameplay loop, weapons looked fun, but the AI is worse the 2001 Halo CE.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This doesn't look like a reboot.

They spent 5 years making a game that looks like a 2017/2018 release.

But Halo is a multiplayer game anyway. There's still hope they do something cool there.

Pallas

Open world Halo is gonna be a reality it seems, I’m cautiously optimistic. Not too concern about the graphics “not meeting expectations”

Mochilador

Looking forward to this.

I really hope we don't see any Promethean enemies. They suck.

Mister Wolf

Performance mode is 4K/60, buddy.

And I've watched the Halo 4K trailer 2 times. In 4k, it only looks much worse because it's more crisp.

We will see how much is cut from that game(lighting, etc) to achieve its 4K/60. If they start talking that "technically it is outputting at 4K" bullshit then its immediately void as an example.

Last edited:

killatopak

Was this played on Series X or One X?

I was seeing a lot of pop in so I’m hoping this was shown on the One X at least.

Other than that, I thought it looked great.

Last edited:

Phase

1. Denial and isolation;
2. Anger;
3. Bargaining;
4. Depression;
5. Acceptance.
I had been on stage 4 for far too long. I kept a sliver of hope (as any true Halo fan would), but I've made it to stage 5 now. I can forget about this franchise for good. Maybe play some H2 on Lan here and there in the future. But it feels good to say:

giphy.gif

KAL2006

Banned
My question to fans is why have so much faith in this game. They made Halo 4 and 5. 4 campaign was awful. 5 was a okay game but didn't set the world on fire. So what's with the hype. Wasn't there rumours of development issues the director leaving. What's with features being added later like ray tracing, why not at launch. Why are people not suspicious this is just being rushed out to hit launch of Series X.

It makes sense to be excited for a sequel of a game where the previous entry was such a hit for example a Forza Horizon sequel would be hype as we know it will likely deliver. But this the developers have had a spotty track record and there have been rumours of development issues.

Top Bottom