• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

ZehDon

Gold Member
Turn speed is limited by the game you’re playing. A XIM or Cronus doesn’t magically make the max turn speed faster in the game.
... I know? I said that in my post that you quoted? In Halo Infinite, a mouse with a high sensitivity will still turn faster than a controller with maximum sensitivity.

jigglet

Banned
... I know? I said that in my post that you quoted? In Halo Infinite, a mouse with a high sensitivity will still turn faster than a controller with maximum sensitivity.

So you’re implying using a mouse on PC is cheating? Because remember the original post I quoted claimed he was cheating.

The only form of cheating on console I can think of is a XIM / Cronus, which gives you the benefit of a mouse plus magnetism. And if you’re using a XIM, your turn speed is identical to a controller. In that case, then it’s easier to do that rapid spin with a regular controller, as per my original post.

Or, I’ve totally missed your point?

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Bravo! I wonder how many Onyx players we have on here..

You on controller?
Mixed it up but ended up on controller, luckily I know and play with a few players who competed in HCS so had good teamwork and people who do the objectives, took ages though luckily went on a 12 game win streak and ended up in top 2 players so was gaining half ranks every match.

No crashes on quality mode XsX for me.

This game even with the limited map selection and mixed playlist (which I kanda like btw) is like fucking crack. I can't stop playing it. Best arena shooter thus far for me. Looks good as well.

I'm honestly shocked I'm enjoying it as much as I am. I'm on the verge of getting as hooked as I was to counter-strike 1.5/1.6 back in the day. I might start doing scrims and join a team even.

twilo99

I played a few big team matches last night.. perfect chaos. love it

Mixed it up but ended up on controller, luckily I know and play with a few players who competed in HCS so had good teamwork and people who do the objectives, took ages though luckily went on a 12 game win streak and ended up in top 2 players so was gaining half ranks every match.

Well you must be good enough to hang with them, otherwise they probably won't play with you lol that's a very quick progression..

Seems like controller is the way to go up at the higher levels of play.

I'm honestly shocked I'm enjoying it as much as I am. I'm on the verge of getting as hooked as I was to counter-strike 1.5/1.6 back in the day. I might start doing scrims and join a team even.

That's because they really nailed the gameplay and feel of the game. Its obviously not perfect, but its an amazing foundation to work with.. hopefully they continue to listen to players and improve it further.

I'm still struggling with the fact that I don't need to go look for health and armor or weapons.. its very strange for me since in Quake you have to take care of all that on the fly.

Leyasu

Banned
Something that has elevated my enjoyment is the fact that 99% of my games have been on EU dedicated servers. Low ping and smooth as silk. I am not a fan of 343s project management, but they nailed this game. It is amazing

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Shit man, good for you. I’m solo and it’s so hard to get a half decent team. Luckily even if you lose but do well you’re not punished that much.

I was Platinum I after the initial 10 matches. Played few more today and I’m almost Platinum IV. Still a long way to go.

twilo99

Something that has elevated my enjoyment is the fact that 99% of my games have been on EU dedicated servers. Low ping and smooth as silk. I am not a fan of 343s project management, but they nailed this game. It is amazing

Azure's massive deployment is helping you out there...

jakinov

their technical prowness is probably a bigger issue than their proiect management. That's what usually creates the unplanned work and prevents the work from completing on time. Not the ones who basically create glofieid schedules and plans based on estimates usually given by the technical people.

Fuck me wouldn’t it just be better to come out and say that they can’t implement the system that they know they should, because they don’t have any additional content or a second season on the horizon yet and they are trying to keep people interested until they do?

We all know that everything will change once they are capable of releasing a new season every 50-60 days, so why not be honest about it?!
I've said this many times . .its as if developers can't help themselves, they have to lie. It's pathetic but it's almost every single dev that does it.

their technical prowness is probably a bigger issue than their proiect management. That's what usually creates the unplanned work and prevents the work from completing on time. Not the ones who basically create glofieid schedules and plans based on estimates usually given by the technical people.
343 has terrible management though. We've seen it over and over with MCC, halo 5 and Infinite

Leyasu

Banned
Azure's massive deployment is helping you out there...
Yes and no. Halo 5 launched with two fully functioning datacenters in the EU, yet the majority of my games were on US servers.

I am hopng that 343 are listening to people on waypoint clamouring for region filters in this game.

Banned
Yes and no. Halo 5 launched with two fully functioning datacenters in the EU, yet the majority of my games were on US servers.

I am hopng that 343 are listening to people on waypoint clamouring for region filters in this game.

the match making system in Halo 5 was set up in a way that it always just tried to find the fastest match possible, and since Xbox is more popular in the US it was often US lobbies that were found.

IMO every game should always have a datacenter list that you should be able to select you preferred region from.

Leyasu

Banned
See the reply below. I will just add though that when you have teams big or small, you always need a maestro conducting the orchestra. Otherwise it either all falls apart or takes a geologicalto complete
343 has terrible management though. We've seen it over and over with MCC, halo 5 and Infinite

Leyasu

Banned
the match making system in Halo 5 was set up in a way that it always just tried to find the fastest match possible, and since Xbox is more popular in the US it was often US lobbies that were found.

IMO every game should always have a datacenter list that you should be able to select you preferred region from.

I know, yet lots of people including me would take match quality over matchmaking speed any day. Fingers crossed that they listen. Because like the other Halos on local servers is great.

Really wanting region/server select for Australia and not the shite version they've updated to in MCC where Aussies are forced to select 2 and we have to have US/Singapore as well as Australia. Sucks.

Something I wanted to highlight here about the split between esports and BTB that I drone on about a bit. I like ShyWay, he puts out solid content that is very well developed but here's an example of the massive divide between esports such as ShyWay and myself/friends that like the more "classic default" Halo. At the first 10 seconds of the video breaking down ranked skill jumps he goes on to state "I don't like Behemoth, it's too big for ranked". esports has claimed ranked entirely in Halo 5 and Infinite. What about those of us that love light vehicles and 4v4 play on more ranging maps, such as Behemoth? There's massive skill in map movement and teamwork that doesn't involve CQC and McDonalds gameplay as I call.

I had one of the best nights playing Infinite and thoroughly enjoyed it with 2 buddies then realised it was in large part due to playing Behemoth and maps with flag most of the time, rather than constant CQC slayer of say Recharge or Livefire. It's that game changing difference of a ranging map and the emergent Halo gameplay drawing that line in the sand between esports and classic default Halo, without the BTB chaos. Moving around a map like Behemoth is completely different and it's the style of play I want out of Halo more. Why shouldn't that be considered ranked? Why should esports dominate so many maps and settings in ranked?

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Really wanting region/server select for Australia and not the shite version they've updated to in MCC where Aussies are forced to select 2 and we have to have US/Singapore as well as Australia. Sucks.
Yeah you guys need it. I hope that they finally get the not implementing it would kill the community outside of the US

jakinov

See the reply below. I will just add though that when you have teams big or small, you always need a maestro conducting the orchestra. Otherwise it either all falls apart or takes a geologicalto complete
At some level you can blame the managers but it's hard to say without being there. Poor quality code is just poor quality code. Just like a Maestro conducting the orchestra if your players can't play the notes you can't play the notes. Unlike a song you don't really know that the people did a shit jobs until months or years later then you to decide what you need to do, start from scratch or try to salvage. Also simply gutting your team to find better employees is a hard thing to do because it's not always easy to find better talent. it hurts morale and it takes tim to onboard people. It's also not like an orchestra where you can give someone sheet music and they can just start playing a song.

For all the stuff that leaked out about Halo Infinte development most of it was that they had really shitty technical systems in place and problems with the game engine that caused so many problems with development.

Also project managers aren't managers. The Project manager is the guy who tells the maestro he has 20 minutes to do his show and has 10 days to practice and has 3 days before that to figure out the set list.

Leyasu

Banned
At some level you can blame the managers but it's hard to say without being there. Poor quality code is just poor quality code. Just like a Maestro conducting the orchestra if your players can't play the notes you can't play the notes. Unlike a song you don't really know that the people did a shit jobs until months or years later then you to decide what you need to do, start from scratch or try to salvage. Also simply gutting your team to find better employees is a hard thing to do because it's not always easy to find better talent. it hurts morale and it takes tim to onboard people. It's also not like an orchestra where you can give someone sheet music and they can just start playing a song.

For all the stuff that leaked out about Halo Infinte development most of it was that they had really shitty technical systems in place and problems with the game engine that caused so many problems with development.

Also project managers aren't managers. The Project manager is the guy who tells the maestro he has 20 minutes to do his show and has 10 days to practice and has 3 days before that to figure out the set list.
I understand what you are saying, but they are responsable for putting in place the right team for the job. But I do agree with a lot of your points though.

Yeah I also read the leaks about their shitty engine and tools. Saying that, I was playing around with theatre mode the other day, and the exact same quirks were present in infinite, which have been there since 3. Like if you pause it with a gun firing, as you move the camera closer, the muzzle flash will disappear. Really made me wonder if they are really using slipspace for MP.

Papacheeks

Banned

Don’t ever compare this to counter strike which was pc focused and gas fair control and accurate shooting with m/kb. Halo infinite on m/kb us pure trash. I’m almost diamond. And I have games where I go 18-4. Or 20-12. But watching all the bullshit with sticky aim, sticky melee and inconsistent bullet hit detection for mouse really makes me want to quit at this point.

I thought I was being a whiner, but I booted up Apex, and split gate, counter strike. And my shots were my shots.

The issue will be either use a controller without being able to move around to look behind you, or just stop playing. They have made it apparent their fix is you using custom playlists and filtering m/kb players.

Which will be small as fuck.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'd love to know what region servers we're playing ranked on in australia on xbox, because it definitely doesn't feel like Australian ones. So many times I die after getting around a corner with literally no way I could get shot.

Banned
Which aimbot are you using?
Video Games Share GIF by Xbox

I'd love to know what region servers we're playing ranked on in australia on xbox, because it definitely doesn't feel like Australian ones. So many times I die after getting around a corner with literally no way I could get shot.

You can turn on network performance in your settings so all matches display your ping in the top right. Generally, even in full Aussie parties, we're getting about 50/50 Aussie and international, irrespective of ranked vs BTB.

If you're on PC you can just edit your host file and block any but "Australia East". Trouble is during times of not finding matches you'll need to block/unblock at will for other regions to find matches quickly. Note: this will affect all your games played, not just Infinite.

Of course if you're on console you can setup rules in your router to achieve the same, with the hassle of toggling them manually.

It's a sad state of affairs when the community builds public GitHub Server Blocker apps instead of 343 just supporting player choices in game with the click of a button. Just like they do in MCC, why this is missing now in Infinite is testament to Slipspace/game release coming in hot IMO.

0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.australiaeast.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.southafricanorth.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.westeurope.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.southcentralus.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.japaneast.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.japanwest.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.northeurope.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.westus.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.westus2.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.northcentralus.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.eastus2.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.southeastasia.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.centralus.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.brazilsouth.cloudapp.azure.com 0.0.0.0 pfmsqos.eastasia.cloudapp.azure.com

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
You can turn on network performance in your settings so all matches display your ping in the top right. Generally, even in full Aussie parties, we're getting about 50/50 Aussie and international, irrespective of ranked vs BTB.
Oh you can do this on console too? Nice, wasn't aware of that.

It just astounds me that in this day and age online games launch without simple things like region select and estimated wait times and player counts. If we want to put up with longer wait times to get matches without 200ms+ of lag, let us!

Banned
It really cannot be overstated how much of an advantage using an elite and using the 4 paddles gives you. I can shoot, crouch, use equipment, throw grenades, reload, change weapons, etc all without ever losing control of my aim and movement.

I'm not a fan of paddles, I use a normal controller with a button mapping that allows me to jump, crouch, use grenades without letting the sticks go. I don't need my right stick while reloading, so that is not really something I need on any paddle... what sucks currently is that I have equipment on A... which is ok for most of them but sucks for the grapple.

the issue being that you need the sprint button because there is no auto sprint setting. in Apex I have the left stick bound to something else because I have auto sprint on.

A - Equipment
B - Melee
X - Reload
Y - Weapon Switch
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
RB - Grenade
RT - Shoot
LS - Sprint
RS - Crouch

I would swap Equipment to LS if auto sprint was an option

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
I'm not a fan of paddles, I use a normal controller with a button mapping that allows me to jump, crouch, use grenades without letting the sticks go. I don't need my right stick while reloading, so that is not really something I need on any paddle... what sucks currently is that I have equipment on A... which is ok for most of them but sucks for the grapple.

the issue being that you need the sprint button because there is no auto sprint setting. in Apex I have the left stick bound to something else because I have auto sprint on.

A - Equipment
B - Melee
X - Reload
Y - Weapon Switch
LB - Jump
LT - Scope
RB - Grenade
RT - Shoot
LS - Sprint
RS - Crouch

I would swap Equipment to LS if auto sprint was an option
Being able to track opponents/turn without interruption while reloading is really helpful. You're a bumper jumper hey? Never got in to that myself.

Banned
Being able to track opponents/turn without interruption while reloading is really helpful. You're a bumper jumper hey? Never got in to that myself.

the day I first played Mirror's Edge was the day I switched... it instantly just felt so good to me.

for Halo 3 and Reach I still play with Recon presets lol, because my brain is fucking programmed to play these games with those settings, I will legit run around like a beheaded chicken whenever I try to use bumper jumper in those lol, even tho I do in every other shooter

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
So you’re implying using a mouse on PC is cheating? Because remember the original post I quoted claimed he was cheating.

The only form of cheating on console I can think of is a XIM / Cronus, which gives you the benefit of a mouse plus magnetism. And if you’re using a XIM, your turn speed is identical to a controller. In that case, then it’s easier to do that rapid spin with a regular controller, as per my original post.

Or, I’ve totally missed your point?
Sorry, maybe I haven't been clear. I was responding to the original statement that spin turning was easier on a controller because all you had to do was hold right.

I'm stating that using a mouse on PC allows the PC user advantages against a controller due to the mechanical limitations of the controller coupled with the relatively low maximum sensitivity settings for the controller sticks / axis in Halo Infinite specifically. Halo Infinite does not restrict the turn rate via the mouse to the maximum they've instilled for a controller with their sensitivity settings. It's possible - using a mouse - to melee through a controller opponent, turn on a dime, and melee the controller opponent again before they can turn to face you.

jigglet

Banned
Sorry, maybe I haven't been clear. I was responding to the original statement that spin turning was easier on a controller because all you had to do was hold right.

I'm stating that using a mouse on PC allows the PC user advantages against a controller due to the mechanical limitations of the controller coupled with the relatively low maximum sensitivity settings for the controller sticks / axis in Halo Infinite specifically. Halo Infinite does not restrict the turn rate via the mouse to the maximum they've instilled for a controller with their sensitivity settings. It's possible - using a mouse - to melee through a controller opponent, turn on a dime, and melee the controller opponent again before they can turn to face you.

Yes but the point I'm making is I think the original post I quoted claimed they were using Cronus or XIM. I don't think it was ever about controller vs. PC.

RPS37

After playing both the One X version and the SX version, Infinite at 60 on SX is lightweight the next gen validation I’ve been looking for.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Game crashed 2 times after amd halo driver i installed 2 days ago. I don't know if the driver caused it or not, but i decided to delete the driver.

Installed 21.10.2, it was fine performance wise but game crashed 2 times again; one of them in the main menu. I was fine with 21.10.1(15 fps lower) but i don't want to install it again. I'm waiting for a patch.

edit 2: Ok, i think i found the problem. Both crash happened outside of actual gameplay. FPS goes insane(above 300) while in menu so limiting FPS outside the game made it stable so far.

edit 3: Crashed again. Victims page.

Last edited:
I'm getting some strange stutter on my PC, not sure what could be causing it. 8700K OC and 3080 seems to be smooth then strange odd little short stutters. Had to set to 82HZ and add v sync when I have g sync, something doesnt seem right.

Guess im going back to the series x on my OLED.
Did you try toggling async compute? I have a high end build and turning it off for me made the game feel much smoother.

Also they need to turn down the AA on controller. I'm Onyx with M/KB and it's honestly not even fun playing the mixed playlist anymore. High level controller player games are just won by who sees who first. Nobody misses a shot. It's genuinely boring. I can hold my own but it requires an immense amount of effort in those mixed playlists.

Switch back into the mouse playlist and the fights are way more engaging with people actually having to aim and miss shots here and there. I can use a controller as well but overall my thoughts were the same, just doesn't feel great and then you just get crazy AA onto peoples head. You can literally let go of the stick and just side step as you shoot and still hit your shots.

That graph of the disparity in accuracy illuminates this perfectly. The overall average between both should be equal, no way that controllers should be averaging at such higher accuracy.

Last edited:

IDappa

I’m just about over this ranked bullshit already tbh. They need to sort this out because I’m losing all desire to play it. I just played 8 games and all but 2 of them had 2 or 3 players from the team that was losing quit within minutes. We’re talking the opposition team grabs our flag, doesn’t even capture it, so they quit. Other team gets to 50 in first round of oddball? Quit.

After said 8 matches I finished slightly higher than I was before on platinum 5. Not a single win.

After all this talk about cheating now I am questioning some of the matches. One we were up 23-3 in slayer with the other team basically not even trying, next minute we lost 50-35 with them seemingly never missing a shot.

They can do whatever they want with the progression, couldn’t care less, but they need to sort out quitters and pc cross play.
You can sqaud up with me and a mate of mine if you want. We need a couple blokes to play with. He's diamond 4 and I'm onyx 1535. Pm if you want bro.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
You can see your ping. But I sure that you already know that.

What you could do is load up gears 5 or halo mcc, take a note of the pings that they display on the server selection menu, then compare them with the ping that you get

Top Bottom