• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer is out NOW

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Sure, I'm happy with the new modes but I'm really not asking for much here. This is like basic MP game design. Every single Halo game has released with a slayer playlist on day one. I really thought it was coming out on Dec 8th because we are still technically in "beta".
Yeah I don’t have a clue why it would take that long except for some sort of slow rollout to account for balance issues. Otherwise it seems like it should be as simple as flipping a switch

MrFunSocks

Banned
I feel they need to buff a lot of weapons to make them more useful. Mangler could use some spread. Disruptor could use more damage. And a couple others.
What do you mean by spread for the mangler? It’s a slow firing pistol essentially, why would you want “spread”?

Social Slayer won't be available until after the Holidays??? 343 gonna 343 I guess...

200.gif

Yeah I don’t have a clue why it would take that long except for some sort of slow rollout to account for balance issues. Otherwise it seems like it should be as simple as flipping a switch
I’m sure it’s a server side thing to do but tbh it’s smarter not to add it before the holidays because the last thing they want is for matchmaking times to increase due to thinning out the herd across different playlists at a time when many will be playing it for the first time.

Just put the game down for a month if it bothers you that much that you can’t just play slayer 24/7. Infinite isn’t going anywhere, it will be supported until the end of the generation.

On another topic, this game seems to have a far bigger player base on pc than on console which is crazy. After every game I’m opening my previous players list in the guide to check it out and 90% of them almost every match are on pc.

Naked Lunch

No team slayer playlist on the 8th is some weak ass shit.

At least just split the current social playlist into 4v4 slayer and 4v4 objective.
It sounds like they are putting some extra features into social slayer which is fine, that can arrive later - but surely the split I listed cant be tough to make.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
On another topic, this game seems to have a far bigger player base on pc than on console which is crazy. After every game I’m opening my previous players list in the guide to check it out and 90% of them almost every match are on pc.
I find that highly unlikely. Steam tops out at around 120k a day, can't be many players on pc playing via the windows/xbox store(why would you?). The game is rooted in the top 3 most played on xbox that's vastly more than 120K.

Are you playing on PC? maybe MM perfers matching on the same system?

What do you mean by spread for the mangler? It’s a slow firing pistol essentially, why would you want “spread”?

I’m sure it’s a server side thing to do but tbh it’s smarter not to add it before the holidays because the last thing they want is for matchmaking times to increase due to thinning out the herd across different playlists at a time when many will be playing it for the first time.

Just put the game down for a month if it bothers you that much that you can’t just play slayer 24/7. Infinite isn’t going anywhere, it will be supported until the end of the generation.

Stop conflating complaining with criticism. Every single Halo game and MP shooter worth thier salt released a with Team Deathmatch playslit on day one. There is 0 excuse for this.

Banned
Cool your jets my friend I swear you'll give yourself a hernia. It's only a game, and a free one at that. Just move on.

"it's free therefore it's ok that it is terribly made"

great argument!

Nobody said it was hard. Resources are finite.

When a game launchers people take vacations afterwards because often or not they've been crunching or delaying vacations and it's also super common for people to take vacations in december in general. The last two weeks of the year for many corporate jbos especially development is super duper slow. Kids are are off so a lot of parents take the time off and there's many holidays that people have off so they sprinkle their vacation days around it. It's december now and going forward we're looking at two really good weeks of development this year and it's not about how long does this task it's also about what else are they working on. Tasks are prirotized. Reproducible major bugs are high priority for example. Based on the post, the release of the 3 modes in the next few weeks are also higher priority than a social slayer plalist.

I'm sorry, but how is it possible that a 20 man team can change game modes, playlists and whole menu layouts around within 2-3 days as a reaction to fan feedback, yet a AAA studio can't do the same?

I'm not buying it. they clearly don't want to implement all modes and instead drip feed them slowly so that they have "content" for later updates.

every Halo game before this one launched with a huge variety of playlists in multiplayer. usually Social Slayer, Big Team Slayer, Action Sack, SWAT, Ranked Slayer, Ranked Objectives and in addition to these basic modes, games since Reach usually had a new game mode in addition to that. for Reach it was multiple different Invasion modes, for Halo 4 it was Domination and in 5 it was 2 new entries, Warzone and Breakout

now this game launches, and it has 3 playlists.

STOP making excuses for this team... there is no excuse for this. and denying the obvious helps noone.
they clearly and deliberately launched in a barren state so that they can milk the game for content long enough to actually finish the game, which will take at least another 9 months.

them not implementing a Social Slayer playlist faster is clearly in order to not make people expect to get fast updates, because they would run out of content fast.
the game mode already exists, it is already in the game, it just doesn't have it's on playlist.
wouldn't you agree that the act of implementing these new playlist they will implement this month will take exactly the same steps as implementing a Social Slayer playlist? implementing a playlist for one mode certainly is exactly the same as implementing a playlist for another mode. what exactly in your mind is the holdup then? they will implement multiple new playlists this month, but somehow it is impossible to also implement Social Slayer in tandem with the others? and you believe them that?

that's too much common sense to spit in reply to a serial whiner/complainer

It's like a division by zero, gaf gonna implode soon

I am once again sorry that I am not bending over and let them ram their PR nonsense up my anus, but you go ahead... open wide!

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

I guess because I naturally compare it to the mauler but with more range. If it is to stay as an accurate pistol than the damage could be higher at further range.

Batiman

Banned

great argument!

I'm sorry, but how is it possible that a 20 man team can change game modes, playlists and whole menu layouts around within 2-3 days as a reaction to fan feedback, yet a AAA studio can't do the same?

I'm not buying it. they clearly don't want to implement all modes and instead drip feed them slowly so that they have "content" for later updates.

every Halo game before this one launched with a huge variety of playlists in multiplayer. usually Social Slayer, Big Team Slayer, Action Sack, SWAT, Ranked Slayer, Ranked Objectives and in addition to these basic modes, games since Reach usually had a new game mode in addition to that. for Reach it was multiple different Invasion modes, for Halo 4 it was Domination and in 5 it was 2 new entries, Warzone and Breakout

STOP making excuses for this team... there is no excuse for this. and denying the obvious helps noone.
they clearly and deliberately launched in a barren state so that they can milk the game for content long enough to actually finish the game, which will take at least another 9 months.

them not implementing a Social Slayer playlist faster is clearly in order to not make people expect to get fast updates, because they would run out of content fast.
the game mode already exists, it is already in the game, it just doesn't have it's on playlist.
wouldn't you agree that the act of implementing these new playlist they will implement this month will take exactly the same steps as implementing a Social Slayer playlist? implementing a playlist for one mode certainly is exactly the same as implementing a playlist for another mode. what exactly in your mind is the holdup then? they will implement multiple new playlists this month, but somehow it is impossible to also implement Social Slayer in tandem with the others? and you believe them that?

I am once again sorry that I am not bending over and let them ram their PR nonsense up my anus, but you go ahead... open wide!
I agree with your complaints with slayer and agree criticism is good. But you come off complaining in almost every post. Makes me wonder why play a game that brings you nothing but negativity. Maybe put it down for a bit until they get around to it?

clarky

Banned

great argument!

!
Not an argument. Just you seem to have your knickers in a twist every 5 minutes in every Halo thread. I think just about every single member of gaf has heard you loud and clear by now.

Edit: Yeah what the post above me said, just drop the game and come back when it meets your expectations? This is coming from a Destiny 1 survivor, trust me.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Just came across my first 100% confirmed cheater in ranked on Xbox. Pc player “Lux ….” something. Brand new gamertag with only halo on it, went 34-4, 17 kills in a row to end the match, and he just knew where you were at all times even when there was literally no way he could. Watched the replay back and he was just tracking people through walls and had his reticule on your head instantly, zooming from player to player. Complete bullshit.

MS need to do full on kernel level anti-cheat or I feel high level ranked is just going to be all pc cheaters in no time.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Very disappointed to hear play lists aren't coming. How do you launch a multiplayer game of the most popular console shooter of all time like this? 343 smh.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into halo 4 again and half the community leaves and never comes back a month after launch.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't see it posted but 343i fixed the collisions with an enemy

Sad playlist aren't coming for December 8th but I imagine the team must be quite exhausted. Take a well deserved break and come back stronger.
Add maps please.

jakinov

Differnt code bases, differnet scope, differnet proceses and differnet standards. But again and more importantly differnet priorities. In other words they probably aren't working on social slayer as a high priority. As I've said in my other post they are likely working on the 3 other new modes and finalizing those, working on whatever bug fixes + whatever else. It's again not about not about it being hard to do it's that the the number of people is FINITE. It's easy and quick to clean the toilet at restaurant but if everyone is busy doing other stuff the toilet does not get cleaned no matter how quick it is. Circling back to differnet code bases and differnet standards and proceses. I've seen students studying comp science/ software engineer critisize big companies when it comes to release features too slow because their only real exposure of how long it takes to do shit very limited. Their only exposure to people building this out are in the context of these events called hackathons where they see people whip out this ideas/demos within a day or two of coding. But in reality, espcially for larger companies and teams there's a lot more planning with deep considering for things like testing, scalalability, extensibility and maintaninability that go into play. And the bigger the project/company/team the more methodical the processes. There's also differences in scope and standards. 343 likely has people going like this description should be used here, lets use a picture of this, someone go get a picutre of that.I want the annoucer to say this or that. Okay now make surre we localize that for all the languages we support. Also worth nothing that SplitGate is basicallyt early acess and so they don't have the same level of testing for anything they had because they are "allowed" to be buggier than usual. Multiplayer is supposed to be out of BETA in a week and if they are going to work on this stuff they are going to have to make sure anything thatt they do isn't buggy because they are no longer in BETA.I don't work for the people who make splitgate or 343 so I can't tell you exactly what each companies proceses are. But that's how a big company like 343 can take longer to do something relatively small compared to another team on a project. But the actual main reason why social slayer isn't coming is again because it's not a priority, it's also kind of implied they aren't even working on it if you read the tweet again whent hey said they won't get to it until the next month. Not that it will release next month.

Also, I'm pretty sure you are confusing a [team] slayer only mode with social slayer which is going to be team slayer + other versions of team slayer which don't exist in infinite right now. And nobody is saying it's impossible. It's likely that again people are working on differnet things and resources are extra limited because people take a lot of vacation post-launch and in december in general.

I also don't think 343 really cares to make these basic game modes as part of "content" updates. I just think they are really behind on everything except thesingle-player campaign at this point.

ZehDon

Not exactly what i was hoping for (ranked slayer) but its a start. dunno why this stuff isnt in the game for the 8th.

I mean, sure, it’s the most requested feature now, and it’s a basic and fundamental feature of every release in the franchise, and it seems like an extremely basic concept to implement on their fancy new Engine, but let’s be fair - they’ve only had *checks notes* six years!?

Fredrik

So, I never play online but I was told you could play some mode in Halo Infinite with bots. I went to do that, I guess it’s the Bot Bootscamp. But I can’t start it. Play is grayed out, just says 0 seconds til I can start. Then I tried a regular mp quick game too, can’t start that either. Can’t start anything. Do I have to pay for the battle pass or something? I thought it was free.

MrFunSocks

Banned
So, I never play online but I was told you could play some mode in Halo Infinite with bots. I went to do that, I guess it’s the Bot Bootscamp. But I can’t start it. Play is grayed out, just says 0 seconds til I can start. Then I tried a regular mp quick game too, can’t start that either. Can’t start anything. Do I have to pay for the battle pass or something? I thought it was free.
Force close the game, I’m guessing you quick resumed it? MP pretty much never works when you quick resume infinite :(

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Force close the game, I’m guessing you quick resumed it? MP pretty much never works when you quick resume infinite :(
What is the point of quick resume when it is broken like this? Has 343 acknowledged the issue?

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Is there a way to disable quick resume on Series X?
I mainly play multiplayer games - so the feature is more annoying than anything for me. Basically doesnt load any online games correctly.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Those new fixed playlists are wank. I would have just gone with 4 fixed game types;

Ranked Slayer
Quick Play (keep Slayer in rotation)
Free For All
Big Team Battle

Keep it concise to ensure a healthy population in each one. Rotate in Fiesta/Swat/Griffball/Shotty Snipes as weekly events.

We’re going to have:
Quick Play (mixed playlist)
Ranked Arena (mixed playlist)
Big Team Battle (mixed playlist)
Fiesta
Swat
Free For All
Social Slayer

Get ready for the Halo 5 and MCC situation where Slayer is hugely populated and you can’t get a game in anything else.

They are diluting the playlists in the worst and most convoluted possible way. Why can’t Fiesta be added to Quick Play? Everything is a mix of playlists and then there’s some dedicated playlists for certain niche modes like Swat and Fiesta. They should have 100% left those 2 modes out.

Shit job IMO. I’d be much happier if they just left it as is.

And you just know that there’s now going to be even worse weekly challenges where you’ll have to play these game modes.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Project managers are in charge of scheduling and defining scope. Again ultimately the technical and creative people just failed to execute. Things like poor battlepass deisgn that creates unplanned work. And the large amount of bugs or poor graphics quality that creates addtional unplanned work is not really the fault of project managers. It's hard to blame the project managers unless you actually work for them and know they mess up scheduling and planning but if the plans have to keep changing because people are failing to deliver, you can't really blame the project managers for pushing things back. The actual managers are more to blame if they aren't actively doing things but we also don't know if they werne't activately doing things

People can express their displeasure at what 343 is releasesing. I have no skin in the game and I don't care about people critisizing them. I've only been replyng to specific ideas that I disagree with. If people say battlepass sucks or this sucks or that sucks or this should have been done for launch. I'd have no gripe with it. But if have an idea that disagree with or think is flawed in relation I'll reply to it. Like earlier in this thread when someone was making in my my mind lousy comparisons to Halo Reach and like you said when we spoke about the project managers being at fault. It was never about how there nothings wrong with the product.

The people should have seen what was happening and where this was going a long time ago. We dont know that the technical people failed to execute, but if they did, then the management team should have been aware of this. Again if plans need to change because people are messing up then you identify and change those people. They had years. It is their job. If that was one of my studios, I would want a full dissection of what happened and was responsable for what, then I would clean house.

Last edited:
Bot Bootcamp is not the all-bot training mode anyhow, right? That can be found under Academy/Training Mode etc. where all players but you are bots, including team mates.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The people should have seen what was happening and where this was going a long time ago. We dont know that the technical people failed to execute, but if they did, then the management team should have been aware of this. Again if plans need to change because people are messing up then you identify and change those people. They had years. It is their job. If that was one of my studios, I would want a full dissection of what happened and was responsable for what, then I would clean house.
I do agree with you but it is not always that easy to spot.I'm by no way a 343 apologist, on the contrary, but I remember the story of Shu Yoshida leaving ssm livid after seeing the state of God of war was about a month before it's release date.
But considering how it came out, I think it is safe to say that they nailed it.

clarky

Banned
Those new fixed playlists are wank. I would have just gone with 4 fixed game types;

Ranked Slayer
Quick Play (keep Slayer in rotation)
Free For All
Big Team Battle

Keep it concise to ensure a healthy population in each one. Rotate in Fiesta/Swat/Griffball/Shotty Snipes as weekly events.

We’re going to have:
Quick Play (mixed playlist)
Ranked Arena (mixed playlist)
Big Team Battle (mixed playlist)
Fiesta
Swat
Free For All
Social Slayer

Get ready for the Halo 5 and MCC situation where Slayer is hugely populated and you can’t get a game in anything else.

They are diluting the playlists in the worst and most convoluted possible way. Why can’t Fiesta be added to Quick Play? Everything is a mix of playlists and then there’s some dedicated playlists for certain niche modes like Swat and Fiesta. They should have 100% left those 2 modes out.

Shit job IMO. I’d be much happier if they just left it as is.

And you just know that there’s now going to be even worse weekly challenges where you’ll have to play these game modes.
Hard disagree

Fredrik

Are you connected to the internet?
Yeah I just played some Forza online, no problems there. Is there some privacy or data sharing setting that specifically Halo is using?

Edit: Got it working! Found a fix on Reddit, for some reason you have to change the system language to english, I had it set to swedish.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Bot Bootcamp is not the all-bot training mode anyhow, right? That can be found under Academy/Training Mode etc. where all players but you are bots, including team mates.
I have no idea, I can’t play anything, not quick play, bot bootcamp, training mode, nothing. I can change my appearance.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hard disagree
That’s fair, but my point about population stands. Slayer has always dwarfed every other playlist on Halo. Fiesta and Swat will end up with a population of less than 2k whilst Slayer will hold 90% of the games population.

On Halo 5, I could queue for 10 minutes for objective game modes and I wouldn’t get put in a game. This was 2 years ago, when the game was 3/4 years old.

Concern

That’s fair, but my point about population stands. Slayer has always dwarfed every other playlist on Halo. Fiesta and Swat will end up with a population of less than 2k whilst Slayer will hold 90% of the games population.

On Halo 5, I could queue for 10 minutes for objective game modes and I wouldn’t get put in a game. This was 2 years ago, when the game was 3/4 years old.

Can't expect much more from the casuals. Nobody wants to get melted by headshots as soon as they spawn lol.

Fredrik

Did my first ever play of Halo Infinite, first some training against bots and then a quickplay where you had to hold a ball. Surprisingly amusing even though mp isn’t my thing.

clarky

Banned

I don't know the solution but slayer needs its own hopper because it is so popular. To give 343 the benefit of the doubt this is the reason I think it's not here from the off. Give every mode a chance so people just don't gravitate to slayer from day one, personally I like all the modes bar the seeds one, but sometimes especially solo I'd just want to play slayer.

Havoc2049

I could see having a hard time finding a game in Fiesta. SWAT has always been fairly popular and I usually never had a hard time finding a SWAT match in Halo 4, 5 and MCC when those were the main line Halo games. Since Infinite is still new and has a large population it shouldn't be much of an issue finding a match.
I have not seen QR work for any online game.
343 can make it so it isn't annoying. In Sea of Thieves for example, if a player is idle for too long in the game itself or in the menus, it kicks the player out to the main title page. I never have to manually reset the game when I first start playing SoT and watch all the company logo title screens as the game loads, it just quick resumes from the main title page and works.

jakinov

project managers don't control people. they are glorified planners/organizers. managers manage people. I think you conflating the two again. As a project manager all you would do is make a new plan. and maybe complain to middle/upper management. But if you just mean managers, you also have to circle back to my other post a bit because when you have problems like major engine problems they don't show up right away they show up later and it becomes a hard decision of what you do restart or overcome. It's not easy to just gut your employees because they have domain knowledge of the existing sytems, the good people you keep will lose morale and you have to waste a lot of time retraining a bunch of people. Did managers make mistakes? most definately. But we don't know if the managers or project managers did anything that the average one of these people wouldn't have done. If have two years of engine development and it turns out the engine still isn't stable and you have a lot of bugs. The project becomes essentially more late and it always looks bad on everyone.Arguably as a manager your goal is to figure out and to try and make sure it doesn't happen again and bug middle/upper management to make company wide changes (if applicable).

At the end of the day, I think it's more fruitful to just complain that they suck at tech, they made dumb creative decsisions and what not then to blame specifc roles becaue we weren't there.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I have not seen QR work for any online game.
It works for eFootball. It shouldn't be hard to understand the disconnected from service state and retry the connection. It would save me a full reboot of the game.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There is a new driver from Amd heavily focused on Halo. I installed it after using DDU. I'm not having crashes since and it improved game's performance. No one in here seems to have crashes but maybe this will help someone:).

Last edited:
Top Bottom