• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harley Quinn & the Ladies of DC film in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sure would be amusing if Suicide Squad does more to set up a series of successful spinoffs/sequels than BvS did.

WB could have made a WW film since the 70s after buying DC. Marvel could only option off their properties until they were bought by Disney in 2009.

...but the MCU was announced over four years before the Disney acquisition, and launched over one year before it.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
It sure would be amusing if Suicide Squad does more to set up a series of successful spinoffs/sequels than BvS did.

...but the MCU was announced over four years before the Disney acquisition, and launched over one year before it.

Just wait until the Ropeguy standalone. 3 billion dollars and best picture guaranteed.

Penguin

Are you referring to Catwoman? Cuz Marvel had Electra! *shudder*

I think both companies deserve flack for taking so long - Marvel for having the means and the public good will for the past 8 years and not jumping on it and WB for ignoring Wonder Woman's potential for decades.

Eh more Supergirl which was in the early 80s.

But yes both had the capacity to do it, Marvel has just been in a much better position over the past decade and somehow still falling behind in that regard.

Effect

A Gotham City Sirens would be great. However what about Bombshells? How has that been received? That would allow them to move beyond the Batman character focus that Gotham City Sirens or Birds of Prey would have. Bombshells would open up the character roster to the entire female DC roster. I'd love to see Gal Gadot in the Bombshell costume as well.

If they bring in Catwoman, they should go with Darwyn Cooke style Catwoman.

There can't be any other.

catwoman_01.jpg

guek

Banned

Iron Man was in 2008, Disney bought Marvel in 2009. Prior to the buyout, Marvel had to option off their properties to other distribution companies like Paramount and Universal, which is why most of phase 1 wasn't distributed by Disney since those deals were already set.

GeeTeeCee

NOOOOOOOO

Though I'd gladly take a Genevieve Valentine crime lord Catwoman who has to get back into the game and get her hands dirty...

Given that Catwoman in this universe would have to line up with Affleck's semi-retired Batman, this version of Catwoman would probably work best.

Boke1879

I've said it countless times. If BvS had to be the sacrificial lamb for this universe to get the proper care then so be it. I think some interesting projects could be spawned from all of this as evident by this news. Hopefully SS is a good success because who knows what else we can get.

Penguin

Also, I long suggested, and feel like this more and more, that the DCEU will be connected differently than MCU.

In that, the main drivers of the universe would be Zack's movies MoS>BvS>JL 1>JL 2

And everything else is just splintered of and may not necessarily feed into a larger narrative, which works just as well for me honestly.

So... Warner planning on a spin-off of an unproven movie within the same universe?
What could go wrong right?

Aquaman and Cyborg look like hits right?

Saw 3 women dressed up as those 3 at the bar one Halloween. They called themselves Batman's Bitches. That would be a fun title for the movie.

Whoa. Perfect. That would go over very well, I imagine. I once saw a drawing of the three of them fucking. That might be a fun scene for the movie too. This movie is shaping up already!

Pau

I don't really like Catwoman hanging out with Harley and Ivy. But it seems I'm in the minority there. :p

guek

Banned
Eh more Supergirl which was in the early 80s.

But yes both had the capacity to do it, Marvel has just been in a much better position over the past decade and somehow still falling behind in that regard.

Should we really be giving DC props for Supergirl though? It probably would have been better for prospective female led comicbook movies if Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra had never been made at all.

But yeah, Marvel deserves criticism too. I just don't think WB is suddenly the progressive saviors here when they've taken so long themselves.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So... Warner planning on a spin-off of an unproven movie within the same universe?
What could go wrong right?

Aquaman and Cyborg look like hits right?
I'm plenty interested in Aquaman (barely even acknowledging Cyborg though), but DC has a bunch of female characters that could make a fucking great ensemble pic. This is about as inspired a decision as Suicide Squad.

Man I'm still curious at what point Harley really hit mainstream where she's all over Facebook and hot topic, feels like it happened over night
It was the same way with Deadpool. I have no idea how he got such a following before the movie got hyped up. Except for like, one or two animated appearances and a couple video games the only thing people outside of comics would have known Deadpool from was Wolverine: Origins. And I can't imagine that that got anyone interested in Deadpool.

LosDaddie

Banned
We don't know when the movie is set. For all we know we aren't getting it for a few years, maybe even after Justice League.

Not any different from whatever Marvel will have to do to have Ant-Man and the Wasp plus Captain Marvel in the middle of Thanos wrecking the Avengers.

I imagine Capt Marvel will be pivotal in Infinity War. I'm not sure about Wasp.

Savitar

As soon as began to see her in the footage knew the odds of her getting a film were good, Harley Quinn is currently one of DC's best selling properties and the appeal to so many people is huge with her. Men and women both love her. I could see this do crazy business.

Penguin

Should we really be giving DC props for Supergirl though? It probably would have been better for prospective female led comicbook movies if Supergirl, Catwoman, and Elektra had never been made at all.

But yeah, Marvel deserves criticism too. I just don't think WB is suddenly the progressive saviors here when they've taken so long themselves.

Oh not saying either deserves credit!

But you responded that Warner had the chance since the 70s

just saying going backwards does Marvel no favors. DC failed, but they tried twice before..... bad ideas

Shaanyboi

Banned
I imagine Capt Marvel will be pivotal in Infinity War. I'm not sure about Wasp.

Captain Marvel is still a heavy hitter. Wasp will be the one to knock the enemy off-guard in the most innocuous way imaginable, and yet will somehow be the most effective.

Yeah, over my country (Costa Rica), she has become a feminist icon as well... if only those ladies knew :p

Know what? She was a domestic abuse victim in a poisonous relationship who eventually excises the emotional tumor in her life, and instead lives life to its fullest and funnest on her own terms.

Penguin

Calling the Supergirl and Catwoman movies bad ideas has to be the understatement of the year.

Well, on paper a movie based on either isn't a terrible idea... it's just... they didn't make a movie about either of them

I don't know who they made a movie about!

EulaCapra

Oh I guess they don't really trust Birds of Prey as its own launching pad yet.

And fuck yeah! Say what you want about the current small slate of the DC Cinematic Universe, but they're already going triple the speed of what Marvel has done when it comes to getting female characters out there for the audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom