• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter reboot at HBO being announced soon?

xrnzaaas

I wish it was animated. It's just tough for those kids who get selected for live action format
You get a steady, high paid job for several years. Your popularity increases or skyrockets if you were an unknown actor. All you have to do is have some professionals handling your social media accounts for you so you don't have to deal with the trolls yourself.

kikkis

You get a steady, high paid job for several years. Your popularity increases or skyrockets if you were an unknown actor. All you have to do is have some professionals handling your social media accounts for you so you don't have to deal with the trolls yourself.
Yeah, but they are child actors on mega franchise. Radcliffe could have ended up being alcoholic if things had taken a different turn. He even acted one scene under influence.

Trogdor1123

An entire season per book?!

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Okay, maybe once you hit book 4 or 5 that MIGHT be justified, but particularly books 1 and 2 do not need THAT much screen time to adapt. People often forget the difference in mediums, what might take longer to establish through description and such in a book can often be shown visually in a film or such far more quickly.

I’m just worried, this smells slightly of Peter Jackson‘s Hobbit (for the record, I thought film 1 was great, but 2 and 3 had good moments but a lot of bullshit) as in this just means some stuff will be drawn out and a bunch of unnecessary original material will be stuffed in to justify the runtime.

I doubt this will measure up to the films (for all their faults, most people still see them as a solid adaptation) even if it becomes a more “accurate” adaptation (similarly, I do have criticisms of Kubrick’s The Shining for its deviations from the book, but it’s still far better than the “more accurate” TV series version) . Hell, good luck topping that classic John Williams score.

If HBO were to do a series set in the universe, I’d much rather see a new group of adult characters out exploring the world and dealing with threats rather than revisiting the exact same story in the exact same location.
Before the Percy Jackson stuff on Disney I would have agreed. It’s clearly doable and those books have less content than Harry Potter.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
What actors will be in reboot?My opinion i don't wait something interesting from reboot.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This is going to finacially bankrupt HBO lol each episode will be 20m like Stranger Things.
Are you sure? Can you imagine how many people will sub just to watch this and then either stay or let it lapse, don't underestimate how fucking gargantuan this franchise is, the 8 films alone brought in over £8bill and every time I go through Heathrow the Harry Potter shop is always busy so god only knows how much the merch brings in, my kids alone have about 30 Lego sets ffs.. this will be a massive money maker for HBO if they dont fuck it up and it'll be hard to fuck up when you already have the stories and movies as your starting point

Valedix

Are you sure? Can you imagine how many people will sub just to watch this and then either stay or let it lapse, don't underestimate how fucking gargantuan this franchise is, the 8 films alone brought in over £8bill and every time I go through Heathrow the Harry Potter shop is always busy so god only knows how much the merch brings in, my kids alone have about 30 Lego sets ffs.. this will be a massive money maker for HBO if they dont fuck it up and it'll be hard to fuck up when you already have the stories and movies as your starting point
One season per book is a recipe for disaster, none of the cast will stay until the end or it will get cancelled midway. Think of it like this, 1 season will take 6 months - 1 year for production then add 6-12 months for editing, never gonna work. I'm sure they'll find ways to finish it but it's never going to hit the same as the movies did. I am a huge HP fan so would love to see this work as a lot of the movies had cut stuff from the book and this is a prime opportunity for it to be showcased.

edit: not to mention it will be probably a 10 year long show for it to finish.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
One season per book is a recipe for disaster, none of the cast will stay until the end or it will get cancelled midway. Think of it like this, 1 season will take 6 months - 1 year for production then add 6-12 months for editing, never gonna work. I'm sure they'll find ways to finish it but it's never going to hit the same as the movies did. I am a huge HP fan so would love to see this work as a lot of the movies had cut stuff from the book and this is a prime opportunity for it to be showcased.

edit: not to mention it will be probably a 10 year long show for it to finish.

I dunno 1 book per season gives them plenty of wiggle room to grow the new characters/cast on an audience who grew up with the originals plus it gives them enough room to add in other layers/story beats to differentiate the show from the books/movies so we're not simply seeing a retread of what we know and love... Plus $$$, if this is a success which lets face it the odds are good, they'll want to keep milking it so 8 seasons of top tier successful telly is a winner for HBO & JK Rowlings bank accounts

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just IMAGINE the contract these actors are gonna have to sign. Either all 8 years locked down with a pretty good payout if the show is cancelled early or these folks are gonna MURDER HBO come renegotiation time because the audience will insist on actor continuity and HBO will have to pay ridiculous amounts for the last few seasons. Either way, pretty appealing to relatively unknown actors willing to be tied down for the next decade or so. But how are they gonna get any well known actors to anchor the series? Especially for the first book, there is really just the main bad guy that is a one and done part, all the teachers and family members are there for the duration along with the kids.

There is SO much at stake, I don't think HBO will be too extreme with the casting, it's gonna look a lot like the films for the kids, though I expect the teachers will look like they threw darts at a map of the globe as a lot of those depictions are less specific. But the internet will cry no matter what they do. No trans actors in prominent roles? CLEALRY Rowling's malicious force at work. Half the cast is pulled from a 4 block area of London? CLEARLY pandering to the "woke". This show is gonna be a horrific casualty of the current polarized social media circus.

Fake

Just don't use the name 'Harry Potter' if you not gonna put Harry Potter in the show. Follow the example of 'Hogwart Legacy'.

People will know before looking for underwhelming expectations. And we can also shutdown those woke whining folks that never had any interess in the franchise at all.

Kilau

Just don't use the name 'Harry Potter' if you not gonna put Harry Potter in the show. Follow the example of 'Hogwart Legacy'.

People will know before looking for underwhelming expectations. And we can also shutdown those woke whining folks that never had any interess in the franchise at all.
Is this not just going to be a retelling of the same 7 Harry Potter books but just in TV show format?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Just IMAGINE the contract these actors are gonna have to sign. Either all 8 years locked down with a pretty good payout if the show is cancelled early or these folks are gonna MURDER HBO come renegotiation time because the audience will insist on actor continuity and HBO will have to pay ridiculous amounts for the last few seasons. Either way, pretty appealing to relatively unknown actors willing to be tied down for the next decade or so. But how are they gonna get any well known actors to anchor the series? Especially for the first book, there is really just the main bad guy that is a one and done part, all the teachers and family members are there for the duration along with the kids.

There is SO much at stake, I don't think HBO will be too extreme with the casting, it's gonna look a lot like the films for the kids, though I expect the teachers will look like they threw darts at a map of the globe as a lot of those depictions are less specific. But the internet will cry no matter what they do. No trans actors in prominent roles? CLEALRY Rowling's malicious force at work. Half the cast is pulled from a 4 block area of London? CLEARLY pandering to the "woke". This show is gonna be a horrific casualty of the current polarized social media circus.
Yup yup, this so much. Not to mention it's going to be difficult to find a cast that is going to be equal or better than the movie cast which is already iconic. When people think of Harry Potter, they think of Daniel Radcliffe.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Can't say, but I not agaisnt a lore around maybe before Harry even born.
Is there really a story there? If it's Lily and James vs Voldemort we already know that story.

Let's be honest, the world building in Harry Potter is pretty shit. It's at an immature kids level and can't really sustain much in the way of exploration and examination without falling apart. The more fairy tale elements that defy logic clash with the muggle/wizard dynamics and how these 2 worlds somehow co-exist.

So unless they scrap EVERYTHING and let a talented storyteller revamp it all, keeping some of the better ideas but dumping a lot of shoddy structure of the books it's just gonna be a train wreck. As a whimsical kids show there is some promise, but at an HBO level that ain't gonna cut it.

Rowling wove a spell on a generation, one that defys me as to its allure, but I don't think they can capture that book/film double lightning strike again. Telling stories far removed from Potter/Voldemort unfortunately takes away from the main narrative and leaves nothing but a grab bag of disconnected magical elements that simply can not work unless all the previous lore is dumped and its all redone.

Fake

Is there really a story there? If it's Lily and James vs Voldemort we already know that story.

Let's be honest, the world building in Harry Potter is pretty shit. It's at an immature kids level and can't really sustain much in the way of exploration and examination without falling apart. The more fairy tale elements that defy logic clash with the muggle/wizard dynamics and how these 2 worlds somehow co-exist.

So unless they scrap EVERYTHING and let a talented storyteller revamp it all, keeping some of the better ideas but dumping a lot of shoddy structure of the books it's just gonna be a train wreck. As a whimsical kids show there is some promise, but at an HBO level that ain't gonna cut it.

Rowling wove a spell on a generation, one that defys me as to its allure, but I don't think they can capture that book/film double lightning strike again. Telling stories far removed from Potter/Voldemort unfortunately takes away from the main narrative and leaves nothing but a grab bag of disconnected magical elements that simply can not work unless all the previous lore is dumped and its all redone.

I sure do. Remember some pieces of Snape being bullying by Harry father?
Or when Sirius got expelled from his own house?
The time Snape and Lilian spend when they are young?
Sirius and his gang made a promisse to learn to transform into animals to support Lupin about being werewolf.

There are a huge opportunity to tell those stories.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I sure do. Remember some pieces of Snape being bullying by Harry father?
Or when Sirius got expelled from his own house?
The time Snape and Lilian spend when they are young?
Sirius and his gang made a promisse to learn to transform into animals to support Lupin about being werewolf.

There are a huge opportunity to tell those stories.
Eh, but we already know the outcomes. This prequel stuff has to either walk it's own path divorced from the books whilst retaining some of the characters and narrative beats or it's just gonna be a tepid "paint by numbers" cash grab. Look at the Fantastic Beasts stuff....yawn.

I just don't think the foundation is there to support much of this stuff, but I'm sure WB will spend a few hundred million trying.

Fake

Eh, but we already know the outcomes. This prequel stuff has to either walk it's own path divorced from the books whilst retaining some of the characters and narrative beats or it's just gonna be a tepid "paint by numbers" cash grab. Look at the Fantastic Beasts stuff....yawn.

I just don't think the foundation is there to support much of this stuff, but I'm sure WB will spend a few hundred million trying.

We story don't necessarily need to be told in their pespective.

Maybe a group of three friend from that era and those stories end up get involved.

All this depends of how gonna be telled.

Hibs

I thought they'd maybe make Draco black, but then I remembered you can't have an evil black kid on Tv these days. Someone out of the 4 is going to be race swapped though, and it can't be Ron or Harry, and Hermione has already been black so it's def her.

If only HBO had the balls to just do what the books did that the movies didn't. Follow the books with all the uncut content the movies didn't have, stay faithful to the characters and boom you'd have a huge success with a ton of online headlines calling the show racist...oh shit, fuck.

Last edited:
If they make Ron black and Hermione a lesbian audiences are going to nope outta there so fast and HBO will face a Rings of Power tier financial disaster

Your move, HBO

All I want from this show is

Correct casting (please no race swapping characters)

High budget

Each season being 10 to 15 episodes around 50 minutes to an hour long

Each season covering a book

Last edited:
Top Bottom