• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Done Quick, isn't accepting speedruns of ANY Harry Potter game currently without explanation.

HoodWinked

the Euler diagram among the speed running community organizers and those that hate J. K. Rowling is completely within the other. So it's pretty much a given.

UmxHNyY.jpeg

AGDQ was always pretty hard on pro LGBTIQJHYTV+@$ stuff.

It's no surprise they'd stand behind trans people rather than taking a neutral stance on it and risking getting called out by 0.02% of the people.
Is there anyone in their community that know what are all this letter stand for without Google search?

GymWolf

Lite?

Completely expected. I mean, just how many big runners of yore transitioned or came out as trans in the last ten years? The percentage there is absolutely disproportionate with any statistics on the topic. I’m sure it has nothing to do with most of these people being male nerds who spend literal thousands of hours playing video games, have poor real-life social skills and no idea how to relate with the other sex.

The event has gone from a cringefest to a wokefest. The runs are still good and I do watch some on YT, but not live anymore. At least COVID took the crowd out of the equation for the most part, which definitely benefited the show.
So more like "transitions done too quickly"?!

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If that's true, then it makes sense that they'd not include a product linked to someone acting against them.

I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand and sympathise with.

Edit: just in case it's not clear, that's not a dig at you @UnNamed, thanks for the info.
Maybe I'm too old or out of touch, but isn't all this craziness over jk saying men can't menstruate?

How can you be against someone by stating the obvious.

The sky is green Mr Reasonable Mr Reasonable , and if you disagree you are a bigot and against me, and will instantly go on my ignore!

Reeeeeee

ironmang

Seems like many of the GDQ speedrunners and organisers are transgender these days. This game had no chance.
Sad but I can see why they felt they needed to. Don't want them losing money for cancer research because a bunch of runners and commentators boycotted the event.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This comes as no surprise.

The personality type of people who speed run games (by and large) is that of someone who's socially awkward, suffers from low self esteem, introverted, relatively smart, and most probably lower middle class. That personality type is ripe for indoctrination by a strongly conveyed ideology.

No surprise a trans-heavy community would ban any games related to someone who they incorrectly regard as Satan.

I admire GDQ for the amount of money it raises for good causes, but they are captured completely by an ideology that might begin to negatively affect that fund raising, if the social commentary around it continues to be so poisonous.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Only thing I like about GDQ is watching the meltdown of the clowns compiled on Youtube.

I never really watch it live or even care to donate, so don't care if they refuse to play Harry Potter games.

I disagree, there's nothing I enjoy more than a mediocre speedrun of Banjo Kazooie getting interrupted every 5 minutes with another sob story about someone's dead grandma or cancer diagnosis.
Yeah GDQ isn't for me either but some people like a chance to express their feelings on life changing events. Sorry you can't handle a young person expressing their life being shortened and/or ruined for medical issues. You may be low on empathy.

Edit: Or just high on hate like a lot the crowd here

Last edited:
Yeah GDQ isn't for me either but some people like a chance to express their feelings on life changing events. Sorry you can't handle a young person expressing their life being shortened and/or ruined for medical issues. You may be low on empathy.

Maybe. I do find it hard to have empathy for faceless strangers paying to have their sad tale read aloud.

Really though it's the wild juxtaposition in tone that gets me.

Maybe. I do find it hard to have empathy for faceless strangers paying to have their sad tale read aloud.

Really though it's the wild juxtaposition in tone that gets me.
Yeah I don't really understand paying to have it read out loud by someone that pretends to care to people who give zero shits. I'm about to go through radiation and chemo a second time so I think you just hit my trigger full blast. I pretty much only talk about my stuff with the people that ask me for updates on it.

Yeah I don't really understand paying to have it read out loud by someone that pretends to care to people who give zero shits. I'm about to go through radiation and chemo a second time so I think you just hit my trigger full blast. I pretty much only talk about my stuff with the people that ask me for updates on it.

Sorry if I bummed you out. Good luck with everything.

Boss Mog

Another bunch bowing to the blue-haired mob huh. Speedruns are pretty meanilingless anyway since they all use hacks nowadays. For me the only valid speedrun is a run where you play the game 100% normally.

Duchess

This shit is starting to get dumb now. Puffin, the publisher of Roald Dahl's books, has just begun rewriting the man's work, so as not to upset sensitive readers.

Are we really moving towards that era in human existence where we need to start wrapping everyone in shitloads of cotton wool?

Drizzlehell

Banned
GDQ is a shitty event that always pandered to whatever bullshit was en vogue to pander to at the time, but over the years it became less and less about having fun watching skilled dudes doing sick ass runs of awesome games, and instead they spent like 70% of the time reading some sorry ass "my two dads died of cancer" messages. I just checked out at some point because it was boring and cringe as fuck. I think the last straw was when they banned that guy for making his speedrun too much fun to watch by shooting the shit with his co-commentators and doing impressions of Owen Wilson. That was literally like a "NO FUN ALLOWED" moment for GDQ.

Fuck GDQ, they suck ass.

Last edited:
GDQ is a shitty event that always pandered to whatever bullshit was en vogue to pander to at the time, but over the years it became less and less about having fun watching skilled dudes doing sick ass runs of awesome games, and instead they spent like 70% of the time reading some sorry ass "my two dads died of cancer" messages. I just checked out at some point because it was boring and cringe as fuck. I think the last straw was when they banned that guy for making his speedrun too much fun to watch by shooting the shit with his co-commentators and doing impressions of Owen Wilson. That was literally like a "NO FUN ALLOWED" moment for GDQ.

Fuck GDQ, they suck ass.
That Jak and Daxter run by Bonesaw is fucking hilarious. You kind of have to watch from the start when it is a little boring because it is one of those "descent into madness" things.

MacReady13

https://www.thegamer.com/hogwarts-legacy-speedrun-games-done-quick-ban/

Games Done Quick has banned ALL Harry Potter games without a reason officially given, though it's very, very likely they did it because they are knee-deep into the "controversy" currently ongoing. It's not just Hogwarts Legacy, it's ANY Harry Potter game according to TheLamer.

I have a feeling that people are going to drag this out until summer if not after.

So effectively, Games Done Quick is also banning Harry Potter Fans that want to play any game from the series.

I wonder if Games Done Quick will endorse that "69 game" protest pack for speed runners instead, they haven't made an official statement on the reason the games are banned yet, I'm sure it's going to be cringe and poorly planned.
I stopped watching this woke bullshit years ago. Pronouns for speed runners. Banning shit like this. Shady shit with speed runners. No loss to me. Fucking tossers.

ShadowNate

Well, there are trans people who take no issue with JKR or the game because, you know, they both are very pro diversity and real trans issues.

So if they catering to anyone it's the misguided allies and the mentally defective "activist" mob.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
This stuff always reeks of hypocrisy. These same people (and I am one of them) get up in arms when books are banned and burned and censored but then some of these same people are fine making similar decisions regarding speech, media, etc. They are blind to how much they are like those they despise.

Top Bottom