• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games Done Quick, isn't accepting speedruns of ANY Harry Potter game currently without explanation.

https://www.thegamer.com/hogwarts-legacy-speedrun-games-done-quick-ban/
Games Done Quick isn't accepting Hogwarts Legacy speedruns for its various live events, adding the new release to its list of disallowed games. This ban extends to all Harry Potter video games, suggesting that event organisers don't want to be seen as promoting the series and, therefore, its author JK Rowling.

GDQ doesn't appear to have announced the decision, nor has it explained it. However, it can be assumed that this decision was made due to the various controversies that surrounded Hogwarts Legacy's launch, as well as the fact that many decided to give the game a miss due to Rowling's transphobic views.

As seen in the GDQ submissions guide, "the Harry Potter Series, including Hogwarts Legacy" is on the list of disallowed games, meaning we aren't likely to see any Harry Potter runs at the next speedrunning marathon event.

The Harry Potter series isn't the only one banned from GDQ events. Other disallowed games include God of War (2005), the Huniepop series, and every Five Nights at Freddy's game. Admittedly, these other bans are more likely to be related to their content, perhaps being unsuitable for audiences and putting the event's livestream at risk of being taken down.

However, both the Harry Potter and Five Nights at Freddy's bans are said to be "subject to further review in the future," so it's possible that these rules will change before the next event.

It's not clear when the decision to ban Hogwarts Legacy was made, but it's made its way onto the list well ahead of the next main event, Summer Games Done Quick in May. We've reached out to GDQ for clarification, but regardless of the reason, it is hardly alone in deciding to skip Hogwarts Legacy.

Here at TheCryBabies who believe in fact-free & evidence-free ideological talking points without any exploration[bold added by OP], we aren't covering the game itself, instead focusing on the context around its release. Ultimately, Rowling has made it clear that she views Harry Potter's ongoing financial success as an endorsement of her views, so many don't want to contribute to this or embolden her further.

Games Done Quick has banned ALL Harry Potter games without a reason officially given, though it's very, very likely they did it because they are knee-deep into the "controversy" currently ongoing. It's not just Hogwarts Legacy, it's ANY Harry Potter game according to TheLamer.

I have a feeling that people are going to drag this out until summer if not after.

So effectively, Games Done Quick is also banning Harry Potter Fans that want to play any game from the series.

I wonder if Games Done Quick will endorse that "69 game" protest pack for speed runners instead, they haven't made an official statement on the reason the games are banned yet, I'm sure it's going to be cringe and poorly planned.

Last edited:
There go your royalties for a sale of a The Sorcerers Stone on the PS1, Rowling.

Checkmate.

Last good agdq was 2014 I think
They are idiots who don’t accept anyone else views.

I disagree, there's nothing I enjoy more than a mediocre speedrun of Banjo Kazooie getting interrupted every 5 minutes with another sob story about someone's dead grandma or cancer diagnosis.

Last edited:
never seen anything get so much hate from the woke mob ..................has to be at the top

Nah, it's just the top in regards to the gaming community, this is the first major "controversy' that linked the political social media nonsense to the gaming industry this hard. There's been bridges like that before, but this happened in the missle of the PEAK anger toward Rowling and then crossed into gaming at the same time.

Despite her having nothing to do with the game.

And the devs adding in a new character to cater to the protestors, which the protestors are ignoring making that work and effort pointless.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Fuck 'em. None of the fits being thrown over this game have mattered. In fact, it may have had the opposite effect. Buddy of mine doesn't even like Harry Potter and bought it just to spite people like them. The game has sold gangbusters, reviewed very well, and J.K. Rowling, and her lovely breasts, continue to vex these people to my delight.

ShadowLag

Yep, GDQ has been run by irrelevant virtue signallers for almost a decade now. I haven't watched a single event of theirs since about 2015. Ironic thing is, their runners and their audience were already completely diverse (ticking all the boxes, if you will) even back when the events were still fun to watch - it was great fun filled with tons of awesome people, and the events soared in popularity despite this alleged prevalance of "gamer transphobia and misogyny" that apparently existed and needed to be eradicated. So, they REEEEEEEE'd, and have been taking a Soviet flamethrower to a problem that never existed, to this day. Much like every other form of media today.

mortal

Gold Member
znrrsyd.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
GDQ is controlled by weirdos and mentally ill people, they're basically resetera lite
Lite?

Completely expected. I mean, just how many big runners of yore transitioned or came out as trans in the last ten years? The percentage there is absolutely disproportionate with any statistics on the topic. I’m sure it has nothing to do with most of these people being male nerds who spend literal thousands of hours playing video games, have poor real-life social skills and no idea how to relate with the other sex.

The event has gone from a cringefest to a wokefest. The runs are still good and I do watch some on YT, but not live anymore. At least COVID took the crowd out of the equation for the most part, which definitely benefited the show.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Many speedrunners, or at least many speedrunners at GDQ are trans, so no wonder why they banned HP.

If that's true, then it makes sense that they'd not include a product linked to someone acting against them.

I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand and sympathise with.

Edit: just in case it's not clear, that's not a dig at you U UnNamed , thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Top Bottom