• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard cancels rest of Men's soccer season over lewd ratings of female players

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Harvard announced on Thursday that it was canceling the rest of the season for its men’s soccer team after university officials uncovered what they described as a widespread practice of the team’s players rating the school’s female players in sexually explicit terms.

Lawyers for the university began investigating the men’s team after the college newspaper, The Harvard Crimson, reported last week that a player created a nine-page document in 2012 with numeric ratings, photos and lengthy evaluations of the freshman recruits of the Harvard women’s team based on their physical appearance. Men on the team referred to the document as a “scouting report.”

“We have seen the ‘scouting report’ in its entirety,” they wrote. “We know the fullest extent of its contents: the descriptions of our bodies, the numbers we were each assigned, and the comparison to each other and recruits in classes before us. This document attempts to pit us against one another, as if the judgment of a few men is sufficient to determine our worth.”

Drew Faust, Harvard’s president, indicated in a statement on Thursday that she had learned the practice was not isolated to 2012 and had continued into this year.

Harvard was No. 1 in the Ivy League standings with a 4-0-1 conference record, 10-3-2 over all. Only two regular-season games were left in the men’s season, against Columbia, which is tied for second, and the University of Pennsylvania. Harvard will forfeit the opportunity to win an Ivy League championship or participate in this year’s N.C.A.A. tournament, Mr. Scalise wrote.

How did they manage to get into Harvard in the first place?! Disgusting

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/sports/harvard-mens-soccer-season-canceled.html

Laiza

Somehow, every time a new scandalous example of institutional misogyny comes out, I fail to be shocked or even surprised by it.

It's more of a "oh, this again?" moment for me now. That says something, I think.

Seems like an overreaction to me. Has anyone seriously never rated people on the looks and sex appeal before?

Seems like this happens all the time from both men and women.

Edit: Missed the bolded part. That makes it worse than I originally thought.

Proelite

Man, hope Duke ball team isnt dumb enough to do this and get caught for it. Were all about sex scandals.

Tagyhag

It's actually nice to hear a school doing something about it.

Guaranteed certain unis wouldn't have actually cancelled anything. Get fucked dumbasses.

JeTmAn81

Unless the women were unfairly treated because of their looks, why does it matter what men say or think about them behind closed doors?

devilhawk

It's actually nice to hear a school doing something about it.

Guaranteed certain unis wouldn't have actually cancelled anything. Get fucked dumbasses.
I would wager that most public universities legally probably couldn't. Private schools have far more leeway, but also in the other direction too
Baylor.

Zaphrynn

Eh, private school. They can do whatever.

Would be an interesting story if it was a public school, however.

Seems like an overreaction to me. Has anyone seriously never rated people on the looks and sex appeal before?

GAF has been disappointing the shit out of me lately with these types of threads.

Yeah, totally normal and ok to LITERALLY have binders full of women. Not just women, fellow classmates in the same sport.

The fuck. This isn't cool or normal. It's creepy, demeaning, and shitty.

Phamit

Sure, but usually you don't have 9 page report with photos

Saganator

Unless the women were unfairly treated because of their looks, why does it matter what men say or think about them behind closed doors?

Uh they made a fucking book and passed it around. I'm sure there were "top prospects" they were all trying to hook up with. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept a score either.

Sapientas

Binder filled with candid photos with comparisons and rates. Specifically referred to as a "scouting report" of your fellow classmates. I'm sure all unattractive or overweight girls were treated with utmost respect and dignity.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that does matter a lot.

There's a huge difference between talking about people with other people and systematically documenting them. For fuck's sake.

I appreciate that Harvard has zero tolerance for this.

Arc

Definitely a problem when it's systematic. But don't pretend like these kids are horrible people. Rude and naive sure, but you probably rated girls based on their looks when you were young and stupid too. Let's not overreact.

devilhawk

GAF has been disappointing the shit out of me lately with these types of threads.

Yeah, totally normal and ok to LITERALLY have binders full of women. Not just women, fellow classmates in the same sport.

Come on. I never disputed that these guys are misogynist assholes. They absolutely are. I never said it was ok to be one either.

But "Should you be a misogynist asshole?" isn't an interesting discussion. "Can a public school legally do something about misogynist assholes?" is a far more interesting one.

How did they manage to get into Harvard in the first place?! Disgusting

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/sports/harvard-mens-soccer-season-canceled.html

I don't condone what the guys did, but what do their transgressions have to do with getting into Harvard? Harvard cares more about one's accolades, and maybe their life story depending on the field you want to get into (which is almost always embellished to increase chances of getting in). Furthermore, how was Harvard supposed to know that these men would speak of/create a document of women in that way? They don't have a section of the application that asks men if they view women as objects to rate.

Armaros

Come on. I never disputed that these guys are misogynist assholes. They absolutely are. I never said it was ok to be one either.

But "Should you be a misogynist asshole?" isn't an interesting discussion. "Can a public school legally do something about misogynist assholes?" is a far more interesting one.

Harvard isn't public.

The Llama

Not saying they shouldn't have punished, but their mistake was writing it down. Kind of ignorant to think that this doesn't happen all over tbh. Just not written down in a 'fancy' and 'creative' way like they did because lol Ivy League.

Wild Card

If this was just men rating the women on a scale it wouldn't warrant much attention, it's not behavior I would partake in but I wouldn't raise much of a stink over it.

However this, is far deeper and more extensive than I would actually imagine anyone going through the effort of doing. Detailed documentation? Really? What the fuck dudes, can't say the action taken was unjustified.

Man, the couple of you defending this shit need to get your heads checked. Glad the University is doing something about it.

Created in 2012 huh, wonder if they were inspired by this.

R-Money-Binders-Fulla-Women-Album.png

Seriously though, that's fucking creepy. Can't believe folks are going "Don't act like you've never done it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom