• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard cancels rest of Men's soccer season over lewd ratings of female players

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious on the double standard here with Gaf on it. Speaking, they are doing the same exact thing most threads here turn into about women, specifically when there is a comparison at hand.

Some from the Taylor and Drake thread.

I mean, maybe numbers are nicer than calling someone a corpse? I guess to say, where is the line drawn at between "Guy" talk and sexist shit.

Huh, never thought of stuff posted on a forum like that. But I can see the similarities.

Zaphrynn

Yup, and yet everyone's acting like only male college students do this kind of stuff

Plenty of people quoting that girl from Duke, which is also creepy.

However, "but x does it too!" doesn't make this any less fucked. And let's not pretend that women and men are on equal footing in society, especially when it comes to objectification.

Lastly, this is a situation about men specifically doing this to women. It's kinda fucked to ignore that women deal with this behavior extremely often, and it has a very real affect on our lives, by going "Yeah but women have also done this!" Yeah, they can, and do, but let's be honest with ourselves about the ratios.

Exactly, however I don't know why you're equating it to creepiness. Typically, the men that are "creepy" are those that are incredibly passive, or their advances are constantly rejected due to their unawareness of how creepy they actually are.

I was calling making detailed reports of women creepy. I doubt most of the guys on the soccer team are "incredibly passive", but they're still doing this stuff because they only see the women as objects to pursue.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Exactly, however I don't know why you're equating it to creepiness. Typically, the men that are "creepy" are those that are incredibly passive, or their advances are constantly rejected due to their unawareness of how creepy they actually are.

Societal norms did dictate what we are thought to find creepy. As you said, we view it as the passive guy who isn't unaware of his position. Yet, someone like Trump is the exact opposite of what you described and he is an absolute creep, on top of being a miserable piece of shit. He feels like the very definition of a creep between the grabbing, barging in, comments, sexual harassment, underage, etc.

Which I always felt like is damaging. A passive dude getting called creepy, because he doesn't fit in with the typical definition. Yet, basically a sexual predator wouldn't be associate with it since he is aggressive. I feel like at times we've termed the wrong people with the word, or better to say, the wrong actions which it should be associated with. It should be with how their pursue women and their intentions, so people like the Nice Guy TM and Trump are equally creeps.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I've always been curious on the double standard here with Gaf on it. Speaking, they are doing the same exact thing most threads here turn into about women, specifically when there is a comparison at hand.

Some from the Taylor and Drake thread.

I mean, maybe numbers are nicer than calling someone a corpse? I guess to say, where is the line drawn at between "Guy" talk and sexist shit.

Knowing the women personally makes it a bit different, but you aren't entirely wrong.

Alienfan

I can't lie, I know it's a spelling mistake, but I'm imagining 20 guys huddle over a piece of toast, writing down numbers.

Unless they actually were writing down numbers on a piece of toast... then I'm sorry and crying

No, it wasn't a spelling mistake :p I mean they each had their own piece of toast, it was really bizarre lol

image.php

6/10

I was calling making detailed reports of women creepy. I doubt most of the guys on the soccer team are "incredibly passive", but they're still doing this stuff because they only see the women as objects to pursue.

See I don't think it's creepy within this specific context, and more a tradition they participated as a team that's been handed down within their sports culture. A tradition Harvard plans on breaking by giving them a severe punishment.

Societal norms did dictate what we are thought to find creepy. As you said, we view it as the passive guy who isn't unaware of his position. Yet, someone like Trump is the exact opposite of what you described and he is an absolute creep, on top of being a miserable piece of shit. He feels like the very definition of a creep between the grabbing, barging in, comments, sexual harassment, underage, etc.

Which I always felt like is damaging. A passive dude getting called creepy, because he doesn't fit in with the typical definition. Yet, basically a sexual predator wouldn't be associate with it since he is aggressive. I feel like at times we've termed the wrong people with the word, or better to say, the wrong actions which it should be associated with.

Ok, now this is a good point. However I do think we need to make a distinction because they are two very different types of creepiness.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
They watched too much Veronica Mars

That episode was probably based on a real events. Fraternities can be the fucking worst.

No, it wasn't a spelling mistake :p I mean they each had their own piece of toast, it was really bizarre lol

How does one rate with toast. Did they scratch numbers in the toast, did they break it into little chunks, tell me about the toast

I don't get how someone can go "not really that bad" when my reaction was they went to creepier lengths than I expected. I'm curious how important the men's soccer Program is to the school considering they shut it down.

Tall4Life

I don't get how someone can go "not really that bad" when my reaction was they went to creepier lengths than I expected. I'm curious how important the men's soccer Program is to the school considering they shut it down.

They didn't shut down the program, they stopped their season.

Mesoian

Somehow, every time a new scandalous example of institutional misogyny comes out, I fail to be shocked or even surprised by it.

It's more of a "oh, this again?" moment for me now. That says something, I think.

I mean hell, this is what started Facebook down the road. It really is just par for the course.

And that's stupid.

wildfire

Banned
I doubt they make a nine page report on it

This forum bans threads about women's physical appearance because we usually are crude in general. You personally may not like to participate in such discussions or are more gentlemanly about it but a lot of guys express themselves differently.

If Havard wants this to be taken seriously they pretty much shouldn't leave it at this suspension.

Mesoian

This forum bans threads about women's physical appearance because we usually are crude in general. You personally may not like to participate in such discussions or are more gentlemanly about it but a lot of guys express themselves differently.

If Havard wants this to be taken seriously
they pretty much shouldn't leave it at this suspension.

Trust me, they don't.

wildfire

Banned

You don't know that.

We all are interested in sexual partners in part due to lust.

You assume way too much about how they feel about potential partners.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
You don't know that.

We all are interested in sexual partners in part due to lust.

You assume way too much about how they feel about potential partners.

Nobody makes lists like that of "potential partners." They made a scoresheet, not eHarvardy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ok, now this is a good point. However I do think we need to make a distinction because they are two very different types of creepiness.

Hell, more than that. Thinking back to myself when I had zero to little experience. I did a lot of creepy things in retrospect, I can't blame the girls for responding too. Did I mean harm? Never, but damn did I make some poor choices. I wouldn't have called myself a creep though, just someone with no experience and no idea.

I think you have like creepy actions, but not creepy people too. It's like a little kid who says a bad word and no one ever told him it was bad. You may think the secret admirer shit is a good idea thanks to TV, but really it's a creepy action your unaware of it. When the intent is malicious though like Trump or the "Nice Guy" bit, then it's a creepy person doing a creepy thing.

watershed

Banned
Disgusting and it happens everywhere. Trying to change how men think in this way was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Hell, more than that. Thinking back to myself when I had zero to little experience. I did a lot of creepy things in retrospect, I can't blame the girls for responding too. Did I mean harm? Never, but damn did I make some poor choices.

Like what? I got to hear the creepy details. LOL

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Like what? I got to hear the creepy details. LOL

I did the bullshit confession. Even wrote a letter for her after I got dumped saying how I hope for the best still and wish you well. LOL. She thought I was going to hurt myself, when I was just damned depressed I got dumped. First time it happened.

I always had it in my mind on the confessional crap. You know, the romantic spiel to win over the love. The crown of sonnets, though I didn't do that one. Got close.

wildfire

Banned
Nobody makes lists like that of "potential partners." They made a scoresheet, not eHarvardy.

Get real. You never been in a convo where someone asks you for a score?

You automatically assume the person asking or you answering only consists the physical appearance? How do you talk to other guys who do this?

Whether a girl is high maintenence,laid-back, bubbly,clingy does get factored in even when talking with people we regard as associates let alone friends.

I did the bullshit confession. Even wrote a letter for her after I got dumped saying how I hope for the best still and wish you well. LOL. She thought I was going to hurt myself, when I was just damned depressed I got dumped.

See that's more lame to me than creepy. I have a friend who's always been kinda weird so he comes across really creepy to girls. For one, if he's really attracted to a women, he gets mesmerized and can't help staring at her. It's creepy as hell, amongst the other things he does.

KahooTs

The college did these women no favours by creating for them the expectation that emotionally hurtful actions receive institutionalised punishment, or that they should.
This document attempts to pit us against one another, as if the judgment of a few men is sufficient to determine our worth.
The likelihood that they created this document to pit woman against woman is not likely the case considering the secretive nature of the document.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
See that's more lame to me than creepy. I have a friend who's always been kinda weird so he comes across really creepy to girls. For one, if he's really attracted to a women, he gets mesmerized and can't help staring at her. It's creepy as hell, amongst the other things he does.

It depends I feel like that too is being creepy and unsettling, but I also felt while my actions where that "Romantic confession of love", it was creepy when I finally had it happen to me. It's like that feeling you get when you got out on the first date and they are already thinking about the engagement. As you said, I do think there are different versions of creepy dudes and actions.

KahooTs

The only thing I'll add to this conversation is that all of my wife's friends knows the size and shape of my penis. And that info did not come from me.

But that's not really the issue here. The real question is did anyone put it in writing? And was some kind of binding involved?

wildfire

Banned
But that's not really the issue here. The real question is did anyone put it in writing? And was some kind of binding involved?

Wtf? It doesn't matter if this is done in writing or not.

It either is or isn't unacceptable behavior.

Besides for a guy penis size is one of the few sensitive enough topics to say that is comparable to bringing actual discomfort in guys while women are more sensitive about their overall appearance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Only two games. It's a slap on the wrist. You want to show them real punishment? Expel them from the athletics. Expel them from the school.

Alienfan

Only two games. It's a slap on the wrist. You want to show them real punishment? Expel them from the athletics. Expel them from the school.

That might be a step too far, community service, a public apology + education/explanations to prevent this kind of behaviour again. What they did was wrong, but ruining their life is in no way a proportionate punishment; having them recognise their mistake and learn from it is the best outcome imo. Otherwise why have punishment at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom