• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard cancels rest of Men's soccer season over lewd ratings of female players

Status
Not open for further replies.
That might be a step too far, community service, a public apology + education/explanations to prevent this kind of behaviour again. What they did was wrong, but ruining their life is in no way a proportionate punishment; having them recognise their mistake and learn from it is the best outcome imo. Otherwise why have punishment at all?

This is the punishment for four (known) years of this behavior. An entire college career for the women targeted by the scouting reports spent knowing this is how your peers see you. I'd say 2 canceled games for the men is pretty light on them and there are shades between that and 'ruining their life' that we shouldn't shy away from expecting.

What kind of document was it Excel, Power Point, PDF, Word, Notepad, Email, Paint. Personally I would use Google docs so everyone can see their inputs in real-time.

Sky Chief

Ugh as a Duke student (and a woman) this is more horrifying because I have an intimate familiarity with all of these places: Wilson, Perkins etc. o_o

...oh and the place I live :/

This is not ok for men or women to do... jesus

Lol, I personally know most of these guys which made the time that this came out extremely awkward

This stuff seems to happen often in universities. Had a local story here this year about a student group keeping a list of new female students, with their pictures, ratings and comments on how they are in bed and phone numbers even. Disgusting stuff.

Good on Harvard for stepping in. Always amazed nobody who is a part of groups like this say "this is messed up."

A few years ago there was a widely used smartphone app called Lulu that allowed girls to anonymously rate men and pulled pictures from Facebook. It was pretty weird and creepy being shown I was on there

South Park has shown us EXACTLY what happens when boys or girls make The List:

http://southpark.cc.com/full-episodes/s11e14-the-list

Spoiler:
Social Revolution!

But yeah......kinda thought these sort of things were mostly just pop culture references, not actual things...ffs. At Harvard of all places. Aren't people there supposed to be smart?

Exactly what I was thinking about. Man, what the fuck kind of system is this sheesh. Reading that stuff was creepy as hell.

Mathieran

Banned
I'm impressed a school actually did something like this to punish the players. After all the shit we've seen people get away with to only get a slap on the wrist. I'd like to see more of this in college and professional sports.

I see a lot of people saying this is an overreaction and I have to disagree. It's just the boys being boys attitude all over again. I never did shit like this growing up and we shouldn't excuse people who do. It's different to say a girl is hot but to sit around and make documents ranking them and everything is disgusting. We need to make sure people know this isn't okay.

Kill3r7

A college athletic department with some moral backbone? How refreshing.

1) To be fair, most Ivy League schools have shown more of a moral backbone than the norm when it comes to these issues
2) Olympic sports are easier to regulate (less boosters to piss off)
3) I would like to think that most athletic departments today are smart enough to realize the repercussions of inaction or a coverup in such situations.

The photos and 9 pages of documentation is too much, but the rating and everything isn't really out of the norm.

Both females and males play the rating game when it comes to the opposite sex. People are kind of programmed to evaluate someone's physical appearance and judge them in comparison to others - they just put this in a document instead of thinking it in their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom