• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harvard cancels rest of Men's soccer season over lewd ratings of female players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

If this was just men rating the women on a scale it wouldn't warrant much attention, it's not behavior I would partake in but I wouldn't raise much of a stink over it.

However this, is far deeper and more extensive than I would actually imagine anyone going through the effort of doing. Detailed documentation? Really? What the fuck dudes, can't say the action taken was unjustified.

This. It's about the systemic creepiness. College dudes are always going to be regular creepy.

Zakalwe

Banned
When guys around me start with this kind of conversation, I always feel uncomfortable. Not in a bashful way, more a repulsion.

I used to think it was something wrong with me, I began to realise I simply have more respect for other people than that which I'm ok with.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Unless the women were unfairly treated because of their looks, why does it matter what men say or think about them behind closed doors?

Say being the keyword in your argument

If it was "Overheard the team being vulgar about the women" it would be a concern but no proof in context

This is a 9 page document with pinpoint details and assessments of the women and treating them like objects
Also not a one time thing, almost a tradition of doing it

So yeah its a problem

Rude and naive sure, but you probably rated girls based on their looks when you were young and stupid too. Let's not overreact.

Yes, we did.

But we didn't compile a written report and then share it amongst a group of 20 or so people.

The very fact that it was called the 'scouting report' makes me think that this document contained some highly personal information about these women.

Unless the women were unfairly treated because of their looks, why does it matter what men say or think about them behind closed doors?

Pro-tip: don't put "locker room talk" on wax.

It got out and many of them feel it is demeaning, and Harvard feels that kind of crude behavior is beneath their prestige.

It matters because now all of the incoming female players know the men only think of them, their academic and athletic peers, as sex objects.

What's next? Can't fap to a girl without her consent? Gross..😐

---

Is this gonna become a girls rank short guys thread? It is, isn't it?

Seesaw15

If this was just men rating the women on a scale it wouldn't warrant much attention, it's not behavior I would partake in but I wouldn't raise much of a stink over it.

However this, is far deeper and more extensive than I would actually imagine anyone going through the effort of doing. Detailed documentation? Really? What the fuck dudes, can't say the action taken was unjustified.

That's how I feel. Verbally judging people on there appearance isn't cool but its tacitly expected/accepted. Putting in the leg work and making excel spreadsheets and powerpoints is a whole other level.

akileese

Not even past the first 10.

It's because there's a ton of driveby shitposting in these threads from people who read titles and don't actually read the content. If you scan for keywords and make assumptions you can think "huh, this seems a bit extreme.". If you actually take the time to read the article and realize what these people did was systemic and incredibly unsettling it's pretty obvious that this was the correct course of action.

Zakalwe

Banned
Do women never rate men when they get together for "girl talk"?

As there is a type of lad that behaves this way, there are similar girls who also do. So yes, girls do have conversations in this vein.

Have they kept binders with ratings of guys? It's really not an impossible thought.

How much of this kind of behaviour is because of nurture within a patriarchal system? That would be an interesting question.

Yes, girls do talk this way sometimes. I used to work in a shitty bar, I heard a lot from all sides.

The idea that week can't be crude and objectifying about the opposite gender is ridiculous.

I'm not talking about rating other men. I mean the constant unwanted appraisal and harassment by men.

Oh, this is almost certainly a distinctly male trait.

Belfast

Definitely a problem when it's systematic. But don't pretend like these kids are horrible people. Rude and naive sure, but you probably rated girls based on their looks when you were young and stupid too. Let's not overreact.

They are horrible people, and you were a horrible person when you were young and stupid, and I was a horrible person when I was young and stupid.

The frequency with which something happens alone does not determine whether it is right or wrong. It's time we own up to our shit.

Not

Banned
We were horrible people when we were young because there were comparatively fewer consequences for us, as well as unchecked social facilitation. A society has to rein people in to function, but men get the most free passes.

Zakalwe

Banned
They are horrible people, and you were a horrible person when you were young and stupid, and I was a horrible person when I was young and stupid.

The frequency with which something happens alone does not determine whether it is right or wrong. It's time we own up to our shit.

It would be better to be less emotional about it.

"Horrible" is too much of a firework. Big Bang, leaves you wanting more substance.

Sunster

That has everything to do with society making men the pursuers.

tumblr_lyahi6IS7j1qbte00.gif

kmfdmpig

Harvard is where the precursor to Facebook, which similarly focused on rating women, started as well. I wonder why male students there are so fond of rating women numerically.

USC-fan

Banned
Wonder if this would happen at a school that cared about sports. You see some just crazy story of cover up of rape and paid hookers to get recruits. But nothing really happens to those programs. Nothing extreme as this.

I've always been curious on the double standard here with Gaf on it. Speaking, they are doing the same exact thing most threads here turn into about women, specifically when there is a comparison at hand.

Some from the Taylor and Drake thread.
wow do you have a link to that thread?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
it's perpetuating the problem. This kind of behaviour isn't harmless, it affects people negatively. It shouldn't happen.

I've always been curious on the double standard here with Gaf on it. Speaking, they are doing the same exact thing most threads here turn into about women, specifically when there is a comparison at hand.

I mean the downgrade tho...

bland boring & white?

Bruh, tf. Rihanna was pure bliss. She look like the type that got you rolling your eyes back, speaking in tongue when you cum. Be looking like doctor strange be flying through dimensions and what not when you bust a nut. T Swifts on the other hand looks like fucking rigor mortis. Drake needs help if this is true. This dude lost it.
I still fuck with Swifts music though.

She's such downgrade from his usual women, not attractive in the slightest. Skin and bones, like a corpse. Yuk

I mean, maybe numbers are nicer than calling someone a corpse? I guess to say, where is the line drawn at between "Guy" talk and sexist shit.

Alienfan

On the first day at my dorm, the boys on my floor stood in a line and each rated the girls on a piece of toast as they walked past. This type of behaviour is so messed and accepted

Wonder if this would happen at a school that cared about sports. You see some just crazy story of cover up of rape and paid hookers to get recruits. But nothing really happens to those programs. Nothing extreme as this.

Of course not, no Division 1 school would ever cancel football or basketball season over something like this. There's way too much money on the line.

A lot of guys don't have the luxury to be passive in order to get with the type of girl they want. Someone has to take an initiative.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
On the first day at my dorm, the boys on my floor stood in a line and each rated the girls on a piece of toast as they walked past. This type of behaviour is so messed and accepted

Did they write the rating in some type of condiment?

MUnited83

For you.
Do women never rate men when they get together for "girl talk"?

One thing is that.

A entirely fucking different thing is compiling one entire book obsessively compiling every single person in the team analysing each one of the looks and pass that book around every other person. That isn't normal. That's creepy ass stalker behaviour.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

I can't lie, I know it's a spelling mistake, but I'm imagining 20 guys huddle over a piece of toast, writing down numbers.

Unless they actually were writing down numbers on a piece of toast... then I'm sorry and crying

Definitely. And how you were raised. Men don't have some inherent quality to creep on women; society teaches them that they are supposed to chase.

Exactly, however I don't know why you're equating it to creepiness. Typically, the men that are "creepy" are those that are incredibly passive, or their advances are constantly rejected due to their unawareness of how creepy they actually are.

Zakalwe

Banned

I mean, maybe numbers are nicer than calling someone a corpse? I guess to say, where is the line drawn at between "Guy" talk and sexist shit.

There's a power in dominating, especially via sexuality. It's not hard to see why some guys seem to be addicted to that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom