• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has ResetEra Taken Over Reddit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I'm browsing Reddit and there's a thread in askReddit about modern trends in society that you really don't like. I mention that I don't like the trend of people using preferred pronouns (he/him, she/her, they/them, etc...). Then I go to bed and wake up in the morning and see:

"Rule Violation: Warning for Promoting Hate

We’ve been alerted that you’ve violated Reddit’s rule against promoting hate in the following content. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. We don’t tolerate promoting hate based on identity or vulnerability, and any communities or people that encourage or incite violence or hate towards marginalized or vulnerable groups will be banned. If you’re reported for any further violations of Reddit’s Content Policy, additional actions including banning may be taken against your account(s)."

I'm like... answering the question in the thread means that I'm promoting hate and my account could be banned? What?!
I feel like things are getting weird both online and in society these days. Does anyone else feel like this is getting out of hand lately?

Last edited:

///PATRIOT

Banned
So I'm browsing Reddit and there's a thread in askReddit about modern trends in society that you really don't like. I mention that I don't like the trend of people using preferred pronouns (he/him, she/her, they/them, etc...). Then I go to bed and wake up in the morning and see:

We’ve been alerted that you’ve violated Reddit’s rule against promoting hate in the following content. Reddit is a place for creating community and belonging, not for attacking marginalized or vulnerable groups of people. We don’t tolerate promoting hate based on identity or vulnerability, and any communities or people that encourage or incite violence or hate towards marginalized or vulnerable groups will be banned. If you’re reported for any further violations of Reddit’s Content Policy, additional actions including banning may be taken against your account(s)."

I'm like... answering the question in the thread means that I'm promoting hate and my account could be banned? What?!
I feel like things are getting weird both online and in society these days. Does anyone else feel like this is getting out of hand lately?
First time on Reddit?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I think that's pretty much a given, however I would point out that much like twitter, reddit does not accurately depict trends or attitudes in the real world.

It's why people are eternally angry on the platform because they often find there views are fringe in reality which conflict with their positive reinforcement on the platform/s.

For example I hate GAAS titles and get really pissed off about them, but I recognise I am in the minority and your average gamer loves slapping down anouther £60 for a new raid on Destiny only for it to be vaulted 2 years later, and no amount of lecturing about how anti consumer it is will fix that.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't like the trend of people using preferred pronouns

How Dare You Greta GIF

TylerD

Was that the extent of your post on reddit or is there more to it?

Kssio_Aug

I will be honest, I like Reddit. I constantly use it to find answers for technical stuff, or to check some curiosities or get overall news on movies, books, games and TV shows, and for that it works fantastically well for me as it has TONS of communities of all sorts of things. Some of these are terrible, some are great, some are worth discussing, some are worth only reading.

Not getting in the merit of your question in that sub, because I find all this left and right strife super tiresome and not worth debating anymore. But the main issue about Reddit in general, is that it became a bit too popular and most of the big subs are just an echo chamber of whatever is the most popular opinion nowadays. I do not access r/AskReddit as I think it's quite a lame sub (most questions and answers there are not interesting at all), but I think it's one of the biggests subs in the site, so it might as well be similar to acessing facebook or twitter.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Only reddits worth browsing are the nsfw ones, shiposting and holup. Everything else is just woke shit. I'm actually shocked how shitposting is still up considering its full of so many jokes that are considered by the left, racists, transphobic, etc.

GHG

There's a subreddit for the country I live in (UAE) and I'm constantly seeing all kinds of woke nonsense on there but I've never encountered it in real life since living here.

So my theory is that either these people are fake/bots or they spend all their time on social media and never venture outside to interact with real people.

Places like Reset and Reddit are not the real world. They’re by and large for frustrated and angry people to lash out and inflict their own righteous sense of justice on others to make up for shortcomings in their own lives. It gives them a sense of belonging and order in an otherwise chaotic world. The irony is these same people would probably hate to live in a world where everyone is meting out this “justice” on others. They would become the Karens they like to trash.

Last edited:
I will be honest, I like Reddit. I constantly use it to find answers for technical stuff, or to check some curiosities or get overall news on movies, books, games and TV shows, and for that it works fantastically well for me as it has TONS of communities of all sorts of things. Some of these are terrible, some are great, some are worth discussing, some are worth only reading.

Not getting in the merit of your question in that sub, because I find all this left and right strife super tiresome and not worth debating anymore. But the main issue about Reddit in general, is that it became a bit too popular and most of the big subs are just an echo chamber of whatever is the most popular opinion nowadays. I do not access r/AskReddit as I think it's quite a lame sub (most questions and answers there are not interesting at all), but I think it's one of the biggests subs in the site, so it might as well be similar to acessing facebook or twitter.
Like most media, you have to sift through the muck in order to reach the meaningful information you’re searching for.

Reddit is super helpful to get answers to very random and specific questions, but most of the posts there, even discounting the woke shit, are incredibly boring and pointless. If you go to any niche gaming subreddit 99% of the posts are either going to be:

1) shitty fan art
2) a picture of a guy holding up the box to an old game and being like "hey guys remember this super old rare game, anyone else ever play this????" (and the game is Super Mario Bros 3)

So basically it is like if they combined Facebook and Tumblr.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Welcome to Reddit I guess. There's some great subs as long as they have no chance of being politicised in any way, and even then... there's still a chance.

/r/politicalcompassmemes is the latest to get the 1984 treatment from Reddit admins using mods as puppets. Was sincerely one of the only places online where (most) people would be able to make fun of other people on the political spectrum as well as themselves, now it's no fun allowed again so it'll die off and the site as a whole will become an even bigger echo chamber.

Ehhhh... People that say that "it's not the real world" are not quite correct.

So people that are as extreme as they are in those platforms -- it is true that, by and large, people don't truly behave that way in real life.

BUT -- there *is* a very large group of "useful idiots" that think they're being nice allies by soft-adopting a lot of this thought process. So you end up with all this stuff in the corporate world, at the supermarket, at family gatherings, when discussing with your neighbors what to do about rising crime in the city, when talking about video games and movies, and one that's near and dear to me: when dating (an incredibly huge amount of woke/woke-adjacent chicks out there. EDIT: in fairness, that's because I live in a very blue area, and the biggest demographic for dating are liberal, middle/upper class white women in their 30s; this is, by far, THE most zealous/religious demographic when it comes to woke ideology). And those are just some examples of many; this stuff is very pervasive.

This is why I didn't hesitate to sign up for NeoGAF gold. I feel like this site is one of the last places that truly allows discussion and free thoughts. So I want to support that.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

It's probably been said but I haven't read down through the thread to see. Reddit has attached itself to the same demographic that we have in Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, TikTok and other "social" platforms. It's not a platform for free expression but it's bound by legislation of the current Western social standards. Those standards are "this is what ___ class/people/society believes; if you disagree with this...you're a tyrant." I knew this years ago when someone tried dragging me into Facebook. I knew that there were things I could post or share that may offend people. However, this was like 2009 and you wouldn't get your account frozen or banned as it wasn't anything profane, derogatory or discriminating. Sites should have policies which are relatively universal that state they don't discriminate against: race, sex, religion, etc. Because that's fair and that's humane. The sites have changed those three and added not to discriminate against anyone who identifies as ____ fill in the blanks because it only gets bigger every year.

Where does that leave us? I'm for peace and peace doesn't mean agreeing with the mobs. It means I say "thank you" and walk away. That's what I'd do is leave these platforms alone. NeoGAF has plenty here that provides an escape from social agendas because...it's about games. Video games are an escape from reality and a forum dedicated to that is really all I need.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A couple of days ago, Hashtag TwitterHatesWomen was trending. I checked it out and saw that they had banned a black woman who recited a bad poem about how women are being told to shut up about womens rights by men who just transitioned. thousands of other women replied back and pointed out that they had also been banned for so-called transphobia but the posts they had been banned for were the most vanilla criticisms ever. Reminded me of era bans.

In short, every social media place is like this now. They are all scared of activists who are quick to label everyone transphobic and cancel them.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I really don't get why people care so much about the pronoun thing. It's just a "whatever I think that's weird but I'll go with it because it doesn't really effect me" thing for me.

It IS the norm at this point. Try having that attitude in corporate America for instance and you are likely to get yourself fired. It's not that purple site's doing.

You won't actually run into it that much IRL anyways... lol

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
If you can't turn to the internet for free speech then where can you go? It's getting ridiculous. Having to withhold your views will only cause resentment.
Write a book? Create a magazine?

Hell create a website on the... dun dun dunnnn... internet.

Free speech isn't about forcing every private entity to let you say what you want. It's not even about the government letting you say what you want, anywhere you want, anytime either. It's about ensuring you have an avenue for free speech, and you DO have plenty of avenues for it as there's nothing illegal about arguing against pronouns.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really don't get why people care so much about the pronoun thing. It's just a "whatever I think that's weird but I'll go with it because it doesn't really effect me" thing for me.

It IS the norm at this point. Try having that attitude in corporate America for instance and you are likely to get yourself fired. It's not that purple site's doing.

Thank you for conforming, citizen. Or is it, Butt/Hole?

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

There was a thread on resetera about some 13 year old black kids beating an elderly black man to death with a traffic cone while laughing and smiling.

I called them animals. I got banned for 3 months for racism.

Lol. I'm done with that fucking site.

Gonna send them a message to delete my account off of there.

There's still a few niche subreddits worth visiting but the mainstream ones are just cringe. If you even hint at going outside the mainstream narrative you'll be downvoted and dogpiled to hell.

There was a thread on resetera about some 13 year old black kids beating an elderly black man to death with a traffic cone while laughing and smiling.

I called them animals. I got banned for 3 months for racism.

Lol. I'm done with that fucking site.

Gonna send them a message to delete my account off of there.

I made the mistake of going over with the crowd when the rift happened in 2017. (The one smart thing I'm glad I did, though, was to keep my GAF account during that time.)

I watched in real time as even previously reasonable people were getting radicalized in their extreme leftist ideology. At first it was confined to the off topic section but then very quickly started infesting the gaming section. I saw the writing on the wall and requested my account be fully closed and deleted, and I never looked back.

GymWolf

A mix between mental illness and being attention whores.

Last edited:

Arimer

Its definitely getting worse. I"m not sure why Everythign is now hate speech but reddit did change their rules last year to make it to it where you none of their rules applied to hate agaisnt whites or men. They changed it after getting called out on it but they still won't do any action on posts that are towards what they consider people with power.

Not ot mention Bardfinn one of the biggest mods pushing for the hate speech ruels beat his wife and son and still doesn't pay child support so thats the kind of people trying to push their morals on everyone.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I loathe resetera ... I like the Reddit subs I go to. OnePlus 9 Pro, extra mile (NSFW), glowing rectangles, Tourette, cochlear implants, etc... I don't go into general or political subs. Frak that!

Hezekiah

Banned
I read Reddit a lot, but rarely post on it, and I didn't realise they were doing that kind of bullshit.

Does that mean 4chan is going to become mainstream then?

Woggleman

I don't think anybody should be banned over it but I really don't have an issue with trans people. I would think twice about aligning yourself with terfs because many of them seriously hate men. Places like Gender Critical which is a terf forum have some of the worst misandry you can find online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom