• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Funny how things change: couple years back IaF was the one series I was the most into, and I looked forward to every new GoT episode and enjoyed reading the obsessive book/show comparisons and nitpicks. The combination of WoW-in-limbo and the early eps of s5 not grabbing me, made me drop it all like a brick. I still need to watch s5 and 6 and I'd be hard-pressed to remember where DwD ended. It'd probably be best I rush through both seasons and catch 7 while it airs, otherwise I'll never get my interest for the series back.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Funny how things change: couple years back IaF was the one series I was the most into, and I looked forward to every new GoT episode and enjoyed reading the obsessive book/show comparisons and nitpicks. The combination of WoW-in-limbo and the early eps of s5 not grabbing me, made me drop it all like a brick. I still need to watch s5 and 6 and I'd be hard-pressed to remember where DwD ended. It'd probably be best I rush through both seasons and catch 7 while it airs, otherwise I'll never get my interest for the series back.

My dude, season 5 def starts off slow and the season is never as amazing as the seasons before, but the last couple of episodes are great and season 6 is arguably the best one. Season 5 had an episode that many called the best episodes in the series, until season 6 topped it by a metric ton.

That episode in season 6 set a new standard for medieval combat.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
My dude, season 5 def starts off slow and the season is never as amazing as the seasons before, but the last couple of episodes are great and season 6 is arguably the best one. Season 5 had an episode that many called the best episodes in the series, until season 6 topped it by a metric ton.

That episode in season 6 set a new standard for medieval combat.

Yeah I heard. I just told what I posted to a co-worker and he said s6 is by far the best with ep9 as the best ep of the series. Have they moved past the books with s6?

I don't blame him for a second for wanting to do whatever he wants at this point in his life, such as reveling in fame, fortune, and glory.

But as a ASOIAF fan... damn

Also I never wanted a Robert's Rebellion show. We already know everything that happens, especially after last season. What are people dying to see? Stannis eating horses? Tywin sitting on his ass until the last episode?
Yes, the more Tywin the better.

_Ryo_

I think a Game of Thrones anthology series ala Fargo, American Horror stories, etc could be pretty great. Should only be 5-7 episodes a season though.

Black_Sun

We dont know enough about Loras and Margaery in the books, but they pretty much follow Olena, no? Everyone hates Melisandre, can you imagine what fuckery she'd start in Kings Landing? Stannis would make enemies of everyone including Littlefinger and Varys.
Also, its very cliche in Westeros history to look down on kings who don't fight. None of that stuff against Loras means anything.

LF and Varys are already Stannis' enemies. LF despises Stannis(since Stannis would execute and fire him) and Varys is against anyone that's not his chosen Targaryen candidate. Which is fine because Stannis wanted to immediately cut off both their heads(along with Joffrey, Cersei and Pycelle's) once he reaches KL.

Book and show, Loras is supposed to be a good fighter. Renly fights in the books at least, although he's a middling jouster.

Anyways we now enough about Loras to know that Olenna doesn't think much of him either. Here's Olenna's response when Marge says that Loras thought he would be a good king:

"Loras is young," Lady Olenna said crisply, "and very good at knocking men off horses with a stick. That does not make him wise

Can Dunk & Egg be read independently of Song of fire & Ice or should I read the main series first if there are important connections/references?

jett

D-Member
Cute, he still thinks he will finish writing A Song of Ice & Fire.

This guy. I also can't help but notice that he doesn't even mention A Dream of Spring.

It's because he combined TWOW with ADOS into one massive book, it's what it's taking so long to write. Coming 2025.

We're not doing Robert's Rebellion either. I know thousands of you want that, I know there's a petition... but by the time I finish writing A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, you will know every important thing that happened in Robert's Rebellion. There would be no surprises or revelations left in such a show, just the acting out of conflicts whose resolutions you already know. That's not a story I want to tell just now; it would feel too much like a twice-told tale.
This quote scares me. I feel like there isn't much more to reveal...which scares me what more we are going to find out about the mad king. I like him the way he is, and don't want his story "fleshed" out by finding out something stupid like he went mad from a vision of the white walkers, hence "burn them all". I'm probably reaching...I just want no more. I think what we know of the rebellion is the perfect amount.

duckroll

This quote scares me. I feel like there isn't much more to reveal...which scares me what more we are going to find out about the mad king. I like him the way he is, and don't want his story "fleshed" out by finding out something stupid like he went mad from a vision of the white walkers, hence "burn them all". I'm probably reaching...I just want no more. I think what we know of the rebellion is the perfect amount.

He's not talking about the Mad King. Keep in mind that in the books, he hasn't even written the full account of the Tower of Joy yet.

He's not talking about the Mad King. Keep in mind that in the books, he hasn't even written the full account of the Tower of Joy yet.
I just assumed when he talked about the rebellion that he he meant everything surrounding that period, including the mad king. I'm probably worrying about nothing anyway, but I'm afriad of things I love turning to crap. So far the show hasn't let me down---haven't touched the books.

Patriots7

Anyone would be good with the right advisors provided they listen. Stannis had Davos and Melisandre. Renly had Loras????

Stannis is a fusion of Oliver Cromwell, Tiberius Caesar and Henry Tudor (who were all pretty successful rulers albeit tough, miserly and filled with rebellions). So he has all the right ingredients to be a decent ruler. Not a beloved king but someone who can strengthen the kingdom and likely transition Westeros to an absolute monarchy.

On the other side, any big characters who know Renly but aren't in love with him are disparaging of him:

This is all sounds like a guy who doesn't know what he's doing but wants to be king to stroke his ego. So essentially Trump but likeable
Renly actually didn't want to be king. His entire plan was to take Robert's children away from Cersei at the instant of his death in order to ensure that the Lannister's would not take over the realm.

Renly then nearly united all of Westeros against the Lannister's (If I remember correctly, he told Catelyn that he would let Robb rule as King in the North as long as he paid fealty to the Iron Throne) until he was shadow killed.

Stannis meanwhile...knew that the children were bastards and decided to brood at Dragonstone.

Renly had foresight and the ability to unite people. Stannis alienated everyone he was in contact with (up until Renly's death, not really fair to count his slight character development).

If Renly lives and Stannis dies, the only threats to the realm are the Others and Aegon/Dany (Aegon might not have crossed though, as he would not have met Tyrion).

Sean C

Renly then nearly united all of Westeros against the Lannister's (If I remember correctly, he told Catelyn that he would let Robb rule as King in the North as long as he paid fealty to the Iron Throne) until he was shadow killed.
Not correct. He did say that to Catelyn, but Catelyn knew that that was an offer that Robb could not accept.

The point of Renly as a character is that he's a shallow person who has flash but no substance, and he comprehensively flunks GRRM's most important test for a leader, he cares only about himself, not the good of the realm. Stannis, meanwhile, has substance but no flash.

We're not doing Dunk & Egg. Eventually, sure, I'd love that, and so would many of you. But I've only written and published three novellas to date, and there are at least seven or eight or ten more I want to write

Is he trolling

Not correct. He did say that to Catelyn, but Catelyn knew that that was an offer that Robb could not accept.

The point of Renly as a character is that he's a shallow person who has flash but no substance, and he comprehensively flunks GRRM's most important test for a leader, he cares only about himself, not the good of the realm. Stannis, meanwhile, has substance but no flash.

Yep.

So, he's currently working on:

Four new shows
The second Ice & Fire series
Four Wild Card books
Finishing Ice & Fire.

And probably two more shows.

- EW: Game of Thrones: HBO clarifies prequels, final seasons plan
”I want to put the prequels in context," Bloys began. ”It should go without saying I love having a show with this much intense interest around it. Even the smallest bit of information is a big deal and I appreciate that. But I wanted to make sure fans know this is a really embryonic process. I haven't even seen outlines. In the press at large, everybody said, ‘there are four spinoffs' and they assume that means each one is happening and we're going to have a new Game of Thrones show per quarter. That's not what's going on. The idea is not to do four shows. The bar set by [Benioff and Weiss] is so high that my hope is to get one show that lives up to it. Also, this is a long-term plan. Our No. 1 goal is the seventh season this summer and getting the eighth season written and aired."

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Can you talk about your strategy to develop multiple Thrones prequels at once? It's a unique approach, particularly for a network that's never made a spinoff or prequel series before.

CASEY BLOYS: You couldn't do this with a lot of shows. In talking with the drama group here, and the nice thing is George has created an entire universe. The fact that there's enough material to even contemplate making different prequels is crazy when you think about it. George has all these histories he's thought about and that's one reason why the books are so good.

The other reason, frankly, as I said, is the bar is so high. If you only developed one, everything would rest on that one shot. It's such a special show. I want to make sure that [any prequel] feels worthy. We have some amazing writers who want to take a shot at this. They're also looking at different times in the universe and all will have different feels. This increases our odds of finding one that's unique.

What sort of timeline are you looking at for potentially launching a new Thrones universe series?

Making Game of Thrones as good as possible is the No. 1 goal, and then we'll see about these scripts. You're not going to see a situation where the next show in the Thrones universe launches off the back of this one. The show that Dan and David have created will get its proper send off first. We wouldn't want to take away from that in any way.

I heard originally that one or more might be a limited series instead of a regular series. Is that anthology-style format possible?

At this point, everything is on the table. The idea is to find a series. It would be nice to find something that has the legs this one did. But if something works better as a limited series, sure.
I think it's great HBO keeps giving the producers the resources they need to each season as strong as possible, no matter how many — or few — episodes there are.

And circling back to what I said earlier, that's why I want to temper the exception on prequels. We want to focus on season 7 and 8. If any of these scripts come to pass, you're not going to see anything air anytime close to the season 8 finale,

Martin is credited on two of the prequels, and he says he's involved with all. Is he actively co-writing these pilots or is he more like the franchise's creative advisor?

It varies project by project. The writers each have to decide how they operate with George. Some like to collaborate, some look at the source material and do their own thing. There's no one way, but in all cases, George will be reading the scripts and weighing in.

And because they're all prequels there is no expectation of any roles in the prequels for the original cast?

Nope.

Paltheos

Winds was never coming out anyway so I guess this is OK.

Reading Martin's responses to the new series proposals though - 'Sure, I'm on board!' - And all his personal involvement in the projects just hilariously hammers in how much we're not getting book 6. It's funny, in a way.

More details in another interview with HBO president Casey Bloys:

- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Future Explained: Could All the Prequels Move Forward?
This is the first time HBO is revisiting one of its originals. How did the idea for these successor shows come about? Was this an organic decision or did pitches start coming in out of the woodwork?

I consider us incredibly fortunate to have a show that this many people have such interest in and that is such a good show. Truly I think it will go down as one of the best shows in the history of television. It would be insane for a network not to at least entertain the idea of a successor shows — I was going to say "prequel" but they're not spin-offs because there are no existing characters going off the flagship. It's not Laverne & Shirley from Happy Days; they are prequels. But it would be insane — with a universe like George has created that is so vast and has so many characters and so many timelines — to not, at least, entertain the idea, which is what we're doing.

George has said there's a fifth one in the works. Who is the writer?

I have a deal for four spinoffs right now with four writers.

You're taking a highly unusual development path with these; it's rare to develop four properties at the same time. Why go this route?

This franchise is really rich and very exciting. It is going to be really, really hard for anybody to match the level that this show has set in terms of quality and filmmaking. So the idea was, if we're going to try it, let's take a couple of shots and see. My hope is at least one lives up to the level of quality Benioff and Weiss have set. But again, it's also very early in the process. I haven't even seen an outline for them. The priority here is obviously season seven and then season eight. You're not going to see a situation where we're launching a prequel on the back of the final season. The final season is going to be its own event. It's going to be a big deal for us and the fans. I'm not interested in using it to launch any other show. We mentioned the spin-offs because obviously there's a lot of interest in them, but it's a very embryonic process, and you know how development goes — it can be a long process. We confirmed their existence because there was a lot of interest, but it's not something that we are fast-tracking to get done to air immediately after the final season. I'm guessing fans will need some time to decompress from how amazing the final season is.

If these outlines and these scripts come in, can you see one of these prequels airing before the final season?

No, absolutely not. No way. There's not going to be anything — the only thing that will be Game of Thrones related on the air will be season seven and season eight, and then it will be a good long while if and before anything [new] gets on the air. Again, I say that only because I think when we confirmed the [prequels'] existence — that we were exploring this — that read to the general public that, "Wow, these are far along." We were just confirming it so people didn't speculate.

You've said before HBO is not going to have a version of Game of Thrones on in every quarter — which is a strategy AMC is doing with The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. But in success, what happens if three of the four come in great?

You know the odds in development. I think that is probably unlikely. I was at Touchstone during Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. They had a hit show and they aired four in a week. This show is very special. I'm not looking to have as many as possible. My sense right now is we would be very lucky if one of the four rises to the level that we have set. Now, theoretically, what if they're all great? That's a high-class problem that I'll solve when it comes to that. But knowing what we know about the development process, that's why we wanted to increase our odds. But I do not see a scenario where we have more than one. But again, high-class problem.

This is such a sprawling world in terms of timelines, mythology and characters. How much trepidation do you feel starting over from scratch? These are all prequels and as you've said, completely separate from the successful world you've already built.

Doing any show, any pilot, any potential series is very difficult — it's lightning in a bottle. There's a little bit of magic, a little bit of luck. Even with the best of scripts, it has to be cast just so, it has to be directed just so, written just so. In the best case scenario, it's difficult to get the show right. What you've got in this situation is probably one of the best shows in television history as a benchmark. That makes it that much harder. We have world-class writers taking shots at this. I'm hopeful, but the fans have come to expect a really high level of writing, acting and storytelling, so it's a high bar, no question.

Considering all of the projects are prequels, will these be more along the lines of Fear the Walking Dead — which exists in the same universe but does not have any direct connection to the flagship — or Better Call Saul, which will eventually take viewers to the beginning of Breaking Bad? Could these eventually connect to a flagship or will they be in an island of one?

The whole world is connected to some extent family tree-wise, and the timelines are so vast that unless you jumped ahead tens or hundreds of years, I don't see [the prequels connecting] happening. The other point I want to make about clamping down spin-off fever is if none of them work, remember, we are building up our drama slate: We have Westworld, which is our highest-rated freshman drama in history; Watchmen, which we're very hopeful that Damon Lindelof is excited about working on that; we've got Lovecraft Country; Alan Ball's show; we've got David Simon's new show. So it would be nice to have a Game of Thrones property, but the fate of the network does not hang in the balance.

If you were to look, say, 10 years into the future, what's the state of Game of Thrones on HBO?

Going back to that Who Wants to Be a Millionaire comparison, I think overdoing it — like having multiple shows — there's a risk of diluting the quality and driving it into the ground. I have no interest in doing that. But it would be nice if we got one of these off the ground and it ran for multiple seasons. The nice thing about George's universe is it's so vast. Could you do another one after that? Sure. By the way, in 10 years, I'm guessing that will be someone else's problem! (Laughs.)

How involved is George in all of these?

He's co-writing two of them. A lot of it will depend on how much George is engaged and how he clicks with writers and how much the writers want to bring him into the process. That will vary project by project. But he's a fantastic resource. Nobody knows the universe better than the one who created it.

Will Weiss and Benioff be credited as exec producers even though they want to walk away from the franchise after the flagship ends?

In theory, they are entitled to passive participation as a sign of respect for what they've done with the franchise. By the time the eighth season airs, they will have been with this show for 13 years. And I think it's important to point out this is the only thing they've worked on. They haven't gone out and pitched other TV shows or movies. This is an all-consuming job, and they want to see it through. When they're done, they don't want to feel any sense of responsibility or obligation, and they said to me they hope to watch whatever spin-off they have purely as a fan, sitting at home, not overseas working on a production. So I understand that they need a clean break. They've done something historic and huge and they don't want to feel obligated to participate or offer any guidance to a show.

Will they have any say in terms of what moves forward, if anything?

They don't want any. They want to focus on, at this point, season eight. I don't think they want to be distracted by somebody else's writing that they're not responsible for. They have said that 13 years is enough.

On the flipside, what happens if you're not impressed with any of the four prequels? Would you try again?

Maybe. I don't know, it's hard to say. We've got some really amazing writers so I'm hopeful. It would be nice to find something else there. HBO will survive with or without a prequel. But that said, the world is so rich, it'd be great if we could crack one.

Considering the scope of this world and the volume of characters, have you considered doing something like a prequel anthology where it's either a different character every season or every episode, a la Black Mirror?

No. I want to be mindful of overdoing it. I look at this universe as very precious resource. I do not want to overexploit it.

Binabik15

Martin is more fickle with his projects then I am with my Warhammer/modelling projects. We won't ever get another full ASoiAF book, are we. Oh well. I've only waited for a dozen years.

vordhosbn

Banned
So the idea was, if we're going to try it, let's take a couple of shots and see. My hope is at least one lives up to the level of quality Benioff and Weiss have set. But again, it's also very early in the process.
So basically lets throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

If Tyrion (Peter - not some other actor) isn't in them, I'm not interested.

He has carried a few episodes on his own.

Tyrion is pretty much guaranteed to not be in any of the proposals. In fact, don't expect any obviously recurring characters. This is a huge setting that spans across a vast stretch of time. There's a reason why they don't want to use the word "spin-off" about these proposals, because that implies recurring characters.

IGN interview with Jane Goldman:
We don't know too much about the four Game of Thrones spin-off series currently in the works at HBO. We know they are confirmed to all be prequels, that no existing characters will be included, and that no potential spin-off will air until after the main series ends with Season 8. One of the spin-offs is being developed by GoT creator George R.R. Martin and Kick-Ass screenwriter Jane Goldman. I chatted on the phone today with Goldman about the series, asking if it will contain any supernatural elements or cover any events or other stories mentioned in the existing books or on the current show.

IGN: George R.R. Martin has said these spin-offs will all be prequels, that there won’t be any existing characters in them, but will the series cover stories that readers of the books may know about or are these all brand new stories that have never been mentioned before?

Jane Goldman: Yeah, I think I can say if I was able to say what mine was — yeah, I think as a book reader or as someone who watched the series, you would say, “Oh, that! OK.” Yeah, it would be recognizable as a past event, but I think that’s probably as far as I can go.

IGN: Can you say if there’s any sort of magic or supernatural creatures on your particular show?

Goldman: Yeah, I mean those are things that exist in the universe that George has created and it’s certainly — that’s an aspect that I love so, umm, yeah. (laughs) I’m sure there’s an element of that in anything that’s being developed but, yeah, that’s — I guess so, yeah. I feel like I’m saying way too much! I can say absolutely nothing.

IGN: Have you already done some writing on it or has that not happened yet?

Goldman: Uh, no, I think, yeah, you know what? I think possibly different things at different stages. I think I can comfortably say because George did mention this in his blog that, yeah, I’ve had the pleasure of going to spend some time with him and working on things and talking about ideas and that was an honor and a pleasure. He’s a great guy and we’ve had enormous fun talking about ideas and characters and all sorts of interesting things.

IGN: Do you know when after the main Game of Thrones series ends your show would air?

Goldman: I mean, in terms of what spin-offs will happen, I think nobody knows at this stage of the game, but the sense I get is HBO is very keen to develop something to go on the air sooner rather than later after the series ends, which is why they’ve been in development in earnest I think.

IGN: So none of these are a given that they’re going to happen? They’re going to pick the one they feel strongest about?

Goldman: Yeah, I think that’s something George talked about in the blog that he did which is to do some really serious development, which I think is a massively important thing to do in television rather than rushing. And, yeah, so I think George outlined sort of the exact plan that’s there so I think better to take it from his mouth than mine.
Not a lot of new info here, though she does indicate that they're pushing hard on these to get something up soon after S8, and at least hers will be that's recognizable by book readers and people that watched the show.

While, I'm at it, here's a couple of brief Bloys quotes from the TCA event at the end of July:
HBO is still in development on four confirmed in-development Game of Thrones prequel series, but don't expect any of them to debut until at least a year after the main series' final episode airs.

"The number one priority in all of this is the final season of Game of Thrones. I don't want any spinoff or anything that detracts or distracts from that," HBO president Casey Bloys told members of the press during a small group interview at the 2017 summer TV Critics' Association press tour. "That season will happen, my guess is it would be at least a year before you saw anything else. What I don't want is the attention to be drawn from the final season, which I think is going to be epic and amazing, and somehow have the distraction of a new Game of Thrones airing right after it. I think it's best to separate it, and that's what we'll do."

During his executive session during the TCA HBO press day, Bloys was asked to clarify that none of the Game of Thrones spinoff shows that are currently being considered include characters from the current show.

"That is correct,"
Bloys sated. So even if a character is lucky enough to survive all eight seasons of Game of Thrones, there will be no further adventures with them. So no Everyone Loves Khaleesi or House Stark Hunters. Sorry.

It's still early days on the development of the Game of Thrones spinoff shows. Bloys said he "[hasn't] seen anything yet. With a show like Game of Thrones and the level of quality they've set, we'd be lucky to get one that hits, and we're hopeful."

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So it will be a famous event from the history of Ice and Fire that readers of the books have heard about and magic 'n shit will be in it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Don't know if I'll bother. To me Westeros isnt that interesting, certainly not as interesting as other fantasy worlds.

The reason why the show is so popular is because of the characters not the world its based on. There isn't anything in series that makes me go "wow I would really like a show based on this!" Maybe the war between the Children of The Forest and the First Men, but that would be treading grounds that are already being explored in Game of Thrones.

Now there's FIVE pilots on deck?
HBO said that it's four a couple of weeks ago. (I'll update the thread title.) Keep in mind that they're not going to make all of these. It's essentially a bakeoff where they'll take a look at the scripts and figure out how to proceed from there.

Wray

I hope they pick one and do a major series on it, then bake all the other ones into an anthology series.

Top Bottom