• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

Brashnir

Hopefully they choose areas and stories to tell which aren't already well-worn ground in the show's history. There's only so much you can do to make a series interesting when the audience already know pretty much exactly what happened. (see: Robert's Rebellion)

It's about their priorities as a company.

But how can you look at this and say they absolutely aren't working on stuff like that? I'm not saying their services can't be better, but they aren't going to just drop all the people they want working on content just so they can put a lot more completely different people working on the apps/streaming.

Black_Sun

Dunk & Egg sounds great in theory but would be too dry for the audience after 8 seasons of dragons and white walkers. I'm assuming they'd add more sex and violence but it wouldn't be enough.

Dance Of Dragons would be pretty fucking expensive (16+ dragons) and they wouldn't have any well fleshed out characters to rely on. There certainly are badass characters (chief among them Aemond Targaryen) but the ASOIAF novels provide far more material to work off, for characters.

Robert's Rebellion would also be expensive, but dragon-less. Martin seems rather hesitant to fully flesh everything out about it, so I kinda think he'd veto this.

The First Blackfyre Rebellion and Robert's Rebellion would be the easiest ones to do.

In fact, that's probably where they'll go with it.

But Robert's Rebellion could only last 3-4 seasons max.

The Blackfyre Rebellion era can last a long time.

Her character isn't supposed to be inconsistent. It's just badly constructed. The show producers do not know what to do with Sansa.

I mean what was the point of her storyline in season 5, for example? How did she grow as a character?

Anyways you're looking too deeply into this. The writers are a lot more incompetent than you know. O

I mean these are the dudes that wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Troy.

And the guy who wrote Suicide Squad also wrote Fury.

That's irrelevant.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Or you know, work on original content. not FOUR spin offs.

But they also do that.

Why do you think that them looking into 4 possibly shows, which they will probably only pick up one, means that their web app is being ignored or that no new shows are coming? They can do more than one thing at a time.

Sillverrr

Emotional mind: just finish the goddamn book series, George!

Wise mind: at least we're getting more entertainment out of this universe, that most likely will see a definitive ending.

And I get that spin-offs are all the rage these days, but four of them...? This is more about HBO needing hits than quality production.

The thing is that Ramsay could kill them both. Jon first and then the giant. Ramsay's an expert marksman and that giant is an easy target.

The thing isn't that Sansa is purposefully inconsistent. She's inconsistently written.

She's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim, she's a player, she's a pawn, she's a victim. Her character is all over the place.

It doesn't help that Sophie Turner promises every season that this is the season when Sansa finally becomes a player. Show Sansa is a Cersei-wannabe at best.

Ramsey clearly didnt think he was in any danger from John. He first offered to settle it the "old way". And was smiling while shooting John for the first few arrows then got increasingly more nervous the closer John got. It was completly in his character to behave that way.

Wagram

I would love a prequel series focused on Ned and Robert, but I really want the same actors. I know that's impossible given the time period.

kswiston

You guys who want Robert's Rebellion, a story in which we already know what happened and have seen references/flashbacks to many times, are crazy.

kswiston

If we went by that logic the tv show would've never been made.

The audience for any Game of Thrones spinoff show is going to be the people who watched Game of Thrones.

Book readers vs Show watchers is completely different (and thanks to GRRM, everyone had surprises for 2 years now).

At least pick something that only nerds who read World of Ice and Fire, or the various novellas, have an idea about.

jett

D-Member
Totes unsurprising. GoT is a massive cash cow for all involved and they weren't going to just let that shit go. I hope for Dunk and Egg stories.

gutshot

Robert's Rebellion is probably the safest bet, considering it has the deepest connection to the current show.

But I would really love to see a Blackfyre Rebellion series. The inter-family politics and drama is right up HBO's alley. Plus I know the perfect Bloodraven...

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7577631/madseye.jpg[/IMG]

pa22word

Robert's Rebellion is probably the safest bet, considering it has the deepest connection to the current show.

But I would really love to see a Blackfyre Rebellion series. The inter-family politics and drama is right up HBO's alley. Plus I know the perfect Bloodraven...

Code:
[IMG]https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7577631/madseye.jpg[/IMG]

I mean, why not both?

Give the series a little rest once it's done, and then do a got series 2 that starts at the blackfyre rebellion and ends with Robert sitting on the iron throne? You'd have multiple seasons of stuff to work with, probably just as long if not longer than the og series, and everyone is already familiar with the cast of characters so you get some continuity.

Hell you could even extended it a bit by going ahead and doing the grey joy rebellion for shits and giggles too.

Erm, I think I'm getting rebellions mixed up... wasn't there a rebellion under the targs that happened a little bit before Robert's that involved Sam's dad or something?

gutshot

I mean, why not both?

Give the series a little rest once it's done, and then do a got series 2 that starts at the blackfyre rebellion and ends with Robert sitting on the iron throne? You'd have multiple seasons of stuff to work with, probably just as long if not longer than the og series, and everyone is already familiar with the cast of characters so you get some continuity.

Hell you could even extended it a bit by going ahead and doing the grey joy rebellion for shits and giggles too.

Erm, I think I'm getting rebellions mixed up... wasn't there a rebellion under the targs that happened a little bit before Robert's that involved Sam's dad or something?

You might be thinking of the War of the Ninepenny Kings. That was the last gasp of the Blackfyre line but it wasn't the famous Rebellion that started it all.

Anung

Un Rama
I'd love Dunk and Egg but they'd probably edge it up to make it fit with the show so everyone will get raped.

pr0cs

All for more in that universe.
The World of Ice and Fire has a ton of stories /sub-stories that could make for some cool TV

let's have 4 different shows about people strolling around Essos doing nothing
9tTWq1s.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The World of Ice & Fire"

Anthology show. Each season explores something new. Two-year intervals between seasons, so as to allow thorough creative development between stories.

You want your Robert's Rebellion? Good. Here it is. Season 1. You want The Dance of Dragons? Here it is, Season 2. You want your post-Thrones spinoff featuring Arya Stark exploring Sothros? You've fucking got it. We just called Maisie.

If one of these ideas sticks way more than the others, guess what? In 2030, you can go back and expand it into an eight-season run. If you're feeling frisky.

In the meantime? I think this could work.

Top Bottom