• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO has five potential Game of Thrones spinoffs in development [GRRM & Bloys updates]

I'll finish GoT because I'm invested now, but man... I really don't think I can go through another series of misery and heartbreak. I'm getting too old for that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just spend the money adapting Berserk and continue to rake in the cash.
The Red Wedding ain't got shit on the Eclipse

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
gimme dat Robert's Rebellion prequel thanks
This, I want to see badass Robert

main-qimg-e2620387c156a81c7fb333bd1948e256-c

Jon Snow and his trusty wolf and Arya stark, become detectives solving murders and occult mysteries on the mean streets of New Orleans - I mean braavos. Each episode more sexier and action packed.

game of thrones meets due south it's perfect!

Dueee southhh

Provided its not spoiled in the finale, I would love to see a show about the Long Night and what really happened outside the legends.

xevis

Banned
We have seven seasons of this stuff. I'd like to see it go away for a decade or so in favour of new programming.

Black_Sun

Ramsey clearly didnt think he was in any danger from John. He first offered to settle it the "old way". And was smiling while shooting John for the first few arrows then got increasingly more nervous the closer John got. It was completly in his character to behave that way.

If he wants to settle it the "old way" then he should pick up a sword.

It doesn't make sense that he'd fight with a bow and arrow with a guy that has a shield that can cover a significant chunk of his body

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why are people requesting Dunk & Egg? Those books aren't done either! (and won't be any time soon)

If there is to be a spin-off, it should at least be based on content that is finished - maybe even something wholly original.

Regardless, I think it's going to be a tough sell if it isn't filled with fantastical elements (dragons, magic, etc.) - coming off of the last few seasons of Game of Thrones, I doubt many would care to follow a more grounded tale like Robert's Rebellion (especially when we already know the outcome of that story) or whatever. It's gotta be set in ancient Valyria with dragons or in Asshai or Sothoryos or some shit.

~

Anyway I'd much rather HBO allocate 100% of their resources to totally original series, but if a spin off of Game of Thrones can help fund more Enlightened's and Getting On's, then I'm all for it.

Bandini

I hope they do something interesting like showing the Lannisters coming into power and taking control of Casterly Rock. I'd be down for something more like a sitcom too. Walder Frey: The Bachelor Years?

ryseing

I don't understand why they wouldn't just do a 10 or 20 or however many years later sequel instead of a prequel?

I'm struggling to think of a prequel that I liked besides a good chunk of what was shown in the Godfather part 2 and that was shown alongside a sequel.

Prequels also lack tension since the outcome is known.

There's a good chance Westeros won't exist after Thrones ends.

(Not spoilers, purely my speculation)

A Dunk and Egg miniseries would be fun. And tonally they're not quite as bleak as the main series is at times.

Then again, you get to the issue of those short stories not being done either.... *sigh*

Speevy

Banned
There's a good chance Westeros won't exist after Thrones ends.

(Not spoilers, purely my speculation)

Whitewalker spinoff.

Greg of House Wight: "RHHHHRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHCHHHHHHHH!"
Cindy of House Whitewalker: "FFFFFFFHHHHHFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRGGHHHH!"

<wedding song plays>

duckroll

I doubt HBO is really looking to produce 4 spinoffs at one go. More likely they want as many pitches as possible so they can pick one and move forward with it, and file the rest under "maybe later".

Honestly, I think a generational dynasty drama about the Targs make the most sense, given how much detail is already written in World of Ice and Fire, plus GRRM himself said there's a ton more in his head that he wants to put out at some point.

Speevy

Banned
I doubt HBO is really looking to produce 4 spinoffs at one go. More likely they want as many pitches as possible so they can pick one and move forward with it, and file the rest under "maybe later".

Honestly, I think a generational dynasty drama about the Targs make the most sense, given how much detail is already written in World of Ice and Fire, plus GRRM himself said there's a ton more in his head that he wants to put out at some point.

Written by Linda Antonnson in the credits. Now that would be something to see after all the shit she's given them.

ryseing

Shocked they haven't purchased the rights to The Cosmere yet.

Not enough sex, since Sanderson avoids the stuff, and it would be difficult to shoehorn some in.

They should have gotten on the Kingkiller train before Fox and Lin-Manuel did.

I dunno where HBO goes from here once Thrones ends. They've had success with big budget genre with Thrones and Westworld (somewhat with The Leftovers). Another genre adaptation is obvious but Thrones prequel seems like the safe route.

IMO they should swing for the fences and do Sandman, but I don't see them taking that chance.

mandiller

I'd be keen to see both Aegon's Conquest or the Blackfyre Rebellion, but maybe the rebellion would be more entertaining because it's not just a one-sided slaughter fest by a seemingly invincible enemy. We know a few details about both events, but there'd be some interesting characters and battles to explore there.

Robert's Rebellion is less interesting in my mind because it's so close to the events of Game of Thrones, and we already know a lot of the major plot points and outcomes. None of it is going to be shocking.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Jane Goldman writes some shit scripts. 4 prequels sounds excessive and seeing that name on one of them is a double blow

Adore her. Will watch basically anything she's involved with. And if it means we get something fun, outrageous and not overly dour or self-serious in the SoI&F universe I'm in.

KahooTs

Unless they go 1:1 for D&E there's no reason to think any of it will be good and good reason to think all of it will be shit.

Cartman86

Banned
I want a Legend of Korra style spinoff. Hundreds if not thousands of years into the future. They've discovered electricity etc.

Top Bottom