• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO officially developing third WWII miniseries with Spielberg and Hanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt the Pacific wasn't as good because there was almost no interaction between the 3 protagonists. instead of having a single story about a squad or company, you have to try and keep up with 3 independent stories.

Yeah, I always had trouble following who was who and whose story was what. Plus the settings looked pretty terrible - all the jungle scenes looked like they were on a sound stage.

LQX

Awesome. Did not love Pacific but I'm convinced it is one of those shows if I rewatch tomorrow or years from today it would change my mind on just how good it really was.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really didn't like The Pacific, if only because it really didn't evolve with how we felt about war at the time. Generation Kill just felt like the more honest series. Also, I kind of wish they had done a show about the USS Enterprise instead of yet another ground based show.

But anyway, I'm sure I'll tune into this whenever it happens.

RedSwirl

As much as I would love to see for example german side or russian side in the eastern front (where the biggest sacrifices were made) I can't blame that american company makes series about americans to americans. Sadly film industries in other countries don't have money or in germanys case will to make similar kind of series.

That's my biggest disappointment, that we'll probably never see anything on this level covering British or Russians.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Oh God I wanted to click on this thread and clicked the breaking bad finale instead and haven't watched it yet oh God oh God fuck fuck fuck!!

Edit: Ostfront or bust. Stalingrad, Kursk, crazy hot Russian sniper babes... So much more interesting.

Sayter

Sounds great. However, I wish there was a miniseries from the Germans perspective. I loved Das Boot and Stalingrad.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I'm a bit disappointed. Very few WWII series ever focus on the North African theatre.
Patton is the only major film or TV series I can think of that commits a lot of time to the Mediterranean side of the war.

LOL THR just posted the 'EXCLUSIVE' on their facebook. I didn't realize it was an old story. Even more embarrassing is that I made a thread about it back then.

Hilarious. I realized this was old news I'd already seen on GAF, but I didn't realize the great Scullibundo had reposted himself. Classic!

Also, screw the Pacific haters. That shit was great (even if it wasn't quite to the BoB level).

The Flash

Banned
2fadbe25-eaaa-42b7-8bf6-a8ec8684655a.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I really liked The Pacific. It was something different.

Released with subs by the BBC. Imagine if a US network tried to air this. lol

It's going to be shown in theaters and then released on TV and DVD. No word on what channel it's going to air on, however.

J2d

Not as hyped as I was for the pacific but I'll watch it, would have preferred Korea or something though.

matt05891

I really feel like I may be the only one who liked The Pacific over Band of Brothers. Granted the first time I watched it I did feel it was much below BoB and I was disappointed. However on re-watch I viewed it as it's own entity and now whenever I watch Band of Brothers I feel it's missing something The Pacific has. Maybe I just felt the brutality of war and it's effects on men as shown in The Pacific was of greater impact to my psyche then the brotherhood among soldiers in BoB. I really can't put a finger on what it is I see but the trauma soldiers go through is much more thoroughly portrayed in The Pacific. Australia where they dated women who then broke up with them because they expect them to die, the R&R island Leckie went to, the sheer horror on Pelilu and Oki, and the biggest and most powerful scene when Sledge breaks down crying while dove hunting after it's all over. Sure BoB is one of my favorite mini-series; don't get me wrong, but at least in my opinion I think they went above and beyond on The Pacific.

I don't see how this will top either of them but I know now to take it for what it is and not a "sequel" trying to dethrone the other. Take it as the homage it really is. I really am excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom